Bororm

Time to reduce run speed with vehicles inbound?

A 6 minute mile is being extremely generous considering the player has gear and weapons in dayz.

Even if there was no gear the vast majority of the population can't even run a 7 minute mile.

When i was in High School (AKA tip top running shape), I could bust out a 7 minute mile sustained, cross country, or a 5 minute mile flat out. Both of those were with racing clothes and racing flats on, and little else. I was 7th place Varsity on my team, just to show where I was in "ability". 4 years later, I can't do that anymore. Endurance running is a full time job.

With regular clothing, boots, and a backpack full of gear, you would be lucky to jog a 10 minute mile, much less sprint for more than 400 yards.

• Like 3

When i was in High School (AKA tip top running shape), I could bust out a 7 minute mile sustained, cross country, or a 5 minute mile flat out. Both of those were with racing clothes and racing flats on, and little else. I was 7th place Varsity on my team, just to show where I was in "ability". 4 years later, I can't do that anymore. Endurance running is a full time job.

With regular clothing, boots, and a backpack full of gear, you would be lucky to jog a 10 minute mile, much less sprint for more than 400 yards.

This and I hope the devs implement something. They have "stamina" listed in the road map so hopefully this will have something to do with how much you carry. This would also make cars more valuable and give you choices.

Do you carry a huge backpack filled up but you're slow. However, you don't want to use a car because it's stands out. Or do you leave most of your gear at your camp, only taking essential items and travel light in the hope of filling the pack. Are you going to travel at night by car with the lights off to do a raid on the airfield?

It adds a lot of dynamics to the game. If you get ambushed and you've made it to cover, do you eat and drink as much as you can from your pack before you try to escape - that extra energy could mean the difference of you making it out alive. Do you dump gear to lighten your load, or do you dump your pack, hiding it in a bush to hopefully find it later?

When your pack has a direct impact on how you move, it changes the whole fighting dynamic.

When your pack has a direct impact on how you move, it changes the whole fighting dynamic.

Kind of how the movement was before they made it into a twitch shooter?  Weapons, weight, fatigue, sickness, being wet, being cold, starving, overfed, footwear should all effect how our characters move in the game and is something I really hope the look into.

• Like 1

Large problem with a slow down would be even though you would be going pretty fast even slowed down, its going to feel really really slow bcuz of last speeds, as will result in tons of crying bambis.

I travel light anyway, most of the times I don't need a backpack if I find a vest so I don't think a weight system would hurt me. I also won't ever sit in a vehicle in this game, its not my bag. I do agree on the speed even though I like the current running speed, its easy to zig zag and run away from incoming fire. Stamina would be a nice implementation.

Edited by Miracool

I would wait until vehicles are fully implemented first.

Question:

If and when runspeed is changed, do you think they should change the zombies running speed as well? Right now some zombies can already keep up with a sprint for a short while, and slowing running speed would mean a lot of people are going to get chased down and chomped :P

Question:

If and when runspeed is changed, do you think they should change the zombies running speed as well? Right now some zombies can already keep up with a sprint for a short while, and slowing running speed would mean a lot of people are going to get chased down and chomped :P

You mean having to actual fight off an attacking infected instead of running away??  That's unheard of!!!  We should increase running speed to ludicrous speed so we can get to a military base and be armed instantly.

Well, my characters would probably agree with you, but as a player I do think the option to run should be viable. 

Question:

I imagine 2 or 3 players being chased by zombies and one player has a big backpack:  He starts to lag behind.

Do you slow down and help him fight the zombies? Or do you let him fall behind, knowing you can get away while he gets eaten ?

Like the old saying :

"Man who hunts tiger with a friend - never needs to run faster than the tiger..."

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

I don't really mind when they reduce the speed, as long as they do reduce it. Sooner is better, I guess, but it's not a massive issue.

And yeah, when they do, the notzombiesbutinfected need to be accordingly adjusted. I think players should be able to sprint (short distances) a bit faster than the top speed of a notzombie.

• Like 1

Yea 10 minute miles sounds realistic.

At the same time with full kit running at that speed outdoors I would be afraid of foot injuries.

If anything, I think it was a mistake to increase the in-game running speed to it's current levels.

Now the children are spoiled, and are going to complain when it is rightfully decreased.

• Like 3

Don't make any changes yet to run speed please until vehicles are in stable and we have helicopters and bikes too.

Then we can talk about adding a stamina system:
>running/walking with weighty items drains stamina faster.
>Using bicycles uses stamina, although only a third of the stamina of running.
>not having food or water makes your stamina slowly fall.
>Being fed makes your stamina slowly rise.
>Crouchwalking and crawling uses less stamina than walking.
>When stamina bar is empty, you cannot sprint.
>You can outrun zombies by sprinting, but your jog speed is slower than a zombie and zombies have no stamina and do not get tired.
>Boots lower sprint speed, running shoes increase it, no shoes/worn out shoes can cause bleeding at random intervals if you sprint.

>The "stamina meter" is invisible, there are just visual and auditory clues [ragged breathing, camera becomes janky in first person and running animation becomes floppy in third person]

when training for marines would happy do 5 miles a day jogging.

so its not that unrealistic.

you cant come with realistic in a zombie apocolyptic video game anyway.

the game dont need slowing down thats the last thing that should be done.

The difference here is running 5 miles strait at a speed of 18 mph, or running 5 miles strait at a speed of 6-8 mph.  Most high level athletes (let alone normal folk) cannot maintain a full sprint for more than 400m.  Even Olympians that run the 600 do not do it at a full sprint, although it's not far off.

Imo, the 18mph sprint speed should be maintained, however it should actually be "sprint speed" as in you have a limited amount of stamina that is based on your current health, condition of the terrain you're running on, and the amount of junk you're carrying.  Sustained jogging speed of 8-10 mph would probably be a sweet spot even if it's a bit faster than most people could achieve.  Game play needs to be maintained and I feel that if we slow to jogging speeds of around 6 mph (as would probably be realistic) it's going seriously impact the game in a negative way.

Large problem with a slow down would be even though you would be going pretty fast even slowed down, its going to feel really really slow bcuz of last speeds, as will result in tons of crying bambis.

And we'll follow the tracks of those tears and butcher them where they sleep :D

Yea 10 minute miles sounds realistic.

At the same time with full kit running at that speed outdoors I would be afraid of foot injuries.

One of my "Sergeants" was demoted to Corporal because he decided to make his guys sprint across a field in the dark in full gear except there were a shit ton of injuries. Broken ankles being the worst but you get the picture.

you cant come with realistic in a zombie apocolyptic video game anyway.

the game dont need slowing down thats the last thing that should be done.

The difference here is running 5 miles strait at a speed of 18 mph, or running 5 miles strait at a speed of 6-8 mph.  Most high level athletes (let alone normal folk) cannot maintain a full sprint for more than 400m.  Even Olympians that run the 600 do not do it at a full sprint, although it's not far off.

Imo, the 18mph sprint speed should be maintained, however it should actually be "sprint speed" as in you have a limited amount of stamina that is based on your current health, condition of the terrain you're running on, and the amount of junk you're carrying.  Sustained jogging speed of 8-10 mph would probably be a sweet spot even if it's a bit faster than most people could achieve.  Game play needs to be maintained and I feel that if we slow to jogging speeds of around 6 mph (as would probably be realistic) it's going seriously impact the game in a negative way.

In the mod running speed was never an issue and won't be an issue when they slow everything down a lot. Stop sprinting now and start running so you can get used to it.

In the mod running speed was never an issue and won't be an issue when they slow everything down a lot. Stop sprinting now and start running so you can get used to it.

Not really sure what you're getting at here...  Are you trying to tell me that sprinting at 18 mph should not be possible?

Not really sure what you're getting at here...  Are you trying to tell me that sprinting at 18 mph should not be possible?

Not for any length of time, no and certainly not fully loaded.

Not for any length of time, no and certainly not fully loaded.

Well then they should add stamina and weight system and we're fine.

• Like 1

For an average human being, hell no.  

• Like 1

Well then they should add stamina and weight system and we're fine.

Seems to be already planned for q2 of 2015.