Sign in to follow this  
anarky321

craftable spears

maybe requiring a machete or knife to make but can be made using a bush or a tree? easy self defense weapon and effective against zombies

• Like 2

Uhhh... why?

To make a spear, you need a machete. A machete is more than double the damage of a pitchfork. A pitchfork is a three-pronged metal-tipped spear. Your spear is just pointy wood.

maybe requiring a machete or knife to make but can be made using a bush or a tree? easy self defense weapon and effective against zombies

I prefer the "prison shiv" system. You rub the end of the stick against rock or concrete for a few hours at a diagonal angle until it's pointy.

And OP I'm fairly sure they were going to do this anyway.

Uhhh... why?

To make a spear, you need a machete. A machete is more than double the damage of a pitchfork. A pitchfork is a three-pronged metal-tipped spear. Your spear is just pointy wood.

You have a point there; but if you have a knife, you can only do short range stabby stabby, With a pointy stick, you can do long range stabby stabby as well as have a knife. Range is definitely important when you're dealing with zombies who can give you gross diseases or induce bleeding with their bites. Ideally, you want to be fighting at a distance.

why not be able to tie a knife to a stick and make one with duct tape/rope/bandage/rags/grass. but then comes the problem of getting sticks lol

Meh, if people want to play caveman, let them but don't come back to the forums complaining that you keep getting bested by people with guns.

Being able to make a spear and then fire harden the tip is classic basic survival.

Maybe you want to make a melee weapon for a new spawn.

Maybe you want to attach that knife to the end of a stick to make a more effective weapon with better range.

Maybe you want to use that spear for spear fishing or to try and take down that boar in yonder field.

Or maybe you need some zombie protection...

Spears are very practical for hunting too, animals caught in traps can be safely and silently killed.

Throwing spears would be awesome too.

I would not sacrifice my bush craft knife to be a point on my spear, I would just be content with a sharpened wooden point, and use the knife to cut meat, and do other bush crafting tasks with it.

Maybe I would use some rope and scrap metal to make a better cutting point, if I have the time and means, and have not found a more sophisticated weapon. As a trapper I would very much like to have a spear, for killing trapped things silently. Even a silenced subsonic .22 can be heard over a few hundred meters, so bows and melee weapons make sense if you want to remain stealthy.

I would also love to impale a 'dooddoener' who carries a nice firearm just for a challenge, excitement and humiliation fun, and know that this caveman was just a bit smarter then the technology of the 20th century.

Edited by Troll_Hunter

Spears are very practical for hunting too, animals caught in traps can be safely and silently killed.

Throwing spears would be awesome too.

I would not sacrifice my bush craft knife to be a point on my spear, I would just be content with a sharpened wooden point, and use the knife to cut meat, and do other bush crafting tasks with it.

Maybe I would use some rope and scrap metal to make a better cutting point, if I have the time and means, and have not found a more sophisticated weapon. As a trapper I would very much like to have a spear, for killing trapped things silently. Even a silenced subsonic .22 can be heard over a few hundred meters, so bows and melee weapons make sense if you want to remain stealthy.

I would also love to impale a 'dooddoener' who carries a nice firearm just for challenge, excitement and the humiliation fun, and say that this caveman was just a bit smarter then the technology of the 20th century.

Ok there hero  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

good idea one could mean.. but if u see how well some stab melee weapon work....

Yes Lauri, currently the melee weapons leave a lot to be desired. But this doesn't prevent people from proposing additional melee weapons, and melee mechanics, and better kinetics.

Old idea that was planned the game. Dean Hall brought it up during an video interview during pre-alpha testing. Kichen knife, duct tape and stick...probably ashwood stick. I think the problem why its not in is physics related.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

Kichen knife, duct tape and stick...probably ashwood stick. I think the problem why its not in is physics related.

a sharpened spear would be far deadlier and sturdier than a kitchen knife duct taped to a stick....

Split (fresh)stick a part way down the shaft, wedge sharp object, say a knife, or blade like object down the middle,between the "prongs" of the stick, wrap duct tape around the "split". Voila...better than a sharpened stick

throwing isn't exactly perfect in dayz's current state, once throwing is absolutely flawless. You will be able to just pick up a pitchfork and throw it I guess.