Sign in to follow this  
GregzTheGreat

The reason behind KoS: ?

The reason behind KoS? Poll.  

163 members have voted

1. 1. What is your justification behind Killing on sight?

• Fear of death.
    • Acquisition of loot.
    • "For fun."
    • I don't kill on sight.

I am honestly thinking that it would be more fair from you NOT to justify what you did.

You don't need to bring up a "reason" for why you KoS... Because your said reason is rather low in my opinia (and i have been KoS'd so many times that i can't count anymore)

Some reasons why your judgement (if it was real) failed:

He could be (in Electro):

- searching for an item for his injured friend

- searching for watter/food( i have been in this situation before, when you have to find it you have to, no matter the Electro or whatever) since you are on dark red...

- just enjoining a big city where you can actually interact with people (high populated area that is) as i did it many times. being in a big city does not mean 100% looking for trouble. Can you tell me that 100% he would have killed you? FFS, he might actually became your friend if he would have had a REAL chance, but he did'nt.

TL&DR: Do not justify your KoS, you have no real reason to do so. Just play as you want it but at least do not try to ease your conscience here.

It is useless.

My justification is prior experience.  I haven't run into a single armed person in a major city who didn't try and kill me.  The reason I had only a blaze rifle w/ 2 rounds is because I had just been killed a couple hours prior by someone running into the room I was in and axing me in the face before I could stop eating my food.  And that was in the middle of nowhere.

People are guilty until proven innocent in Dayz.

Edited by tofur

I onyl got KoS:ed once yesterday and that was in Vybor military base. Surely and improvement as I must've met at least ten people during the day.

Threads like this are great reading on the can

Cheese_With_That_Whine.gif

I hate KOS bandits as much as the next guy but I would have no idea what to do without them. Like a fine whine, I have a twisted sort of appreciation for bandit scum. 

Edited by Old_Crow_Whiskey

Threads like this are great reading on the can

Cheese_With_That_Whine.gif

I hate KOS bandits as much as the next guy but I would have no idea what to do without them. Like a fine whine, I have a twisted sort of appreciation for bandit scum. 

I agree. I was never whining. Just asking.

Rise up, KOSers! RISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE!

man-in-crowd-screaming.gif

SOME DAY WE SHALL RULE THE VAST LANDS OF CHERNAURUS, AND NONE SHALL STOP OUR SWATH OF VIOLENCE

I only KOS hopeless , classless KOSers ;) ... You can smell their kind for miles :) .

Edited by Grapefruit kush

I only KOS hopeless , classless KOSers ;) ... You can smell their kind for miles :) .

You're one step closer to being one of us

"I defend the weak and only shoot those who present themselves as a threat. Blah, blah, blah. I'm such a good person and I only ever do what is morally and ethically correct."

FORGET SUCH WEAK THOUGHTS.

You know you want to shoot everyone you see. Maggots usurping your claimed land. Stealing your goods.

CLAIMED.

EDIT: sorry, li'l tipsy when i posted this :D

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

"KoS is just weakness leaving the body."

-George Washington

if someone tries to steal my truck or looks at my truck with the wrong intentions, have no choice but to use deadly force.

can't have players stealing my truck....just don't like running!

Edited by Reg Park

I KoS when I panic, and boy I panic a lot. People comes out of the fucking nowhere in this game, I try to be as stealth as possible so that doesn't help too. If the survivor resist the first shot, then we talk and maybe I even help the person.

If I have melee then I rather talk first you know, I find it a safer option

Edited by Avant-Garde

i have to kill on sight often, mainly for fear that he has a much better kit and is looking for a good fight. but i normally try to make contact or avoid others. Most of the time i will attempt to disarm or make a player put their weapon on their back if i see them first. saying something like "Hey man, go ahead and put your gun away, dont try anything that'll get one of us killed, i know you dont want that" I give them the benefit of the doubt by doing this, letting them know i could've killed them, but i'd rather not bother killing someone defenseless and unaware. about 50% of the time i meet some cool people who talk to me, the other 50% ends in either them or me getting shot in the face without any communication. 

honestly, the most trustworthy people i meet respond somewhat like this "i can't do that" or "don't feel comfortable being unarmed at gunpoint". thats when i know i've met a rational guy that, just like me, doesnt want to end up on the coast, but rather make a friend or strike up a trade

my KOS deaths almost always occur just leaving a mil base. just the other day i was running through Vybor military, looting up with my little improvised pack, only a sporter on my back with ma trusty splitting axe, and some relatively low level military gear. i finish taking the gear i need and run for the wall, and i see a three man squad at the barracks, a fully ghillied guy with an AKM, a sniper, and another guy with an AK. i run by them, too late to turn back now, seeing the ghillied guy aiming at me as i round the corner, i yell out "hey guys dont want any trouble, don't shoot me and i'll be on way to the airfield"

without hesitation....
pew, pew, pew

"don't kill me man, come o...."

pew, pew, pew, pew -- You Are Dead

I never KoS.  I'm actually very much against it and play lonewolf.  But, as much as it can suck when it happens to us, we have to remember that it is a legitimate play-style.  In a real life post-apocalyptic scenario there will be people doing this.  There may not be many, but there will be some.  Whether they be evil, insane, scared, starving, dying of thirst, freezing cold, or just greedy for loot, it will happen.

Whenever someone kills me on sight my first reaction is anger.  Not at the KoS'er, but at myself.  If you get KoS'd, more times then not you are doing something wrong. You either engaged a stranger without having the upper hand, wandered around without having your head on a swivel, trusted strangers too soon, or entered an area that was high risk when it could have been avoided.

Bottom line: If you hate KoS (much like I do) then play as if you only had one chance like in real life.  Ever since doing this I can't remember the last time I was a victim of KoS.

Edited by karlkurtz32

where is the "screw you rick i menstruate allovert his carpet and burn the house down afterwards" option ?

I never KoS.  I'm actually very much against it and play lonewolf.  But, as much as it can suck when it happens to us, we have to remember that it is a legitimate play-style.  In a real life post-apocalyptic scenario there will be people doing this.  There may not be many, but there will be some.  Whether they be evil, insane, scared, starving, dying of thirst, freezing cold, or just greedy for loot, it will happen.

Whenever someone kills me on sight my first reaction is anger.  Not at the KoS'er, but at myself.  If you get KoS'd, more times then not you are doing something wrong. You either engaged a stranger without having the upper hand, wandered around without having your head on a swivel, trusted strangers too soon, or entered an area that was high risk when it could have been avoided.

Bottom line: If you hate KoS (much like I do) then play as if you only had one chance like in real life.  Ever since doing this I can't remember the last time I was a victim of KoS.

I completely agree with this.

If you play the game like you really had only one chance, you will stay alive for as long as you want, even on high pop servers, or untill you run into a hacker.

Playing like that takes up a lot more time tho, as you have to actually think, observe and plan things and move a lot slower, instead of just dashing in and out of houses and crossing streets and just praying there is nobody watching you. Also, some people find that the game gets boring if they simply keep surviving. They dont know what they want really. If they survive, the game has no point, untill they get shot in the face at the airfield, and suddenly they are angry because KoS !!

If i wanna KoS or risk getting KoS, i just make a freshie and get any gun. And then we see what happens. Sometimes i get into firefights, sometimes i meet friendlies, and sometimes crazy stuff happens. On my public tho i like to take my time and play super realistic. If i get bored, i can always make a new freshie on a private.

Edited by nillie

EDIT: sorry, li'l tipsy when i posted this :D

The blood of your victims had alcohol, right? :D

• Like 1

I'm starting to get the appeal of KOS. Yesterday I was at the NWAF camp, shot a guy coming out of a tent for no reason other than I had a sawn-off in hand and way too much ammo. As I crouch down to check his inventory I hear bullets whizzing past me so I duck into the tent and whip out my AKM which I had never fired once in the six days I've had it. To cut a long story short, I ended up in a firefight that lasted well over an hour, spanning the entire upper half of the NWAF, and involving at least eight people including myself. I even got help from two people who had come towards the gunfire. All three of us survived, we killed three people excluding the one I shot first whileat least two others got away. It really was the most fun I've had in DayZ in a long time, and all because I shot a guy for no reason.

• Like 1

I'm starting to get the appeal of KOS. Yesterday I was at the NWAF camp, shot a guy coming out of a tent for no reason other than I had a sawn-off in hand and way too much ammo. As I crouch down to check his inventory I hear bullets whizzing past me so I duck into the tent and whip out my AKM which I had never fired once in the six days I've had it. To cut a long story short, I ended up in a firefight that lasted well over an hour, spanning the entire upper half of the NWAF, and involving at least eight people including myself. I even got help from two people who had come towards the gunfire. All three of us survived, we killed three people excluding the one I shot first whileat least two others got away. It really was the most fun I've had in DayZ in a long time, and all because I shot a guy for no reason.

This, basically.

Once the game gets harder, it'll dull my bloodlust. However, until that time, let the bodies hit the metaphorical flo'.

• Like 1

That is actually amazing. I'll definitely take that into account. Be more mindful of said mindset.

• Like 1

Personally I kill on sight only near the coast (because people tend to simply bumrush you to loot your corpse) and near military areas (because people tend to simply shoot you to avoid competition). Either way it's just a reaction to an aggressive behaviour I've costantly noted in some areas of the map. In a way you can say I kill just out of precaution, but your option "fear of death" sounds really biased. You should choose a more neutral wording.

Yeah, well, sometimes I kill on sight if I decide to roleplay properly a survivor...because let's face it. My character had a front row seat in the collapse of a country and is currently running around in crazy cannibal land. Like hell he's going to play nice and say hello to the guy he spotted in the distance. It's fight or flight. Anyway...

Because there are no consequences

This is the best explanation. If you throw in something about "nothing else to do in-game" you have the perfect explanation...there's no playable mid/long term feature except shooting/clubbing people, so killing each other is both the only thing to do and also the one thing you can do without consequences. Wich is rather sad, considering two of the top selling point of the game is the supposed perma-death feature and/or the realistic survival simulation.

I actually think KOS should be broken down by areas.  I spend most of my time at NWAF and the military installations and you can believe I'm as geared as you can get.  Now I know that most people that visit these area's aren't there because they want to get a fully kitted AK to go deer hunting, it's because they want to hunt people.  That's the reason I hangout in these area's, so that I can hunt the people that want to bring harm to others and yes I KOS anyone I see there, as a matter of fact I look forward to it.

What that means is I'm not out in the woods looking for someone to kill, I'm not down on the coast killing Bambi's I'm killing people that want to fight.  If you don't want to get killed in those area's then stay away, the choice is yours!  There are a whole lot of towns on the map so nobody can say they "need" to go there so if you do expect to be put back to the coast.

Punisher

i have to kill on sight often, mainly for fear that he has a much better kit and is looking for a good fight. but i normally try to make contact or avoid others. Most of the time i will attempt to disarm or make a player put their weapon on their back if i see them first. saying something like "Hey man, go ahead and put your gun away, dont try anything that'll get one of us killed, i know you dont want that" I give them the benefit of the doubt by doing this, letting them know i could've killed them, but i'd rather not bother killing someone defenseless and unaware. about 50% of the time i meet some cool people who talk to me, the other 50% ends in either them or me getting shot in the face without any communication. 

honestly, the most trustworthy people i meet respond somewhat like this "i can't do that" or "don't feel comfortable being unarmed at gunpoint". thats when i know i've met a rational guy that, just like me, doesnt want to end up on the coast, but rather make a friend or strike up a trade

my KOS deaths almost always occur just leaving a mil base. just the other day i was running through Vybor military, looting up with my little improvised pack, only a sporter on my back with ma trusty splitting axe, and some relatively low level military gear. i finish taking the gear i need and run for the wall, and i see a three man squad at the barracks, a fully ghillied guy with an AKM, a sniper, and another guy with an AK. i run by them, too late to turn back now, seeing the ghillied guy aiming at me as i round the corner, i yell out "hey guys dont want any trouble, don't shoot me and i'll be on way to the airfield"

without hesitation....

pew, pew, pew

"don't kill me man, come o...."

pew, pew, pew, pew -- You Are Dead

It truly makes no sense when people do that. They can get an experience out of talking to you. They could help you, and you could help them. You could travel together and have such a better time on that particular life than being sent back to the coast within deathmatch city.