Sign in to follow this  
The_Ghost (DayZ)

DayZ Keeps Eating My Characters

Throughout the year and the half i have played DayZ standalone, every time I get a geared up character, the DayZ servers will always eat my character and suck it into the abyss after I log out, and when I log back. I'm a new spawn.  Keep in mind, I don't log out in dangerous areas, with the exception of last time, but everyone had left the server and it was an enclosed area, so I know no zombie or player got me. 

This has happened, not exaggerating, every time I have gotten my character geared over the entirety of me playing Standalone.  This last time was the last straw.  Finally got that fucking black skull ski mask and an M4 after fighting against a squad of 4 guys for crash site loot. They leave, I log out in said enclosed area and when I log back in 15 minutes, DayZ has done it again. I've tried the whole log out ASAP and restart DayZ a couple times, and it didn't work. Killed myself a couple times, still didn't bring back that week-old character.

Please tell me anything else I haven't tried. If there is nothing else to do, there is no point in playing anymore, I'm sick of running around as a newspawn messing around. in Elektro. Yes, it's early access so the devs have player feedback to fix bugs.  This is a bug that has been here since the beginning, time to devote resources to fix it.  

if you get a new character upon entering a server, exit it immediately and go to another one, some servers don't connect to the central hive.

• Like 1

Do you have any programs that hides your IP address or change it randomly? Does your internet connection fluctuates a lot while you play? This "bug" have been around, and some people found ways to avoid it, but others never experience it at all, so it's probably not a problem with the game code itself, and mostly something either hardware (weird, but plausible) or something with internet connection.

When I log out of a server, I always go back to the main menu before browsing and choosing another server, or going back to the same, waiting between 60 and 120 seconds. (If the game doesn't crash. After a game hard crash, somehow I always got back the character I was playing last.)

If you get a  message in red, bottom left corner (Admin) saying that "the server couldn't retrieve the character information from the hive and was reset." or something similar, just log out, don't move and stay in the server, log out and log back in after a few seconds, or choose a different server. (If you're in the public hive.)

I got this message at least 40+ times, and always retrieved my character. In 0.48, sometimes I had to change 2 or 3 times because it had trouble getting my character info.

You should give the bug tracker a maximum of info in hopes of finding a fix for your problem. Good luck!

Edited by Odin Lowe

I've connected to multiple different public servers to no avail.

Have you tried playing on a private hive to see if it keeps your character? I've mostly left the public hive for the past few months, and don't get this problem at all, so it might also be related somehow.

It is probably caused by DayZ sometimes slowing my internet down at the wrong time, that bug I know a lot of people have. The mix of that and joining a server at the same time is what probably causes it, but I'm just so sick of it always happening when I got a fully looted guy.  I guess I'll try playing again and hopefully find the foundation to the problem.  Thanks for trying to help me out, you two,  maybe we can play together some time.

Throughout the year and the half i have played DayZ standalone, every time I get a geared up character, the DayZ servers will always eat my character and suck it into the abyss after I log out, and when I log back. I'm a new spawn.  Keep in mind, I don't log out in dangerous areas, with the exception of last time, but everyone had left the server and it was an enclosed area, so I know no zombie or player got me. 

This has happened, not exaggerating, every time I have gotten my character geared over the entirety of me playing Standalone.  This last time was the last straw.  Finally got that fucking black skull ski mask and an M4 after fighting against a squad of 4 guys for crash site loot. They leave, I log out in said enclosed area and when I log back in 15 minutes, DayZ has done it again. I've tried the whole log out ASAP and restart DayZ a couple times, and it didn't work. Killed myself a couple times, still didn't bring back that week-old character.

Please tell me anything else I haven't tried. If there is nothing else to do, there is no point in playing anymore, I'm sick of running around as a newspawn messing around. in Elektro. Yes, it's early access so the devs have player feedback to fix bugs.  This is a bug that has been here since the beginning, time to devote resources to fix it.  

Make sure to wait before you log in again after a server restart.

It takes a moment till the server connects to the central character database.