spearmintz

Complete Noob, need alot of help with DayZ mod.

I have played loads of video games, but I am just lost with this. I have looked up the controls, and the in-game control menu is just plain wrong. I am not sure if there has been an update to the mod I never heard about, because I have watched loads of videos on DayZ mod, and the servers I join keep looking different than what I am used to. I need help as to what sort of servers to join, every server I join looks like this- http://i.imgur.com/ESbepQg.jpgand I'm not sure if I am missing a memo of what to join. The chalky info meters on the right side look different, the reticule, I don't know how to go in third person or open doors or anything. I cannot find the controls, and it is messing with me because the controls on the wiki are completely different. Thank you so much, I am very new as you can tell!

Firstly go into Arma and do the Boot Camp, that will teach you all you need to know.

Good luck and Happy Hunting

p.s you posted in the wrong section

• Like 1

Firstly go into Arma and do the Boot Camp, that will teach you all you need to know.

Good luck and Happy Hunting

p.s you posted in the wrong section

I have already done that, but does Dayz normally look like the screenshot I posted?

it differs from server to server

but yes

Edited by Conkykillz

Essentially, I am new to DayZ, however I have still watched tons of videos, and I am so lost. I don't know what servers to join because everytime I do, i get my gui to look like this http://i.imgur.com/R57Ed4H.jpginstead of what I am used to, i.e. http://i5.minus.com/iC4f3rq7TQ7in.jpg I am very lost and just need general guidance on what is happening and what to do. All the controls are different for me too, apparently right click is sprint and i cannot punch even after pressin space to raise my fists..?

Edited by spearmintz

the circle reticle usually means you have a melee weapon equipped or thrown item like grenades - I believe its enter to "go" into 3rd person

Edited by tiadashi
  • Like 1

you cant punch in the mod you mean dayz standalone?

I'm playing the mod. But to answer my other question, has the mod been updated? What is the reason my inventory/GUI looks different than the second image?

I'm playing the mod. But to answer my other question, has the mod been updated? What is the reason my inventory/GUI looks different than the second image?

Theres just different gui's most servers have the one you are used to some have the "chalky" one basically the same some minor differences

Wow I'm surprised nobody here has been able to answer this.  Okay, first off, the reason your inventory looks the way it does is because you're playing the official DayZ mod.  Most videos you see of "DayZ mod" these days are of derivative mods (ie mods of the mod) like Epoch, Overwatch, Overpoch, Origins, etc.  When the official mod went from the 1.7 patch to 1.8, there were significant changes to the game, including the HUD and inventory.  At that point, all the derivative mods branched off and are still based on pre 1.7.7 code.  1.8+ has brought great changes to the mod, allowing you to carry a melee weapon and rifle/shotgun at the same time, improved hunger/thirst mechanics, improved medical mechanics, improved infection mechanic, crafting, base building, and improved zombies.  Honestly, most of the mod derivatives have devolved DayZ into an absurd mash up of gameplay that resembles GTA, CoD, and BF much more than DayZ.  99% of those mods are just insta-gear up PvP games with severely nerfed or even completely removed zombies.

Second, the controls are not nearly as hard as you're making them out to be.  They're just a bit more involved than most games.  Spending 10 minutes in the options>controls page will allow you to familiarize yourself with the controls.  The one major downside is that when you're not holding a weapon in your hand you can accidentally toggle certain settings that force you to walk instead of run without realizing it because your character won't do the animation without a weapon in his hand.  You may accidentally double tap one of your lean keys (Q and E by default I think) which will slow your character to a walk, but you won't see him leaning without a gun.  You may also toggle "aim down sights" which is your right mouse button.  This will force your character to walk as well.  Also if you double tap "walk" (left shift), your character will be toggled into walk mode.  The order of trouble shooting if you're stuck walking without a gun in your hands is tap Q, then tap E, if that doesn't work, try RMB, if that dosn't work click RMB again, then try double tapping left shift.  That should fix things.  Soon you'll find that Arma 2/DayZ actually has an amazing set of controls, allowing you to lean, go prone, play in 1pp or 3pp, and be able to free look around you by swiveling your head.  I find it mind numbing going back to traditional primitive 1pp or 3pp games that don't give you this much freedom of movement.

Third, you cannot punch nor raise your fists in DayZ mod (save a few mod derivatives that added a script allowing you to do a slow punch animation).  It's the standalone game that allows you to punch people.

Fourth, your screen shots look terrible.  Be sure your interface resolution is set to your monitor's native resolution, and your 3D resolution is the same (100%).  Then try these settings if you want decent FPS but still want the game to look good:

Texture detail: very high

Video memory: default

Antisotropic filtering: very high

Antialiasing: disabled (you can enable this if you have a really good GPU)

ATOC: disabled

Terrain detail: very high

Object detail: very low

Shadow detail: high

HDR quality: normal

PPAA: FXAA sharp high

Post Processing: off (or low if you like the bloom effect)

Fifth, understand the difference between vanilla DayZ mod servers, modified private hives, and mod derivatives like Epoch/Overwatch.  Vanilla DayZ servers run the original mod with no changes.  Unfortunately, 99% of DayZ mod private hives are heavily modified with 100's of vehicles and choppers, added buildings, starting loadouts, and other things that cheapen the experience.  I HIGHLY recommend starting off in vanilla servers to get a real feel of DayZ and how it was intended to be played.  Here's some info on getting into vanilla servers.  Beyond that, there's plenty of other mods of the mod that in my opinion ruin the entire point of DayZ by making it super easy and strictly PvP, but for some reason a lot of people enjoy them.  Hit google, there's plenty of info out there on how to install them and find servers.

Just remember, DayZ and Arma 2 aren't Call of Duty.  You're not going to boot it up and be in a 360 noscope FFA sniper deathmatch after 5 minutes of playing.  Vanilla DayZ mod takes patience and time to learn and gear up.  If you want a good idea of how the game functions and what to expect, watch Frankie's DayZ mod series (though his videos are pre-1.8 DayZ so inventory/hud will look different and hunger/thirst/medical/infection will be different).

• Like 1