5mirkeh

After reading the DayZ wiki's page on planned weapons

After reading this page on Weapons to be added to this game in the future it says and I quote under the Confirmed/previously shown weapons section of this page http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Weapons

"Several as of yet unnamed bolt-action rifles (Confirmed on January 8, 2015. What specific guns these are is currently unknown but they are being worked on will be able to utilize scopes in the future.)"

Is this correct?, Am I overhyping features? Am I a moron for a post that will be removed by the forum team?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

• Like 2

Yes, a little, and it's plausible!

Yes, a little, and it's plausible!

Even more plausible if they have found a way to recycle the mosin's animation for others too

But that is just me :-x

I haven't seen this info that was 'confirmed' on the 8th persay, but I'd say it's more than likely as they want to focus more on civilian weapons (and I don't mean American 'Civilian' weapons like the Sporter version of the FN P90)

(and I don't mean American 'Civilian' weapons like the Sporter version of the FN P90)

awww

factory-dn-ps90.jpg

but just look at it!

• Like 3

I haven't seen this info that was 'confirmed' on the 8th persay, but I'd say it's more than likely as they want to focus more on civilian weapons (and I don't mean American 'Civilian' weapons like the Sporter version of the FN P90)

If they can make into a better weapon transition for this game i say "why not?"

This is the source

Yes, -  we're adding in a couple other bolt action rifles shortly (Winchester 70 being one of them) and these will replace the mosin as the go-to "sniper" weapons. The mosin will still use the PU scope but not the LRS. That could change, but this was the plan when last I discussed it with Peter.

If you have any specific questions about weapons for Chris (Art Lead), this topic here is probably the best place to ask.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/218619-about-weapons/

We'll hopefully be making some improvements to the devtracker and forums soon to make finding developer posts a bit easier on here when they are buried in multi-page topics

• Like 2

More civilian bolt guns the better.

Do hope they come in very civilian heavy calibers too that fit different roles such as .22-250 for that light weight ultra fast accurate punch at long range or .9.3x64 for that medium range big game round.

This is the source. 

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/218579-is-this-thing-on/page-3#entry2196809

We'll hopefully be making some improvements to the devtracker and forums soon to make finding developer posts a bit easier on here when they are buried in multi-page topics

To be honest why limit the augmenting capability of the weapon though? Instead of taking away from the weapon just give a few more weapons with long range scope compatibility. Mosin is not my favorite weapon anyways nor do i ever really use the long range scope on it but idk i just feel restricting players with weapons modification is a little unrealistic as long as its nothing overkill like this.

chainsaw.jpg

However that would be fucking cool if it could actually function realistically..... XD

• Like 1

More civilian bolt guns the better.

Do hope they come in very civilian heavy calibers too that fit different roles such as .22-250 for that light weight ultra fast accurate punch at long range or .9.3x64 for that medium range big game round.

You think an elephant gun would would be in the realm of possibility?

9387220_1.jpg?v=8CCAB7CE96FA5E0

Not that were hunting elephants but it would damn well stop a bear whenever they put those in. Im still excited for possibilities of vicious bears lol.

• Like 2

Not that were hunting elephants but it would damn well stop a bear whenever they put those in. Im still excited for possibilities of vicious bears lol.

I doubt it but who knows. Devs certainly like throwing around interesting guns that other games do not feature such as the fn trombone so an elephant gun would certainly be interesting.

To be honest why limit the augmenting capability of the weapon though? Instead of taking away from the weapon just give a few more weapons with long range scope compatibility. Mosin is not my favorite weapon anyways nor do i ever really use the long range scope on it but idk i just feel restricting players with weapons modification is a little unrealistic as long as its nothing overkill like this.

chainsaw.jpg

However that would be fucking cool if it could actually function realistically..... XD

Because removing the lrs from the mosin is a realistic restriction.

Edited by gibonez

Quoted from myself in another thread:

"Realistically, there wouldn't be all that many predators in Chernarus, at least the region we play in.

--Which is why you sleep in a tree, and prepare all food away from your campsite.

People seemingly have this idea that predators have this hate-boner for humanity, that they are just waiting for us to relax our guard, and they want nothing more than to kill and eat us. This idea could not be any more incorrect, and was (and sadly, is) the reason why so many predator species in Europe and North America were next-to wiped out.

What are the predator species we are most likely to come across in Chernarus? Wolves and bears? Wolves want nothing less to avoid humans, and will only become aggressive if you intrude upon their territory. And aggressive, in this case, means following you and trying to scare you away. If you provoke an actual attack, they are probably more terrified than you are.

Similarly with bears. Most bear attacks occur either because they smelled food/etc at your campsite, came to investigate, and you startled them, or you got between them and their young. 

The thing is, most animals (not only predators) actively seek to avoid potentially dangerous confrontation as much as possible. Predators don't go on murder-sprees just because they can, because they know that their prey can, and WILL, fight back, and they don't want to get hurt. If you get attacked by an animal, it is literally the final and worst option available to the animal, and it means you literally ignored EVERY other option to defuse the situation. These options include making themselves known, setting dominance (staring in particular. NEVER try to stare down an animal confronting you.), and actively following you in effort to scare you off and get you to leave.

Plus, there is the territorial concerns. South Zagoria has about 225 square kilometers of area, and let us assume that only about 70 square kilometers of that is ocean. That leaves about 150 sq kilometers of area for animals to live, INCLUDING cities and human development. Let us lowball the area claimed by a wolfpack and a SINGULAR bear as 100 square miles (wolves, and the area is given for a wolfpack in the 48 lower US states http://www.wolf.org/...fo/wolf-faqs/#h), and for a bear is between 70 (female) and 300-500 (male) square miles per mindividual. http://westernwildlife.org/grizzly-bear-outreach-project/faqs/#a6

This works out to be 260 square kilometers for a wolfpacks territory, and between 181-1295 square kilometers for a female - male bear. So, we could have 1 wolfpack for the whole of South Zagoria, maybe a female bear, and not likely to come across a male one.

So, even if predators were likely to attack humans, we wouldn't be likely to come across one.

Really, the most likely aggressive animal we would come across would be packs of angry, hungry, rapidly-undomesticating dogs. Good eating on one of them!--

TL;DR-- If there were predators in Chernarus, they would (realistically) be there in such low numbers that we would likely not see them. And, they are unlikely to attack humans unless you deliberately piss them off."

• Like 4

Quoted from myself in another thread:

"Realistically, there wouldn't be all that many predators in Chernarus, at least the region we play in.

--Which is why you sleep in a tree, and prepare all food away from your campsite.

People seemingly have this idea that predators have this hate-boner for humanity, that they are just waiting for us to relax our guard, and they want nothing more than to kill and eat us. This idea could not be any more incorrect, and was (and sadly, is) the reason why so many predator species in Europe and North America were next-to wiped out.

What are the predator species we are most likely to come across in Chernarus? Wolves and bears? Wolves want nothing less to avoid humans, and will only become aggressive if you intrude upon their territory. And aggressive, in this case, means following you and trying to scare you away. If you provoke an actual attack, they are probably more terrified than you are.

Similarly with bears. Most bear attacks occur either because they smelled food/etc at your campsite, came to investigate, and you startled them, or you got between them and their young. 

The thing is, most animals (not only predators) actively seek to avoid potentially dangerous confrontation as much as possible. Predators don't go on murder-sprees just because they can, because they know that their prey can, and WILL, fight back, and they don't want to get hurt. If you get attacked by an animal, it is literally the final and worst option available to the animal, and it means you literally ignored EVERY other option to defuse the situation. These options include making themselves known, setting dominance (staring in particular. NEVER try to stare down an animal confronting you.), and actively following you in effort to scare you off and get you to leave.

Plus, there is the territorial concerns. South Zagoria has about 225 square kilometers of area, and let us assume that only about 70 square kilometers of that is ocean. That leaves about 150 sq kilometers of area for animals to live, INCLUDING cities and human development. Let us lowball the area claimed by a wolfpack and a SINGULAR bear as 100 square miles (wolves, and the area is given for a wolfpack in the 48 lower US states http://www.wolf.org/...fo/wolf-faqs/#h), and for a bear is between 70 (female) and 300-500 (male) square miles per mindividual. http://westernwildlife.org/grizzly-bear-outreach-project/faqs/#a6

This works out to be 260 square kilometers for a wolfpacks territory, and between 181-1295 square kilometers for a female - male bear. So, we could have 1 wolfpack for the whole of South Zagoria, maybe a female bear, and not likely to come across a male one.

So, even if predators were likely to attack humans, we wouldn't be likely to come across one.

Really, the most likely aggressive animal we would come across would be packs of angry, hungry, rapidly-undomesticating dogs. Good eating on one of them!--

TL;DR-- If there were predators in Chernarus, they would (realistically) be there in such low numbers that we would likely not see them. And, they are unlikely to attack humans unless you deliberately piss them off."

But don't forget that infected already run after wild animals that are currently in game and hunt them till they are dead. So its not entirely out of the question that a bear is already going to be pissed off and trying to attack you due to infected attacks.

Plus knowing how ppl are in this game is probably going to happen allot anyways.

• Like 1

the mosin sniping is already gay enough

Keep your homophobia to other places, please.

• Like 3

But don't forget that infected already run after wild animals that are currently in game and hunt them till they are dead. So its not entirely out of the question that a bear is already going to be pissed off and trying to attack you due to infected attacks.

Plus knowing how ppl are in this game is probably going to happen allot anyways.

True, however, they have to find that bear first. And if the bear was smart, at the first sign of humans tromping through the woods, they would high-tail it out of there. Plus, I don't think a human being incapable of complex planning and armed only with their fists could seriously damage a bear.

After reading this page on Weapons to be added to this game in the future it says and I quote under the Confirmed/previously shown weapons section of this page http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Weapons

"Several as of yet unnamed bolt-action rifles (Confirmed on January 8, 2015. What specific guns these are is currently unknown but they are being worked on will be able to utilize scopes in the future.)"

Is this correct?, Am I overhyping features? Am I a moron for a post that will be removed by the forum team?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

I put that there based on his quote.

Basically anything that gets mentioned more than once or "confirmed" I like to put on there - obviously it means nothing until they're added to the game but it's worth putting on the list to keep people informed on what is more of a possibility than others.

I doubt it but who knows. Devs certainly like throwing around interesting guns that other games do not feature such as the fn trombone so an elephant gun would certainly be interesting.

Because removing the lrs from the mosin is a realistic restriction.

Far Cry 4 rather prominently features a .700 nitro elephant gun, but otherwise yeah they're fairly obscure, and I don't think a single other (well known) video game features the Trombone, so there's that.

Elephant guns are very cool but they're overkill for regular game hunting (even bears) and they usually have super specific ammunition calibers to go along with them. Besides that they'd basically be just bulkier Blaze 95s with more recoil and a harder punch gaemplay-wise, so there's no real incentive to have one. I'd be perfectly fine if we did get one.

But the various .308 and lower guns we have now are plenty enough for hunting the game we see in Chernarus, and if you're really worried about bears you can always carry a select-fire weapon with a large magazine (pretty much any full-auto weapon currently in the game would kill a bear with [less than] a full magazine, except maybe the MP5K and PM73 considering their small calibers.)

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Elephant guns are very cool but they're overkill for regular game hunting (even bears)

Haha, that reminds me of this guy on another forum shot a couple bears with a .577 double... hey, it killed the bears. :lol:

I want this in dayz:

IMPNNwH.jpg

Edited by tofur

Looks like.  At the very least they have the model already in.  I'm a bit on the fence, on the one hand there's the little M1 fanboy in me that screams with glee at being able to use said rifle in game.  Then there's the slightly more logical me that says 'realistically they probably wouldn't have very many of them in Chenarus'...still though would be kinda sweet.  Just curious if they'ed have it in 30-6 or 7.62 NATO.

Looks like.  At the very least they have the model already in.  I'm a bit on the fence, on the one hand there's the little M1 fanboy in me that screams with glee at being able to use said rifle in game.  Then there's the slightly more logical me that says 'realistically they probably wouldn't have very many of them in Chenarus'...still though would be kinda sweet.  Just curious if they'ed have it in 30-6 or 7.62 NATO.

With the CLE, they could always add some very nonsensical weapons to the game and just really limit the numbers. Makes it very hard to find them, but the possibility hanging over your head would be amazing - and just imagine if you did and then you died. That'd be true loss.

I'd actually really like to see a whole range of guns added that would be in incredibly short supply in Chernarus (as well as other items that'd be cool), but I don't know if the amount of work it'd take to put that stuff in would be worth the payoff, considering how few people it would really affect. I just think that, if people have things that took them ages to find and they know that there's only (I don't know) 100 in the entire game, they're going to play a lot more realistically with their lives. It really adds value to you characters life and that's a very, very good thing in my eyes.

yyeahhh but how many blazer rifles would realistically be laying around?  I see them a lot in Chenarus.  There were like 6 million M1's manufactured so it's not a super rare gun, can't imagine Chenarus would have a lot of them but this a video game after all.

As for .30-06 or 7.62 nato, in military spec they are almost identical ballistically.  

I am (not really) In the same position as you, But it would make an interesting addition in the game  . . . 

. . . Just for the ping

With the CLE, they could always add some very nonsensical weapons to the game and just really limit the numbers. Makes it very hard to find them, but the possibility hanging over your head would be amazing - and just imagine if you did and then you died. That'd be true loss.

I'd actually really like to see a whole range of guns added that would be in incredibly short supply in Chernarus (as well as other items that'd be cool), but I don't know if the amount of work it'd take to put that stuff in would be worth the payoff, considering how few people it would really affect. I just think that, if people have things that took them ages to find and they know that there's only (I don't know) 100 in the entire game, they're going to play a lot more realistically with their lives. It really adds value to you characters life and that's a very, very good thing in my eyes.

That would be pretty cool.  I'd love to see it where a 'well armed' group of say 6 or more people each have different guns, not because they wanted to be different, but because they didn't find 6 AKMs, but rather an AKM, an SKS, a Mosin, an M1, a Sporter, ect ect.

yyeahhh but how many blazer rifles would realistically be laying around?  I see them a lot in Chenarus.  There were like 6 million M1's manufactured so it's not a super rare gun, can't imagine Chenarus would have a lot of them but this a video game after all.

As for .30-06 or 7.62 nato, in military spec they are almost identical ballistically.  

I was about to rip you a new one as I read that last sentence, then I reread that last word.  My knowledge doesn't really extend that far but I'm sure Gews' does.  And yeah that is pretty true, though keep in mind values are tweakable right now.

I am (not really) In the same position as you, But it would make an interesting addition in the game  . . . 

. . . Just for the ping

A diner bell on a diner bell?  Never thought of it like that.  Especially if they do home made silencers. *pew, pew, pew, pew, pew* Wait?  How many rounds was that?  Ah should be okay. *click, PING!*

• Like 1

So long as the garand is in .30-06 I'm ok with it.

7.62 NATO garand sounds disgusting