Sign in to follow this  
stielhandgranate

German military vehicle: LGS Fennek. An Easy addition to SA

So the German military uses this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennek

4875883676_33328754ff_b.jpg

A pretty interesting vesicle. Armored, but could appear with out offensive weapons and like most military vehicles, a bitch to maintain and keep fueled up while trading off cargo space and passengers. Add something to the game that isn't an MRAP or Humvee while giving DayZ a more interesting taste. But why the Fennek? Because the DayZ Devs could collaborate with the ArmA team and use the port/mod the existing ArmA 3 model for the "Stryder":

Arma3-strider.jpg

This technique allows for a new vehicle, while taking less time compared to building a whole new object with unique values while freeing the team up for other endeavors.

Why would a German vehicle be in Rural Eastern Europe.

The same reason UN MICH helmets, US military MICH helmets,Styer AUGs,M4A1s,Super Huey wrecks,Humvee wrecks,UK combat webbing would.

• Like 4

The same reason UN MICH helmets, US military MICH helmets,Styer AUGs,M4A1s,Super Huey wrecks,Humvee wrecks,UK combat webbing would.

plus they may be adding the G3 to boot

Looks pretty cool, though honestly I'd like to see a Vodnik or some other Russian/Soviet scout/light vehicle added in first.

Damnit that thing looks so 'cute' I want a real one now...Don't think I could justify it as a beekeeper though...

• Like 1

i hope the moding will be limited only island etc.  no vehicle and item moding !! sunning it is just another arma2 day z or epoch. 

Sigh. These kind of vehicles were in the mod before because it was derived from a military simulator, there's no need for military vehicles in a zombie apocalypse survival game. If you want to drive these vehicles, you're playing the wrong game. DayZ isn't supposed to be DayZ mod V 2.0, it's supposed to be stripped of everything that was unnecessary, and that includes most of the military stuff that was in only because it was in the base game assets.

Edited by EchoZeero

Hello there

well this is in A3 so theoretically it wouldnt be as hard to do as at least the model is already there.

Me? Id prefer a BMP variant of some sort.

Or perhap (if we have to go with modern vehicles) 

kFu4GIC.jpg

BPM 97

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

So no particular reason?

Maybe you don't know. Germany is in Europe the German government is willing to provide manpower to international military endeavors such as ISAF, in fact the third largest troop contributor to ISAF after the US and UK. So if Some major crisis like the one depicted in game occurred nearby that warranted international intervention, The Bundeswehr's involvement is probable. The Fennik is resistant to IEDs, something at the Chernorussian Red Star insurgents might use often.

Sigh. These kind of vehicles were in the mod before because it was derived from a military simulator, there's no need for military vehicles in a zombie apocalypse survival game. If you want to drive these vehicles, you're playing the wrong game. DayZ isn't supposed to be DayZ mod V 2.0, it's supposed to be stripped of everything that was unnecessary, and that includes most of the military stuff that was in only because it was in the base game assets.

No, you're playing the wrong game. Chernarus was a warzone that had belligerents from the US, Russian Federation and a civil war and then a zombie crisis happened. This wasn't some peaceful utopia, people were killing their neighbors and as superpowers fought in a proxy war. Military equipment is bound to be left over and a light armored scout car isn't going to break the game. This isn't a M1A2 Abrams or Mi-28. Vehicles like the soft top humvee and GAZ jeep weren't in the mod due to a restriction. ArmA 2 had a healthy amount of civilian ground vehicles and aircraft. Dean Hall chose to add them in.

On top of that, this vehicle would be more restricting than the planned V3S Variants (military vehicles,mind you) as it would carry less and have worse millage.

Edited by Dale Gribble
  • Like 1

Dean Hall chose to add them in.

What Dean Hall didn't choose to add in was Vodniks and BRDMs... hmm:

-full protection from 7.62 armour-piercing rounds

-protection from anti-armour mines

-1000 km road range

-thermal imaging system with 20 km rangefinder

People complain about GPMGs... imagine the rage if they ripped random armoured vehicles out of 2035 ArmA III :lol: never happening.

Even something a bit lower-tech and Russian/Eastern like BRDM, Vodnik, Tigr would be met with a backlash. 

russian-gaz-tiger-in-crimea.jpg

What Dean Hall didn't choose to add in was Vodniks and BRDMs... hmm:

-full protection from 7.62 armour-piercing rounds

-protection from anti-armour mines

-1000 km road range

-thermal imaging system with 20 km rangefinder

People complain about GPMGs... imagine the rage if they ripped random armoured vehicles out of 2035 ArmA III :lol: never happening.

Even something a bit lower-tech and Russian/Eastern like BRDM, Vodnik, Tigr would be met with a backlash. 

I've seen Fenniks without FLIR mounted on them. FLIR and other sophisticated equipment while not dead lining the vehicle. Although ArmA 3 takes place in the "future" the Fennik has been in service for over 10 years and is not future fantasy tech. Backlash? How game breaking can a armored car be? It can still be immobilized with IEDs and damaged with small arms. Its not an MBT. Also Vodniks and BDRMs aren't invulnerable to MG fire.

If you HONESTLY buy into the BS Russian propaganda that either the BRDM or Vodnik can survive sustained small arms fire, let alone an anti-vehicle mine, then god bless you boy. Seriously, those things are constructed of pot steel and are about as thick as the armor on an M113. As for the Fennek being 2035 technology? Damn, you need to learn some before you talk some, because the Fennek was designed in the 90s and has existed as a functioning vehicle since 2000.

If you HONESTLY buy into the BS Russian propaganda that either the BRDM or Vodnik can survive sustained small arms fire, let alone an anti-vehicle mine, then god bless you boy. Seriously, those things are constructed of pot steel and are about as thick as the armor on an M113. As for the Fennek being 2035 technology? Damn, you need to learn some before you talk some, because the Fennek was designed in the 90s and has existed as a functioning vehicle since 2000.

Those were Fennek specifications. Not BRDM or Vodnik.

You say it like vehicles are an unbeatable opponent. Only if there's a significant number of people riding would it be a problem. Usually you'd see two or more people riding in one I'm sure.

Forget fighting them, they'll eventually bail out of it. Any time they bail to refuel or whatever and you pop the guy, what's the driver going to do? Guarantee he'll be smart and take off, but then you're uncontested for his buddy's body or take it for yourself if he's alone.

Also your point is further invalid by the fact that unlike soft humvees there were no BDRMs or Vodnik that were unarmed sans the medic vodnik. ArmA 3's Fennek has an unarmed version. You then implied that the Fennek is some future tech space magic that wouldn't be immune or deadlined from a road side bomb or gunfire.

Those were Fennek specifications. Not BRDM or Vodnik.

Maybe you should specify that next time rather than listing it off the way you did and making it appear to by the Vodnik and BDRM that you're talking about.

I have to wonder why even bother with any armored vehicles ?

I highly doubt they will add any weapons capable of defeating them although watching players with mosins and sporters try to take down an apc would be comical.

I highly doubt they will add any weapons capable of defeating them although watching players with mosins and sporters try to take down an apc would be comical.

Gives a reward to the players who put an effort into getting one running. They have to stop eventually.

It offers a passive way to bypass sniper alleys while allowing groups with LMGs/MMGs or explosives the ability to capture or destroy it.

Also your point is further invalid by the fact that unlike soft humvees there were no BDRMs or Vodnik that were unarmed sans the medic vodnik.

In-game there was also the unarmed BTR-40, M113 Ambulance and BMP-2 Ambulance, all of which were suggested multiple times and never added. And speaking of real life:

981f0a989e6007be7ecaba50e13.jpg

okvp_001.jpg

You then implied that the Fennek is some future tech space magic that wouldn't be immune or deadlined from a road side bomb or gunfire.

It is indeed pretty much immune to anything in the game.

You say it like vehicles are an unbeatable opponent. Only if there's a significant number of people riding would it be a problem. Usually you'd see two or more people riding in one I'm sure.

Forget fighting them, they'll eventually bail out of it. Any time they bail to refuel or whatever and you pop the guy, what's the driver going to do? Guarantee he'll be smart and take off, but then you're uncontested for his buddy's body or take it for yourself if he's alone.

They are "trapped" in a 23,000 lb battering ram... I don't care if it's "OP" or not (bet you 90% of players say it is) since I wouldn't have a problem with RPG-7Vs, I just don't think this vehicle belongs in the game.

In-game there was also the unarmed BTR-40, M113 Ambulance and BMP-2 Ambulance, all of which were suggested multiple times and never added.

It is indeed pretty much immune to anything in the game.

They are "trapped" in a 23,000 lb battering ram... I don't care if it's "OP" or not (bet you 90% of players say it is) since I wouldn't have a problem with RPG-7Vs, I just don't think this vehicle belongs in the game.

I'm pretty sure the ambulance vehicles weren't used as you could scroll wheel and heal at one with no cost to resources. As far as immunity. The wheels aren't bullet proof. The Fennek is known for having a good survivability rating, but isn't impervious to damage or wear and tear. Lets not forget the game's weapon's inventory isn't complete. M203s and GP-25s are confirmed and machine guns and RPGs would be a welcome addition. A good gimmick would be the Fennek's hull being highly survivable while being easily immobilized or it's windscreen broken. This way the same vehicle trades hands over and over again.

It offers a passive way to bypass sniper alleys while allowing groups with LMGs/MMGs or explosives the ability to capture or destroy it.

Hmmm wouldn't ordinary civilian cars also fit into that category.

I doubt LMGS or gpm would do anything to these armored vehicles.

Also why would explosives be anywhere near common enough to even warrant being a threat to an armored vehicle.

Have they discussed adding rpgs and at4s now ? I thought the loot was to remain relatively realistic.