SaviorSixx

Killed a combat logger...

So, just some background, I just broke 400 hrs. after some time off, so am not in the super elite territory.  I know where to go, what to do, and how to do it.  I cant stand server hopping hoarders, even though I admit I've done it a few times after a new patch for the shiny shiny, (we all have, if you say you haven't, well its your life).

So.....

I was travelling up north after a particularly bad spawn down in Elektro, another story, near the tower. I spawned into a nighttime server, Proctor U.  I quickly found a shotgun and only 2 rounds of ammo, a sledge, and some food.  I searched the tower and found a couple of pistols but no ammo. I noticed that there was no zeds and that put me on my feet, head moving 360 as I moved from spot to spot, as that usually means someone been there.

Nothing...

I ran into the round top building, (prison, jail idk), and found an empty fnx clip.  Quickly searched the area as I have had the most pvp experiences here.  Headed west and bugged out of town before I was capped by a bandit group, (im a lone wolf).

Running...

I started to run by the industrial complex to my left, and thought, "hey I can get a fireaxe in there in case I need to build a fire", and moved into the complex area.  I felt pretty secure no on was there since it was a low loot area, (i know better now), and quickly started moving through the buildings.  Last was the construction office building, (don't know what its called but that's what I call it, 2 floors and a bathroom). Downstairs, couple of cans of soda, nothing special, so I ran upstairs, (no zeds in area, so am running with my shotgun out).....

Surprise...

In the top floor a quickly look about, and find a player hunched over in the logout crouch.  I didn't even think, I blew him away, don't try to escape from me, I play for the game not for the loot, and my thought was he was trying to log to avoid interaction, not necessarily combat log .  I killed him and searched him, most of his upper half was ruined, but I did find a pristine AK with 3 clips, a longhorn with 1 stack of ammo, 2 water bottles full, Canteen Full, all in a mountain backpack with plenty of food, and a Uk assault vest.

(TLDR)So.....

My question is, if you find someone in the logout pose, do you kill them to teach them a lesson, or leave them be?

some guy was logging out to avoid a potentially lethal hostile encounter with you and you punish him for it by smoking him (WHILE HE'S COMPLETELY DEFENSELESS) ?

a real hero you are...

tell me...what lesson did you teach him? that he should've just fired at you as soon as you started running up to the building? because that's exactly what he's going to do next time is KOS

Edited by anarky321
  • Like 5

some guy was logging out to avoid a potentially lethal hostile encounter with you and you punish him for it by smoking him (WHILE HE'S COMPLETELY DEFENSELESS) ?

a real hero you are...

tell me...what lesson did you teach him? that he should've just fired at you as soon as you started running up to the building? because that's exactly what he's going to do next time is KOS

This isn't about teaching lessons. 

You kill him. You always kill combat loggers. Always. If somebody is logging out of the game so that they don't have to interact with you, they are cowards. That's one of the most lowdown, despicable, shameful things you can do in a video game. 

Logging out of the actual game as a method of retreat is not a valid playstyle. It is not strategy. It is not the way the game is intended to be played. You think that logging out to avoid a potentially hostile encounter is just fine. And you're wrong. That's not fine. That's despicable. He should be punished for his attempt to escape combat by using a game mechanic that isn't designed as a retreat function that warps you into the void where you're safe.

In a real life scenario, you can't just teleport out of your current plane of existence to safety. 

It's cowardice. 

Always kill combat loggers. No exceptions

• Like 13

a real hero you are...

That's kinda what I was thinking, because I didn't think, I just acted.  I usually like to interact with people, but this time, I just reacted.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

You kill him. You always kill combat loggers. Always. If somebody is logging out of the game so that they don't have to interact with you, they are cowards. That's one of the most lowdown, despicable, shameful things you can do in a video game. 

Logging out of the actual game as a method of retreat is not a valid playstyle. It is not strategy. It is not the way the game is intended to be played. You think that logging out to avoid a potentially hostile encounter is just fine. And you're wrong. That's not fine. That's despicable. He should be punished for his attempt to escape combat by using a game mechanic that isn't designed as a retreat function that warps you into the void where you're safe.

In a real life scenario, you can't just teleport out of your current plane of existence to safety. 

It's cowardice. 

This was my instant thought aswell.

My first pvp encounter was in a barracks building, and even tho I was bleeding, and I knew the building was going to be stormed, I told myself, "finish this no matter the outcome, don't log".  I died but it was a good death.

• Like 4

a real hero you are...

What exactly do you think the combat log timer is for? This game is based on interaction, whatever kind it be, and combat loggers ruin that interaction by exiting the gameworld. If somebody combat logged on me to avoid interaction, I wont hesitate to kill them. They have to man up and face the situation, even if that means defending yourself with force. Shit I almost never KOS, so the only thing combat logging on me does is guarantee you'll be a fresh spawn. If I find someone who is simply logging off and happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, chances are I won't kill em' - but this has never happened to me.

Edit: In OP's case it's hard to know if the guy was truly combat logging

This was my instant thought aswell.

My first pvp encounter was in a barracks building, and even tho I was bleeding, and I knew the building was going to be stormed, I told myself, "finish this no matter the outcome, don't log".  I died but it was a good death.

Good to hear. You could have bitched out and possibly lived, but you chose an honorable death.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 2

It's cowardice. 

The poster had not even encountered this guy in any kind of fighting situation this is NOT a combat logger. Theres a big difference considering this guy was not even chasing or fighting him throughout this whole post. By this standard it gives you an EASY fucking excuse to use KOS to get away with something.

And this is NOT real life its a fucking game. If this game were real there would be allot more variables beyond what the game is capable of providing to even simulate it.

I should punish you for being a dictator of how to tell others how to play the game.

• Like 7

It's cowardice. 

Couldn't agree with you anymore man

Combat loggers must be killed       ..Always.

Just wondering there, if you happen to find someone logging out, would it work if you injected him with something, fed him worms, bleach etc. before he disappeared and when he came back into another server if he would be sick and poisoned? interesting idea

But combat loggers need to be killed, complete cowardice, dayz is about the encounters we have, not about how much we look like a soldier and how we have such a great gun.

• Like 2

The poster had not even encountered this guy in any kind of fighting situation this is NOT a combat logger. Theres a big difference considering this guy was not even chasing or fighting him throughout this whole post. By this standard it gives you an EASY fucking excuse to use KOS to get away with something.

And this is NOT real life its a fucking game. If this game were real there would be allot more variables beyond what the game is capable of providing to even simulate it.

I should punish you for being a dictator of how to tell others how to play the game.

That is adorable. He encounters the guy logging out next to high-value loot location, fully kitted out. If he isn't combat logging to protect himself, he is probably server-hopping. (the police station is only 30 seconds away, and only idiots server-hop inside a high-traffic location)

Get off your high horse, and realize that the only way to stop players from validating their incorrect playstyles is to punish them. In-game, the only real punishment is death, and the associated loss of gear. Server-hopping, combat-logging, and ghosters all deserve to die, over and over again.

• Like 9

This...

this is why I posted to the forums, I will always kill a combat logger no matter what... but I felt conflicted on this kill.

he wasn't in direct confrontation with me, but he also denied me of an experience with him in what I feel is how the game should be played.

How do you know he was combat logging? Perhaps he had been called away (phone, wife, kids...when duty calls, the responsible answer).

I get called away quite often and leave my self vulnerable.  If I know it will be an extended departure, I log out.  If I get held up longer than expected, I'll often come back to the computer long enough to just log out (completely unaware of what is going on around me).

Back in the early days of fps's (when sportsmanship wasn't just a fantasy), we'd leave players crouched in corners or obviously afk and move on. 

(I'm sure that'll bring a chuckle or two)

• Like 6

I mean all of that to say, hey I killed someone ? 

Because realistically that is all that happened... anything else and you're assuming too much. 

Now if you're excited, great.. but lets not get all caught up in heroism because someone was logging in from what may have been a server crash or he was caught the last time he played in a reset, or you just didnt see him run in there and was crouched looking at his loot, etc.. 

• Like 5

How do you know he was combat logging? Perhaps he had been called away (phone, wife, kids...when duty calls, the responsible answer).

I get called away quite often and leave my self vulnerable.  If I know it will be an extended departure, I log out.  If I get held up longer than expected, I'll often come back to the computer long enough to just log out (completely unaware of what is going on around me).

Back in the early days of fps's (when sportsmanship wasn't just a fantasy), we'd leave players crouched in corners or obviously afk and move on. 

The fact that he was fully kitted out with military gear, on a nightime (read: empty/low population 99% of the time) server, right next to a high-value loot location, just SCREAMS server-hopper.  And I've seen pretty-kitted-out guys log to avoid their stuff getting damaged in combat.

Did I see it a lot? No, but I saw it.

• Like 1

That is adorable. He encounters the guy logging out next to high-value loot location, fully kitted out. If he isn't combat logging to protect himself, he is probably server-hopping. (the police station is only 30 seconds away, and only idiots server-hop inside a high-traffic location)

Get off your high horse, and realize that the only way to stop players from validating their incorrect playstyles is to punish them. In-game, the only real punishment is death, and the associated loss of gear. Server-hopping, combat-logging, and ghosters all deserve to die, over and over again.

Let ppl do what they want. They should not need your approval on how to play the game they do as they will anyways.

And just because there are ppl that log out in areas like this does not automatically mean there combat logging there are cases iv been booted from servers because of instability issues without warning.

• Like 1

You lack the capacity.

• Like 2

I also have been called away by kids and such, but ive always logged in woods or a brown building.  If it was for something important, then I feel for the guy.

Let ppl do what they want. They should not need your approval on how to play the game they do as they will anyways.

And just because there are ppl that log out in areas like this does not automatically mean there combat logging there are cases iv been booted from servers because of instability issues without warning.

Are you attempting to justify combat-logging and server-hopping as a "let people do what they want!" libertarian fantasy? HAHAHAHA

Those playstyles are detrimental to the game, and are pretty much why we have a respawn timer and "log-out dance". They should, no,  NEED, to be stopped.

• Like 6

I mean all of that to say, hey I killed someone ? 

Because realistically that is all that happened... anything else and you're assuming too much. 

Now if you're excited, great.. but lets not get all caught up in heroism because someone was logging in from what may have been a server crash or he was caught the last time he played in a reset, or you just didnt see him run in there and was crouched looking at his loot, etc.. 

that's not the point of the post rlly.  Its about killing a person in logout, that has had no interaction with you.

You lack the capacity.

I have all the capacity i just dont feel like hunting some self righteous game player that deems everyone guilty they see that logs out of the game.

Are you attempting to justify combat-logging and server-hopping as a "let people do what they want!" libertarian fantasy? HAHAHAHA

Those playstyles are detrimental to the game, and are pretty much why we have a respawn timer and "log-out dance". They should, no,  NEED, to be stopped.

Those players will get caught anyways if your that worried about it.

But you seem to really want ppl to play your way or the highway half of the time anyways it seems. At least by most of the comments you'v made.

I fail to see how he was a combat logger, it sounds like he didn't even know you were there. Sometimes I have to log in bad spots because I need to go help family or the girlfriend with something. I've even had people find me right as I'm about to log out that I didn't even know were in the same area as me, so I don't really feel like he was combat logging.

He might have been server hopping, but I'm not of those people who will sit there and scream about how they're ruining the game. If that's what they want to do then who cares, you can't stop it and it seems like the game will only become more dependent on it.

• Like 3

I fail to see how he was a combat logger, it sounds like he didn't even know you were there. Sometimes I have to log in bad spots because I need to go help family or the girlfriend with something. I've even had people find me right as I'm about to log out that I didn't even know were in the same area as me, so I don't really feel like he was combat logging.

He might have been server hopping, but I'm not of those people who will sit there and scream about how they're ruining the game. If that's what they want to do then who cares, you can't stop it and it seems like the game will only become more dependent on it.

And lets not forget server hopping WILL become valid for finding vehicle parts and other assorted items for things we need in game. So if you guys hate server hoppers and combat loggers just wait till car parts start getting scattered across servers.

If you catch them logging out for that specific reason...then KILL 'EM ALL. They don't deserver the Chernarrusian air that's rightfully ours. You did an excellent job, good sir.  :beans:

• Like 2

Those players will get caught anyways if your that worried about it.

But you seem to really want ppl to play your way or the highway half of the time anyways it seems. At least by most of the comments you'v made.

It is pretty much a community guide to a perfect world. Which I personally think is great and gets the job done