Sign in to follow this  
aussieshooter8

Different Ideas to Limit KOS

Limiting KOS

.Make some weapons spawn with a magazine in the weapon (at least a 30% chance, possibly more)

.Make backpacks rare (forces players to utilize the crafting system with burlap sacks and rope.)

.The more equipment you carry the faster you character runs out of stamina (Puffing) and their pace would also be reduced (larger guns = less stamina + slower sprint pace)

eg: -The Longhorn would be much heavier than the Makarov, the double barrel IZH-43 would be heavier than the sawed off version, the Fire axe would be much heavier than the Machete, all while food and medical items remain relatively light.

-Carrying an extra weapon in your hands would also increase your weight dramatically.

Notes on my ideas for these changes:

These ideas are mainly oriented on finding alternate ways of limiting players exposure to weapons which are the main cause of KOS in Dayz.

I feel that completely removing a player's ability to find a weapon to use in self defence takes away from the original appeal the mod brought to the table and it does not stop bandits from eventually finding a gun, it merely prolongs the inevitable. However, I do appreciate the developer's aim to make Dayz a survival oriented game rather than an online deathmatch on a large map. In my opinion limiting the amount of guns in the game is not the answer to KOS and I have brainstormed for a while now and feel like I have an alternate solution with the combination of the ideas above.

By making larger backpacks more rare and encumbering, players can be rewarded for forgoing the luxury of a large backpack with the weight system allowing them to move faster than item hoarders and bandits with fully automatic rifles. 

With smaller backpacks offering better movement players wishing to have better stamina and speed have to decide which is more important, surviving or killing. Guns and ammo, or food and medicine. 

These ideas for changes to the game give benefits to both the bandit and survivor play style, while also allowing for a hybrid between the two, without making one play style more effective than the other.

With these changes, those who prefer the bandit play style can still carry an entire arsenal with them, but will pay the price when it comes to their stamina and speed (Possibly down to 10% less than normal sprint speed) while those who prefer to play as a survivalist can carry the bare minimum and are rewarded for their meagre living in the game with speed and stamina ‌increases (10% more normal sprint speed when completely naked, reduces as you gain loot)

I feel that these changes would prevent player's "find a gun and find someone to kill" mentality and also stop people from hoarding unnecessary items like a second gun, by forcing them to make tough decisions on what to take and what to leave. This is all accomplished without completely removing the ability for a player to be a pack mule.

These are just some ideas I thought would improve the way Dayz plays out. I think that slightly increasing the pace at which the game plays out without sacrificing its unique survival aspect is a good direction for Dayz.

• Like 2

Limiting KOS

.Make some weapons spawn with a magazine in the weapon (at least a 30% chance, possibly more)

.Make backpacks rare (forces players to utilize the crafting system with burlap sacks and rope.)

.The more equipment you carry the faster you character runs out of stamina (Puffing) and their pace would also be reduced (larger guns = less stamina + slower sprint pace)
eg: -The Longhorn would be much heavier than the Makarov, the double barrel IZH-43 would be heavier than the sawed off version, the Fire axe would be much heavier than the Machete, all while food and medical items remain relatively light.
    -Carrying an extra weapon in your hands would also increase your weight dramatically.

Notes on my ideas for these changes:

These ideas are mainly oriented on finding alternate ways of limiting players exposure to weapons which are the main cause of KOS in Dayz.

I feel that completely removing a player's ability to find a weapon to use in self defence takes away from the original appeal the mod brought to the table and it does not stop bandits from eventually finding a gun, it merely prolongs the inevitable. However, I do appreciate the developer's aim to make Dayz a survival oriented game rather than an online deathmatch on a large map. In my opinion limiting the amount of guns in the game is not the answer to KOS and I have brainstormed for a while now and feel like I have an alternate solution with the combination of the ideas above.

By making larger backpacks more rare and encumbering, players can be rewarded for forgoing the luxury of a large backpack with the weight system allowing them to move faster than item hoarders and bandits with fully automatic rifles. 
With smaller backpacks offering better movement players wishing to have better stamina and speed have to decide which is more important, surviving or killing. Guns and ammo, or food and medicine. 

These ideas for changes to the game give benefits to both the bandit and survivor play style, while also allowing for a hybrid between the two, without making one play style more effective than the other.
With these changes, those who prefer the bandit play style can still carry an entire arsenal with them, but will pay the price when it comes to their stamina and speed (Possibly down to 10% less than normal sprint speed) while those who prefer to play as a survivalist can carry the bare minimum and are rewarded for their meagre living in the game with speed and stamina ‌increases (10% more normal sprint speed when completely naked, reduces as you gain loot)

I feel that these changes would prevent player's "find a gun and find someone to kill" mentality and also stop people from hoarding unnecessary items like a second gun, by forcing them to make tough decisions on what to take and what to leave. This is all accomplished without completely removing the ability for a player to be a pack mule.

These are just some ideas I thought would improve the way Dayz plays out. I think that slightly increasing the pace at which the game plays out without sacrificing its unique survival aspect is a good direction for Dayz.

NOTHING will stop KOS. Don't fight it.

• Like 1

I actually like the idea, in the sense that a survivor, once adequately geared, doesn't need to be running around town to town. They could find a circle in the woods somewhere, hopefully (in future) be able to scavenge, forage and craft tools off the land in their near vicinity. So I may be penalized if I'm uselessly hoarding and running around, but if my goal is to set a base and fire, I need to be direct in my travels.

If we could find more items from nature to use for crafting, maybe crafting tents from the land (tree branches) maybe hermit communities could develop. People that live on the outskirts. People who avoid stepping in to the gritty city. Of course there is no guarantee that hermits are nicer, but I would take my chances that I have something that person needs in order to live in the woods LOL

Any KOSer that took the effort to walk way inland to find people in the woods off guard, well imo that person deserves the kill and gear!

Edited by TheHermit

*I wish dayz was like mincraft*

I have some ideas to increase KOS

1. Make your character have a family that cannot afford for you to take the chance that the other person is honest or not

2. Make the player feel pure starvation in real life so as to simulate the desperation one would be overcome with in a real world situation

3. Take the player and kill all his friends in real life so he can stop trusting people.

4. Fully dehydrate the player in real life and put him out in the cold with next to nothing on and have others force feed him disinfectant at gunpoint.

Man I am really tired of people playing a hardcore apocalypse survival simulator and then QQing that we don't all run around like care bears. 

• Like 4

1. Make your character have a family that cannot afford for you to take the chance that the other person is honest or not

2. Make the player feel pure starvation in real life so as to simulate the desperation one would be overcome with in a real world situation

3. Take the player and kill all his friends in real life so he can stop trusting people.

4. Fully dehydrate the player in real life and put him out in the cold with next to nothing on and have others force feed him disinfectant at gunpoint.

Man I am really tired of people playing a hardcore apocalypse survival simulator and then QQing that we don't all run around like care bears. 

Bwahahaha!

You know, there is a system in development that literally drains the blood of gamers as they lose health in the game they're playing.

Now THAT would make DayZ interesting!

• Like 2

You know, there is a system in development that literally drains the blood of gamers as they lose health in the game they're playing.

Now THAT would make DayZ interesting!

Hah no there's not...... :P

source?

Edit: I take that back....that's really disgusting.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1

source?

I'm 99% certain he was being sarcastic

source?

The article: here

The Kickstarter page: here

• Like 2

I'm 99% certain he was being sarcastic

Good thing you didn't bet, eh :P

• Like 1

WIN! WIN! WIN!  :o

This is by far the best idea all day, after this idea gets added I'll have to find a reason to play....allllright! :beans: We can walk around and.....talk to each other..........thats it...

Another win thread ALLLLLRIGHT Keep it up guys were almost there!............ :huh:

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

I don't know why everyone loves promoting all of their ideas as "would reduce KoS."

There are other and far better advantages to a stamina system than just "oh it would make you work together because other peoplez would help carry your stuff." - which isn't even necessarily true, as most people would simply work with friends they already know or find a way to improvise with less rather than changing their entire playstyle to accommodate strangers.

There are a ton of things that could reduce KoS but people really need to stop toting them as the main point for adding these features - it's just like if advertising for alcoholic drinks was "can be used to sterilize wounds" rather than simply promoting it as something for people to drink - it can be used for said purpose but that's beyond the point.

• Like 1

I don't know why everyone loves promoting all of their ideas as "would reduce KoS."

I do agree with you that these ideas are not all directly aimed at combating KOS but I feel that in the long run, players who wish to have the benefits of a higher stamina and faster speed will decide that simply killing someone for their loot isn't the best option.

I just thought that this system in conjunction with more traditional systems would take Dayz players from the deathmatch mindset to the more survival oriented game that it was meant to be. Don't get me wrong I think that Banditry is an integral part of the game. I just think that it is far to prevalent in the game as it is now.

Another idea I had that could possibly be used in conjunction with the stamina/movement speed system is an "Offering System". Basically players can right click on an item which gives them an option to hold it in front of them towards another player. If the other player accepts, maybe the player who offered could get some sort of buff to their character. (Slightly increased blood regen or something)

I understand everyone's differing opinions on whether or not to try and combat KOS, but I want everyone to know that I do not wish to eliminate KOS altogether, I simply want to give players an insentive to interact more with each other without hurting players who still wish to KOS. In my experience, player interaction offers some of the best moments you can have in Dayz.

simply killing someone for their loot 

Thats just the spoils my friend, we KOS to survive.I assume you are a threat as I cannot afford to risk finding out if you really are or not

we KOS to survive.I assume you are a threat as I cannot afford to risk finding out if you really are or not

See, my play style must be very different to yours. If I see another player I will only kill them if they have a gun and are in a high traffic, military loot area or if I know there is a bandit in the area. (Gunshots, bodies, etc)

Otherwise I will tell them to drop their weapons and then I will try to help them and earn their trust. These are my core rules I follow when I play. Sorry if my ideas above contradict your opinions of the future of the game mate, I just thought I would share my opinions with the community. :) 

• Like 1