zombieland78

I get the impression that the DayZ community isn't into zombies

It seems that just about everywhere I look these days I'm getting the impression the DayZ community would rather the whole game just be called Day.

I've been out of the mod world for 6 months after the gamespy problem and upon returning yesterday I found that a lot of servers had a new thing called 'slow zombies'. Which is just a convoluted way of making zombies irrelevant. And the overall vibe I get from players is that zombies are just a pain and they'd much rather indulge in the military aspect of the game.

The majority of people don't want any kind of night time play either. I find that baffling too. It's rare to find a server that has any night at all.

Overall, the impression is that people just want to plug in, and shoot each other.

Now, that is fine, but surely go elsewhere for it!? or find an arma military mod or something? it would be good to see a mod that took care of that area so there could be some separation - they could get their military fix and the zombie fans could get their zombie fix.

Anyone else feel that zombies (including Standalone) are just poorly represented? Also, would it be good to see zombies focused on even more, with the occasional swarms/hoards as seen in dead rising 3? (not that that's possible yet, but in theory).

• Like 3

I fantasise daily about my own SA mod.

In it, there's snow (and seasons) and hoards and the necessity for sleep. Oh how I dream.

Also some of these servers are giving free stuff away to groups that join their server. It's not DayZ, it's something else.

They are all running a race that no one can/will win in my opinion. It's kind of funny though that no one of them realize that.

You should check out vanilla DayZ Mod! It's still being updated and the zombies cant be ignored.

Cheers

Edited by vinyljunkie
  • Like 2

Yeah, I feel that people just want to push a big red button that says 'make me win now'. Or a button that says 'EASY MODE'.

I hate the vanilla mod though. I live for a little base with my stuff in it. That's one area where I'd love to see more expansion. Furniture for one... customisation... keeping zombies out. It's never been properly implemented.

Totally agree with you.

Most players looking for overpoch servers with traders, +10000 vehicles, autorefuel, Jets, Tanks, Milichoppers, deployable bike on spawn (seriously?!), high Calibre Weapons, Weaponsie around every corner , God mode on locked vehicles and around their Bases, do not forget about the safezones around traders. The whole mod becomes too much militarized.

Most of them do not care about the zombies and want the whole game as easy as possible and when they die it's because of a bug or hacker nothing else.

Every time there is a script published to make the life easier on a Server you will find it a few days on 95% on the fancy unique high loot servers, e.g. Single Currency with banking or like you've mentioned the slow Zeds.

As an Admin I miss players which like to play DayZ as an survival mod and not some Arma wasteland decorated with zombies.

But I also need to say that there is a little wave of server owners which try to bring DayZ back, not like the original, but with their own ideas and not so dump like the overpoch servers.

I just hope there become more players which like to play DayZ as an challange and not a copy of CoD with walking Zombies.

• Like 2

Our only hope is to wait for a mod for SA that will ACTUALLY be about the zombie experience. Coz the entire community is pretty much anti zombie right now.

How many times do you hear people in videos say, in a tired voice "ugh, fuckin' zombies." 

And like I say, no one wants to play at night. I went on a mod server the other day and asked about night. The admin said that he checked out the stats and no one played when it was dark, so he opted against having nights. 

How did this happen?

Also some of these servers are giving free stuff away to groups that join their server. It's not DayZ, it's something else.

They are all running a race that no one can/will win in my opinion. It's kind of funny though that no one of them realize that.

You should check out vanilla DayZ Mod! It's still being updated and the zombies cant be ignored.

Cheers

We've created a niche for ourselves by staying true to form.   :)  Sometimes sticking to your guns and not pandering to the masses works out.  

• Like 3

We don't like the zombies in Dayz because they are quite honestly shit, if they manage to fix them then it'll be good.

Dayz is pretty awesome with zombies that work properly... like the ones 2-3 years ago... not these ones that hear suppressed weapons, one shot you as they please, and generally get in the way of a good firefight.

I for one would be all over a well populated, dayz with no zombies that was persistant - that is, you log out and back in with the same gear in the same health in the same place.

Everyone says "oh you don't want zombies you have wasteland" well wasteland is NOT persistant!

I feel many people want that military wasteland experience. Like some kind of post-apocalyptic scenario where you live and fight.

"Open world mil-sim with survival aspects". Zombies are not necessary.

For people who really want DayZ with capital Z:

It's very difficult to create good zombies. That starts with their general behaviour. If they are fast and follow you forever, you

have to lose them in buildings (because they have to walk indoors which is just extremely stupid in general, it cannot get more unrealistic).

Also, you cannot sneak around them if they notice you immediatly.

At the moment there is little space for a good zombie feeling. Either it's a running simulator, or they are irrelevant.

IMO there have to be LOTS of zeds, with high damage, and I prefer them NOT running at all.

So that you really have to use tricks and your surrounding landscape/loot to survive.

I've yet to see a plausible zombie behaviour besides the one on FinalDayZ.

• Like 1

We need more zombies. I bought this game for that. I wanted to be able to kill zomibes, bad guys and whatever tries to attack me. The zombies are what make the game a really good experience when exploring the world. So, I would really love to see more zombie involvement.

• Like 1

Well said metalxtongue. dangerous zeds make the game, not break it. After a long break I am ready to delve back into Dayz vanilla mod after test driving SA again the other day, and although its coming along nicely vanilla still rules for the ultimate zed survival experience.

I just wish that the original vanilla mod had more change of clothes options, would be nice not to see me wearing a baseball cap and cargo pants for once!

Edited by Jock McScottish

I really don't know where you guys keep getting zombie from, DayZ has never had any zombies they are infected humans the survivors (you) are immune to the infection.

this rules out AI being slow, walking like zombies, players playing as zeds when you die,survivors walking around as zeds.

DayZ has never been about zombies.

• Like 1

THIS is the kind of remark that makes me laugh.

There's only 4 fucking letters in the title of this game, and one of them is 'Z'. 

The devs recently announced: 2015, the year we put the Z back into DayZ.

Get over it, you're playing a game that has zombies in it. Unless all this time you've been playing arma and thinking it's DayZ?

"Infected humans" who have no goal other than brainlessly melee-attacking non-infected humans to kill&eat them while ignoring wounds and making disturbing noises...

...well you might as well call them zombies because they are exactly that: zombies.

It's not DayIH after all, it's DayZ.

The question is, and it is a very important question, how should they behave to MATTER is this universe. Zeds should be the main threat in this postapocalyptic world,

while (of course) the remaining humans can (and must) decide between hero and bandit, sometimes only for a certain situation.

But your daily survival has to be all about avoiding and fighting zombies.

Not just looting around them, running past them, shaking them off by running straight through a house (because they derp indoors), seeing them as a nuisance.

It should NOT be PvP with zeds, but survival in a zombie apocalypse with multiplayer aspects. Especially that you have to work together to survive.

I think vanilla at the moment does quite a good job already. Especially if you come back from other sub-mods.

This is important to me because I myself went off for fun&games in Overpoch and came back, because it wasn't DayZ anymore, but "Open world Arma with food".

BUT: can't we make it even better? more frightening? more realistic? more "omfg zombies!! sh*t I don't wanna die!!" ?

As I was new to DayZ over a year ago, I was being told: See, these are the zombies, they hurt you a bit sometimes, just run around them or hide in a pinetree. If they annoy you just go inside. I was like, ok, sounds simple... and it was. That changed, for me vanilla servers became much harder (thank god, it's not soviet GTA or Battlefield:Cherno)

Basically, the zeds have to be so hard, that you HAVE TO work together with other players to gear up and settle down.

Just my 2 cents of course, but I think the pure milsim without real zed threat belongs to submods.

THIS is the kind of remark that makes me laugh.

There's only 4 fucking letters in the title of this game, and one of them is 'Z'. 

The devs recently announced: 2015, the year we put the Z back into DayZ.

Get over it, you're playing a game that has zombies in it. Unless all this time you've been playing arma and thinking it's DayZ?

Only the players have registered z = zombie when the hole story of dayz is finally released you might get what it stands for. But seems the original topic is asking for a few items here's the answer for the mod.

Swarms maybe if the engine can handle it but don't count on it.

Hordes wont happen. 

Spawning as zeds, Once a player is dead he is dead you wont be reanimated.

As for the AI being poorly represented as zombies at least we got that bit correct.

cheers.

I really don't know where you guys keep getting zombie from, DayZ has never had any zombies they are infected humans the survivors (you) are immune to the infection.

this rules out AI being slow, walking like zombies, players playing as zeds when you die,survivors walking around as zeds.

DayZ has never been about zombies.

Then: https://web.archive.org/web/20120831050156/http://dayzmod.com/?About

Now: http://dayzmod.com/

The DayZ mod site has used the term "zombie" since the beginning and the current DayZ game site also uses the term "zombie". I think this is where the players get "zombie" from. If these creatures aren't zombies that's fine but I hope you can see why people would think they are.

Then: https://web.archive.org/web/20120831050156/http://dayzmod.com/?About

Now: http://dayzmod.com/

The DayZ mod site has used the term "zombie" since the beginning and the current DayZ game site also uses the term "zombie". I think this is where the players get "zombie" from. If these creatures aren't zombies that's fine but I hope you can see why people would think they are.

LoL yep, I can only correct you and say there not Zombies whether you agree or not is upto you guys.

If I remember right it is only eastern and western cultures that see zombies as being dead, for others it means a being not under their own control.

I've been playing the mod since the early days and I remember the last time they set the infection free. I see R4ZOR49's added it back in the latest patch notes.

I wish luck with your battles with the infected by I think your fighting the wrong threat.

Here is a YouTube video where Dean Hall clarifies quite clearly that: "DayZ is an open world zombie infested wasteland, where there are no rules." YouTube VIDEO

In response to walkers; zombies walk, they do not run. The biggest threat to survivors is not zombies, it is staying alive without the support of modern society(starvation, disease, hypothermia, injury etc). The zombies reinforce the notion that the world we knew has ended, and that we have to try and survive by our own merits.

The vast majority of players/servers want gun collecting, shopping and pink tanks. They are not playing DayZ. They cater to the masses by providing a pathetically easy version of Arma II with zombies, a play-pit for pop culture.

• If you want an authentic experience then you should consider: Europa Vanilla DayZ.(The biggest vanilla DayZmod server in Europe).
  • If you want a hardcore experience then you should consider: FINALdayZ Hardcore Survival Epoch.(Deepest darkest coldest nights and zombie hoards included)​.

​Don't give up on DayZ just yet. The core players are still here consistently fighting the swarm of military wannabes who've hijacked our beloved game. We are DayZ.

​Stay ALIVE!

sAr6yF0.jpg

Edited by Cartoonrboy

And like I say, no one wants to play at night. I went on a mod server the other day and asked about night. The admin said that he checked out the stats and no one played when it was dark, so he opted against having nights.

All my players prefer the night. As they play across multiple time-zones they fight to have the server time shifted so they get more night, not day. How refreshing is that?

Edited by Cartoonrboy

All my players prefer the night. As they play across multiple time-zones they fight to have the server time shifted so they get more night, not day. How refreshing is that?

Cool, sounds like a good server. Care to let me know how to find it?

IP: 198.15.113.90:2412

I have created a batch file so players can join quickly and easily from their desktop. Goto: FINALdayZsurvivor.enjin.com where you'll find instructions on how to use it. As the server uses some of Namalsk's features; DayZcommander and/or launcher sometimes fail to load the correct files. The batch file removes this problem.

For details on the server features; click on my signature.