Sign in to follow this  
GregzTheGreat

The reason behind KoS: ?

The reason behind KoS? Poll.  

163 members have voted

1. 1. What is your justification behind Killing on sight?

• Fear of death.
    • Acquisition of loot.
    • "For fun."
    • I don't kill on sight.

Lucian, you can actually defend yourself/your friend(s) with a weapon, so... using a weapon is not an exclusive matter for Kos...

i have seen so many ambushes that went really wrong for the "hunter" so i can say that "defending" do work.

Edited by mugur

Haha all good my man! I couldn't help playing along a little.

I'm kind of a dick like that :P

Good to know ;)

I will look for it in future posts.

Kudos for you for keeping other people on their toes. :)

Lucian, you can actually defend yourself/your friend(s) with a weapon, so... using a weapon is not an exclusive matter for Kos...

i have seen so many ambushes that went really wrong for the "hunter" so i can say that "defending" do work.

It's good to hear another opinion, maybe you are right. I recently saw a video, one guy (the silent hunter) killed 3 guys between some tents. Any gun fight is so unpredictable. Being 3 guys was not enough advantage. Anyway, skill matters indeed; and practice.

there is another video where one man killed a squad of seven.

in the end the tactical approach will pay off, i am not saying it works every time, but some time it does...

especially when 6 guys do the same mistake of the first who got killed...

• Like 1

ITT:

OP was killed while server hopping Veresnik looting assault rifles and miscellaneous military gear he was going to use to "save the children".

Posts thread to rage.

• Like 4

ITT:

OP was killed while server hopping Veresnik looting assault rifles and miscellaneous military gear he was going to use to "save the children".

Posts thread to rage.

I like you, you comical tactical bush, see you at /b

Other than looting what the hell else is there to do?  I prefer to evade rather than KoS, if I see you first I will keep my eye on you, let you go your way and then I will go other way.  If I run into you in a meeting engagement and you attempt to engage me in any manner, conversation or bullets, I will attempt to evade (some people are way offended by that and have come to even consider evasion a type of combat logging because they were "denied" a chance at interacting/killing me because God knows, there is no way any one could evade their leet tracking skillz).  If you follow me, it will end with one of us dead, preferably you.   I might loot you or not, depending on what I already have.  I have no real interest whatever in meeting or interacting with other players at this point in the development of DayZ.  This is a direct result of my experience with other players so far,  I am sick of being lied to and manipulated.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 2

Other than looting what the hell else is there to do?  I prefer to evade rather than KoS, if I see you first I will keep my eye on you, let you go your way and then I will go other way.  If I run into you in a meeting engagement and you attempt to engage me in any manner, conversation or bullets, I will attempt to evade (some people are way offended by that and have come to even consider evasion a type of combat logging because they were "denied" a chance at interacting/killing me because God knows, there is no way any one could evade their leet tracking skillz).  If you follow me, it will end with one of us dead, preferably you.   I might loot you or not, depending on what I already have.  I have no real interest whatever in meeting or interacting with other players at this point in the development of DayZ.  This is a direct result of my experience with other players so far,  I am sick of being lied to and manipulated.

Makes perfect sense. I often find myself avoiding for the same reason, but due to my personality I find myself helping a lot more than shooting.

To me, I've found out there is no real point in sniping KOS. I killed a guy from 300m at a helo crash site the other day, once I got to his body it was unlootable and couldn't be interacted with. SO I basically ruined his character for nothing. 

I often wonder why people do it. It takes an element of the game away to be killed mercilessly, without justification. However, I cannot help but wonder what the killer sees. Why do it?

What's the benefit?

Clarification required.

Nobody breathed the acronym KOS in the mod. You ran into Cherno to loot the grocery store, you died in your tracks…no questions asked, no tears were shed. You got better and got off the coast and looted Stary, Mogilevka or Berezino (which was zero pop back then).

KOS is an important part of DayZ. Without it, DayZ turns into HappytimeZ.

The problem is the simulation is related to alpha and there isn't much to do so the murder rate is really high along with a newplayer base that all they know is CSGO, BF, COD. The murder rate is high right now but once there is more to do, it will decrease. This will happen organically.

Until then, quit propagating this linguistical phenomenon called KOS. It does more harm than good.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 3

Until then, quit propagating this linguistical phenomenon called KOS. It does more harm than good.

Every time a thread like this is posted it just reinforces my play style.

I remember my first weeks playing the mod. I spawned on the coast for the first time, eager eyed and excited about my new adventure. Having no idea where I was or what I was doing; ignorance was truly blissful. I skipped down the coast towards some houses I could see to the east. Into the first house I went, "WHOA, sweet! Some food here and a pistol, damn I am goo..." YOU ARE DEAD!  

Oh shit what the hell was that? Rinse and repeat, time and time again.  Sometimes I would see the asshole and sometimes I would not. But I got better, I used the anguish to hone my skills, adapt to this predatory new land and it was truly the most amazing journey. The hunted has become the hunter and no amount of horticulture, camping, base building will ever quench my thirst for your blood.  

Edited by NexVentor
  • Like 3

So basically what I am reading from people is that without fear of being arrested, jailed, and possible executed by the gov't/law/peers, you would be a homicidal maniac. Because that is what you are doing... Sure it is the apocalypse and basic human needs need to be met, but you've decided that the best way to get a drink, some food, or a hoodie is to kill anyone and everyone you meet. Think about that.

If there were some way to form a posey and maybe go after a violent or homicial maniac, that would be cool... But there really isn't. Weak Persistence and resets make in near impossible. Further small player counts on servers with such a huge AO, means there is really no one around.

I have only been playing for a short time and I dont KOS. I am not good at RP, but I have come across some amazing players who gave me, and hopefully I gave back, a great experience. The one thing KOS does do for the game is make every meeting very cautious and I like that, but there simply isn't enough consequences to KOS. The human psyche is very delicate... Their are very very few truly evil people in the world who have been able to live with the evil deeds they have committed. Think about that.

And before you flame me for being a pans... like another on this thread, I served in Afghanistan in 2003. I have seen bad stuff.

And before you flame me for being a pans... like another on this thread, I served in Afghanistan in 2003. I have seen bad stuff.

Thanks for your service if that's true, but I don't really think that has anything to do with anything :/

Edited by DeatHTaX

Why is "for fun" the only one in quotes? Is it a less legit reason?

Anyway, I voted "for fun".

Why is "for fun" the only one in quotes? Is it a less legit reason?

Anyway, I voted "for fun".

Good observation. I didn't even notice that.

Maybe he's trying to imply killing people in a video game can't be fun, and it you consider it fun, you're mentally unstable...?

Thanks for your service if that's true, but I don't really think that has anything to do with anything :/

May I be insta-killed in Cherno for all the rest of time if it isn't true... :). What it has to do with anything is that I have seen a country devolve into lawlessness and I have seen death and destruction... And once you see it in real life you'll realize it isn't "just for fun".

Beleive me, I realize this is a game. We play games to escape,reality... But this one is a small window into your inner self, given a chance will you be a hero or a villain. Do you aspire to good or evil. I chose good, because I have seen real evil.

Sorry to be a downer, but that is what serving in combat has to do with anything. Anyway, each to his own, right?

Edited by Gunric
  • Like 3

Their are very very few truly evil people in the world who have been able to live with the evil deeds they have committed. Think about that.

That is true.

It would be nice that after player commits several kills, he would start to see fake players (ghosts), for a long time, but not forever. Basically if you just use your weapon for self defense, probably you will not kill so many people, it will happen from time to time. But those who are hunting at the airfields and count many kills, will start to experience a paranoia and will fight with ghosts.

EDIT: what I said here is valid only if DayZ is not intended a first person shooter of course.

Edited by lucianpin

I don't really KOS often, but I think the reasoning is simple.

It negates having to trust strangers, it can give you loads of loot thus saving you in-game hours, plus it has no negative consequences.

It makes logical sense when you look at it like that, as all the other things you could do upon seeing a player have potential negative outcomes. Its down to the devs to balance that, people often blame the players for being arseholes and whatnot, but really what they do makes logical sense. People need to request that the devs balance the game a bit more, not moan at people for seizing the initiative.

• Like 1

The vast majority of voices on Reddit and these official forums seem to be shouting that they don't want to survive in the apocalypse. They just want to murder in it. And that shit gets old after a while...

There definitely ARE a multitude of ways to combat griefing. Player identification (realistic or otherwise). Anti-KoS defense methods (e.g. safehouses, craftable weapons, helmets). Reduction of gear dependency and attachment (e.g. defensible stashes, storage). Create penalties for player killing (e.g. zombies are more attracted to PKers because they smell like blood and death, animals run away, heartbeats when close to KoSers). And many, many more.

But the DayZ devs continue to pander to KoSers because that is, currently, their primary target group, right? The "learn to play" / "get good" crowd. The ones that blame the victims for not being good enough to defend themselves. These sad people that are attracted to, not only, guns and shooting but also intentionally ruining everyone else's game experience and hours of time investment simply because they can. The ones that drive new players away from the game with their abhorrent speech and behavior.

But it won't last forever. Eventually SA will be given back to the community. And the community will come up with solutions to these problems just like they did in Mod. PvE servers will be added for some roleplaying communities. Faction vs faction servers will be added where each faction has their own server on a private shard. Anti-cheating tools will be given to server admins to keep their servers clear of cheating assholes.

DayZ SA is an awesome game. And it will get even better. We just have to wait a long-ass time for that to happen.

• Like 3

The vast majority of voices on Reddit and these official forums seem to be shouting that they don't want to survive in the apocalypse. They just want to murder in it. And that shit gets old after a while...

There definitely ARE a multitude of ways to combat griefing. Player identification (realistic or otherwise). Anti-KoS defense methods (e.g. safehouses, craftable weapons, helmets). Reduction of gear dependency and attachment (e.g. defensible stashes, storage). Create penalties for player killing (e.g. zombies are more attracted to PKers because they smell like blood and death, animals run away, heartbeats when close to KoSers). And many, many more.

But the DayZ devs continue to pander to KoSers because that is, currently, their primary target group, right? The "learn to play" / "get good" crowd. The ones that blame the victims for not being good enough to defend themselves. These sad people that are attracted to, not only, guns and shooting but also intentionally ruining everyone else's game experience and hours of time investment simply because they can. The ones that drive new players away from the game with their abhorrent speech and behavior.

But it won't last forever. Eventually SA will be given back to the community. And the community will come up with solutions to these problems just like they did in Mod. PvE servers will be added for some roleplaying communities. Faction vs faction servers will be added where each faction has their own server on a private shard. Anti-cheating tools will be given to server admins to keep their servers clear of cheating assholes.

DayZ SA is an awesome game. And it will get even better. We just have to wait a long-ass time for that to happen.

KoS isn't going anywhere. The SA is currently PvP oriented. You're going to have to deal with it.

If you want a game where you can walk up to a random internet stranger and talk about the weather, you're playing the wrong game. The devs aren't "pandering" to the KoS crowd. They're a bit busy developing a game atm to listen to the whining of the two groups of pro and anti-KoS. Neither party will be pleased fully either way so why bother at the moment.

Seriously...why do you people keep bringing this shit up? It's not KoSers VS. Rp VS. Casuals. Just play the fucking game the way you want to play it. You're play style is not preferable to anyone else's. It's a sandbox "survival" game.I personally think PvE oriented servers are absolutely the dumbest idea ever and present no fun to me at all, but if people wanna do that, hey why not. Go for it. Mod your own shit and make your own PvE paradise where you run around and whack zombies with axes and share peaches.

Player identification (realistic or otherwise). 

No. This does not need to be in the game. 

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 2

KoS isn't going anywhere. The SA is currently PvP oriented. You're going to have to deal with it.

If you want a game where you can walk up to a random internet stranger and talk about the weather, you're playing the wrong game. The devs aren't "pandering" to the KoS crowd. They're a bit busy developing a game atm to listen to the whining of the two groups of pro and anti-KoS. Neither party will be pleased fully either way so why bother at the moment.

Seriously...why do you people keep bringing this shit up? It's not KoSers VS. Rp VS. Casuals. Just play the fucking game the way you want to play it. You're play style is not preferable to anyone else's. It's a sandbox "survival" game.

KoS doesn't need to go anywhere but a balance can be found between the extensive griefing behavior we see now and a friendly carebear environment. Latest when the ability to create custom missions is added people will run away from the public hive in search of a more robust survival experience.

KoS doesn't need to go anywhere but a balance can be found between the extensive griefing behavior we see now and a friendly carebear environment. Latest when the ability to create custom missions is added people will run away from the public hive in search of a more robust survival experience.

Why does it need a balance? Please explain. I think the game is fine the way it is, minus the not being finished and the hackers. Griefers can be griefers, RPers can RP, etc etc.

Why does it need a balance? Please explain. I think the game is fine the way it is, minus the not being finished and the hackers. Griefers can be griefers, RPers can RP, etc etc.

Because when everyone is shooting everyone on the public hive it does not feel like a survival environment. It feels like a slow deathmatch. Per default the best type of interaction to have with another player is to shoot them. But, as I said, it doesn't matter. Once modding/mission support is added the community can take care of the problem themselves. You can play your KoS game with other KoSers. Survivalists can play with other survivalists. RP carebears can play with other carebears. Everyone will be happy even though the community will be splintered.

Latest when the ability to create custom missions is added people will run away from the public hive in search of a more robust survival experience [ DeployableBikes / FreeStarterKits / ExtraLoot / MaxVehicles / Jets / Missions / CustomBuildings / Traders / AS50s / Bases / TWS ]

Fixed for you ;)

• Like 2

Fixed for you ;)

True enough. But everyone will be able to play the game they want. There will, undoubtedly, be a few communities devoted to a hardcore SURVIVAL experience. And KoSers will be left to play by themselves.

Edited by scriptfactory