Sign in to follow this  
anddos

poisioning items

i think it would be good if you could posion food such as pouring chemicals in to a water bottle or in to a needle injection and you would have to inspect and check it to see if another player has put poison in it with some device, obviosuly you will get sick if you drink or get the infection in your blood stream, thoughts?

Right now you can spray disinfectant on raw fruits and veggies.

• Like 1

...why?

Seriously. Why?

What does this add to the game? What purpose does this fulfill? What does this encourage? When you poison or tamper with food, the only thing that will happen is: The next person who eats this will suffer. I won't know who it is or how long it will take, but this will hurt another player at some point.

Poisoning food is little more than a dressed up trap set for other players that is indiscriminate and malicious. It only encourages griefing for griefing's sake, since you won't actually see the effects it causes. You don't get any notification, you don't get points, you don't win the game for killing other players. 

Why would you add such a mechanic into the game that only serves the purposes of harming other players basically at random? DayZ doesn't need any more additions to it that exist for the sole purpose of harming your fellow man. Guns can be used for self defense, killing zombies, hunting, and killing other players. They are as defensive as they are offensive. Poison has one purpose. 

• Like 1

...why?

Seriously. Why?

What does this add to the game? What purpose does this fulfill? What does this encourage? When you poison or tamper with food, the only thing that will happen is: The next person who eats this will suffer. I won't know who it is or how long it will take, but this will hurt another player at some point.

Poisoning food is little more than a dressed up trap set for other players that is indiscriminate and malicious. It only encourages griefing for griefing's sake, since you won't actually see the effects it causes. You don't get any notification, you don't get points, you don't win the game for killing other players. 

Why would you add such a mechanic into the game that only serves the purposes of harming other players basically at random? DayZ doesn't need any more additions to it that exist for the sole purpose of harming your fellow man. Guns can be used for self defense, killing zombies, hunting, and killing other players. They are as defensive as they are offensive. Poison has one purpose.

i see where you are coming from but it might be a bit more elaborate than you think. It could be a ruse. Lull the victim into a false sense of security, offer them the poisoned food and go from there. It might not be as simplistic as you believe.

Since you can already poison some foods, this suggestion is rather pointless.

Though it does have uses...

Keeping poisoned fruit in your inventory in case you're killed or held up by bandits. (If i'm going down, i'm taking you with me.)

Leaving a poisoned fruit/vege in the middle of the road near the coast and waiting (Entertainment value)

A sure-fire way to kill multiple hostile players who haven't seen you yet. (Food on the road)

• Like 1

i see where you are coming from but it might be a bit more elaborate than you think. It could be a ruse. Lull the victim into a false sense of security, offer them the poisoned food and go from there. It might not be as simplistic as you believe.

Giving somebody something poisoned. Very elaborate. So complicated I could barely follow. Just another way to kill other players. This one just takes more time. 

Nobody's going to be stupid enough to eat food that's obviously been moved/tampered with/already opened.   Poison is a tricky subject, because like Rags said, its only purpose is to harm.  I'm almost vehemently against PvP in DayZ, but I think poison would be an interesting addition. I'd be willing to compromise and say lethal poisons should be homemade and difficult to acquire, while easier-to-obtain chemicals (like bleach/disinfectant) would only make someone sick.  As it stands, forcing disinfectant down a victim's throat has the chance to not kill them if they act quick enough.  Likewise, poisonous berries have a similar effect.  Personally, I would only poison my own food to carry it as a 'fuck you' to the guy who shoots me for shooting-me's sake. That's right bitch. Swallow it all.

...why?

Seriously. Why?

Poisoning can be used for self defense as well. It's quiet and allows the poisoner to get far away from his victim in case they have backup. If anything, it is the smart way to kill. 

Nothing you said is any reason to exclude poisoning. You mention guns are used for hunting and killing players, but killing them with poison is a no-no? 

I'd much rather get poisoned by someone who put some effort into killing me, than get shot by some tacticoolboys for the lulz. 

The only counters to this that I can see is that they food must look like it has been tampered with to an extent, Like a small hole where someone jabbed a needle inside or a small cut in the side of a can, Or apply it to food that has already been opened. AND this kinda stuff has to be RARE, Or cost a small fortune in supplies and danger from self-testing to see if the final product works

As rags said Poison is only to cause harm able to used indiscriminatingly against anyone so make it a bitch to obtain.

Ugh, I can't stand people who are like "I am against PvP, stop trying to add more ways for players to kill each other!". It's pathetic. I don't even PvP but I like that I have the option. 

Poisoning food is a good idea. However, players should be able to check food before consuming it by, say, smelling it. If it smells of bleach or something, your character could say "this smells funny" or something along those lines.

• Like 1

Poisoning can be used for self defense as well. It's quiet and allows the poisoner to get far away from his victim in case they have backup. If anything, it is the smart way to kill. 

If another player is so trusting of you that they accept food from you knowing that it could be poisoned and they eat it, then...why exactly are you "defending" yourself from that player?

Poisoning food is a good idea. However, players should be able to check food before consuming it by, say, smelling it. If it smells of bleach or something, your character could say "this smells funny" or something along those lines.

Then everybody will always smell food that any other player gives them every time, which will completely negate the point of it. Whenever a player gives another player good, it will always have to pass the smell check. Why add in something like this when it has a specifically designated command that will completely nullify its effects?

The chance for this to be abused just isn't worth it.

I don't see a valid tradeoff in entertainment value. It's a nice idea, perhaps as a serious role play device, but I can only see folks spending all day poisoning every item they see in game. In a survival scenario, I'm trying to figure if I would spend my time poisoning limited food resources, would I spend time trying to kill people that I have not come across. Why? to protect my territory? If we are role playing terrorists in game, well I guess... but it just isn't something I think I'll laugh about later

"oh hahaha remember the time I ate that apple and died all alone in Dobro oh LOLOL"

If another player is so trusting of you that they accept food from you knowing that it could be poisoned and they eat it, then...why exactly are you "defending" yourself from that player?

Who's talking about giving them food? I'm talking about stalking a guy who tried to kill you, figuring out his path, and poisoning loot along the way in the hopes that he takes the bait.

Who's talking about giving them food? I'm talking about stalking a guy who tried to kill you, figuring out his path, and poisoning loot along the way in the hopes that he takes the bait.

That will never happen.

That will never happen.

I would. Right now my only real options to kill someone are guns or axes. One's too loud, the other's too close. Poison is a more passive, safer way of killing someone. 

I would. Right now my only real options to kill someone are guns or axes. One's too loud, the other's too close. Poison is a more passive, safer way of killing someone. 

You are telling me that surviving an attack, losing him and then finding him again without his knowledge, tracking him down, following him, getting ahead of him, finding an item he will pick up, poisoning it, and then escaping again is a "more passive and safer way of killing somebody"?

Do they have a name for the stuff you're smokin'? 

You are telling me that surviving an attack, losing him and then finding him again without his knowledge, tracking him down, following him, getting ahead of him, finding an item he will pick up, poisoning it, and then escaping again is a "more passive and safer way of killing somebody"?

Do they have a name for the stuff you're smokin'? 

It is, compared to gunfights and melee combat. I could've pulled it off this week with relative ease in Severograd.

And yes. Amnesia Haze.

Think about it, if you found an enemy base poison their food supply awesome.

Well in 0.53 you can apparently fill Water Bottles and Canteens with Gasoline. Unless you "check" said item first before drinking I'm pretty sure your gonna get sick from this.

Also "Poisoning" can work in other ways too, like poisoning someones garden plot once Gardens remain persistant and/or coating arrows in a poisonous substance.

The only counters to this that I can see is that they food must look like it has been tampered with to an extent, Like a small hole where someone jabbed a needle inside or a small cut in the side of a can, Or apply it to food that has already been opened. AND this kinda stuff has to be RARE, Or cost a small fortune in supplies and danger from self-testing to see if the final product works

As rags said Poison is only to cause harm able to used indiscriminatingly against anyone so make it a bitch to obtain.

Ugh, I can't stand people who are like "I am against PvP, stop trying to add more ways for players to kill each other!". It's pathetic. I don't even PvP but I like that I have the option. 

There is something that I'm sure very few people have actually used in-game, when scanning over items in world or the inventory, you have the "INSPECT" option. A few additional lines of text at the bottom of the description could say this "It looks like it's been tampered with" or "This item smells funny". A can't count the number of times I've eaten random food I've found in-game because I know it's always pristine (which is a bad habit of the current version).

Also I pretty sure most poison's are toxic in that they make you sick but won't kill you right away, it would make your opponent easier to deal with, especially in a melee encounter. In addition, I think certain plants such as berries and mushrooms should play an important aspect of poisoning ones food. (such as combining a poisonous shroom to a can of baked beans)