Sign in to follow this  
GregzTheGreat

Ballistic helmet + gas mask = not compatible. Why?

I joined DayZ roughly around 0.46-0.47.

I have seen from videos that the gask mask was once wearable along with the ballistic helmet.

This obviously is no longer the case.

Why did they remove the option to wear both of these items together? They posed no clipping issue and I personally feel they looked brilliant together.

The ballistic helmet as it stands struggles to match anything cosmetically in terms of facewear, the green balaclava is a little too dark to "match" the green of the helmet.

Of course, you can tell I am cosmetically biased, but regardless, let's answer the question.

• Like 3

Because they introduced the Gorka Helmet which is compatible with the Gas mask or Payday masks, along with the Face-shield.

I am aware that in real-life the Ballistic Helmet is capable of having the Gas mask attached to it, but it's not the case in DayZ anymore.

Also take it from someone who used to prioritize "Looks" over "Usefulness", don't do it, it's a waste of time and looking "Good" in this game does nothing but make you easier to kill.

• Like 3

Because they introduced the Gorka Helmet which is compatible with the Gas mask or Payday masks, along with the Face-shield.

I am aware that in real-life the Ballistic Helmet is capable of having the Gas mask attached to it, but it's not the case in DayZ anymore.

Also take it from someone who used to prioritize "Looks" over "Usefulness", don't do it, it's a waste of time and looking "Good" in this game does nothing but make you easier to kill.

Hm, that's the question though. Why would it not be the case in DayZ anymore just because they added a helmet that IS compatible? I would have imagined having two different types of helmet to use with the gas mask, which appears to be a highly valued item because of the way it looks, would satisfy a higher amount of people? Unless there is a specific intention / reason behind why they cannot be used together, it makes no sense. Obviously because it's yet to be justified.

And I'm not worried in regards of "usefulness" and "looks." I can find the balance. My problem is the guns themselves, I'm yet to use them enough to be good at battling others. But in terms of gear? I'm always well equipped (currently rocking a full ghillie on a hardcore private shard and a green half ghillie on normal servers.)

They said they removed it due to clipping issues, long ago.

• Like 1

They said they removed it due to clipping issues, long ago.

Does this mean they're going to remove the bow, as it "clips" through my stomach?

• Like 4

Does this mean they're going to remove the bow, as it "clips" through my stomach?

Not sure why they'd remove something to fix clipping issues, honestly. Don't understand it for the gasmask and really hope they don't for the bow especially, as it actually serves a purpose.

If the issue is purely cosmetic, there's really no reason to remove it while you fix it. Why not just leave it as it is and push a better version in the future? I don't really remember anything being wrong with it, but I rarely wore a gas mask as I like to look friendly as possible.

Edited by Beizs
  • Like 1

Every fucking hat in the game clips through masks to some extent. It was a pretty pointless change.

• Like 2

Every fucking hat in the game clips through masks to some extent. It was a pretty pointless change.

Still waiting for them to remove:

The Balaclava which can clip through hats

Hats which can clip through the Balaclava

Bandannas which clip through the Balaclava

Vests which clip through shirts

Character arms which clip through the sleeves of shirts at short distances

Ghillie hood which clips through EVERYTHING

Seriously...removing something because it cosmetically "clips" through something is literally the stupidest development protocol I've ever heard. I can't see that being useful in any way unless it contributed in some factor to server performance, but even then, who the heck is in charge of coding this game that a gas mask and a helmet slow down the game...lol

I mean the motorcycle helmet-gas mask combo made sense, because you shouldn't have been able to wear a motorcycle helmet AND the gas mask at the same time, but the former, makes no sense.

• Like 4

Still waiting for them to remove:

The Balaclava which can clip through hats

Hats which can clip through the Balaclava

Bandannas which clip through the Balaclava

Vests which clip through shirts

Character arms which clip through the sleeves of shirts at short distances

Ghillie hood which clips through EVERYTHING

Seriously...removing something because it cosmetically "clips" through something is literally the stupidest development protocol I've ever heard. I can't see that being useful in any way unless it contributed in some factor to server performance, but even then, who the heck is in charge of coding this game that a gas mask and a helmet slow down the game...lol

I mean the motorcycle helmet-gas mask combo made sense, because you shouldn't have been able to wear a motorcycle helmet AND the gas mask at the same time, but the former, makes no sense.

How do you have that "signature" every time you post? The "There once was a game know as DayZ..." I've always wondered.

They removed it due to clipping errors, despite as others mentioned there are several thins that also clip together. I really think they forgot about it.

How do you have that "signature" every time you post? The "There once was a game know as DayZ..." I've always wondered.

hzd3OT2.jpg

Top-right hand corner of your profile lets you edit it. Click that button and you'll see an option to edit your signature.

I don't freaking know.  <_<

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 1

hzd3OT2.jpg

Top-right hand corner of your profile lets you edit it. Click that button and you'll see an option to edit your signature.

No. They'll remove your stomach.

• Like 1

In reality the gas masks that come standard issue in the military are made to be worn with the kevlar helmet. If you are in an instance where you need to put on your gas mask because shit went down its probably a good idea to have a kevlar on as well. What good is being able to breathe filtered air when you can just get a round dropped in your dome?

Just make sure the signature does't clip your post, or they'll remove it.

*rimshot* *cough* *crickets* 

tumblr_inline_mhrycpwD9J1qbpmoi.jpg

Edited by o5pr3y
  • Like 2

Everyone likes to post dumb things. they didn't do it because of clipping. they did it so that the Gorka helmet had traits that the ballistic helmet didn't. Everyone loved the ballistic helmet and hated the Gorka helmet. the devs said "we gotta make the Gorka helmet more popular! hey! I got an idea! lets make the Gorka helmet be the only helmet that you can wear masks with! that'll do the trick!" so sure enough, people choose the Gorka helmet over the ballistic helmet for that one reason; so you can wear masks with them.

Everyone likes to post dumb things. they didn't do it because of clipping. they did it so that the Gorka helmet had traits that the ballistic helmet didn't. Everyone loved the ballistic helmet and hated the Gorka helmet. the devs said "we gotta make the Gorka helmet more popular! hey! I got an idea! lets make the Gorka helmet be the only helmet that you can wear masks with! that'll do the trick!" so sure enough, people choose the Gorka helmet over the ballistic helmet for that one reason; so you can wear masks with them.

That isn't true at all. The Gas mask was non compatible with the MICH helmet way before the MASKA helmet was put in game. Also the devs don't gain or lose anything when plays choose other items over the rest. The MASKA helmet isn't some premium content that nets Bohemia money with use. That post was a dumb thing.