Sign in to follow this  
gannon46

special rounds for shotguns

i was thinking about alternative rounds for the shotgun like flechette ammo, as well as i've seen bola ammo these would be great flechette is used in high wooded areas to cut through the brush to hit a target and the bola can be used to incapacitate. i also have seen armor slugs mainly used to blast open doors or pierce car doors to hit a target. i think if we had rounds like this the shotgun we become an asset to every survivor group if it hasn't already. and if you want to get real crazy add dragon breath but not sure if they even work the video i watched of it they seem sketchy to even fire. i'm sure there are even more types of rounds that you all can think of that i don't know about. i'd love to hear your ideas and opinions on this as i think it would be great to see different types of ammo available not only for the shotgun but other weapons. now that i think about it i should have said alternative rounds for shotgun instead of special just woke up sorry lol.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 8

and bread ammo for feeding ducks. and duck ammo for feeding wolves. stone ammo,feather ammo.......

no this is not battlefield

and bread ammo for feeding ducks. and duck ammo for feeding wolves. stone ammo,feather ammo.......

Completely unecessary, it's a good post, 'special' shotgun rounds aren't a thing exclusive to battlefield, Flechette is pretty common among hunters, then you've got beanbag, rocksalt, Slugs, Birdshot etc,

• Like 6

different types of shotgun rounds like slugs and birdshot doesn't turn it into battlefield........

different types of shotgun rounds like slugs and birdshot doesn't turn it into battlefield........

but flechette and incindiary

Um yeah he never said he wanted it to be battlefield.

It's not unreasonable to some time in the future have milspawns contain different types of shotgun ammo.

What are you talking about?

Non lethal shotgun ammo is common among many county folks for self defense purposes.

In my country,the most common use of them is rock salt.

The pellets of salt disperse from the shell blasting their way out of the barrel and penetrate the victim's skin layer.

As the salt dissolves making contact with the victim's soft tissue,it causes excruciating pain,capable of immobilizing them instantly.

I also made a topic about it in the past as i found it a very good addition to DayZ's non lethal weapon arsenal and adds to the shotgun's preference value.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 2

I would love this.

Even more so, I'd find it awesome if this would be the first game that let's you combine types at once.
For example, putting a buckshot and a slug in a double barrel at once :p. No idea why, but I would like it.

What are you talking about?

Non lethal shotgun ammo is common among many county folks for self defense purposes.

In my country,the most common use of them is rock salt.

The pellets of salt disperse from the shell blasting their way out of the barrel and penetrate the victim's skin layer.

As the salt dissolves making contact with the victim's soft tissue,it causes excruciating pain,capable of immobilizing them instantly.

I also made a topic about it in the past as i found it a very good addition to DayZ's non lethal weapon arsenal and adds to the shotgun's preference value.

Great topic btw, as a medic I have always been in support of less then lethal options for subduing a subject who may have set me up.  I'm not for killing other players so I always thought of this as a great option.  There was a pretty good mod server which died off and it had a scripted butt stroke option to knock a player out without killing said player, it was fantastic.  On topic I would like to see some options in rounds for the shotgun as I think they are great weapons and with proper options you could accomplish alot more with them.

• Like 1

I'd like some variety in shells, including non-lethal ammo added. Not sure about weird stuff like bolas and incendiary, but deer slug, bean bag and rock salt would definitely be interesting additions.

Flichette rounds are questionable, it's illegal in some places and I haven't read much on Soviet/post-Soviet usage (at least in shotguns).  Dragon's breath would be a no for me.  But I do think we need more round types, weather it's beanbag/rubber/plastic slugs found in police stations, player made rocksalt, or player made coinshot, even cutshells.

• Like 1

I would be happy with just:

Beans bags (police) > Rubber/Plastic Slugs (police) > Rock Salt (cabins/farms) > Birdshot (cabins/farms) > Buckshot (everywhere) > Slugs (everywhere)

Other stuff might be neat, even a rare blunderbus gun for an array of craftable ammo would be cool but complicated of course.

Edited by BioHaze

I like the idea of different shotgun rounds. But to add onto the idea I would also want tracer rounds. You should also be able to load single rounds into mags. So you could load a tracer round like every 3rd round in you mag. Or have a SxS with a slug in one barrel and buckshot in the other.

actually i don't play Battlefield or COD. i mentioned flechette because its good at medium range and it goes through brush better and since the map has brush and woods it would work great for tools like you hiding in bushes. i mentioned dragons breath for shits and giggles figured some folks might like it sorry if you don't and personally i don't care if you don't.

Edited by gannon46

Flechette is pretty common among hunters

Not. At. All.

• Like 2

You understand that anything you stick infront of the wad can become lethal through a shotgun and is actually a thing, right?

Would be interesting if we had reloading ammunition at some point in the SA and alternatives for shot or a slug could be improvised.

You're going to rough up the shotgun, but this isn't going to be a weapon you actually care about like it was one you owned out of the game.

I would be happy with just:

Beans bags (police) > Rubber/Plastic Slugs (police) > Rock Salt (cabins/farms) > Birdshot (cabins/farms) > Buckshot (everywhere) > Slugs (everywhere)

Other stuff might be neat, even a rare blunderbus gun for an array of craftable ammo would be cool but complicated of course.

To add onto this, perhaps being able to find "Magnum" strength cartridges as a rarity version of the common shotgun shells.

Commonly shotgun shells exist in 2.75" or 3" (also known as Magnum Cartridges) or even 3.5" (reffered to as "Super Magnum") although 3.5" is generally much more uncommon so I'll leave those out.

For Europe at least, it's common to find 2.75" and 3" Birdshot shells, the way I see Birdshot working in-game, is like a weaker version of regular buckshot. It would offer a higher spread at the expense damage over range and like it's design sake, be designed to kill small targets (such as birds, rats, rabbits and other small game). Magnum grade Birdshot would offer high range, penetration and damage but they still would be sub-par to buckshot.

Military strength cartridges are almost always 3", so I think if you were to find Buckshot or Slugs in Military Zones they should be "Military Grade Buckshot" or "Military Grade Slugs". For guns like the MP133 they'd reduce the magazine size by 1 (if they were 3"), but would also increase the range, penetration and power behind each shot. PLUS, if they were to add any semi-automatic shotgun into the game, they would need to fire 3" shells, as most semi-auto's cant reliable fire 2.75" without regular jamming.

Also, in addition to Rock Salt, a new kind of "Slug" alternative, could be a Pepperball Slug. It's concept is similar to a plastic slug, in that it fires a round light plastic ball containing a powdered form of Pepper Spray. It provides more of a visual less-lethal effect over the pain effect of Rock Salt. Effects would be an intense burning sensation of the chemicals, blurring eyesight as well the impact of the light plastic ball that strikes the target.

You understand that anything you stick infront of the wad can become lethal through a shotgun and is actually a thing, right?

Would be interesting if we had reloading ammunition at some point in the SA and alternatives for shot or a slug could be improvised.

You're going to rough up the shotgun, but this isn't going to be a weapon you actually care about like it was one you owned out of the game.

Four instances I can offer in relation to this post with four videos showcasing ideal uses for "improvised" shotgun shells:

Cut Shells - A simple method to create a more lethal iteration of buckshot and birdshot (only useful at close range)

Improvised Slugs

Wax and Glue Slugs

Crazy Improvised Shotgun Rounds

Edited by Draco122
  • Like 2

-snip-

Need to be careful about this though as using 3" shells with a 2.75" chamber can cause problems.  I think this might even be true for break actions such as the IZH though would defer to Gews' wisdom on the subject.

Question is would it be simpler to make a shotguns 'magnums' and just use the 3" rounds for everything?  Or split up the guns, military guns (if added) chambered for 3" and civi guns chambered for 2.75"?  Or have Civi guns in 3" and 2.75" and have the player have to check the gun and ammo before use?

Not. At. All.

agreed i know a lot of hunters and most just use slugs. i don't think you can go into a gunstore and buy it as i frequent them a lot. but we are in a country that i figure might have laws that are a little more loose than the US. 

agreed i know a lot of hunters and most just use slugs. i don't think you can go into a gunstore and buy it as i frequent them a lot. but we are in a country that i figure might have laws that are a little more loose than the US. 

I doubt it, European Countries usually have stricter gun laws than the US, and while I don't think Flechette rounds are banned federally it is kind of a state by state thing.  And even then there's laws regarding just hunting too (IE its Illegal in Pennsylvania to hunt with an autoloader and here in Hawaii it's illegal to crossbow hunt (unless you have a valid disability and a special permit) yet it's not illegal to own an autoloader or crossbow in either)

That said, Chenarus is a fictional country with only a fragment of established lore (were not even 100% sure that the events of Arma 2 occurred in the DayZ universe) so for all we know there could be NO gun laws there, or there could be extremely tight gun laws but just a well established black market.  For me it makes little sense to have something like Flechette rounds to be common, as I don't even think most militaries  use it for shotguns (and it's more or less banned in artillery)

Need to be careful about this though as using 3" shells with a 2.75" chamber can cause problems.  I think this might even be true for break actions such as the IZH though would defer to Gews' wisdom on the subject.

Question is would it be simpler to make a shotguns 'magnums' and just use the 3" rounds for everything?  Or split up the guns, military guns (if added) chambered for 3" and civi guns chambered for 2.75"?  Or have Civi guns in 3" and 2.75" and have the player have to check the gun and ammo before use?

Just about every 12 ga these days has a 3" chamber, both guns in-game do, 3" shell is already very old and standard. And military/police almost always use 2-3/4", 3" is if you want extra power/pellets hunting. 2-3/4" buckshot and slugs will cycle fine in most any decent autoloader, the low brass target loads are the problem for some.

Yup, it's a novelty which no one uses (not militaries either) and no major ammo company produces.

Flechettes really aren't necessary - you wouldn't get too much of a difference in performance gameplay wise regardless, and they're just not common anywhere to justify it.

Slugs are really the only shell I'd say is "necessary" to have in the game (or back in the game, working.) Bean bag shells, or rock salt shells (or both, one being a police/military less-than-lethal choice and the other being a civilian choice) and breacher shells would be interesting to have, too.

I also like the concept of Frag-12/HE shells, but those are still fairly experimental so you'd really only find them at helicopter crashsites if anywhere, and honestly they're just too far fetched to be worthwhile. (What's the point when they can just add grenade launchers?)

I would like to see non lethal rounds spawn in police stations but that is the extent of wanting new rounds. Not saying other rounds are not cool or anything, I just find non lethal rounds in police station due to riots caused by the infection spreading and mass hestairia a more viable reason for them to exist than finding a dragons breath round anywhere.

Plus it actually has a use. If I want range I can get a rifle or even a long horn. But having a non lethal solution in the form of a sawed off shotgun that I can use when the situation needed it would be very valuable.

Edited by Madfireshot

Not. At. All.

I know a number of people who shoot duck with flechette, it's quite a popular round, if a little expensive among shooters I know.