Sign in to follow this  
Troll_Hunter

Game modes

Hi,

The game currently has 2 game modes named Regular and Hard Core.

Since Dayz is to be a difficult and challenging game, (much) more difficult then regular 'arcade' games, would it be helpful for the game to have an easy arcade mode?

Arcade mode.

For such arcade mode I expect text hints, Survival guidebook, 1st and 3rd person view, more damage tolerance, more blood, higher tolerance of dehydration/ hunger, disease.

What other things would be helpful? more available loot?, slower zombies?

I think such a mode would be good to get new players into the game, and familiar with the basics.

Normal mode.

'Hard core' mode is a name I hate, because I think it should be the unforgiving, disorientating, contrasting play style as Dean originally envisioned his game, hence I favour NORMAL mode.

Normal mode would have all the game mechanics layers, regular fragile health system, challenging zombies, and only 1st person view.

Skirmish / test / tutorial mode.

If you want to play alone a practice game. Perhaps with 'competing' NPC characters, good for learning the ropes or gear testing in a safe environment. Maybe allow a number of friends to join over LAN/TCP ? In the setup one can setup the game, loot, map size, zombie density, time of day, season, vehicle spawns, etc.

What do you think, why?

Are there any other modes you like to see?

Please be constructive and civil in your replies.

I kinda don't think there should be any contextual help.  In my opinion this game is more of a survival simulator meant to test your ingenuity.  A lot of people that play this game like CoD don't bother drag-dropping items onto each other to see what they make.  You can do a lot of neat things with rope, just use your imagination.

As for the damage tolerances, I think taking a .45 round to the chest and still being able to wriggle around is being pretty lenient.  

The game currently has 2 game modes named Regular and Hard Core. 1st Person and 1st/3rd Person.

There is no "regular" and no "hardcore". None of the modes deserves the "hardcore" label. First Person might give you less awareness but thats also true for your opponents. Furthermore by having no peeking vision is basically symmetric which results in more "natural" gameplay. Third Person gives you more awareness but also limits tactical options by allowing to peek over walls or around corners without exposing yourself. And because of this the only mode that might deserve the "regular" label is First Person. Third person might provide an additional view option but this directly leads to less gameplay options and a way of playing that is far from "regular" or natural.

Modes I would like:

Peeking mode*

The current 1st/3rd Person mode where you actually cannot use the first person option all the time (though it might be advantageous for aiming or if you want a challenge). Normal loot rarity (= stuff is quite hard to find), normal (=very challenging) survival and PvE elements.

Normal Mode

A mode that does allow both first person and third person but does not allow peeking by only showing players/loot/effects/etc. that would also be visible in first person. Choice of perspective is a matter of preference here. Everything else as above.

First Person Mode*

As the name suggests its the same as the above but limited to first person view.

Survival Mode

Only first person, normal loot rarity and PvE/survival difficulty. However, if you die you cannot respawn for 12 (or more) hours. This one is basically meant for immersive gameplay.

Hardcore Mode

For people who want a challenge. Like normal mode (both views but no peeking) but with much less loot, more dangerous environment and harder survival. Survivors need to form groups and cooperate to survive. Going alone is extremely hard and might require some luck or outside help. When you die you cannot respawn for a time longer than in "Normal" but much shorter than in "Survival".

*Those might be more for private shard/server rulesets.

Things a hive should force upon servers (same for all of them):

• season
  • time multiplier
  • time cycle (servers are either all daylight/nighttime or follow a 24 hour cycle**)
  • available perspectives
  • difficulty level (loot, PvE, survival, etc.)
  • timers (server switch, death)
  • restart frequency
  • persistence (eventually)

**Server admins should be able to choose an offset x to make ingame time = server time + x but not speed up or skip periods of time.

I believe that once moding tools are released for public use..all of these 'modes' will be possible B)

I'd support an offline mode (which obviously uses a completely unique character for that mode) so you can do something while your internet stops being a bitch or the Steam servers are down (currently happening a lot in Chile)