therandomredstone

Any News on REAL Snipers?

I am a sniper in DayZ, I cause a lot of havoc from a far distance. Anyways I simply LOVE the Mosin, but is there any news on when REAL snipers are going to be added in? I heard that there was a "SVD" magazine added into the game without the actual SVD (which is a sniper) anyone have any news on the snipers? Not just for me, but for whoever googles and pulls up this Topic.

SVD's are to be brought in once the loot system is all finished. They want it rare, otherwise it turns into the Mod. So soon...tm...I guess.

• Like 1

It makes me giggle when I see kids say 'sniper' on the forums.  It's a word that we're all just saturated with at this point.

• Like 11

therandomredstone, on 28 Nov 2014 - 7:48 PM, said:

I am a sniper in DayZ, I cause a lot of havoc from a far distance.

Your not a sniper or player. You just want to make life miserable for other players. Your a griefer.

• Like 11

The Mosin with a PU/LRS is a sniper rifle, the bent-bolt ones in game were specifically made as snipers. The only real demeaning factor for the Mosin is that the accuracy doesn't stand up to most of the long-ranged rifles of today.

An SVD is going to be added at some point when the central loot economy is implemented, so you'll have a marksman rifle. As for other snipers, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that we'll get more ranged capable weapons in the future.

For now though you're just going to be using the Mosin as your go-to sniper rifle and SKS as a marksman rifle (or an AKM/AK101/M4 with a PSO-1 or ACOG)

• Like 2

I just want a semi-modern bolt action sniper rifle. The mosin is nice but it's such an old rifle. The SVD is cool, I'll definitely pick it up on release. Hopefully it'll take 7.62x54 like it's supposed to.

Your not a sniper or player. You just want to make life miserable for other players. Your a griefer.

I play the game, therefore I am a player. My play style is different than yours. But guess what? I like it. And I don't make life "hell" for other players, just those who deserve it. I saw a man getting held up by two others once, he had his hands up in an airfield, and two guys, one with an AKM and another with an M4A1 were aiming at him, they put him in handcuffs and were about to execute him, I shot both of them, gave him cover while he broke out of his handcuffs, and took what he wanted, from the other two dead players. I help people by killing others. I don't grief. I play the game.

Edited by therandomredstone
  • Like 6

therandomredstone, on 29 Nov 2014 - 2:06 PM, said:therandomredstone, on 29 Nov 2014 - 2:06 PM, said:

I play the game, therefore I am a player. My play style is different than yours. But guess what? I like it. And I don't make life "hell" for other players, just those who deserve it. I saw a man getting held up by two others once, he had his hands up in an airfield, and two guys, one with an AKM and another with an M4A1 were aiming at him, they put him in handcuffs and were about to execute him, I shot both of them, gave him cover while he broke out of his handcuffs, and took what he wanted, from the other two dead players. I help people by killing others. I don't grief. I play the game.

I stand corrected. Please accept my apology. As you could probably tell I have a certain disdain for a play style which wreaks havoc on other players for no reason at all. I spent many years in a game that, at the beginning, promised a sandbox with opportunity and achievement but it was literally destroyed with the rapid growth of such players. I see now that your play style is more in line with even that of my own, I commend you. I hope we can, someday, meet in game to join in an effort "make life hell" for those who deserve it...Tashtego  

p.s. A Barrett M98B would be nice...T 

Edited by Tashtego
  • Like 1

I stand corrected. Please accept my apology. As you could probably tell I have a certain disdain for a play style which wreaks havoc on other players for no reason at all. I spent many years in a game that, at the beginning, promised a sandbox with opportunity and achievement but it was literally destroyed with the rapid growth of such players. I see now that your play style is more in line with even that of my own, I commend you. I hope we can, someday, meet in game to join in an effort "make life hell" for those who deserve it...Tashtego  

p.s. A Barrett M98B would be nice...T 

Your apology is accepted. There are players in game that despise me, because I catch them in the act, or avenge someone they committed an act upon. And then there are those that are grateful. A player was walking along the highway with handcuffs and a burlap sack on his head, I was in the trees with my trusty Mosin, I looked about 100 meters behind him, and sure enough there were three players with masks on, shadowing the restrained player. Soon after another fully geared player comes up ahead, and try's to help the restrained player. As he is successful, he gets shot, and left there unconscious, I got out of my post, rushed to him corpse and said "don't respawn, ill bring you back" an epi pen, morphine, a canteen of water and two canned peaches and a defibrillator unit later, I told him he would have to risk a blood transfusion, I gave him a bag of my blood, and ironically we had the exact same blood type, I had saved this man, we tracked down those that left him there. We ended them miserably inland from the coast about 60 meters. I tested a Bambi to see if he was worthy of their gear. This Bambi passed. I was fully geared, he said "you need any food? I have food." I declined his offer, and led him to the corpses, I said, "take what you want." it turns out it was his second time playing DayZ, and he was very grateful. I followed him for two hours in the game, guarding him without him knowing, another player was about to go up and shoot him, when the player took a shot, I immediately took fire and killed the stranger. The kid goes up to the body and I say "I had your back, but this is where we part."

• Like 7

I followed him for two hours in the game, guarding him without him knowing, another player was about to go up and shoot him, when the player took a shot, I immediately took fire and killed the stranger. The kid goes up to the body and I say "I had your back, but this is where we part."

Great story, and i like great stories. Have my beans and post more when you have it.

Personally I think sniping is a very low level of gameplay, chosen by those unable to play the game any other way, and as such hope that all scopes are removed from the game. If you can hit someone from 500km using just the iron sights then you have my admiration, if you need a scope then you get my contempt.

I would, however, love to see more rifles (non-scoped) in the game though.

Personally I think sniping is a very low level of gameplay, chosen by those unable to play the game any other way

Personally i think its pathetic to look down on other players because they play the game differently then you. There is no right and wrong when it comes down to how to play the game.

I don't like snipers either because they kill me with a blink of a eye,  but i respect the rules of the game. They belong in chernarus just as much as the friendly medics who saves people with broken legs.

• Like 6

Personally i think its pathetic to look down on other players because they play the game differently then you. There is no right and wrong when it comes down to how to play the game.

I don't like snipers either because they kill me with a blink of a eye,  but i respect the rules of the game. They belong in chernarus just as much as the friendly medics who saves people with broken legs.

Who said I "look down" upon them? I have an opinion on that style of gameplay in the same way you do. 

Personally I'm all for variety and I see the place of banditry, but don't tell me an obnoxious kid who server hops, camps sniper hills and teabags his victims is no different from a committed survivor/hero/bandit/sniper. No part of the definition of 'fun' says 'ruin fun for others'. Like Frankie says, smack talking KOSers are just newbs who don't get much out of the game.

This is not to say I have a beef with snipers, it's just I believe the sentence 'all play styles are equal' is not literally, 100% true.

Personally I'm all for variety and I see the place of banditry, but don't tell me an obnoxious kid who server hops, camps sniper hills and teabags his victims is no different from a committed survivor/hero/bandit/sniper. No part of the definition of 'fun' says 'ruin fun for others'. Like Frankie says, smack talking KOSers are just newbs who don't get much out of the game.

Of course not. Bad behavior as a human being is not ok, and kids like you describe should get one warning and then banned for life. That's my personal opinion on that kind of behavior.

But this kind of behavior has of course nothing to do with the play style. Play style is one thing. Behavior as a person is something else.

I guess most of this kids play as sniper, but even so there is snipers out there who are respectful, play by the rules and just like to be a sniper. These sniper is of course not a "low level" like the dude i was replying said. And they belong in Chernarus just as much as any committed survivor/hero or regular Bandit. Even we like them or not.

Edited by skoms

These sniper is of course not a "low level" like the dude i was replying said. 

And you are entitled to your opinion. Do you like KoS merchants? They too are "within the rules of the game", but they don't add anything to the DayZ experience. Snipers, in general, are in that bracket in my opinion.

I think as well you have missed the point of my post, I want to see more rifles, but no scopes. Let's see people use a bit of skill and judgement in taking out a player from a distance.

Edited by ricp

Who said I "look down" upon them? I have an opinion on that style of gameplay in the same way you do. 

I said that in the quote you quoted..  And how can i not come to that conclusion when you write: Personally I think sniping is a very low level of gameplay, chosen by those unable to play the game any other way,

• Like 1

And you are entitled to your opinion. Do you like KoS merchants? They too are "within the rules of the game", but they don't add anything to the DayZ experience. Snipers, in general, are in that bracket in my opinion.

I think as well you have missed the point of my post, I want to see more rifles, but no scopes. Let's see people use a bit of skill and judgement in taking out a player from a distance.

Its not a opinion. It about respecting the different style of gameplay. You don't look down on something because you don't like it. You accept it like a man.

No, i do not like KoS merchants. But they do add something. They add a different kind of danger then any AI could do and they add unpredictability in human encounters. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone wanted to be your friend? 

You talk about skill.. What about the skill and judgement to avoid getting taken out of a player from distance? And if you really want it to be about skill, you don't remove the scopes. You add wind and bullet drop. Then sniping becomes a art:)

Edited by skoms
  • Like 1

I am a sniper in DayZ, I cause a lot of havoc from a far distance. Anyways I simply LOVE the Mosin, but is there any news on when REAL snipers are going to be added in? I heard that there was a "SVD" magazine added into the game without the actual SVD (which is a sniper) anyone have any news on the snipers? Not just for me, but for whoever googles and pulls up this Topic.

Sorry you have not really got the responce you wanted. The SVD, is coming soon. I think if it isn't .51 it will be .52. There is also the CZ with hunting scope coming up. With in a month or so there will be 3 or 4 options of rifles to pick from. The steyr aug maybe a borderline sniper rifle as well.

Mosin is a great rilfle and has quite a long range, it was at one point far more deadly. It got nerfed, the bi-pod was taken away and sway was added. So it takes much more skill then it did at one point.

As far as people dising "snipers" or you for bringing up that you play as a "sniper", Im not sure what to tell you. People tend to dis other peoples play styles on the forums, don't take it personal. Sometimes people want something to blame there own ingame failures on, instead of checking the selves and making changes for there own good. There is allot of tention becuase probably allot of them were victims of snipers ingame. The forums is filled with stuff like that I'm sorry to tell you.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 2

Personally I think sniping is a very low level of gameplay, chosen by those unable to play the game any other way, and as such hope that all scopes are removed from the game. If you can hit someone from 500km using just the iron sights then you have my admiration, if you need a scope then you get my contempt.

Personally I think using firearms is a very low level of gameplay, chosen by those unable to play the game in any other way and as such hope that all guns are removed from the game. If you can hit someone from 500km using a thrown splint then you have my admiration, if you need a gun then you have my contempt.

And no, I'm not looking 'down on you', I'm just regarding you with contempt. 

In all seriousness I understand your objections. Sniping, at this stage, is pretty easy. All you have to account for is bullet drop and travel time. Down the line, however, I imagine that factors such as wind will have an effect, which will making sniping considerably more difficult. In the mean time, however, it's silly to demand that all scopes be removed from the game. It's asinine.

Pay attention to your surroundings. I've never been sniped. I have, however, had an M4 mag emptied into the side of my head. He didn't even need a scope.

Well I think "snipers" or overwatch players are getting a really bad rap on this thread, which shows complete lack of knowlege. Infact much of the time I played over watch, I was helping team mates a great deal, by either giving them early warning, scouting, or firing on players that were up to no good were my freinds were unable to hit. Its also a great way to pin players down as well. Long range rifles are a vary powerful tool in group pvp. 

Also in stealthy solo game play, yes yes I play alone much of the time. I much prefer to have allot of space between me and whom ever is around. I also like the abilty to check towns, miltary bases/camps ect before entering them. If theres anyone there that apears to be a threat I can take them out, with out them even knowing were the shot came from if I have to. Honestly having the mosin keeps me alive much longer in game. The reason, I can check really well before entering.  I can get the drop on other players before they can me.

Also the mosin dosn't require mags just rounds. Its custom too. Great for hunting perposes too. Its basicly a scout/sniper gun with the LRS. So the mosin is not just for KOSing lol it has many uses. You have to understand what that is.

Another thing to consider here guys, is at short range, players with mosin are at a huge disadvantage too. Its bolt action and fires vary slow. It will probably be the case for future sniper rifles as well. Infact if you don't kill the with the 1st shot, your prob going to die if the person your facing is well armed. So you can pay a huge price for having all that range....ya gotta know what your doing. So its always good to have a side arm. I used the 357 or 45 for that.

So don't go knocking something you don't quite understand so quickly guys. This happens way to often on the forums. The guy just wanted his question ansered.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 3