Cap'n (DayZ)

When did people start hating on the game so hard?

Involved, conversing, yes. Making decisions based on feedback, not really, no.

Well to be fair, if they made decisions based on the feedback of some of the more....umm....how do I say this without getting a warning point......"enlightened"....people here, the game would be much worse off than it is now lol. So I can't necessarily always blame them for not following with what the community wants.

• Like 1

Involved, conversing, yes. Making decisions based on feedback, not really, no. 

Says who? Maybe a lot of the feedback is just so dumb it's not worth considering.

• Like 1

Says who? Maybe a lot of the feedback is just so dumb it's not worth considering.

Well, there you go, that mentality is very likely the reason behind the negative press that Dayz gets. OP doesn't have to wonder anymore.

Scroll through the pages of this forum sometimes, you will find many brilliant threads containing logical solutions and possible great content for Dayz. If only 10% of it had been utilized, this game would be the king right now.

Edited by Highlander007

Well, there you go, that mentality is very likely the reason behind the negative press that Dayz gets. OP doesn't have to wonder anymore.

Scroll through the pages of this forum sometimes, you will find many brilliant threads containing logical solutions and possible great content for Dayz. If only 10% of it had been utilized, this game would be the king right now.

A lot of the feedback is along the lines of "OMG STOP ADDING STUFF AND FIX HACKERS AAARGHH" or "why dont we have 17 different vehicles yet?" or "I PAID 30 BUCKS FOR THIS SHIT FUCK YOU I WANT MY MONEY BACK!" or "Dean Hall is sipping margaritas with our money and the game wont ever be finished!"

That qualifies as stupid feedback. Feedback that is constructive and sensible is used. No point in denying that. Just because they don't add everything that is suggested right away doesn't mean they're ignoring people.

• Like 1

A lot of the feedback is along the lines of "OMG STOP ADDING STUFF AND FIX HACKERS AAARGHH" or "why dont we have 17 different vehicles yet?" or "I PAID 30 BUCKS FOR THIS SHIT FUCK YOU I WANT MY MONEY BACK!" or "Dean Hall is sipping margaritas with our money and the game wont ever be finished!"

That qualifies as stupid feedback. Feedback that is constructive and sensible is used. No point in denying that. Just because they don't add everything that is suggested right away doesn't mean they're ignoring people.

You have probably seen it, but in case you haven't, I have been talking about this kind of feedback.

Well thought out and and drawing logical conclusions from experience.

Aye, feedback like this useful, and the developers do take note of it. In this video Frankie complains about graphic issues like sunlight piercing through walls and ceiling, and KOS being rampant because death has little consequence, and you don't really need others to survive.

And those criticisms are being taken into account, as they are working on the game engine, and as the development process goes on, survival will become much more tricky. More and better zeds, harsher environmental penalties, scarcer loot, et cetera. And Frankie also acknowledges that fixing issues is easier said than done.

Aye, feedback like this useful, and the developers do take note of it. In this video Frankie complains about graphic issues like sunlight piercing through walls and ceiling, and KOS being rampant because death has little consequence, and you don't really need others to survive.

And those criticisms are being taken into account, as they are working on the game engine, and as the development process goes on, survival will become much more tricky. More and better zeds, harsher environmental penalties, scarcer loot, et cetera. And Frankie also acknowledges that fixing issues is easier said than done.

The key is ramping up the survival and the zeds high enough where surviving hourly needs to be a thing even with the best Full Automatic loadout weapons. I really think the headshot only to kill an infected possibly needs to happen. Look how easy it is to spray a gun right now graze one and kill it. Two well placed shots on the body usually does it.

AND look at how The Long Dark is doing there survival. If you put it on the hardest mode EVERYTHING can kill you in that game. Surviving hourly becomes absolutely crucial from trying to keep yourself constantly warm to planning out what your going to do with the remaining 5 bullets you have in your poorly maintained rifle before going outside. Even one misstep in your actions can get you outright killed of bleed out to die. Sorry for going offtopic a little but that game has some pretty incredible fights for survival in it.

off topic--The Long Dark...awesome game, have been playing it...

not sure that can really relate to DayZ, other than a kind of "see how hard this is, make DayZ harder". we will have world containers, and guess we will wait for predator animals....escape a town full of zombies using the last of your ammo to run smack into a pack of wolves as you crest a hill....hells ya!!

on topic--haters hate hateless hating for hates sake!!!

not sure that can really relate to DayZ, other than a kind of "see how hard this is, make DayZ harder". we will have world containers, and guess we will wait for predator animals....escape a town full of zombies using the last of your ammo to run smack into a pack of wolves as you crest a hill....hells ya!!

It would be nice if we could get some kind of extreme seasonal changes that include snow and frozen ice making things like lakes and streams much harder to have access to for water sources without the proper tools.

Well if they really hate the game they should be playing things they do like rather than bitch on steam, here and other places. But than again i think true age of allot of these players really start to show when you try to voice chat in game with some of them......lol

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

It would be nice if we could get some kind of extreme seasonal changes that include snow and frozen ice making things like lakes and streams much harder to have access to for water sources without the proper tools.

Well if they really hate the game they should be playing things they do like rather than bitch on steam, here and other places. But than again i think true age of allot of these players really start to show when you try to voice chat in game with some of them......lol

right on with the seasonal changes things...would be a huge addition

sometimes i think i accidentally kicked on an episode of Alvin and the Chipmunks attempting to communicate with a random...run...run away

sometimes i think i accidentally kicked on an episode of Alvin and the Chipmunks attempting to communicate with a random...run...run away

All squeakers must die

• Like 2

There is an awesome Namalsk map for DayZ-Mod which makes players monitor their body temperature, gather and save heatpacks, warm up near campfire and search for warm clothes to be able to venture into mountain regions.

Now imagine this in DayZ-SA with it's complex health system. ))

Edited by Zak_Prestor

Well thought out and and drawing logical conclusions from experience.

nuff said...

There is an awesome Namalsk map for DayZ-Mod which makes players monitor their body temperature, gather and save heatpacks, warm up near campfire and search for warm clothes to be able to venture into mountain regions.

Now imagine this in DayZ-SA with it's complex health system. ))

Namalsk is both a map and a Mod. BP and Epidemic had some similar systems.....take heat packs to the oil rig if you want to search all of it and leave the heli running, maybe hang out and snipe...Epidemic had bots to fight too, as well as decent zeds....

hope you're just being honestly sarcastic...not real sure what )) means to be truthful.....i have imagined, and other than some balance issues and coming up with a better way to inform us of our condition i think the complexity is there...i mean unless you want to have to poop too...

*clarity

Edited by thznutz

So, I decided to edit my Steam review of the Alpha a couple of days ago to update some of my opinions as it's been a year and I think the game has come pretty far. Before even editing it, I look down to the review section. And bam, I'm instantly surprised. Like damn. At least six or seven negative reviews. Recent too, and the majority of them complain about the recent sale controversy (I didn't see the problem, but it was an avoidable problem the devs brought upon themselves). The rest were primarily concerned with bugs and a few were fairly personal attacks on the devs. And damn, their approval rate was high.

This confused me. I've dumped like 650 some hours into it. I thoroughly enjoy the game. It's won awards too. And now I look over the internet, and I see that several youtubers whose career survived off DayZ, now they simply trash talk it and are sponsored by Sony for that free to play zombie thing (The one with the swine flu name? I couldn't bother to search). And then I look at reddit, and good god r/gaming is massive cancerous ulcer. There was some shitty meme pic posted and it had something to do with the sale and rocket and got a ton of upvotes and a bunch of trolls spilled over into r/dayz and it got shitty so the devs basically abandoned it and are now apparently going to turn the forums into their main community communication tool (about time). But all that still bothers me and confuses me.

Like three or four months ago, none of this was heard of. People had occasional criticisms (some valid, some not imho), but few actively attack the game and it's media and no were NEAR the current scale. Now, hell I see people discussing it in other games. I got kicked off a Red Orchestra server because some stuff some guys said about it pissed me off (they were the clan that ran the server), and I tried to defend the game. Hell, even in this forum we've got six or seven active trolls I say troll because there is a difference between someone who has criticisms and someone who posts nothing but attacks on the game itself in a vulgar and flame bait manner. And the mods do nothing about that, until these posts boil over into an actual flame war then they hand out warnings.

But what puzzled me even more is that 88% something percent of the reviews are positive on the steam page, yet most of the front page is still reviews attacking the game. What? That doesn't really make sense to me. 

I'm putting on my tin foil hat now.

I'll go ahead and place the burden of the blame r/gaming. That's the only way I can explain it to myself, and it makes enough sense. A high profile shit thread gets a ton of upvotes (anyone defending the game got downvoted into oblivion, and you had to scroll FARRR down to see any kind of defense). What I think, is that all these people went to steam off reddit and gave a thumbs up to any negative review they saw just so they can get that little satisfaction. cunts

Still, I'm kind of confused. What do you guys think?

they always hated dayz and there always wil be haters

You know, it sometimes hurts to see how some superloyal fans of DayZ and ARMA franchises leave sarcastic comments: not because those comments ARE sarcastic, but because they have a valid point.

tapped out at 3:36...meh...he circle strafes the wrong direction...the guy failing at KOS should've maintained some distance...duh, you have a gun...the running behind with the machete was nice tho...lol...didnt get any of the sarcasm unfortunately...dont speak russian <_<

The thing is, harder elements mean even more KOS because you then need food from others backpack, clothes from their back to keep warm, food from their back too (non canned long pork) lol. Skill system that Frankie talks about + consequences for the people killing left and right without rhyme or reason are needed. Or maybe not needed, maybe the targeted audience in this game is 9 year olds that just want that COD feeling in a survival game.

Aye, I hope you enjoy getting torn apart by zombies when your gunshots attract anything withing a half mile radius. And who knows, that guy you shot might not even have anything, so you just invited a lot more problems rather than solving any. Or you just might run into a group that does realize there's power in numbers.

The thing is, harder elements mean even more KOS because you then need food from others backpack, clothes from their back to keep warm, food from their back too (non canned long pork) lol. Skill system that Frankie talks about + consequences for the people killing left and right without rhyme or reason are needed. Or maybe not needed, maybe the targeted audience in this game is 9 year olds that just want that COD feeling in a survival game.

Hm fair point...

I think frankie nailed it when he said no company has gotten it right yet on how to curb KOSing. Personally, I don't really mind it at all. I get it as much as I get it, but no one has really come up with a solid way to avoid it.

Hm fair point...

I think frankie nailed it when he said no company has gotten it right yet on how to curb KOSing. Personally, I don't really mind it at all. I get it as much as I get it, but no one has really come up with a solid way to avoid it.

I think we need a distinction between KOS for the lulz and killing for survival. 

Also, if you're going after people's gear, shooting them is generally not a good idea, since you risk ruining what you were after.

Lastly, once the game becomes challenging in the survival department, how many lulzkids are still going to be playing?

• Like 1

I think we need a distinction between KOS for the lulz and killing for survival. 

Also, if you're going after people's gear, shooting them is generally not a good idea, since you risk ruining what you were after.

Lastly, once the game becomes challenging in the survival department, how many lulzkids are still going to be playing?

Hmm..on one hand I tend to agree with you, but on the other hand, I don't really want the game to restrict me from killing for the lulz, as I do it quite a bit. I'm open to a system that could "penalize" me for that, in some regards, but I don't think it's even possible to design a workable system that could distinguish between the two. 

If the game wants to give me some sort of "sanity" penalty or "blah system whatever" repercussion for my rampant unwarranted murder of people, I'm totally okay with that. However, I don't want to ever be restricted on killing in any way.

Hmm..on one hand I tend to agree with you, but on the other hand, I don't really want the game to restrict me from killing for the lulz, as I do it quite a bit. I'm open to a system that could "penalize" me for that, in some regards, but I don't think it's even possible to design a workable system that could distinguish between the two. 

If the game wants to give me some sort of "sanity" penalty or "blah system whatever" repercussion for my rampant unwarranted murder of people, I'm totally okay with that. However, I don't want to ever be restricted on killing in any way.

Oh, I don't really mind either way, but I just like to make a distinction. In a sense, it doesn't matter who killed me and why. I'm dead, what do I care? would never kill for lulz, but the fact that others would helps keep me on my toes. I loathe the idea of karma systems, since the only kind of karma I believe in is the one you dish out yourself. The penalization for killing with impunity should come from the environment, with gunfire attracting all sorts of unwanted attention in the form of zombies and other survivors with itchy trigger fingers. Enforcing rigid mechanics just doesn't work for me. If I want the game deciding whether I'm good or evil, I'll go play Fable (ha, just kidding, nobody plays Fable!).

Edited by Sacha
  • Like 5

lots of trolls and butthurt hack-customers....also the ill informed unwashed masses will hate on anything anyways...

This somehow turned into yet another KoS thread. How many years in a row are you people going to be talking in circles about this non-issue? You have absolutely no idea how many times you were watched and allowed to live, none of us do. Just give it a rest already or at least keep it in its designated thread.

Edited by JubeiDOK