5mirkeh

The Winchester Model 70 discussion thread

The mentality that its completely normal to find firearms everywhere and that even military grade weapons are quite common.

well im hopping they add in spawn points for EVERY house to spawn a gun. It should just be a lower chance to find them in a normal home than a police station or military location. It should be everything from military to a common house pistol. But anything military should have like a .08% chance to spawn over the more common hunting weapons.

Hell combat knifes are freaking rarer than most military guns for some damn reason lol.

Edited by Deathlove

u wot m8?

Why would they remove a weapon that fits in with the game lore, and is infact one of the most common guns in the world?

You can buy these irl for like 50 bucks

:P I didn't say they would remove it cuz of the lore and it's amount in real life. Just saying that they probably would because it's gonna because more useless than the lee enfield. xD

Because i would like to see variety in areas outside of pistols, rifles, and AKs that don't require goofy gimmicks like chopper crashes to obtain. The attachments and magazines can still be rare just give me some variety in other areas.

I enjoy overkill

Again....you didn't answer the question.

You want more variety in firearms? All well and good. 

Why, however, should an assault rifle be the default firearm? Why should you "settle for" an assault rifle, until you get that "next tier" (I hate that way of thinking) firearm? Who says there is a "next tier" firearm? What is that "next tier" firearm? A sniper rifle? What makes it so much better than the assault rifle? How do weapons even get sorted into tiers? 

Protip: I've used a Blaze 95, an M4, and an AKM. Want to know what I think is the "better" weapon? The Blaze, as it is more versatile and can be used for more than PvP; hunting, self-defense, PvP, etc. AKM's and M4's have too much dispersion and they are too...specialized (ironic, considering assault rifles are the "jack of all trades" firearm of the world) to be really used for anything but PvP.

There shouldn't be 30+ people running around on a server using an assault rifle. This is a survival game, not a deathmatch

• Like 2

There are plenty of scopes for the mosin, I hope they don't nerf it totally. Make them hard to find, same for other rifles and guns in the game. Gun= easy, ammo/clips = difficult, scopes= hard to find.

As long as the mosin can still use a scope like the PU i don't think it would break the realism for me completely. And i agree make scopes hard to find but make them compatible with many guns that would fit the bill.

:P I didn't say they would remove it cuz of the lore and it's amount in real life. Just saying that they probably would because it's gonna because more useless than the lee enfield. xD

Why is it useless? Even without the LR scope, it is still a rifle than can put a bullet out to 300m. Is it loud, relatively inaccurate, heavy, etc? Yes. Will it kill someone dead? YES.

Just because a firearm isn't "tacticool", with flashlight, folding stock, and scope mounted on it, doesn't mean it is useless.

God, do I hate "tacticool" supporters and "Geardos". I don't even own a modern firearm, and they annoy the piss out of me for some reason I can't explain.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

Again....you didn't answer the question.

You want more variety in firearms? All well and good. 

Why, however, should an assault rifle be the default firearm? Why should you "settle for" an assault rifle, until you get that "next tier" (I hate that way of thinking) firearm? Who says there is a "next tier" firearm? What is that "next tier" firearm? A sniper rifle? What makes it so much better than the assault rifle? How do weapons even get sorted into tiers? 

Protip: I've used a Blaze 95, an M4, and an AKM. Want to know what I think is the "better" weapon? The Blaze, as it is more versatile and can be used for more than PvP; hunting, self-defense, PvP, etc. AKM's and M4's have too much dispersion and they are too...specialized (ironic, considering assault rifles are the "jack of all trades" firearm of the world) to be really used for anything but PvP.

There shouldn't be 30+ people running around on a server using an assault rifle. This is a survival game, not a deathmatch

Well i know you like the Blaze that is your personal favorite weapon. My personal favorite is the AK 74 right now but i want to be able to use NATO round weapons more often without to many Gimmicks. They should be rare but not to the point where it takes over 30 real days just to find anything or just none stop playing without sleep per say.

I said nothing about weapons in tier category of what is better. Its again a personal preference. Like with Breaking Point i find AKs all the time but i just prefer going with the ARs over them when i can get them. And as for sniper weapons i use them more for PVE over PVP but in the case of PVP i prefer them because i dont have to engage in close proximity with ppl ever. I can spy on ppl with my scope just to see what there up to than be on my way someplace else. Its more handy than a pare of binoculars or a range finder sometimes.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy engaging in conversations with ppl I just enjoy some of these guns mainly for PVE aspects more than for PVP spray and pray crap.

-snip-

-sigh-

Apparently, you are not understanding the point I am making, and the question I am asking.

You like assault rifles. Nice. You want to use NATO rounds. OK. You want more variety in that category. I disagree, as I feel we already have, what, 5 or 6 different assault rifles, spread over three different chamberings? That is enough, at the very least, and a little too much, IMO. Add some other types of firearms, like shotguns,, bolt action rifles, etc. But, whatever.

What I am getting at is why do you think the assault rifle should be the general, go-to weapon, before moving on to "better things". How do you determine what "better things" are? How does everybody having an assault rifle with ammo to spare add, or change, what is supposedly a survival game?

See, I am almost 100% in the opposite direction. Firearms, with the exception of shotguns, the CR75 (what I assume to be the in-game "Service Pistol" for the Chernarus police and Defense Force) and the Mosin 91/30, should be rare as shit, with ammunition even for the common firearms being relatively uncommon. That way, people would use other means of dealing with enemies; talking, using a bow/crossbow, hoarding and reloading ammunition, or even talking, rather than running to the closest military loot spawn and spray n' praying any time they see anyone.

IMO, the game should be "An AKM, with a magazine and 10 rounds? NICE! Gonna save this for trading, or for when I really need it...", not the current "An AKM? Meh, I guess I'll use it until something better comes along..."

I would like to see more robberies and hold-ups with empty or near-empty weapons. You sure as hell don't know how many rounds he has in that magazine, but you aren't going to push him to find out! Check out a game called "I Am Alive", an otherwise slightly mediocre-parkour/survival game. 99.9% of combat is bluffing your way through armed gangs, using a mostly-empty pistol to threaten them away from you. You will never have a full magazine, and the other weapons in the game are machetes (which can only be used in ambush, or blade-to-blade vs a gang member, which usually ends up in you getting your ass kicked by his friends), and a bow. The bow is hands-down the best weapon in the game, as you can re-use the ammunition. I use the pistol on gangmembers with guns, the bow on machete guys, and the machete on whoever is pissing themselves in the corner. You actually have to think about how to fight, because if you don't plan things out ahead of time, you are gonna have a bad time.

• Like 1

talking, using a bow/crossbow, hoarding and reloading ammunition, or even talking, rather than running to the closest military loot spawn and spray n' praying any time they see anyone.

I would have no issue with crossbows/bows if the damage wasn't so terrible on them with infected and alerting every single one to your presence after you fire it. Normally the crossbow and bow would be my default weapon but right now there is no advantage to having them until stealth gets put in effectively.

So does this mean we will be getting the ammo varieties for this as well? The 30-60 Splfd, 300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, and the 375 H&. To be honest theres ALLOT that can be chambered for variety in this model.

http://gundata.org/details/gun/241/rifles/winchester-model-70-alaskan/ Seems like the go to gun for various ammo types and task. No reason for the developers to limit the gun to one type of ammo on this. Just make the more common ammo and add the rarer stuff in other locations for it.

So does this mean we will be getting the ammo varieties for this as well? The 30-60 Splfd, 300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, and the 375 H&. To be honest theres ALLOT that can be chambered for variety in this model.

http://gundata.org/details/gun/241/rifles/winchester-model-70-alaskan/ Seems like the go to gun for various ammo types and task. No reason for the developers to limit the gun to one type of ammo on this. Just make the more common ammo and add the rarer stuff in other locations for it.

A firearm can't actually use more than one caliber of ammunition. It has to be chambered in a specific ammunition caliber. For example, the rifle above could be chambered in .30-06. You couldn't use .338 Magnum, but actual bullet and casing is the wrong size. 

So, the devs could implement differing chamberings of a specific model of rifle, but they wouldn't be interchangeable, and would in reality be pretty much different firearms.

A firearm can't actually use more than one caliber of ammunition. It has to be chambered in a specific ammunition caliber. For example, the rifle above could be chambered in .30-06. You couldn't use .338 Magnum, but actual bullet and casing is the wrong size. 

So, the devs could implement differing chamberings of a specific model of rifle, but they wouldn't be interchangeable, and would in reality be pretty much different firearms.

Im just happy there adding in a Winchester rifle in general.

Why is it useless? Even without the LR scope, it is still a rifle than can put a bullet out to 300m. Is it loud, relatively inaccurate, heavy, etc? Yes. Will it kill someone dead? YES.

Just because a firearm isn't "tacticool", with flashlight, folding stock, and scope mounted on it, doesn't mean it is useless.

God, do I hate "tacticool" supporters and "Geardos". I don't even own a modern firearm, and they annoy the piss out of me for some reason I can't explain.

*Sigh* Please stop jumping the trigger, cowboy. I don't care about all the neaty gritty "tacticool" attachments. I just HATE that they ruined the awesome mosin that it was v1.0. Compare the v1.0 to now and YOU will see what I mean.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

*Sigh* Please stop jumping the trigger, cowboy. I don't care about all the neaty gritty "tacticool" attachments. I just HATE that they ruined the awesome mosin that it was v1.0. Compare the v1.0 to now and YOU will see what I mean.

IMO, we were spoiled with that "awesome" Mosin in the first place, for precisely that reason.

Edited by Whyherro123

IMO, we were spoiled with that "awesome" Mosin in the first place, for precisely that reason.

;_; It was louder, sounded cooler, and did way more damage (well the 7.62x51mm did).

No, at this point im just tired of European weapons and Russian ones in general. Ill gladly take a few Americanized guns over those any day right now.

That's not the point, the point is that they should not have chosen the "Alaskan".

Besides, Model 70s are owned by a Belgian company (FN), they are made in Belgium, and they are assembled in Portugal...

99% of people would be unable to tell the difference between "European" and "American" anyways. It's a label.

Are there any significant aesthetic differences between continents?

dDrBCX4.png

Anyone want to give me the differences between the 30-06 and the 7.62 cartrages? Gew's this is your specialty :)

It goes about 50-100 fps faster in commercial loads, in military loads it is about the same, there is not a large difference.

• Like 2

Interesting choice, i guess this along with the Garand confirms 30-06.

Are they still planning to split '7.62' into 7.62x54r and .308?

Having 7.63x54r, 30-06 and .308 all being used for low end weapons would be pretty mad, So as i see it they'll either not split 7.62 or change the blaze and longhorn to 30-06. However this would leave the fal (which isn't even in yet) as the only .308/7.62x51, maybe they'll just have the model 70 chambered in .308 which is a much more acceptable breach of realism than the 7.62x51 Mosin.      

• Like 2

Nobody realy needs M4 or AKM if you dont go to Elektro or Novo to play deathmatch. In game as it is now, you can survive for weeks with fire axe and Blaze with dozen rounds. No zombies, animals dont give a fuck about you unless you kick them in the ass. Once there are dozens of zombies in every village and in woods, than we will need automatic weapons. I hoped we get something like Model 70 or CZ550 when CR527 was first introduced  in game, but we got small rifle without optics, rare ammo and super rare magazines.

Maybe they chose the Alaskan because there are rumors they're going to add bears?  IRL you would want a rifle chambered in 338 win mag and preferably 375 H&H if you had to defend yourself against one of them.  I myself would LOVE to see a 375 H&H in the game, it's been around for close to a century, it's the only caliber that can be used to hunt anything in the world.  When it comes to "need" a person really only needs 3 weapons, a .22, 12 gauge and a 375 H&H.  You can hunt anything on this green earth with that combination.

I want to talk about the assault weapons as well for a minute.  Why does anyone care if there are 30 people running around Berezino with assault weapons killing each other?  The map is big and if you don't like the playstyle just don't go there!  The beauty of DayZ is that it can be played anyway you want it to be played.  I personally love the M4 and I don't think it should be rare but it is so I deal with it.  I just don't see how a weapon skin or people in a town known for PvP can wreck the game for so many people like they claim.  Just get over yourself and quit trying to dictate how the game is played and complaining that an "American" weapon is ruining the game for you, LOL

Punisher

Maybe they chose the Alaskan because there are rumors they're going to add bears?  IRL you would want a rifle chambered in 338 win mag and preferably 375 H&H if you had to defend yourself against one of them.  I myself would LOVE to see a 375 H&H in the game, it's been around for close to a century, it's the only caliber that can be used to hunt anything in the world.  When it comes to "need" a person really only needs 3 weapons, a .22, 12 gauge and a 375 H&H.  You can hunt anything on this green earth with that combination.

I want to talk about the assault weapons as well for a minute.  Why does anyone care if there are 30 people running around Berezino with assault weapons killing each other?  The map is big and if you don't like the playstyle just don't go there!  The beauty of DayZ is that it can be played anyway you want it to be played.  I personally love the M4 and I don't think it should be rare but it is so I deal with it.  I just don't see how a weapon skin or people in a town known for PvP can wreck the game for so many people like they claim.  Just get over yourself and quit trying to dictate how the game is played and complaining that an "American" weapon is ruining the game for you, LOL

Punisher

Yea the 375 H&H is great and would be good due to its unique ballistics. It's more of a heavy hitting short to medium range caliber with a heavy ballistic curve.

Similar to the 9.3x62

9.3x62M.JPG

Nobody realy needs M4 or AKM if you dont go to Elektro or Novo to play deathmatch. In game as it is now, you can survive for weeks with fire axe and Blaze with dozen rounds. No zombies, animals dont give a fuck about you unless you kick them in the ass. Once there are dozens of zombies in every village and in woods, than we will need automatic weapons. I hoped we get something like Model 70 or CZ550 when CR527 was first introduced  in game, but we got small rifle without optics, rare ammo and super rare magazines.

Even if there were dozens of zombies in the smallest of villages, you still would not "need" an assault rifle. That Blaze 95 and a pocketful of rounds could serve you just as well with some forethought, moving from cover to cover, and, most importantly, knowing when to flee.

, I wouldn't mind if when we get more scopes and hunting rifles the Mosin was relegated to only being able to take a PU scope.

If it was good enough for Vasili Zaitsev, it should be good enough for us. Seriously, that's what Soviet snipers had to use in WW2, and they did fine.

• Like 3

You're dreaming. The Blaze is a filler piece of garbage, to be dropped for pretty much anything else. The AKM and M4 are more than capable in any of those roles, and with a scope and a skilled hand make fine medium range marksman rifles. I've dropped people at 400meters with both and have no problem dropping animals with the same. They truly are 'jack of all trades' guns because the only role they don't do well is long range sniping, everything else from PVP to hunting they excel. I would carry a AKM over any other gun in the game if I had to choose.

You're dreaming. The Blaze is a filler piece of garbage, to be dropped for pretty much anything else. The AKM and M4 are more than capable in any of those roles, and with a scope and a skilled hand make fine medium range marksman rifles. I've dropped people at 400meters with both and have no problem dropping animals with the same. They truly are 'jack of all trades' guns because the only role they don't do well is long range sniping, everything else from PVP to hunting they excel. I would carry a AKM over any other gun in the game if I had to choose.

And I've killed far more people with a Blaze 95 than I have with an M4 or an AKM. It comes down to preference, and given the choice between an AKM and a Blaze, I would choose the Blaze 95 99% of the time. 

I am not dependent on military loot spawns

I can keep my rifle fed FAR easier than you can.

I have FAR more effective iron sights than you do

etc etc etc

Why not take a Mosin then? Having only two shots is a terrible liability in battle. 7.62x39 is as common as finding the Moisin 7.62 ammo that the Blaze uses, I have no trouble keeping my AKM fed.

Edited by jukaga