Sign in to follow this  
Damnyourdeadman

Forge Steel and Iron - Blacksmithing

How about we give the ability to smelt scrap metals into forging tools and weapons?

Granted we have wood to carve a handle,almost every metal tool can be created.

From hammers and screwdrivers to swords and axes.

Here are some steps,demonstrating how it works...

Step 1 :Create an Oven

dayz-0-53-ovens-are-in-how-to-craft-reci

Ovens are confirmed to work on experimental,they could do a fine base for a forge.

Step 2 : Place the metal inside
59d3a3998d9fc207248c6f0cc741ee42.jpg

The metal needs to be heated to extreme temperatures,in order to assume liquid form.

Step 3 :Forge the liquid metal to desired tool

A hammer is required to bend the liquid metal into a solid tool shape and form.
Maybe pliers and the use of additional tools is in order,but i try to keep it as simple as possible.

Step 4: Craft and attach handle

03missdebbiehammer.jpg

A steel head is useless without the tool's handle.
A survivor should carve a handle out of wood using a knife.

Step 5 :Profit
hammer-1.jpg

Attach the tool's steel head over your handle and craft your desired tool.

i dont think a normal fireplace oven is hot enough.

where to get all the iron from?

and u also need a shitload of tools and items.. just to smelt a hammer?? no ty

• Like 1

the idea is fine, but the amount of players that would actually do this or find this useful is pretty slim.  I'd like to have a shank, sure, but there are already so many tools in the loot spawn that it's pointless.  

• Like 1

the idea is fine, but the amount of players that would actually do this or find this useful is pretty slim.  I'd like to have a shank, sure, but there are already so many tools in the loot spawn that it's pointless.  

Well,crafting a shank is one thing.

But the idea is you can craft almost anything tool related.

I don't know about you,but forging your sword,your splitting axe or even your hoe is a very good idea imo. :)

And it's not like there is a lack of scrap metal.There are literally a ton of vehicles rotting away in the Chernarusian landscape.

Forging a bonafide sword is not something players should be able to do... sharpened leaf springs and lawnmower blades, broadheads, simple axes, rustic machetes, that would be more like it... but by the time you had a forge set up you could have found such items anyways. Seems like this idea would be more useful in an RPG where you could join some bladesmith guild, develop your skills and hawk your wares to other players. In DayZ you would easily find better stuff lying on the ground, bandits would come spoil the fun before you got anything done, your forge would be raided or destroyed when you logged off, and forging cool stuff like plate armour, longswords or katana wouldn't be realistic. Not a bad idea but of very limited use right now.

For example

THAI-KNIFE-ARANYIK-5160-SABER-MACHETE-18

Edited by Gews
  • Like 2

i would like to have a little base set up in the middle of no where, with farms, tent, a dirt bike, and i think that a mechanic like this could only make it better. but it would need to be quite extensive to counter its complexity...

• Like 1

i would like to have a little base set up in the middle of no where, with farms, tent, a dirt bike, and i think that a mechanic like this could only make it better. but it would need to be quite extensive to counter its complexity...

Maybe the ability to forge unique items that can't otherwise be acquired like an axe that doubles up as, I don't know, a hoe or a pickaxe. Could also allow the construction of simple ammo types, especially proper arrows and bolts (assuming that improvised ones would be less effective, which they should be).

Or, perhaps more realistic, allow metal to be forged into simple armoured plates which can be worn by the player or welded to vehicles.

• Like 2

Sounds cool and all but lets be honest.

Crafting outside of simple crafting is not going to be a big thing in dayz.

• Like 2

It's not a bad idea but like some of the chaps above have stated its kind of redundant.. perhaps something like this would have been more suited to that 2017 mod where shit was even more scarce than dayz and everyone looked like they had just stepped off the set of that kevin Costner apoc moofie where the world is full of water and bandits ride farkn jet ski's :D

Apparently there was a new dayz 2017 coming out SOon just to get side tracked some......

BACK ON POINT CACTUS NO 1 CARES

Yep,you could sit back in your farm,forging your tools from scrap metal rather than going through scavenging.

As the game strafes it's focus on survival,this mechanic would enhance gameplay greatly.

Maybe the ability to forge unique items that can't otherwise be acquired like an axe that doubles up as, I don't know, a hoe or a pickaxe. Could also allow the construction of simple ammo types, especially proper arrows and bolts (assuming that improvised ones would be less effective, which they should be).

Or, perhaps more realistic, allow metal to be forged into simple armoured plates which can be worn by the player or welded to vehicles.

I agree on the unique recipe part.

Also player crafted armor is something that could be awesome.

At first we should just be able to craft stuff like nails, spikes, knives and crude hammers. I want safe houses so bad.

Forging your nails is a very good idea and can be made a necessity for base building and barricading.

An average structure,would use a very large supply.

Sounds cool and all but lets be honest.

Crafting outside of simple crafting is not going to be a big thing in dayz.

You are saying this because we are used to abundant loot. :)

I don't know about you,but concerning myself,i really want the loot quantity to be dramatically decreased as more survival based mechanics are implemented.

This is a good way to achieve a more survival oriented gameplay.

It's not a bad idea but like some of the chaps above have stated its kind of redundant.. perhaps something like this would have been more suited to that 2017 mod where shit was even more scarce than dayz and everyone looked like they had just stepped off the set of that kevin Costner apoc moofie where the world is full of water and bandits ride farkn jet ski's :D

Apparently there was a new dayz 2017 coming out SOon just to get side tracked some......

BACK ON POINT CACTUS NO 1 CARES

I really hope they make loot a lot more scarce in the future.

This mechanic fleshes out a versatile crafting system,which is a good addition to the game's survival aspect. :)

At first we should just be able to craft stuff like nails, spikes, knives and crude hammers. I want safe houses so bad.

I also cant wait for the safehouse creating/barricading.. I'm so intrigued as to how it will actually work.. boarding houses from the outside ? that could be fine if you use enough materials to cover the entrances but it wont be perfect.. boarding your house from the inside ? guarantees that no one is getting in but you are locked inside and need to use and have more materials (hammer, crowbar) to un secure the house to leave if you prefer to secure once you are about to log off

• Like 1

I also cant wait for the safehouse creating/barricading.. I'm so intrigued as to how it will actually work.. boarding houses from the outside ? that could be fine if you use enough materials to cover the entrances but it wont be perfect.. boarding your house from the inside ? guarantees that no one is getting in but you are locked inside and need to use and have more materials (hammer, crowbar) to un secure the house to leave if you prefer to secure once you are about to log off

I enjoy something like this:

• Safehouse are able to get boarded up from the inside and/or outside. Breaking through these barricades should take a decent amount of time and generate noise attracting zombies.
  • Doors should be able to be secured with combination locks.
  • We can set traps (bear traps, electrocution traps, shotgun traps, etc.) inside or outside the house.
  • Traps can be "hidden" with canvas, boards, nails and spraypaint.
  • We can create fake traps on the floor so we can safely get into our own safehouses.
  • Dogs can be set to "guard mode" to automatically attack people that come into our houses.

I would love an server-side option to automatically reset traps/pets after a person escapes but that is a bit fake. It would, however, guarantee that players had to get through your complete "trap matrix" to get at your loot.

Edited by scriptfactory
  • Like 1

Me too,i can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

I remember making a suggestion including my 2 cents on the subject way back in April.

I think you kinda liked that one... :D

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

I enjoy something like this:

• Safehouse are able to get boarded up from the inside and/or outside. Breaking through these barricades should take a decent amount of time and generate noise attracting zombies.
  • Doors should be able to be secured with combination locks.
  • We can set traps (bear traps, electrocution traps, shotgun traps, etc.) inside or outside the house.
  • Traps can be "hidden" with canvas, boards, nails and spraypaint.
  • We can create fake traps on the floor so we can safely get into our own safehouses.
  • Dogs can be set to "guard mode" to automatically attack people that come into our houses.

I would love an server-side option to automatically reset traps/pets after a person escapes but that is a bit fake. It would, however, guarantee that players had to get through your complete "trap matrix" to get at your loot.

Leaving Companion Pets as guards on our safehouse even when we are not in the server,is an extremely awesome idea. :D

Also traps is definitely something i'm very looking forward to,especially claymore traps.

• Like 2

This is a pretty good idea.. Leave the mongrel enough water and food than you log in 2 dayz later and the dog has shit all through your house and your character requires a gasmask for the noxious gas your best friend has created and turned your house into a GAS CHAMBER   :D

That maybe be taking things a bit far but dayz fantasies get me like that sometimes 

Edited by liquidcactus

Me too,i can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

I remember making a suggestion including my 2 cents on the subject way back in April.

I think you kinda liked that one... :D

Yes! I do remember that one :D all the way back in april.. wow.. glad no one told me back then we still wouldnt have any zombies in dayz to this day :P

• Like 1