Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Depth

Got sick from eating burnt bore steak

Guys,

I have searched this forum up and down looking for this topic but have yet to come across it.

My friend and I cooked some wild bore steaks just outside of Vybor and I have come down with something fierce.  My color is starting to fade and I am worried I may die.  I am still 'energized', but I am also 'sick'.

How can I cure this?

Thanks a ton!

Citizen of Vybor

Probably Medium Food Poisoning. It happens when you eat burned meat. To prevent it in future, learn to cook properly.

Otherwise, the oh-so-rare Charcoal Tabs will fix food poisoning.

Boar = Pig.

Bore = Hole.

Edited by VermillionX
  • Like 3

Thanks guys! 

and thanks for the spelling correction lol

If you ever find yourselves in Vybor, give me a buzz.  I'm usually out in the field in between Vybor and the military base.

Best just drink till you throw up - after you throw up you need to eat some (and drink) to get your strength back, so save your food; A while later - half an hour -  the symptoms might come back (this happened to me) drink again till you throw up again. then eat and drink to get your levels back. But maybe I ate a bad fruit meanwhiles after the first bout - I was in a hurry to get my strength up and maybe didn't notice.. but anyways it works..

charcoal tabs are easier, though, I find them in schools pretty often. the 'medical' room at the top of the stairs, directly above the food room.

Edited by pilgrim

Everything has been pretty much said, also, pro tip, propane cooking is still bugged, use a fire, also when the food reaches cooked status, you have ten seconds to get it off the fire, so have a friend watch it while you cover him, me and a squad mate do this, works out great.

• Like 1

And another question, what is the point of a pan?  I can just place the steaks in the fire without using a frying pan.

Also, can you boil water in the game?

We'll probably be able to boil water in future. I don't think it's possible atm.

Pans and Cooking Pots can be crafted with a Portable Gas Stove so you can cook with them. Afaik, it's takes longer to go from cooked to burned when using a pot/pan.

Thanks for the answers!  Come up to Vybor sometime and we can all hangout by the campfire under the stars.

We'll probably be able to boil water in future. I don't think it's possible atm.

Pans and Cooking Pots can be crafted with a Portable Gas Stove so you can cook with them. Afaik, it's takes longer to go from cooked to burned when using a pot/pan.

That should be the case , but as said before , the gas stoves + frying pan / cooking pot always burns everything instead of cooking it right , it always comes out burnt even if you watch it ... So for now we all have to use regular fires , I can't wait until we can boil some water and cook some type of Stew in it or something :) !

Can you get burnt by the fire and kill yourself?

You can but there is no reason to do so because you ate something bad. Just keep yourself engergized and hydrated (bright green at least for energized) or eat some Charcoal Tabs and you will survive.

eat/drink until you throw up

This does not work - its a myth (it only removes the status in the character screen but not the actual effects). All it does is emptying your stomach and draining energy and water. Depending on whether or not you can compensate for this loss it might be even dangerous to attempt this (as it might push you out of the regenerating states you need for surviving sickness/poisoning).

Edited by Evil Minion

Here's a real pro tip.

Go to the medical facility at Vybor just north of the police station.

Get charcoal tabs from there.

There is a pond at Vybor (actually there are two) lots of streams aswell. To the south of Vybor at Pushtoshka there is a field with lots of cows. At Pushtoshka there are 3 houses with blue stripes, they spawn a lot of food.

When you're cooking, never close the vicinity. Always watch what you are cooking.

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 1

Last patch I almost died from sickness, and was able to recover. I just ate and drank, until stuffed. Then stoped waited til stuffed went away. Ate and drank some more. I kept repeating the pocess until my avatar saw color again. My avatar vomited a couple of times during this process. It took about 20 to 30 minutes to recover. I remember I ran out of food and had to run to a nearby vilage to get more. Once I go my color back I remember it did take some time before I was green 3 green bars though. I did take charcoal tabs early on when I first became sick, it did not seem to help....although maybe it had a really slow effect. Eating and drinking is what seemed to cure it I mean ALLOT too.

Getting sick you can die from really easly if your not prepared in game. Like not carrying enough food or water.

Don't cook using the gas stove, its buged to burn food. Wait intil they fix it in a hot fix or patch. You will get sick from it now. Use a fire place kit instead. Raw and burnt meat will get you sick. Make sure its cooked.

Edited by CJFlint

Uh....don't eat burned food? It will make you sick IRL if you eat too much as well. Charcoal is a natural emetic.

It says on the wiki charcoal tabs are what cure it. From my exp, it did not seem to help. Its may have played a part in my rovery though. My avatar was grey blury screen sick too.

Right when it came on, my freind gave me charcoal tabs.....nothing happened. What really seemed to work was eating and drinking over time. Similar to rovering from blood loss. So I'm not 100% certian at all if the charcoal tabs did a thing for me.  Maybe it did....just really slowly.

[about throwing up to get rid of food poisoning]

..//..

This does not work - its a myth (it only removes the status in the character screen but not the actual effects). All it does is emptying your stomach and draining energy and water. Depending on whether or not you can compensate for this loss it might be even dangerous to attempt this (as it might push you out of the regenerating states you need for surviving sickness/poisoning).

Worked for me. (not this patch - last patch). I did it, the food poisoning's gone. I was still alive a week later. Didn't use charcoal tabs. End.

You saying that if  hadn't done that  - the poisoning would have gone away by itself ?

Edited by pilgrim

Worked for me. I mean, I did it, the food poisoning's gone. I'm alive a

Did you eat and drink allot too during your recovery too? I threw up a couple times during my recovery and kept eating and drinking.....seemed to work more then anything else

Too me it seems like the reality in game is different then what it says on the wiki, when it comes to this. It seems like real in game sickness is almost just like losing a ton of blood and having to recover from it. Altleast the time I recovered from it.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

Did you eat and drink allot too during your recovery too? I threw up a couple times during my recovery and kept eating and drinking.....seemed to work more then anything else

Too me it seems like the reality in game is different then what it says on the wiki, when it comes to this. It seems like real in game sickness is almost just like losing a ton of blood and having to recover from it. Altleast the time I recovered from it.

Yes this is what happened to me - Couldn't find any charcoal tabs and so I had nothing to loose and tried throwing up by drinking till I vomited.. I think once youv'e emptied your gut, the most important thing is to get well fed and hydrated as soon as possible - like straight away. I ate everything I could find, I think - 2 bags of rice (or 3?), maybe 5 tins, loads of fruit, cola.. on a rampage until I got healthy status.. then after a while (an hour or 2 hours?)  I was ill status again - so I did all the same again and this second time I stayed healthy. I may just have eaten a bad fruit while I was stuffing myself the first time - I found a good area and I was steaming around eating everything I saw so maybe I didn't notice. Takes a lot of food to go from zero to healthy. Anyway, seems to me eating and drinking after you throw up is important, get healthy and hydrated status ASAP.

This DID work... so the only way it could be a "myth" is if you get sick and then the sickness goes away by itself ( so it would have gone even if I didn't throw up etc.).. but that doesn't seem like a DayZ-type illness to me.. I think they tend not to go away.. like an arm fracture does NOT heal itself, ever.. you have to DO something about it.

This all started because I ate 2 pieces of raw meat - was hungry and getting worried looking for a pickaxe so I could get a stone to make a fireplace and sharpen my axe.

Figured I had about 1 tree left in my axe, and a zombie had punched me earlier while my stone was in my pants pocket and the damn zombie wasted my pants and the "pristine" stone was converted to Stone=Ruined...  oh yes.... (good punch!) .

I think it's not in the game, but IRL sickness from eating raw meat should risk being far worse than sickness from overcooked meat.

I'm not complaining, but - if you over-cook meat you're not going to get liver fluke, just for instance (hehe)... and a lot of other bad stuff. IRL I'd definitely 100% go for overcooked rather than raw.

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Last time I got sick from burned meat I just ignored it and eventually it went away.

Last time I got sick from burned meat I just ignored it and eventually it went away.

did you go all grey and blurry?

binge and purge worked for me once after eating bad fruit accidentally. it took a couple tries but everything went back to normal after a while.

that was more than a couple months ago though... not sure if it's been changed or not since.