Sign in to follow this  
AlphaDogMeat .

Don't Do This

This was something to do with some player or other having a beef with another player about something or other. Pokemon cards probably.

Anyway I was Overwatch Officer of The Day for this jaunt.

http://www.twitch.tv/alphadm/c/5585352

Notice no inflated claims of 1000m+ headshots, but "my recorder wasn't working".  It is what it is, as it happened.

And this is why I dislike sniping in this game. It is so unrealistic it's almost cartoon like. 

Just put the cross hair on the player you wish to hit and press fire. Little or no bullet drop or wind affects, from what looks like 600-700 metres.

And this is why I dislike sniping in this game. It is so unrealistic it's almost cartoon like. 

Just put the cross hair on the player you wish to hit and press fire. Little or no bullet drop or wind affects, from what looks like 600-700 metres.

I ranged the barn with the rangefinder.  Bullet drop was compensated for.  Barrel sway was about right for a prone shot.  Debrief told me the 2nd shot took him in the left shoulder, which seems about right too.  

I suppose the lack of flies and sweat dripping down my face also made it "unrealistic".  And that rock wasn't the best shooting platform, and I think i might have a blister forming after tabbing across from Staroye to meet these jokers.  I wonder what's for dinner?  Steaks and kvass again, I'll bet.  If not the game is obviously "unrealistic".

I didn't learn to shoot on a computer and I'm happy enough that there are currently enough elements to make long-range shooting viable without being "cartoonish".  I certainly don't want to see it nerfed into a myriad of range tables and grain counts just to satisfy they unnatural anal-retentive urges of the forum's quivering gun nuts.

Feel free to post some footage of your 700m+ point and click shots to illustrate your cartoon argument.  Better yet, a live feed of you showing us how it's all to easy would be great.  You know - put up or shut up?

You sound like you have taken considerable personal umbrage at someone making a fairly obvious point, one that didn't refer to you personally, and a point that has been raised on many an occasion.

At 2:04 in your video you have your crosshairs directly over the player, yet despite being 700 odd metres and even taking into consideration the zeroing you scored a hit. To me I find this closer to CoD's arcade feel. Is it possible? Of course it's possible. The question is whether it is too easy in it's current build and it's clear we are on differing sides of the fence with that.

Ultimately to comment on how unrealistic the game is (your running about and eating steaks) then to round on someone for questioning the realism of the game seems contradictory, imo.

You sound like you have taken considerable personal umbrage at someone making a fairly obvious point, one that didn't refer to you personally, and a point that has been raised on many an occasion.

At 2:04 in your video you have your crosshairs directly over the player, yet despite being 700 odd metres and even taking into consideration the zeroing you scored a hit. To me I find this closer to CoD's arcade feel. Is it possible? Of course it's possible. The question is whether it is too easy in it's current build and it's clear we are on differing sides of the fence with that.

Ultimately to comment on how unrealistic the game is (your running about and eating steaks) then to round on someone for questioning the realism of the game seems contradictory, imo.

Oh, I'm sure you're right about everything and your forthcoming long-range shooting demonstration will show everyone how easy and cartoonish it all is.

Oh, I'm sure you're right about everything and your forthcoming long-range shooting demonstration will show everyone how easy and cartoonish it all is.

Why are you taking such offence at this? Are you expecting me to pop round, pat you on the back and buy you a beer and say what a wonder person you are, what an excellent games player you are, then proceed to prop up your ego to an extent that if someone was to make a comment about sniping that you don't sound like a child refused a biscuit?

Really, grow up man. Accept people have opinions and that those opinions aren't an implicit damnation of your "mad skills".

Sheesh.

I'm not taking offence, spud - it's amusing watching you waft in here and airily pronounce how long range shooting is unrealistic and cartoonish, and when put to it you start getting all snarky.

In truth, I find it incredible you can post in here over a thousand times and still be that full of shit.

I'm not taking offence...

No?

In truth, I find it incredible you can post in here over a thousand times and still be that full of shit.

This clearly shows you are.

You have completely ignored the point I was making and taken it as a personal insult regarding your ability. Now if you are incapable of discussing this in a sensible manner rather than insulting me or taking a hugely sarcastic tone then really why post such threads on an open forum where people may hold alternative views to your own?

I have looked at some of your twitch streams, you are clearly not a kid and should be able to deal with things like this without resorting to schoolyard pettiness.

Edited by ricp

You have completely ignored the point I was making

Probably because you're not making a point, just a noise.

I've told you what you need to do.

All this does is prove you simply do not get the point I am making. What would posting a video of showing me sniping in action when you have done so already?

You, again, seem to be desperate to say "look I'm great at this game, you do better", rather than discuss the matter of how sniping is actually implemented.

He did make a point - that sniping was too easy in his opinion (and I kinda agree with him a little). There was no need to harshly dismiss him and be a twat by unrealistically extrapolating his comment.

Like, no offence intended, but you sound like you took this way too personally.

What would posting a video of showing me sniping in action when you have done so already?

It would validate your assertion that DayZ long-range shooting is just like CoD.  You don't have to do better, just match it.  How hard can it be?

Why the need for ad hominem, alpha? All ricp said was that anybody should have to compensate for bullet drop; which clearly you don't have to do if you can just put a target in the middle of your scope and fire. There's no need to be upset.

Why the need for ad hominem, alpha? All ricp said was that anybody should have to compensate for bullet drop; which clearly you don't have to do if you can just put a target in the middle of your scope and fire. There's no need to be upset.

Read the first paragraph of reply #3 again.

You don't have to do better, just match it.  How hard can it be?

How many times to I have to explain to you that this is not a pissing contest?

It would validate your assertion that DayZ long-range shooting is just like CoD.

Your video demonstrates perfectly the issue we are highlighting, why on earth do we need another one?

It clearly demonstrates that other than point and click there is little else involved in the current sniping mechanics.

It clearly demonstrates that other than point and click there is little else involved in the current sniping mechanics.

So because I made it look easy, you think it's just point and click?

So because I made it look easy, you think it's just point and click?

* sigh *

It's all about you isn't it? 

* sigh *

It's all about you isn't it? 

Not at all.  Show me how easy it is to drop someone at 700m with your CoD skills.

Show me how easy it is to drop someone at 700m with your CoD skills.

:lol:

Really? I mean, really?

* shakes head *

Fair enough mate, have it your way.

Take a deep breath guys, keep it civil.

To be fair, one of us have been.. ;)

However, don't worry there's little point in me adding anything more to this thread. There will be ample opportunity to discuss sniping in others.. :)