Adams (DayZ)

Trading posts/NPC (guards) Hear me out. Thoughts?

So I've seen a lot of posts complaining about the KoS mentality. I think there are some suggestions I could make as a lifelong gamer and fan of this genre (open world freedom) I'll number this list because that makes it alot easier to read.

1. Create small trading posts with relative safety. I.E NPC guards. This would automatically create a place where people could have a small sense of security and possibly meet other survivors they would otherwise kill or be shot by. Maybe they could be faction controlled? Conversation is a great deterrent for murder. I understand this could create a place where bandits could camp outside and basically potshot guards/players.

Which brings me to my next suggestion...

2. Bounties on bandits. They could be player posted, of course there would have to be something monetary for the incentive. Or maybe the incentive is just killing the bandit. Maybe a message could display after the bandit is killed.

3. Karma system for players. Karma system going into the negatives would prevent bandits from having access to cities. By access I mean not being shot on sight by NPC guards.

4. Makeshift player housing. A place to store gear and supplies.

I know everyone feels like their ideas are golden, but even these four suggestions I think would create a better dynamic for pvp than is currently available. Hopefully this post doesn't get buried.

• Like 1

So basically you want Epoch from the mod? A lot of what you're suggesting about trade is possible already without the need for NPCs.

• Like 4

The DEVs already said they will not include any NPCs in DayZ (I dont know if this is still their goal, but it seems pretty legit to me).

Sorry that your idea gets shot down so fast, but it just does not really fit to the setting the DEVs are trying to build.

For your suggestion #4:

That's already in the works with persistence in general, and with tents in specific.

but even these four suggestions I think would create a better dynamic for pvp than is currently available. 

but DayZ is NOT about "pure" PvP.

It's about survival in the apocalypse. Of course player-interaction is the MAIN-focus of the game, but PvP only a version of many other interactions.

Edited by irishroy

No thanks. Organise guards and secure trading spots yourself; that's half the fun of trading!

• Like 3

No thanks. Organise guards and secure trading spots yourself; that's half the fun of trading!

It is kind of funny when you think about it. I actually kind of based my idea around Ultima Online, which was the first game I played that high high level freedom and the ability to kill anyone on sight and take their gear. Even with cities and guards people complained enough that eventually they added a non-pvp facet on every server. I have high hopes for the game, but money sometimes trumps originality. I'd personally rather see these changes than logging on 6 years from now and every server says "Tactical crouch, friendly only, KoS will be perma banned." Without small compromises this is what I see. I could be completely wrong though :(

It is kind of funny when you think about it. I actually kind of based my idea around Ultima Online, which was the first game I played that high high level freedom and the ability to kill anyone on sight and take their gear. Even with cities and guards people complained enough that eventually they added a non-pvp facet on every server. I have high hopes for the game, but money sometimes trumps originality. I'd personally rather see these changes than logging on 6 years from now and every server says "Tactical crouch, friendly only, KoS will be perma banned." Without small compromises this is what I see. I could be completely wrong though :(

i see your point i never bother to trade and i don't see there ever being so-called bounty hunters hell you never know the guys name especially on public servers there is no reputation to be lost or gained which if you lived somewhere and this shit happened folks would know you and unless your an asshat wouldn't KOS and the ones that would would last 2 seconds where i live atleast these thug ass criminal types would be first to go there would be no bandits because we would hang all of them in the town squarte and dare someone to fuck with our communty and folks would probably trade and help one another. but in this game where everyone is anonymous and jumps from server to server and there are no name tags no reputation no wonder everyone is an asshat and just kill each other. private servers are nice but the bullshit you have to go through to play on one get whitelisted talk to the admin in the TS like i'm getting a fucking job or something is ridiculous but understandable. i could see one day there being strict rules on servers such as perma ban KOS or PVE etc hell thats the only way you can get any kind of interaction longer than 2 seconds in and it gets boring too as the zeds are no threat to anyone except my coat and my pants. in 6 years haha i can see alot of different servers but i'm sure a mod will come along and change everything and dayz vanilla will go the way the mod did when epoch hit. but we'll have to see i'm sure i'm wrong but just coming from a common observation of this moment in time. and by the way if they added NPC's i wouldn't care if they added trade zones i wouldn't care i just wanna play and have fun and not get bored which i am as the game stands now.

• Like 1

i see your point i never bother to trade and i don't see there ever being so-called bounty hunters hell you never know the guys name especially on public servers there is no reputation to be lost or gained which if you lived somewhere and this shit happened folks would know you and unless your an asshat wouldn't KOS and the ones that would would last 2 seconds where i live atleast these thug ass criminal types would be first to go there would be no bandits because we would hang all of them in the town squarte and dare someone to fuck with our communty and folks would probably trade and help one another. but in this game where everyone is anonymous and jumps from server to server and there are no name tags no reputation no wonder everyone is an asshat and just kill each other. private servers are nice but the bullshit you have to go through to play on one get whitelisted talk to the admin in the TS like i'm getting a fucking job or something is ridiculous but understandable. i could see one day there being strict rules on servers such as perma ban KOS or PVE etc hell thats the only way you can get any kind of interaction longer than 2 seconds in and it gets boring too as the zeds are no threat to anyone except my coat and my pants. in 6 years haha i can see alot of different servers but i'm sure a mod will come along and change everything and dayz vanilla will go the way the mod did when epoch hit. but we'll have to see i'm sure i'm wrong but just coming from a common observation of this moment in time. and by the way if they added NPC's i wouldn't care if they added trade zones i wouldn't care i just wanna play and have fun and not get bored which i am as the game stands now.

That's my point. I'm looking at the big picture. I almost feel it would be necessary, at least partially necessary. Look at how many people complain about KoS. I shoot as soon as I see another person. I will never make any attempt to interact with anyone, because killing an actual living, thinking person, will always trump killing an NPC. If it stayed this way, you'll just see the servers eventually devolving into anti-pvp. Take World at War for instance. Totally different games I know, but try to find an active server with active admins where there aren't ridiculous rules set in place, i.e tactical crouch. I'm not talking about making things easier only more accessible to new players, bad players, and hero mindset types.

Edited: Typos

Edited by Adams

The developers already said "no NPCs". You know... besides zombies, deer, bears, etc. No NPCs that would actually do something to make the game less of a deathmatch.

IMO, they just need to add a party option with ff:off for private shards so we can do this ourselves. As of right now, with the horrible desync/lag problems you are more likely to shoot one of your teammates than the hacker that is running through you group at high speeds...

they just need to add a party option with ff:off for private shards so we can do this ourselves.

As the devil's advocate. Why stop there? It most certainly won't stop there. As much whining as I see on the forums, it seems like the vocal majority hate PvP. Or at least they hate PvP when they are on the receiving end. This has happened to many many many games in the past. They start off hardcore, then eventually start catering to a more casual mindset.

I love PvP. I think the way it is now is fun, but it's only alpha, who knows what the future may bring. My opinion I truly believe will be the minority when this game is released, if none of what I said is halfway implemented. Other games have used that formula and been successful. Every game that has been this unforgiving, I feel that numbers don't lie. It's more than anecdotal evidence. Look at games of the past, original MMO's with high risk/reward systems for example.

Any game developer will go the money route before they cater to a minority, and let's face it, a game with this high of a risk VS reward will scare off casual players in the long run. Once again I think the game is fun, but adding these things I mentioned would level things out a bit imo, and also make them less stale. Otherwise in 4 years, you'll only see campers/clans/nolifers playing. Which would ultimately lead to servers with stupid rules applied that are anti-pvp. We've all seen it before.

As the devil's advocate. Why stop there? It most certainly won't stop there. As much whining as I see on the forums, it seems like the vocal majority hate PvP. Or at least they hate PvP when they are on the receiving end. This has happened to many many many games in the past. They start off hardcore, then eventually start catering to a more casual mindset.

I love PvP. I think the way it is now is fun, but it's only alpha, who knows what the future may bring. My opinion I truly believe will be the minority when this game is released, if none of what I said is halfway implemented. Other games have used that formula and been successful. Every game that has been this unforgiving, I feel that numbers don't lie. It's more than anecdotal evidence. Look at games of the past, original MMO's with high risk/reward systems for example.

Any game developer will go the money route before they cater to a minority, and let's face it, a game with this high of a risk VS reward will scare off casual players in the long run. Once again I think the game is fun, but adding these things I mentioned would level things out a bit imo, and also make them less stale. Otherwise in 4 years, you'll only see campers/clans/nolifers playing. Which would ultimately lead to servers with stupid rules applied that are anti-pvp. We've all seen it before.

Dude. You are preaching to the choir. :)

I feel DayZ needs improved social game mechanics so social interaction is possible. I have been begging for this since SA was released. You only have to look @ Mod to see what SA will become if nothing is done. All griefers, hackers, campers and clans playing on private servers. Mod is not fun as a solo player. Neither is SA at the moment.

Edited by scriptfactory

I would never want NPC's other than zombies in any shape or form.  I do however love the trading post/zone sort of thing but I would want it to be 100% player controlled, ran and built. Like for example go to one of the castles, close off as many gaps as possible once building and what not is in and set up a trade hub. You would have good line of sight, a well defensible position and could have a sort of little tent city going on inside where you could trade, safely log, a possible make shift hospital, a mechanic for vehicles etc all player run. Just have it to where weapons are confiscated by the guards and kept in a safe place like the keep until they leave. The guards would keep watch and keep the peace and it would also give bandits an interesting thing to try to raid and giving them the ability to ambush player caravans and giving people the ability to protect players heading to trade and so on. The possibilities are pretty damn endless with they deliver on the final game. I would much rather have players set something up than have a "safe zone with NPC's.

Edited by Sirwarriant12

I ran in to some random schmuck in Cherno. He dropped his weapon and I had a clean shot to blast him in half with my shotgun. I elected to not take it and tell him to go away, he kept following me. Then he pulled out a sledgehammer and caved my head in. Last time I ever give someone a chance to live for awhile, back to just shooting everyone I don't know.

How is this relevant to the suggestion? Well it's the DayZ experience, you're certainly not the first to suggest NPCs and you won't be the last that the entire community shoots down. Sorry m80, I think you picked the wrong video game.