therandomredstone

Any News on REAL Snipers?

What good would posting one do?

It doesn't change the fact that sniping is laughably easy in fact it's the easiest way to kill in dayz.

This is problematic because in real life it should be the hardest practice.

But in dayz it's as easy as page up 8 times line up and shoot.

Posting just one would show us that you are not full of shit.

Its FAR FAR easier to run up to someone and blast them with a 60 round STANAG mag M4 than it is to hit a moving target, from elevation, from 800m+ with a LRS Mosin.

The Mosin with a PU scope is my favorite weapon in this game. As an owner of a 1927 Mosin myself, it just feels sorta "right" to have on in the game. I normally opt for the PU scope over the LRS when I do have a Mosin for the sake of historical accuracy

When sniping because a thinking man's game, I'll start doing it. I don't really ever "snipe" in DayZ, but I'll wander around towns and stay out of sight and line up my shots and just be patient. 

We talk about sniping all the time, but when I think about it...probably 80% of my player kills are within the range of...oh...maybe 40m?

Edited by Rags

Your not a sniper or player. You just want to make life miserable for other players. Your a griefer.

No...there are snipers in this game lol. Someone using the tactical advantage of being able to kill someone from long distances doesn't make them a griefer or a troll lol.

I guess it's just funny to me people don't see the obvious advantages of sniping and it's somehow some EVIL thing to do in this game

No...there are snipers in this game lol. Someone using the tactical advantage of being able to kill someone from long distances doesn't make them a griefer or a troll lol.

I guess it's just funny to me people don't see the obvious advantages of sniping and it's somehow some EVIL thing to do in this game

What are the tactical advantages of shooting someone in the back from 700 meters away, ruining their gear, and leaving their corpse there while you retreat back into the woods when they never even knew you were there in the first place?  Unless you're in a support role trying to keep your buddies safe, there is no advantage to shooting someone that poses no threat to you.  

What are the tactical advantages of shooting someone in the back from 700 meters away, ruining their gear, and leaving their corpse there while you retreat back into the woods when they never even knew you were there in the first place?  Unless you're in a support role trying to keep your buddies safe, there is no advantage to shooting someone that poses no threat to you.  

Advantages/Pros:

1. Snipers don't have to worry about whether or not someone "poses a threat" (like you could determine that from 700m anyway lol.)

2. Snipers have the luxury of choosing their engagements

3a. A good sniper in DayZ goes for the legs, then finishes off the helpless target to get unruined gear in their backpack and torso attachments

3b. Even if I do ruin their gear, who cares? They're dead and I'm not. It's a survival game. Now I get to skin them and eat their tasty flesh

4. If you miss your shot, you can bug out quick, or pursue the target. Odds are with the way the sound is in this game you won't be able to determine the location of the shot.

5. You can pin down an entire group of people by yourself

6. If there isn't another sniper in the group, or the individual you are stalking doesn't have long range capabilities, you are relatively safe

7. It's incredibly  satisfying to dome someone from 500m or more

8. With the addition of ghillie suits the sniper is more deadly than any previous patch.

I often get the feeling that some people would like this game to be about picking flowers and presenting them to other players.  

Some people are friendly always

Some people are friendly sometimes

Some people are friendly under certain circumstances

Some people will kill everyone they meet

Some people will kill only geared players

Some people will kill only players in Military areas

Some people will kill only after making contact first

Some people will kill from range with a sniper

Some people will only kill with a sniper under certain conditions

The list goes on and on and on

To wail on someone who doesnt follow the same engagement rules that you follow is actually quite pathetic.  There are NO engagement rules in this game unless you participate in places like DayZRP.

Sure you might be annoyed with some peoples actions (I personally dislike folks who slaughter freshspawns for no reason, but I don't moan about it - I kill them), but to be an ass on a forum about people playing a sniper playstyle is quite pathetic.

I like to snipe.

I don't always snipe.  

I like to view players from a safe distance

I like to decide if I will kill them instantly or not (99% of the time I dont)

I like to work out if they are players who are randomly attacking other players, then I have personal justification for sniping them (as can be seen in the video i linked earlier in this thread).

I often just watch people go about their business in towns and military areas without taking a shot unless something happens that passes my personal justification for shooting (Some days that may be something as simple as they are in range and a shot is possible).

This is my game and I play it my way and anyone who proclaims that my style is wrong can go shove a LRS up their ass.

Edited by Beav

Everyone's a threat in my book. I'm not even sure I can trust my friends holding loaded guns around me. I've blown people's heads off just for startling me while I was wielding a sawn-off.

But when you're alive at the end of the day, and they are not, well, then you did the survival thing better than they did.

• Like 1

Everyone's a threat in my book. I'm not even sure I can trust my friends holding loaded guns around me. I've blown people's heads off just for startling me while I was wielding a sawn-off.

But when you're alive at the end of the day, and they are not, well, then you did the survival thing better than they did.

Agreed.

I don't really get why "sniper" is like a bad word around here...although I guess it fits the bill as everyone hates snipers IRL, unless it's your buddy watching over YOU and not aiming at you.

• Like 1

Agreed.

I don't really get why "sniper" is like a bad word around here...although I guess it fits the bill as everyone hates snipers IRL, unless it's your buddy watching over YOU and not aiming at you.

You unfortunately are more than right.. i don't have enough beans for you..

People tend to forget that a sniper uses his rifle on a mission average time WAY more rare than a regular marines for example.

More than 90% of modern sniper missions are intel gathering, not actual shooting. But i think is that because how we are "made"..

We fear what we don't know (or can't see) and that fear leads eventually to hate.

edit: there is a legend about an old sniper instructor that at some point he said in front of a general: (who said that anybody can be trained to be a sniper)

- you can train many people to shot straight, man or woman, sir...but how many can be trained to get from point A to B unnoticed?

Edited by mugur

Mhm, waiting for 1 hour almost motionless in a single spot, listening to sounds, scanning the area, thinking,getting immersed in the environment is what makes "sniping" fun to me. Even if i only fire one shot.

I think most people would be bored by this after 5 Minutes. But to each his own playstyle. I just don't like getting in danger all the time, roaming the cities, exploring hotspots etc.. only when im in the mood for it.

I would like to have some variety in the dmr segment, but i think there's no place for .50 LRR with 400x optics in this game (MAYBE 1 per server).

Im not good with close range combat so I always take Mosin. Everyone has his own style of attacking, so stick with it.

And you are entitled to your opinion. Do you like KoS merchants? They too are "within the rules of the game", but they don't add anything to the DayZ experience. Snipers, in general, are in that bracket in my opinion.

I think as well you have missed the point of my post, I want to see more rifles, but no scopes. Let's see people use a bit of skill and judgement in taking out a player from a distance.

Good luck seeing the target through the barrel if you are trying to hit anything past the zeroing capability of that gun.  Accuracy would be a matter of judging how completely hidden the target is, under the barrel of the gun.  Maybe just keep both eyes open and try to manage the parallax?  At least leave the PU scope in the game.