5mirkeh

The Winchester Model 70 discussion thread

I have heard somewhere that the Mosin will not be able to use the long range scope when the devteam adds a new bolt action rifle into the game, And so far reading the latest DayZ devblog that rifle may be the Winchester Model 70, Can anyone help clear this up alongside discussing what might happen to the Mosin if (or when) The new rifle gets added to the game?

Well, I love the mosin still even though it got SO many *ucking undeserved nerfs both in sound and damage. :P I absolutely think the mosin will get removed later on or will become DayZ's "Lee Enfield" except a crappy version.

Winchester model 70 , cz 550 or Remington 700 would all be formidable hunting rifles fitting the long range role.

Hope they go with a common hunting caliber like .30-06 and not something silly like .338 lapua.

• Like 4

"we're currently working on a Winchester Model 70 Alaskan"

???

Don't know why they would choose this one. It only comes in .30-06 and magnum chamberings. Makes no sense to me.

Oh, I see. Apart from the Safari, it's the only Model 70 still offered with iron sights.  <_<

I don't think this rifle is a good choice at all. Model 70 says "America", Alaskan says "magnum" (and "America"), it's too heavy and overbuilt for .30-06 at 8.5 lbs and GOD FORBID we are handed this rifle with some grinning "7.62x51" cartridges.

It would be better to have something cheaper and more common (Rem 700 etc.) or something more European (CZ550, Tikka, SAKO, etc.).

I suspect they only chose this model because it has the iron sights and that's a poor reason. The great majority of bolt-action hunting rifles aren't offered with iron sights anymore. I don't get it.

$0.02

• Like 2

Winchester model 70 , cz 550 or Remington 700 would all be formidable hunting rifles fitting the long range role.

Hope they go with a common hunting caliber like .30-06 and not something silly like .338 lapua.

Looking at what the Winchester is able to fire I think they will use the .30-06 if they are also going to add the M1 garand in the future

The fact that they are going to remove the Mosin's ability to use the LRS actually makes me happy. And before you go and say "haha only bcuz u git kiled bye snipars cuz u suk", keep in mind the Mosin doesn't have a Picatinny rail system. The LRS (by the look of the model) requires a Picatinny rail to be mounted.

Now is about the time to give weapons their own specific stats and let them all have their Pros and Cons.

Right now the SKS, AKM, and CZ527 all have the same stats. The Aug and M4A1 are literally the same weapon but with a different skin.

• Like 6

The fact that they are going to remove the Mosin's ability to use the LRS actually makes me happy. And before you go and say "haha only bcuz u git kiled bye snipars cuz u suk", keep in mind the Mosin doesn't have a Picatinny rail system. The LRS (by the look of the model) requires a Picatinny rail to be mounted.

Now is about the time to give weapons their own specific stats and let them all have their Pros and Cons.

Right now the SKS, AKM, and CZ527 all have the same stats. The Aug and M4A1 are literally the same weapon but with a different skin.

Not to mention that the AUG and M4A1 share the same sounds

• Like 1

I didn't read anything about the LRS and the Alaskan but I did see something related to scoped from Chris Torchia, it's highly likely that the LRS is placeholder, I wouldn't mind if when we get more scopes and hunting rifles the Mosin was relegated to only being able to take a PU scope.

It will probably come in .30-06 especially after the M1 Garand was hinted. So both the new weapon and the new round might end up as a less common alternative to the Mosin which will probably lose the Longrange Scope but keep the PU Scope. Now the Model 70 Alaskan seem to hold only 3 rounds so there would still be reason to use the Mosin.

I really hope they buff the CR527 in some way - making the ammo and magazines more common, AKM and SKS less common, adding attachments etc. to make it viable as well.

In general I would like to see three things for weapons:

• A weight value that influences stamina/fatigue/speed as well as weapon sway/recoil.
  • A "ballistic" value that represents barrel length and has influence on muzzle velocity/damage.
  • Attachments having more authentic effects: impact on dexterity, sway, recoil, weight and reload speed instead of dispersion.

On a smaller not I would like the .45 ACP round nerfed - right now it hits as hard as .375 Magnum and harder than 5.56x45mm NATO when it should be pretty close to 9mm Parabellum instead.

• Like 2

I didn't read anything about the LRS and the Alaskan but I did see something related to scoped from Chris Torchia, it's highly likely that the LRS is placeholder, I wouldn't mind if when we get more scopes and hunting rifles the Mosin was relegated to only being able to take a PU scope.

Yes the first hint that the lrs is placeholder for me is the reticle . You wouldn't find a duplex reticle on what looks like a high end scope.

Really hoping the mosin becomes the low end inaccurate rifle in the game.

The pu scope should be removed from the sks too.

• Like 1

Well, I love the mosin still even though it got SO many *ucking undeserved nerfs both in sound and damage. :P I absolutely think the mosin will get removed later on or will become DayZ's "Lee Enfield" except a crappy version.

u wot m8?

Why would they remove a weapon that fits in with the game lore, and is infact one of the most common guns in the world?

You can buy these irl for like 50 bucks

Not to mention that the AUG and M4A1 share the same sounds

Well IRL they both use the same round (5.56x45mm) but different mags. 

Iv been pounding it into conversations every chance i get for them to put a Winchester rifle in game. Its about time they did. I use the Winchester rifle models allot in ARMA 3 Breaking Point for pvp and zombies. Its an amazingly versatile and effective gun. Much easier to find than most DMR sniper rifles too.

Edited by Deathlove

I don't think this rifle is a good choice at all. Model 70 says "America", Alaskan says "magnum" (and "America"), it's too heavy and overbuilt for .30-06 at 8.5 lbs and GOD FORBID we are handed this rifle with some grinning "7.62x51" cartridges.

It would be better to have something cheaper and more common (Rem 700 etc.) or something more European (CZ550, Tikka, SAKO, etc.).

No, at this point im just tired of European weapons and Russian ones in general. Ill gladly take a few Americanized guns over those any day right now.

Im also tired of COMMON ARs being rare as fuck and only found at chopper crashes. ARs are not that damn rare at least some of the standard ones are not. Hell id be happy with some ruined guns you can ether scrap or find scraps for to repair to work decently again.

• Like 1

Anyone want to give me the differences between the 30-06 and the 7.62 cartrages? Gew's this is your specialty :)

Im also tired of COMMON ARs being rare as fuck and only found at chopper crashes. ARs are not that damn rare at least some of the standard ones are not.

This is not America. Sure ARs might be very common in the US but not in a country like Chernarus. In general firearms are not common in Europe - let alone military rifles. Finding them only at helicopter crashsites makes sense.

In general I would tend towards firearms produced in Eastern Europe/Russia as the most common choices but in handguns/hunting weapons I don't see many issues with western ones. For military firearms everything NATO makes sense but only as rare crashsite loot while eastern weapons make the most sense as Chernarussian equipment.

• Like 1

This is not America. Sure ARs might be very common in the US but not in a country like Chernarus. In general firearms are not common in Europe - let alone military rifles. Finding them only at helicopter crashsites makes sense.

In general I would tend towards firearms produced in Eastern Europe/Russia as the most common choices but in handguns/hunting weapons I don't see many issues with western ones. For military firearms everything NATO makes sense but only as rare crashsite loot while eastern weapons make the most sense as Chernarussian equipment.

Even more standardized European ARs should be rare as hell? Even when your in a military compound where your at least guaranteed to find something standard like an M16 or even a few other varieties ruined?

No i think there needs to be some more common ARS you can find as well when your not looking for the more elite stuff just to get by with.

Edited by Deathlove

Even more standardized European ARs should be rare as hell? Even when your in a military compound where your at least guaranteed to find something standard like an M16 or even a few other varieties ruined?

No i think there needs to be some more common ARS you can find as well when your not looking for the more elite stuff just to get by with.

Why do you "need" an assault rifle? Why should that be the "default", the weapon you use while looking for the elite360noscopeuberoperatorsniper rifle?

We are playing a survival game. A AKM, with a magazine and 10 rounds should be an amazing find, not the default loadout.

• Like 4

I'll never understand this american mentality either. :)

Which American mentality?

Why do you "need" an assault rifle? Why should that be the "default", the weapon you use while looking for the elite360noscopeuberoperatorsniper rifle?

We are playing a survival game. A AKM, with a magazine and 10 rounds should be an amazing find, not the default loadout.

Im not a fan of AKs and some of the rifles. Its more of a choice preference rather than anything. Even if its a AR that can only use iron sights id be ok with that.

I'll never understand this american mentality either. :)

Its a personal preference. I don't think thats to hard to understand really.

Im not a fan of AKs and some of the rifles. Its more of a choice preference rather than anything. Even if its a AR that can only use iron sights id be ok with that.

Its a personal preference. I don't think thats to hard to understand really.

You...didn't answer the question. Let me rephrase it: Why do you "need" an assault rifle?

You...didn't answer the question. Let me rephrase it: Why do you "need" an assault rifle?

Because i would like to see variety in areas outside of pistols, rifles, and AKs that don't require goofy gimmicks like chopper crashes to obtain. The attachments and magazines can still be rare just give me some variety in other areas.

I enjoy overkill

Edited by Deathlove

Which American mentality?

The mentality that its completely normal to find firearms everywhere and that even military grade weapons are quite common.

• Like 2

There are plenty of scopes for the mosin, I hope they don't nerf it totally. Make them hard to find, same for other rifles and guns in the game. Gun= easy, ammo/clips = difficult, scopes= hard to find.