Bororm

Time to reduce run speed with vehicles inbound?

Overheating is not much of a problem - even on sunny warm DayZ you can simply put your top in your backpack and sprint all day long without ever getting hot. Maybe when they include really hot days but thats not the case right now.

Still I think its a misconception that runspeed is fast because of the lack of vehicles. Its more a consequence of missing stamina/weight systems and survival elements. Right now most travels have only two things to care about - getting to your destination and getting attacked by other players. And the latter is rather unlikely because many players use server hopping instead of ingame travel routes or stay at the coast anyways. Also in fights having a fast sprint at your disposal is not a bad thing - but as some mechanics like stamina are missing you can use it permanently as a side effect.

However, reduced runspeed would increase the value of vehicles which I think is a good thing. But the features we are really looking for are those that give us something to do on our travels (loot economy, server hopping/suicide fix, PvE elements, etc.)

Reduce the run speed?! I think running should be much faster. It takes me forever to get anywhere. I say at least double it.

Just need dynamic stamina pool based on carry weight and current health condition.  If sprint speed varied by like 3 kph based on carry weight that would be cool too.

Edited by taco86

It takes me forever to get anywhere. I say at least double it.

You are right! Why even bother with travel times - we need a teleport feature now. We should also be able to teleport directly to the next weapon, food item or ammo box.

• Like 1

Game would feel do much better immediately with the Sprint speed halved.

For one the map would once again feel larger.

halved? 15 kph?  That's less than 10 mph, or roughly a 6 minute 20 second mile run...  I could do better than that back in grade school...  I can guarantee that just about anyone on these messages boards with two legs and not 100 lbs over weight could sprint well in excess of 10 mph.

Current sprint speed is like 18.5 mph, which is completely reasonable if carrying a light load and done over a short distance.  The problem is running 18.5 mph for 15 miles...

+1

Would love to see running speed finally reduced so all of our malnourished survivors that are typically carrying 50lbs+ of gear no longer compete with Usain Bolt.

• Like 1

I agree that sprint speed does need to see a decrease, however I'm not fully behind any sort of weight system determined by inventory yet. Vehicles are going to be extremely buggy and I have no doubt that walking is going to remain the primary means of movement. It would just make the vocal minority even more vocal. 

Interesting topic!

It think this as a solution: The more you carry, the heavier you get and less stamina you

can hold + also a slower buildup of said stamina when depleted.

Edited by StayAlive

I think the sprint/run speed is fine - just increase speed on cars instead.

• Like 2

The map already feels extremely small and now with the announcement of aerial transport Chernarus is going to shrink even more.  Movement speed is horrendous at the speeds we run.  

• Like 2

The game would be much better balanced overall with a more realistic movement speed. It makes the combat is woefully hilarious. The 21 foot rule becomes the 21 meter rule, and its incredibly immersion breaking watching some loon run around erratically at 23 kph, starting, stopping and turning on a dime with no momentum. 

• Like 1

Hehe it is as I always said, the sooner we remove training wheels, the better.

And as I was affraid, tons of folks (casuals mostly?) got addicted to warp 1 speed of running and they will now scream and fight back, when devs try to remove this unrealistic feature.

Gentlemen, it is the high time to remove these suckers and start playing as ADULTS!

qv0eEAc.jpg

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

halved? 15 kph? That's less than 10 mph, or roughly a 6 minute 20 second mile run... I could do better than that back in grade school... I can guarantee that just about anyone on these messages boards with two legs and not 100 lbs over weight could sprint well in excess of 10 mph.

Current sprint speed is like 18.5 mph, which is completely reasonable if carrying a light load and done over a short distance. The problem is running 18.5 mph for 15 miles...

A 6 minute mile is being extremely generous considering the player has gear and weapons in dayz.

Even if there was no gear the vast majority of the population can't even run a 7 minute mile.

• Like 2

I most of you are exaggerating the final vehicle usage - it will require a team several days worth of playing to get the parts needed to get a vehicle operational (unlike experimental which is found fully working). With this in mind I suspect the majority of the populous will be on foot, and not want to be penalised as reducing move speed just restricts player movement around the map, something that actually needs encouraging. Plus, the advtanges of vehicles are mobile storage, transport protection, weather protection etc not map speed. Otherwise the balance of power shifts too in favour towards those that are willing to invest in in time acquiring one as you just shoot around the map after each restart sweeping up the decent loot from crash spawns relatively risk free, this makes its near impossible for newspawns and lonewolfs to aquire this gear.

TLDR: Vehicles advantages are not about map speed, they're about mobile storage and protection from elements/players etc

• Like 3

I most of you are exaggerating the final vehicle usage - it will require a team several days worth of playing to get the parts needed to get a vehicle operational (unlike experimental which is found fully working). With this in mind I suspect the majority of the populous will be on foot, and not want to be penalised as reducing move speed just restricts player movement around the map, something that actually needs encouraging. Plus, the advtanges of vehicles are mobile storage, transport protection, weather protection etc not map speed. Otherwise the balance of power shifts too in favour towards those that are willing to invest in in time acquiring one as you just shoot around the map after each restart sweeping up the decent loot from crash spawns relatively risk free, this makes its near impossible for newspawns and lonewolfs to aquire this gear.

TLDR: Vehicles advantages are not about map speed, they're about mobile storage and protection from elements/players etc

Couple small flaws in you r logic here. FIrst speeding around after server restart in a vehicle will do bugger all for you why you ask , persistance its not going to be like the mod where loot spawns on server restart it spawns as the loot economy gets lower and it spawns where there isnt people around ( well thats how its intended to work in the future, i know its bugged to hell currently and most servers turn it off.

This is also the same factor that is going to force people to move around the map not the speed they can move but they will need to move around to find the loot that is spawning away from where people currently are. Having a unrealistic fast running speed (with unlimited run) does nothing but screw with gun play mechanics and also premote players running to nearest mil base and then back to the coast to PvP kinda like what they are doing now..

Edited by SoulFirez

i am agree player is run too much sped is crazy i dont understand because for many persons wat make dayz so much awesom is BIGGER MAP EVER MAKED IN PC GAME but if you make player running like 30 mile the hour is make map SMALLER i dont mind to run for many hour because i enjoy the travel and is a beutiful country

I agree and there is a video in the gallery that shows the V3S is only about 3 times faster than what we run right now but I fear you will be met with opposition claiming about it being too hard to find a vehicle to justify slowing our movement speed down.

I agree with OP but only once they (vehicles) hit stable and *Major* bugs with them are sorted out.

So with vehicles on experimental, and only a matter of time before they hit stable I personally think it's a good time to reduce player run speed back down

Short answer, to avoid TLDR: no, not now.

Now, the long answer: no, not now. First, because when a new item is introduced in experimental its spawn rate is greatly increased - meaning that when EXP 0.51 will hit stable V3S spawn rate will be greatly reduced, making it fairly rare. Second, because by admission of the developers themselves, acquiring and mantaining a vehicle will be rather time and resource consuming...this means that even if a lot of vehicles will be implemented they will not be a common alternative to walking/running/sprinting. Unless of course some kind of low-tech, low/no-fuel, low-manteinance vehicle like a bicycle could be implemented... but allegedly bikes and motorcycles are extremely difficult to implement in Standalone architecture, so let's not count on it. And let's not forget that the current vehicle management system is, according to Bohemia, extremely rudimentary and it's scheduled to be improved.

Considering that a stamina system is scheduled to be introduced somewhere in the next year (see the post in this forum about 2015 roadmap) I suspect that decreasing running speed will be rather uselss, especially now. Just to cover all possibilities developers could reduce it of 10% or 20%...but only after EVERY SINGLE mechanics/feature influecing the character and its general movement on the map are implemented and working as intended. Let's not give in to the vehicle hype: the V3S is little more than the first step of a very long journey.

My two cents.

DocWolf

Edited by DocWolf

Reduce the run speed?! I think running should be much faster. It takes me forever to get anywhere. I say at least double it.

Well bollocks let's just all petition for teleporters and be done with it! ;)

• Like 1

Well bollocks let's just all petition for teleporters and be done with it! ;)

Teleporters and jump pads.  Also fix the speed of zooming in, it's too hard to quick scope.

In all seriousness tho, now is the time to reduce the run speed before people get too used to it, which they already are.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

Teleporters and jump pads.  Also fix the speed of zooming in, it's too hard to quick scope.

In all seriousness tho, now is the time to reduce the run speed before people get too used to it, which they already are.

AH they should never had the run speed that fast in the first place. At the very least they should have been slowly lowering the run speed over the last few months with no mention of it in patch notes to ween the ADHD players of the addiction to speed...

• Like 3

Those of us that crawled 2 miles just to get morphine to mend a broken leg have no use for run speeds,

Those of us that crawled 2 miles just to get morphine to mend a broken leg have no use for run speeds,

Break legs at Balota on the damned barbed wire with a buddy in pitch black darkness, crawled to Cherno, get eaten by an infected, sad times.

• Like 2