Cartoonrboy

What would YOU class as HARDCORE?

I'd be interested to know; the definition varies vastly across players. My definition:

• No map markers/waypoints.
  • No traders.
  • Tough Ai.
  • PvP+PvE.
  • No full moon nights.
  • No canned food.
  • Deadly Zombies.
  • Rarer/limited loot.
  • Extreme weather.
  • Boil drinking water.
  • First Person Limit.

What would your definition be?

Edited by Cartoonrboy

Epoch, or any sort of mod that involves traders, or anything of the sort, cannot in any way shape or form be associated with anything hardcore whatsoever. 

--

First person is a necessity for anything hardcore, personally.

• Like 1

Epoch, or any sort of mod that involves traders, or anything of the sort, cannot in any way shape or form be associated with anything hardcore whatsoever. 

--

Epoch can sertainly be used. Just renovera all traders. Just keep the crafting part.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know; the definition varies vastly across players. My definition:

• No map markers/waypoints.
  • No traders.
  • Tough Ai.
  • PvP+PvE.
  • No full moon nights.
  • No canned food.
  • Deadly Zombies.
  • Rarer/limited loot.
  • Extreme weather.
  • Boil drinking water.

What would your definition be?

Hardcore: Has unlocked achievement, 24hr bender complete. There is no other definition mate. B) B)

• Like 1

First step is to make the game realistic. Up to the max. Vanilla is pretty close to that already.

That would not exclude traders (if they only sell to you what someone sold them earlier). That would also not remove canned food. But you still can respawn, heal deadly wounds, carry large backpacks, recharge batteries by waiting and more unrealistic stuff you need for a game.

Most hardcore server feature I could imagine? Ban players forever once they die. Stupid, but hardcore.

• Like 1

http://forums.dayzredux.com/index.php?/topic/440-what-is-dayzredux-aggregate-change-list-from-dayz/

Dayz Redux was the definition of what HARDCORE was....hell some of the things from the MOD originated from us....sigh that there are very few servers left like this...this was PRE Epoch and Overwatch etc...

But again...this only appealed to a select few people...

http://forums.dayzredux.com/index.php?/topic/440-what-is-dayzredux-aggregate-change-list-from-dayz/

Dayz Redux was the definition of what HARDCORE was....hell some of the things from the MOD originated from us....sigh that there are very few servers left like this...this was PRE Epoch and Overwatch etc...

But again...this only appealed to a select few people...

I have seen many servers classifying themselves as HARDCORE. In many cases the server features contain a lack of conviction in the interests of populating the server. First person view and no traders is a key aspect in my opinion; any server without these features cannot be classed as HARDCORE. Perhaps it is only a select few that prefer HARDCORE mode. So be it.

--

I totally agree. Post updated with first person requirement. FINDALdayZ has a limited first person mode whereby when in combat or a rapidly moving vehicle the view is locked to first person; there is value in the third person, particularly when building. Some players have complained about this feature, but I refuse to affect the classification in favour of being popular. Once ones integrity is compromised there's no limit as to how diluted the experience may become.

Edited by Cartoonrboy

First of all, sry for my English, since im not a native speaker, but i hope you guys will unterstand my point anyway:

I also have Hardcore on my servers name, but to be honest i do not think this is true hardcore. Its just because of Mods like Epoch, Overwatch and the combination of those too made the whole Mod more like an Sissy Mod with Zombies.

Don't get me wrong here, i like Epoch, but not for the Traders. I just like it for its bigger amount of Items, Weapons and Skins from which i can choose from to have them on the Server. Its easier for admins to get creative without big limit. Their are just so many Epoch/Overpoch Server right now, with deployable bikes, Guns, everywhere, Safezones, Autorefuel, +100000 Vehicles etc. this features maybe are cool, but they do not belong into a survival Game. They would almost nowhere some fuel left in an post apocalyptic scenario or high tech long range weapons.

I just made a server which is just a normal survival server in which i tried to catch the post apocalyptic scenario as good as possible and call it hardcore because in comparison it is harder then the 90% other overoriginspochawseome servers.

EDIT: Forst Person or 3rd Person: As long as there is AI on a Server i would not disable it. The reason is simple, the AI has some advantages which players do not have, like no bushes or trees. This can be compensate with the 3rd person view. On PvP only i would prefer to have frist person only, its way more intense to fight light this. But most players dont like this idea.

Here is a really nice video to this topic 

Edited by shinySonic
  • Like 2

Start with the vanilla dayzmod and place the arma settings to Mercenary.  Set it to first person only with realistic moon and night/day cycles.

If you have to modify the server by adding a building system like Epoch so be it but limit the building to small ad-dons to existing buildings.  The building concept is nice but why would anyone spend time and effort building when there are thousands of serviceable homes all over Chernarus?  

No other modifications except bug fixes.

Why I would not use Epochmod as a basis for a hardcore server:

• Zombies are too easy and a non-factor.
  • Traders (either pre-stocked with goods or filled by players).  It allows for persist-able loot locations.
  • Too militarized even OOTB.  
  • Backpacks can carry way too much stuff.
  • Propensity for AI missions on servers (kills the economy and the need to loot).

Don't get me wrong I like Epoch as I've got thousands of hours playing the mod but as a basis for a hard core server it has some challenges.

First of all, sry for my English, since im not a native speaker, but i hope you guys will unterstand my point anyway:

I also have Hardcore on my servers name, but to be honest i do not think this is true hardcore. Its just because of Mods like Epoch, Overwatch and the combination of those too made the whole Mod more like an Sissy Mod with Zombies.

Don't get me wrong here, i like Epoch, but not for the Traders. I just like it for its bigger amount of Items, Weapons and Skins from which i can choose from to have them on the Server. Its easier for admins to get creative without big limit. Their are just so many Epoch/Overpoch Server right now, with deployable bikes, Guns, everywhere, Safezones, Autorefuel, +100000 Vehicles etc. this features maybe are cool, but they do not belong into a survival Game. They would almost nowhere some fuel left in an post apocalyptic scenario or high tech long range weapons.

I just made a server which is just a normal survival server in which i tried to catch the post apocalyptic scenario as good as possible and call it hardcore because in comparison it is harder then the 90% other overoriginspochawseome servers.

EDIT: Forst Person or 3rd Person: As long as there is AI on a Server i would not disable it. The reason is simple, the AI has some advantages which players do not have, like no bushes or trees. This can be compensate with the 3rd person view. On PvP only i would prefer to have frist person only, its way more intense to fight light this. But most players dont like this idea.

An interesting point. Thanks very much for taking the time to contribute. Players such as yourself are rare these days, or in a minority at least. Your server has that post apocalyptic feel which is sorely missing from the majority of servers, but in response I'd state that Epoch is a tool, and used correctly it can produce a server which is truly difficult, yet rewarding.

Keep up the excellent work, never give in to sheep.

Start with the vanilla dayzmod and place the arma settings to Mercenary.  Set it to first person only with realistic moon and night/day cycles.

If you have to modify the server by adding a building system like Epoch so be it but limit the building to small ad-dons to existing buildings.  The building concept is nice but why would anyone spend time and effort building when there are thousands of serviceable homes all over Chernarus?  

• Traders (either pre-stocked with goods or filled by players).  It allows for persist-able loot locations.
  • Propensity for AI missions on servers (kills the economy and the need to loot).

Don't get me wrong I like Epoch as I've got thousands of hours playing the mod but as a basis for a hard core server it has some challenges.

It really depends on how the server is produced. To make a hardcore server one needs conviction, restraint and integrity.

Without traders, with scarcer loot, a weight limit and with extreme conditions players are forced to consider what they are capable of whilst building a base home. What has transpired on FINALdayZ is a series of installations which recycle the dilapidated infrastructure found within the landscape; players are not starting from scratch but restoring established buildings to shortcut their plans. I prefer the aesthetics anyway, and I'm impressed by players who consider the actual reality of how it would transpire should an apocalypse happen. I cannot condone cavernous bases, as impressive they may be maintaining and heating such a structure would be almost impossible.

This is DayZ, not Minecraft.

Edited by Cartoonrboy

I really like the modular parts building from epoch and the main reason i dont like that players occupy existing buildings is that in them loot is spawning, so technicly they need to risk less to get their loot. The other reason is that i dont like to set some rules and watch all players where thy build their bases. I want to play on my server and not play big brother there ^^

To handle that i simply modified the script, so its not possible to build near houses or towns, this way i make sure everything is like it should be i do not know where every player has its base =)

• I changed that to the vanilla zombie script and also made some of my of changes in there, so on our server they are dangarous again

​I hated the fact the players could just get hit several times without even care about this, so i made the zombies a bit more powerfull ^^

• Totally agree, they need to be gone! As well as some God-Mode Zones

• Also agree, in an post apokalyptic scenraion you wouldnt find working high tech weapon. Same thing with ammo. 

I let the players craft better weapons. This fits more the scenario in my opinion then just find snipers on the floor

• True! And most server even disable the Weight System, so you can even carry as much as you want e.g. 60 Motorblocks O_o

• Also true! Players start to farm those AI for there loot then instead of go looting like it should be!

We also have some AI, but as soon as they get killed they get their gear set to some shotguns or other short range weapons, which makes them not that attractive anymore to hunt down. For now they are for some lonly players to get some company besides some zombies. 

With a little bit knowledge about scripting it is not that hard to get this done. Many players expect from an epoch server that it has traders and safezone, etc but im not looking for those players. 

I think we did a good job with our server, but i would not call it a hardcore server myself, just in comparision with others ^^

• Like 2

I would state that rules upon a server go against the very nature of DayZ. To simulate a post apocalyptic scenario there must be no rules, even if the administrator considers the server not to be hardcore. With rules in place it is not DayZ. The core of DayZ is that it encourages players make decisions based entirely on their own morality.

I do not appreciate humanity mechanic as each persons moral standing is not that black and white or indeed permanent. A players own social position on the server is enough to warrant particular behaviours from players based on their own conduct without resorting to game mechanics to enforce such standings.

Edited by Cartoonrboy
  • Like 1

our only rules are:

No Voice in Side-Chat

No Combat Logging

No Cheating

Respect Eachother

The rest is solved through scripts. I just do not like the idea that players have spawning loot in their bases.

• Like 1

I really like the modular parts building from epoch and the main reason i dont like that players occupy existing buildings is that in them loot is spawning, so technicly they need to risk less to get their loot. The other reason is that i dont like to set some rules and watch all players where thy build their bases. I want to play on my server and not play big brother there ^^

To handle that i simply modified the script, so its not possible to build near houses or towns, this way i make sure everything is like it should be i do not know where every player has its base =)

I do acknowledge it can be done with Epoch it just needs some work from the server owner.  I see you've done a few things to improve the difficulty.  With respect to building in lootable areas why not let the players work it out?  If some poor sod(s) want to build in a high value area they are going to get raped, while on and/or offline?  Anyways good post.

I just do not like the idea that people blocking loot for others by building in high loot areas. We have a building-limit but it would be still possible to block buildings with it.

Sure it is more realistic to build a base around an existing building like in the walking dead, but since players can build walls and floors on their own in epoch there is no need for that.

whole thing short: players just should not block access for other players. Fair play guaranteed, at least I hope so ^^

Hey there.

My name is Phobix, and I am one of the developers with NMG or narrowmindedgaming. We currently run a hardcore oriented server. 

I echo what fotwenty (hi btw, long time no see. you are never in TS!) said about redux, it was an awesome mod. One of the things I loved was the toned down weaponry. 90% of engagements were with lower end AKsa nd M4's. Most times there were a grand total of 2 CZ's and 1 M-24 on the server.

Our server aims to bring the hardcore feeling back to dayz. We are always looking for like minded people. 

Shiny, I love the sound of your server. I sent you a PM and would like the chance to talk in TS at some point =) I think we could collaborate and come up with something really special.

In the end, hardcore for me, is about immersion. I want it to be a struggle to gain ground. I want to value every step I take because the steps before it were so hard to take. In that same vein, I want to know that when I kill someone, it hurts =P 

In the end, hardcore for me, is about immersion. I want it to be a struggle to gain ground. I want to value every step I take because the steps before it were so hard to take. In that same vein, I want to know that when I kill someone, it hurts =P 

FINALdayZ is exactly that. The list at the top represent what you will find here and I challenge any player to find surviving this Namalsk an easy prospect. The fact is that the weather alone will kill you before you starve, dehydrate, die of infection, get shot by elite Ai or drown in the frozen seas surrounding the isle. A consequence of the hardcore nature is that PvP is less prevalent as simply staying alive requires much determination, but it is not outlawed. Unlike other servers, there are no rules, as this is the point of DayZ.