Sign in to follow this  
Karmaterror

Can only carry gun/tool on your baack if you have a pack

So I was reading a thread in general and someone says "what are these items actually attaching to on our backs". That's a very good point, I mean when the pack is on it looks great, maybe like the packs side straps are holding them or we have bungied/tied them on with rope.

However when we don't have a pack they just float there attached to nothing. Unless craftable sings are added then theres no way we could store them there. So here is my idea to remedy this...

When we are a fresh spawn with no pack you must hold theone weapon you choose to take, wether it be melee or firearm. Then there are 2 optins to gain access to the weapon slot on your back....

1, add a sling to the weapon, a sling could be attached to any weapon and culd lie diagonally across the back, allowing only 1 slung weapon.

2. Get a backpack, this would allow for both item slots one either sideof the bag just as it is now. Some packs could maybe not allow these slots and make you rely on the sling. While others could have just one slot.Only thing is you cannot sling a weapon when wearing a pack :)

EDIT.....MUCH SIMPLER VERSION....

When you start you have no 2 slots on your back, whatever wep you take you have to carry in your hands.

Some packs open up the melee weap back slot....

Some packs open the rifle slot.....

Some packs add both! :)......

Some packs add none :(

There we go, simple and much easier to implement

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 4

Perhaps adjust it to apply to certain equipments instead of any backpack. Most backpacks lack the clear ability to attach a weapon to.

Of the current backpacks only the Hunter Backpack, Leather Sack, SPOSN Tortilla Backpack, Smerch Backpack and Mountain Backpacks are the only ones with the parts capable to sling a weapon from.

In which case, Holsters and Vests are probably better for this purpose. With an Improvised Holster/Harness made from just a rope, it would make it possible to carry weapons early game, at least until you acquire a holster or vest later down the track. Since, well... rope is everywhere in every shed and garage.

It does look unimaginably ridiculous to sheath a machete on your back as a freshspawn and see it just stick, edge-out, to your T-shirt.

• Like 1

Perhaps adjust it to apply to certain equipments instead of any backpack. Most backpacks lack the clear ability to attach a weapon to.

Of the current backpacks only the Hunter Backpack, Leather Sack, SPOSN Tortilla Backpack, Smerch Backpack and Mountain Backpacks are the only ones with the parts capable to sling a weapon from.

In which case, Holsters and Vests are probably better for this purpose. With an Improvised Holster/Harness made from just a rope, it would make it possible to carry weapons early game, at least until you acquire a holster or vest later down the track. Since, well... rope is everywhere in every shed and garage.

It does look unimaginably ridiculous to sheath a machete on your back as a freshspawn and see it just stick, edge-out, to your T-shirt.

That's it....those packs could sling a gun.....the others couldn't so its a trade off/gear progression thing...

Do I roll with a small pack that cant mount a gunand hold my wep...or

Do I roll with a big pack that can hold a gun and an melle

Do I roll with no pack and sling my wep

I suppose it would be more usefull if a stamina system were in so each setup could have different benefits/drawbacks, making it a tradeoff. For now more of a gear progression thing :)

• Like 1

I like the backpack idea more than the sling idea, simply because making proper slings for every weapon that also have good physics and animate well slung to the player's back would be incredibly difficult and time consuming for the devs.

The Devs have said a few times that they won't add slings, i guess it's because it would be difficult to make it look good when the weapon is in your hands. Needing a Backpack (or some vests?) is a good compromise because as you said the current situation looks ridiculous. 

The Devs have said a few times that they won't add slings, i guess it's because it would be difficult to make it look good when the weapon is in your hands. Needing a Backpack (or some vests?) is a good compromise because as you said the current situation looks ridiculous. 

Id take a static "wrapped around the weapon" type model for the sling when in hands. Then for on your back, one mounting point for the sling, then 1 (custom) mounting point on each gun so it looks reasonable.

I know its a lot of work for them, but it could be worth it. Maybe a more basic system would be just more mounting points on the char for things that unlock with specific gear pieces, pretty much like the holster. Just open these 2 slots (or just one) on acquiring one of a few packs   :)

Check OP for new simple version :)

Edited by Karmaterror

I agree its totally feasible, hopefully the devs will end up having some spare time to work on it.  

On this point i hope they change the one handed weapons back slot to be at the hip, that would look a bit more natural at least.

or how about rope + melee weapon makes it attachable to back, and Rifle + rifle sling makes the rifle attachable.

or how about rope + melee weapon makes it attachable to back, and Rifle + rifle sling makes the rifle attachable.

Yeah I kinda went that way in OP for if you don't have a pack. But someone said devs say they wont add slings for the guns so that's weni did the simple version based on what pack you have. It really wouldn't be much work for the IMO, no new textures or animations just avalible or not conditions on the weap slots based on your pack :)

"holsters and vests"

So, vests that would have sheaths for certain weapons on the back? Sorry, I didn't quite understand what you meant by that.

Aside from the general graphics and the special attachments:

One thing for sure,

You ought to be able to pick up a backpack in your arms and carry it. (same as tent)

And Definitely - if you kill an animal, make a bag out of it's hide, put the meat in the bag, you ought to be able to pick up that bag in your arms and carry it.

Edited by pilgrim

Doesn't really bother me. Most of the time I'll find a backpack before I find a gun. If I find a melee weapon first I'll generally keep it in my hands. 

I suppose I'm not against the notion of requiring certain bags to carry weapons on your back. Would be interesting, as a freshspawn, to have to decide between picking up an axe or a mosin. I'd like to see all packs be able to carry at least one weapon, however, regardless of whether they'd be able to in real life. Some bags should allow you to carry both a melee weapon and a gun. A system like this would also make ghillie users at a slight disadvantage given that they cannot wear backpacks, so they'd have to invest in a melee weapon that can fit inside clothing if they wanted to carry one.

• Like 1

I also made a post about this. But only about the rope+gun ect. I feel like it shouldn't be that hard. If the problem is when you hold the gun. Just make it so that the character have the rope under he or she's hands. That's just one more model. But then. I don't know. I'm not a dev. But I really think that befor the final game, they have to think of these visual stuff!