Sign in to follow this  
sukka

SAY GOODBYE TO BANDITS ONCE AND FOR ALL?

BEFORE YOU START READING BE SURE YOU ARE OPEN TO NEW SUGGESTIONS

Green is for questions and what I'm not sure of and want to questioned!

Basically what I'm here to talk about is a a fear system for DayZ. English is not my native language so forgive me any errors, but I hope you understand my message. 

So DayZ is in alpha now and there's a lot of improvements to make. One very important improvement to make is about the banditry, fear, the feelings and emotions.

I couldn't find any threads that address this problem. Well be quite honest, there's a lot of threads about this/these problems, but never like this. ;)

DayZ is about survival if I'm not completely wrong? So basically make a fear system that makes players experience fear.

This seems pretty legit and obvious right? Well there's more to come! Here's where I explain the system how players should experience their feeling and emotions.

So players should experience more fear as freshspawns than, if you have survived for many long days. (So for example Player A has survived for 2 days, he experiences a lot of fear, since he doesn't know what to do), then you got Player (B Who has a lot of experience and he has a lot of knowledge of the game as a character and a player who has player and survived for a ling time).

So now you might know where I'm going at. The players who have spent more days in the apocalypse fear less and hopefully this is enough to raise your attention, but wait there s more to come a lot more.

----> Ways to stop the fear

-Drugs, alcohol, smoking?

Obviously there has been threads about consuming cigarettesalcohol and drugs. Mostly there has been negative feedback as for there consumables.

But now there is actually use for them. Yeah they still might show bad example to children who play the games. That's why we have ratings for games right?

----> Ways to stimulate fear

-The presence of zombies would launch panic

-Getting shot at would make you fear no matter what

-Maybe fear of dehydration or starvation

---> Different ways of fear

-passing out

-shaking

-sweating(dehydration)

-stress(heart attack if not healthy?)

-insanity(character randomly shouts?)

--->Figthing fear

-You could breath into a bag right?

-You could medicate yourself with depression medicines?

-Just relax by a fire? Comfortability?

I'm no doctor but some of this information is taken for granted right?(If not correct me, but keep in mind it's just a game)

Once and for all this, could stop banditism as severe as it is, there would also be heroes, as soon as we make some perks for them.(Both bandits as heroes?)

I honestly spent 1-2 hours on this post so I hope you all appreciate and understand it. Don't just turn it down, read it, comment on it and be happy of the results.

Regards Sukka

Hopefully it wasn’t too colorful. Remember to suggest!

Thank god I backed up this text :D

• Like 4

interesting thoughts. Ive seen threads about bandits having "side effects" such as seeing ghosts and stuff like that but honestly this seems way better. I like the idea of fear and panic and all that stuff for the people who KoS making the game much less interesting. applause to you good sir. =D

I don't like any form of forced mental effects, be they positive or negative. The game should not dictate your playing style, only the environment and your own decisions should influence that.  

• Like 2

I really like the fear thing you have going on there ;) No but seriously. Interesting thought. Though I would not want all the bandits to disappear since that's a fear factor to. To get caught by a bandit and then loose all your gear

I don't like any form of forced mental effects, be they positive or negative. The game should not dictate your playing style, only the environment and your own decisions should influence that.  

I'm not sure if you got the point, but you are right, we should not force anyone do anything. But don't you thing you would be crazy for killing people just to feel good or to survive? I mean every human feels empathy right?

Yes thank you. Seeing like grey, transparent ghosts would be perfect right? They would make you suspicious while living the life of a bandit?

I'm not sure if you got the point, but you are right, we should not force anyone do anything. But don't you thing you would be crazy for killing people just to feel good or to survive? I mean every human feels empathy right?

Tell that to all the people who have died gruesome violent deaths throughout history. Lawlessness brings out the worst in people.

Edited by Sacha

Tell that to all the people who have died gruesome violent deaths throughout history. Lawlessness brings out the worst in people.

Yeah, that's where fear comes in right? Maybe he is insane, maybe he would pass out, stress or die?

Any suggestions what could happen to him?

I agree with you, I'm not for something that is going to directly effect the way that I want to play this game, just because I don't want to be the friendly happy guy giving out beans to people on the coast shouldn't mean that I should be penalized for being a Bandit...

Just sounds like the OP has been shot one too many times and wants some sort of mechanic put in place to put those baddie Bandits in their place...

Edited by ComikZ
  • Like 1

I agree with you, I'm not for something that is going to directly effect the way that I want to play this game, just because I don't want to be the friendly happy guy giving out beans to people on the coast shouldn't mean that I should be penalized for being a Bandit...

Just sounds like the OP has been shot one too many times and wants some sort of mechanic put in place to put those baddie Bandits in their place...

Well I've been shot some times but never died. I've lost my character but to a bug 2 times which pissed me off. Killed 3-5 people who tried to kill me. Think about the big picture here, imagine how much more there could be to DayZ with this kind of implement.

Theres just too many bandits. I want to make a fear system to make the game more  difficult not just for bandits but for everyone. It's ridiculously easy currently.

A large part behind the success of DayZ is mainly due to the psychological effect it caused to the player behind the screen.

The fear of your character's death along with the adredaline rush when getting yourself caught in a firefight was a rollercoaster of emotions that effected the user directly.

Player immersion is an important factor for DayZ,almost no other game provides an equivalent experience.

If we were to implement a system simulating fear on behalf of the avatar,we are in danger of ruining the game's unique user immersion providence.

• Like 3

Well I've been shot some times but never died. I've lost my character but to a bug 2 times which pissed me off. Killed 3-5 people who tried to kill me. Think about the big picture here, imagine how much more there could be to DayZ with this kind of implement.

Theres just too many bandits. I want to make a fear system to make the game more  difficult not just for bandits but for everyone. It's ridiculously easy currently.

There's so many "Bandits" because of how the game is now, but in the future they will add in things that will hopefully get more people interacting and less just shooting, still the Bandit playstyle isn't going to go anywhere just because something like this or further "Survival" mechanics are put in place, it will just force people to be more crafty when Banditing.

Yeah, that's where fear comes in right? Maybe he is insane, maybe he would pass out, stress or die?

Any suggestions what could happen to him?

No! It is ridiculous to dictate how would, act, feel behave like after killing someone. No negative effects on players for killing, it is the fastest way to kill this game.

I agree with OP. The human psyche is a fragile thing and while the game addresses most other physical needs and effects, it places a vail between the psychology of the player and character. Zombies noises still scare the crap out of me and send chills down my spine. Other players make me cautions and worried, today my shadow my me jump! But my character did not experience any of this.

I'll take it a step farther. There needs to be psycho-somatic reprocutions of doing things like murder, robbery, and torturing. Kind of like there is for cannabalism. These things go against everything that makes us human, but there is nothing in the game to limit purely evil behavior. The suggestions the OP makes would work in these cases too. Kill to many people, maybe you become paranoid - uncontrollable shaking maybe curl up in a ball for a while.

Edited by Gunric

Project Zomboid has mechanics like this such as Panic when you suddenly see a zombie in close proximity. I personally welcome similar effects in DayZ.

A large part behind the success of DayZ is mainly due to the psychological effect it caused to the player behind the screen.

The fear of your character's death along with the adredaline rush when getting yourself caught in a firefight was a rollercoaster of emotions that effected the user directly.

Player immersion is an important factor for DayZ,almost no other game provides an equivalent experience.

If we were to implement a system simulating fear on behalf of the avatar,we are in danger of ruining the game's unique user immersion providence.

Yes it is I can say for myself, but still there are too many bandits

I am quoting myself here for a reason. To make the banditry more difficult in the early stages of the game right?

You have to have experience in order to kill player, not just behind the screen, but in reality. Everytime you die you should expereince new feelings and emotions.

We want to make this game more friendly for newplayers right? Then we can get more players to play this game actively.

So players should experience more fear as freshspawns than, if you have survived for many long days. (So for example Player A has survived for 2 days, he experiences a lot of fear, since he doesn't know what to do), then you got Player (B Who has a lot of experience and he has a lot of knowledge of the game as a character and a player who has player and survived for a ling time).

There's so many "Bandits" because of how the game is now, but in the future they will add in things that will hopefully get more people interacting and less just shooting, still the Bandit playstyle isn't going to go anywhere just because something like this or further "Survival" mechanics are put in place, it will just force people to be more crafty when Banditing.

Yes exactly, but something like this could be great to stop the bandits.

No! It is ridiculous to dictate how would, act, feel behave like after killing someone. No negative effects on players for killing, it is the fastest way to kill this game.

Maybe not, think about the new players. I'm not talking about effects that would for surely give you there effects. But maybe a chance from 1-100%.

Maybe that percent could be like 20%, 30% to 50%? Whatever the people choose.

I agree with OP. The human psyche is a fragile thing and while the game addresses most other physical needs and effects, it places a vail between the psychology of the player and character. Zombies noises still scare the crap out of me and send chills down my spine. Other players make me cautions and worried, today my shadow my me jump! But my character did not experience any of this.

I'll take it a step farther. There needs to be psycho-somatic reprocutions of doing things like murder, robbery, and torturing. Kind of like there is for cannabalism. These things go against everything that makes us human, but there is nothing in the game to limit purely evil behavior. The suggestions the OP makes would work in these cases too. Kill to many people, maybe you become paranoid - uncontrollable shaking maybe curl up in a ball for a while.

Exactly, for example if I see a fake scene in a movie that for example someone gets tortured it's not that bad. Then again someone in real-life I see someone see tortured I go nuts and feel bad. This is what we should feel in DayZ.

Why the hell would you want to get rid of bandits?

If anything the effects of killing should be opposite to what you describe. Someone who's just killed a human being for the first time will probably experience more psychological trauma than someone who's killed more people than they can remember. Can you think of just one mass murderer or serial killer who's shown remorse or guilt? Some people just have it in them to be remorseless killers.

And anything that enforces consequences should be left out. Let Chernarus be the judge. 

• Like 1

Why the hell would you want to get rid of bandits?

If anything the effects of killing should be opposite to what you describe. Someone who's just killed a human being for the first time will probably experience more psychological trauma than someone who's killed more people than they can remember. Can you think of just one mass murderer or serial killer who's shown remorse or guilt? Some people just have it in them to be remorseless killers.

And anything that enforces consequences should be left out. Let Chernarus be the judge. 

omg I don't know what to say... Obviously every person feels and has emotions on these feelings right? Maybe a certain percentage could have these effects. But of course if you got shit cards you can fix them by playing with the cards you have in your hands.

(Can you think of just one mass murderer or serial killer who's shown remorse or guilt? Some people just have it in them to be remorseless killers.)

The things is you should not know what cards you have until you do something. Also every person who has ever killed is either mentally crazy or has to do it.

Do you feel like killing anyone? Hopefully not! Those are the insane people who want to kill other people.

Wanting to kill someone and being able to are two entirely different things. 

And I find the notion that everyone who's ever killed someone is crazy to be... well, crazy. What about self-defense? What about soldiers? People have been killing other people since there were people. Surely you don't think all of them were crazy?

omg I don't know what to say... Obviously every person feels and has emotions on these feelings right? Maybe a certain percentage could have these effects. But of course if you got shit cards you can fix them by playing with the cards you have in your hands.

(Can you think of just one mass murderer or serial killer who's shown remorse or guilt? Some people just have it in them to be remorseless killers.)

The things is you should not know what cards you have until you do something. Also every person who has ever killed is either mentally crazy or has to do it.

Do you feel like killing anyone? Hopefully not! Those are the insane people who want to kill other people.

A player should never lose control of his character,it goes against the spirit of DayZ.

If the avatar is a coward the player controlling it should be a coward too.

The great part about DayZ is that it portrays a mirror image of the user in the game.

It doesn't punish anyone from showing his true colors.

There are evil folks and the game is the perfect opportunity for them to embrace their inner selves...

But that's fine,because the freedom of choice allows them to do so.

• Like 2

The Bandits will stay no matter what you Implement 

• Like 2

Yes exactly, but something like this could be great to stop the bandits.

But Why are you so set on stopping the Bandits, do you want to abolish Banditry or something, seems that your just wanting us "Baddie Bandits" to be a thing of the past, so the Carebears and people who just want to frolick through the fields killing Zombies can do so unimpeded....