SMoss

One Year of DayZ

Celebrating DayZ’s official release on 16th December last year, Bohemia Interactive have released a special anniversary video on DayZ's official YouTube channel. The video provides a unique insight into the some of the challenges DayZ faced throughout its development, and what DayZ means to members of the development team.

The standalone version was officially released using Steam's Early Access program, on December 16th 2013, very early on in its development cycle. Since then the DayZ development team has continued developing the game with a continuous flow of updates, including new weapons, new items, diseases, harvest-able resources, private shards, persistent objects, initial vehicle testing, and various platform improvements.

Over the next 12 months, the team will be looking to expand the options for basic ground transportation, aerial transport, expanding on basic survival features, such as animal predators and traps. On top of these the DayZ team is implementing an improved rendering engine, which will expand upon the graphical fidelity and depth in game.

Since the DayZ team released into Early Access 12 months ago, the team has grown significantly, David Durcak the new Project Lead on DayZ stated:

Firstly I'd like to thank Dean Hall for leading the team for the past two years and I wish him the best with his new studio. The growth of the DayZ team over the past 12 months will be integral to the prolonged success of the game. With the additional team members we hope that throughout the upcoming year we will be able to create more content and a deeper experience for the DayZ audience. Plus it will also allow us to improve technology for the standalone and polish the features we have. All in all, it is our goal to create the best experience we can, in terms of frame rate, visual quality and the overall gameplay.”

First Quarter
  • Basic vehicles
  • Advanced loot distribution
  • New renderer
  • New Infected AI
  • Basic stealth system (infected and animals)
  • Diseases
  • Improved cooking and horticulture
  • Advanced anti-hack system (Dynamic BattlEye)

Second Quarter

• Advanced vehicles (repair and modifications)
  • Advanced animals (life cycle, group behaviour)
  • Player statistics
  • New UI
  • Player stamina
  • Dynamic events
  • World containers
  • New physics system

Third Quarter

• Traps
  • Barricading
  • Character life span + soft skills
  • Animal predators + birds
  • Aerial transport
  • Console prototype
  • Advanced communication

Fourth Quarter

• Animal companions
  • Steam community integration
  • Construction (base building)
  • Beta version

To join the survivors in Chernarus, you can purchase DayZ (27.99 EUR/34,99 USD) from Steam and Store.bistudio.com. As development progresses the price of DayZ will increase

For more information, please visit http://www.dayz.com and/or follow DayZ on FacebookTwitter and YouTube.

• Like 9

holy mother of chernarus..this is going to be a long year for Dayz... ill be rooting you on every step of the way! GO DAYZ!!!

World containers woo!

Soft skills. Sounds interesting. I really like the idea of small skills.

world containers and stamina  :)

and please Santa ( Senchi) bring back the old Zelenogorsk supermarket including the big parking area   :P  

• Like 3

So base building won't be implemented until the last quarter of 2015 or is that when it'll be finalized? For some reason I feel as if it won't be put in until the very last portion of 2015, and with a 2016 first quarter release date planned that seems like it's pushing it.

Can't wait for the next year to be done ,'dayz will r game of the millennium! :) the next three months should be interesting ...

Can't wait for the next year to be done ,'dayz will r game of the millennium! :) the next three months should be interesting ...

I think it's the second quarter I'm most looking forward to. By then, the new renderer will have been implemented and between that and a new physics engine, I'm hoping we'll see some improvements in the weather system.

I demand to know who was responsible for the sentimental background music: it sounds like a fucking Werther's Originals advert. They must be PUNISHED.

[Looking forward to 2015!]

I just hope advanced communication consists of megaphones and graffiti. 

I was thinking this very thing lol

I also hope that people can eventually take control of the Green Mtn. radio tower & broadcast signals & what not.

What are world containers?

Openable refrigerators, wardrobes etc. that could contain items in them.

• Like 1

What are world containers?

Openable refrigerators, wardrobes etc. that could contain items in them.

Rocket actually showed of a prototype in a devblog all the way back in Feb. Dunno if there were issues or they were waiting on the new renderer or just a low priority but it should give you a good idea. Here's a link to the part where it was talked about.

• Like 2

Thank you devs for realeasing this wonderful Game as Early Access, i ´ve played it since Release and it got better and better every Month.

Im excited for the things which will come but for now its already the best and most intensive Game i´ve ever played in ten years of Gaming.

Love you and keep on rocking :thumbsup:

no zombie fix???

What's wrong with them? Other than giving us more zombies, what is it you'd like to see? They work just fine for me, haven't had one glitch through a wall in forever and they seem to recognize the fact that you just wacked em with an axe or sledgehammer. Yes their sight and hearing is a bit touchy but I thought they were only placeholders and the devs are working on distance in which they aggro

I'll believe it when I'll see it.

Half of the listed features were planned for 2014.

• Like 1