Sign in to follow this  
therandomredstone

A New Breed of People

In DayZ there are quite a few different play styles. Unless you are a crazy good woodsman who can just live off animal meat and snipe zombies as targets, you are the type of survivor that sooner or later HAS to step food into a town. I think I player should be able to go in the woods with nothing but maybe a improvised courier bag, and after an hour or two have an entire camp set up. How would this be accomplished? Easy. Here are a few things to start with:

-The ability to make improvised tents. If you could go in the woods, after making a few tools and stuff you could use a BUNCH of long sticks, leaves and brush and you could make an improvised tent. It would be used for keeping you warm in the cold DayZ nights, and maybe even their could be a little door that you have to crawl out of.

-Start fires without needing an axe or matches- It would be quite hard but you could get sticks from bushes and mix them with maybe rags or a type of leave to make the fireplace kit, and you could use to flint stones to "spark a fire" but it would take from 1 to 20 hits to get it started.

-Killer Sticks. You could use a sharp rock (that you would have to find) and you would sit there and sharpen a stick and eventually have a stick equivalent to a sharp-shanking baseball bat. could be used to hunt animal.

-I am one with tha bush. If you go in the woods with a tee shirt and pants, you would have to modify your clothes for camo and stuff. You could put grass over you, have a makeshift camo, you could cut off the bottom leggings part from your pants and put them on your knees for support.

(irrelevant suggestion) To make the tents actually keep you warm, nighttime in DayZ should be SUPER COLD. Because, c'mon, its Russia for Christ sakes. It gets cold.

(Adding onto the last suggestion) If you made nighttime super cold in DayZ, then what about those people who aren't in super cozy invisible awesome safety tents? well it'll tell you! they should be able to wear layered clothing.... ._. You could have a green T-Shirt, with a "red checked shirt" that could kind of be a flannel, and then you could wear a Down Jacket! Now you tell me that wouldn't be warm! Because in DayZ, if you have two t shirts and a down jacket and you are freezing your ASS off at night with only the down jacket, it would only make sense to put on the two extra T-Shirts you have with you!

.51 was recently released, .52 is ways away. Things like this could easily be in the game. Well... all of the suggestions except for the last two will take awhile before they are ever added in, but the layered clothes and the cold nights should be added in the next stable. (.52)

I'd say the climate is closer to Czech Republic. Also, Russia can get to 90 degrees Fahrenheit on a not too rare basis. If it's winter on the other hand...

• Like 1

Whell, Even if this was implemented I would stil probably aimlessly run from town to town

• Like 1

In DayZ there are quite a few different play styles. Unless you are a crazy good woodsman who can just live off animal meat and snipe zombies as targets, you are the type of survivor that sooner or later HAS to step food into a town. I think I player should be able to go in the woods with nothing but maybe a improvised courier bag, and after an hour or two have an entire camp set up.

Why does everything have to be easy? Dayz should be brutal .... Also, it's perfectly possible to get out of town with basic loot (machete and a rope) into the woods and live. 

I'd like more survival features, but the focus of the dev team should be not solely on very detailed survival aspects.

Why does everything have to be easy? Dayz should be brutal .... Also, it's perfectly possible to get out of town with basic loot (machete and a rope) into the woods and live. 

I'd like more survival features, but the focus of the dev team should be not solely on very detailed survival aspects.

I agree with your bolded part. An hour or two is far too easy imo.

I watch a few survival shows and it can take days to weeks to get to the point where you can locate safe areas and forage enough to call yourself comfortably living.

I like the idea, though.

I still like the idea that there will be several camps out in the woods, and when you need stuff, you can run over and borrow things from fellow hermits. And work together to defend the area from bandits.

if you read carefully at the end I ended up saying that the devs should not have to worry about these things until way in the future. Read before you speak.

Whell, Even if this was implemented I would stil probably aimlessly run from town to town

because that's your playstyle, and that's fine.

I've spent almost 2 weeks not entering a town. I've watched them from a distance but all my food and water has come from the rural resources. The problem I find is more one of shelter, without being able to craft one out of wood and leaves you are really at the mercy of the elements. 

I've spent almost 2 weeks not entering a town. I've watched them from a distance but all my food and water has come from the rural resources. The problem I find is more one of shelter, without being able to craft one out of wood and leaves you are really at the mercy of the elements. 

Yeah.

I could even go for a Forest kind of thing, like walking back and forth gathering logs. I am down for the work it would take to make it happen. The balancing risk would be that one could look for a clearing in the forest and know that someone had been around. So it means I might have to go further and pick a distant spot for gathering. I am okay with that.

I just run trough cities searching for a weapon, some tools and ammo...then I head to the woods, set a tent, make a fireplace, place some snare traps and hunt around (I like to grab a Mosin to snipe zombies). I don't kill humans unless they're bandits.