Bororm

Time to reduce run speed with vehicles inbound?

So with vehicles on experimental, and only a matter of time before they hit stable I personally think it's a good time to reduce player run speed back down.  It was increased early on and I believe it was Chris Torchia who said it was done by the devs as a favor to the playerbase due to the lack of vehicles (I'm sure some one can dig up the tweet, but this was definitely said).

Personally, I feel it was a bit of a mistake, that players would get too accustomed to it and when it is reduced there will be quite a bit of complaints.  However, here we are and I think it's time.  The run speed is too fast in general, vehicles or not, and is an issue in pvp as well as the flow of the game in other regards.  You can run from some spawns to the nwaf in 15 minutes or less, making it trivial to traverse the map.

I went back to the mod recently and really the transition back down to a slower speed wasn't so bad.  I do think people are going to cry at first, but I think after a week or so everyone will be used to it again and things will feel better overall.

Any ways, thoughts?

*edit*

Here's the relevant tweets: 

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 10

I agree and there is a video in the gallery that shows the V3S is only about 3 times faster than what we run right now but I fear you will be met with opposition claiming about it being too hard to find a vehicle to justify slowing our movement speed down.

• Like 2

Just fix the walking uphill first.. then slow me down dammit.  :D

• Like 3

Agree(but add in a harsh weight stamina system aswell), these sort of changes for me personally are more important than vehicles (but thats just me i realize ill be spending far more time on foot than i will in a vehicle and believe these sort of changes will have a large positive effect on the game.

• Like 2

I agree and there is a video in the gallery that shows the V3S is only about 3 times faster than what we run right now but I fear you will be met with opposition claiming about it being too hard to find a vehicle to justify slowing our movement speed down.

On experimental right now at least they said there are a lot of vehicles spawning for testing purposes.  I kinda expect stable to have a large amount of spawns initially as well, with them reducing it later.

It could make the transition easier for those who would complain though.

Just fix the walking uphill first.. then slow me down dammit.  :D

This is something that didn't bother me much, until I went back to the mod and then back to the SA again and realized it really is a bit painfully slow going uphill.  Although a portion of that could also be related to run speed as well, where the difference is just perceived to be much greater because you run so fast normally.  It could probably still use a bit of tweaking though.

• Like 1

A couple people might possibly have a vehicle...so everybody should be slowed down as a result. 

Nope. 

• Like 5

So with vehicles on experimental, and only a matter of time before they hit stable I personally think it's a good time to reduce player run speed back down.  It was increased early on and I believe it was Chris Torchia who said it was done by the devs as a favor to the playerbase due to the lack of vehicles (I'm sure some one can dig up the tweet, but this was definitely said).

Personally, I feel it was a bit of a mistake, that players would get too accustomed to it and when it is reduced there will be quite a bit of complaints.  However, here we are and I think it's time.  The run speed is too fast in general, vehicles or not, and is an issue in pvp as well as the flow of the game in other regards.  You can run from some spawns to the nwaf in 15 minutes or less, making it trivial to traverse the map.

I went back to the mod recently and really the transition back down to a slower speed wasn't so bad.  I do think people are going to cry at first, but I think after a week or so everyone will be used to it again and things will feel better overall.

Any ways, thoughts?

How common are vehicles going to be? Also, is this a cry to slow down people? Can we just make vehicles faster? Last question, can you not get used to the speeds that they give you?

Edited by BigB055

Yup.

Let's put an end to the 30 km/h Sprint speed and perhaps get started on a weight and stamina system.

• Like 3

Reduced speed + fatigue system + weight system please.

• Like 5

To be honest, although the speed we run at IG is (relatively compared to our environment) unrealistic, I think it's a good speed for gameplay.

I mean I think of it like this. Day Z is supposed to represent a day to day life of a survivor, although obviously we don't play the game for 24 hours a day, so the game's realism and time concept is compressed. Instead of having to eat once every 5 hours or so like real life, we are forced to eat every 30 minutes to stay alive. To be honest, I think the run speed is pretty good at what's at right now. Going uphill is slow but then again in real life it is as well (seriously going up a steep hill with a 15kg backpack is surprisingly difficult), but the speed means that long distance is less punishing. To be honest, if I moved about the DayZ world at completely realistic speeds it would feel stupid. Again, in real life, the average speed long distance with a backpack is around 5km/h. That's six times slower than the speed we can currently move at over long distance in game (if your 30km/h figure is correct). 

I think the only change to the running system should be through a stamina system. Maybe a slower standard run speed could be introduced, but the current run speed could still be achieved with a 'sprint' ability or something?

Edited by MountGreen
  • Like 4

you guys are acting like vehicles are some kind of finished product. wait for vehicles to get at least some what stable until they reduce run speed.

• Like 2

you guys are acting like vehicles are some kind of finished product. wait for vehicles to get at least some what stable until they reduce run speed.

Why wait?

Faster the better I say.

If anything it should have been slowed and tweaked much earlier

• Like 4

Any ways, thoughts?

Vehicles are not persistent yet so you just can't simply rely on them as a main mode of transport, because you only have your hands on them for 2 - 4 hours until they are taken off you and sent to a new location. Vehicles are no way near full release and the running speed should only be tweaked when they come completely into the game (e.g; Persistent, Repairable). Your sacrificing fun for realism here by reducing the running speed. I think I will be done with standalone if they ever add the ridiculously stupid system of getting over burdened in epoch. You collect your gear and get overly punished for it by making you pass out every single minute. It just put more time into lying on the ground fainted when you could actually be doing something. I think a way to fix this whole fast running is to have a weight disadvantage so the more you are holding the slower you run. This gives a chance for fresh spawns to run their little hearts out at full speed to gear up and once they are geared they will be taxed with a slower disadvantage over fresher spawns in the game. 

I clearly don't want my travel time on foot to take even longer, because longer running = longer time not having fun

Edited by GriefSlicer
  • Like 3

How common are vehicles going to be? Also, is this a cry to slow down people? Can we just make vehicles faster? Last question, can you not get used to the speeds that they give you?

I'm used to the speed they gave us, but it is extremely fast.  They increased the speed as a consolation because of the lack of vehicles, the SA did not launch at the current speed it was increased a bit after launch.  It was still faster when it launched than it was in the mod, and I think that was a more appropriate speed than what we have now any ways.

Why wait when it has to be done eventually and we are close to vehicles on stable?

To be honest, although the speed we run at IG is (relatively compared to our environment) unrealistic, I think it's a good speed for gameplay.

I mean I think of it like this. Day Z is supposed to represent a day to day life of a survivor, although obviously we don't play the game for 24 hours a day, so the game's realism and time concept is compressed. Instead of having to eat once every 5 hours or so like real life, we are forced to eat every 30 minutes to stay alive. To be honest, I think the run speed is pretty good at what's at right now. Going uphill is slow but then again in real life it is as well (seriously going up a steep hill with a 15kg backpack is surprisingly difficult), but the speed means that long distance is less punishing. To be honest, if I moved about the DayZ world at completely realistic speeds it would feel stupid. Again, in real life, the average speed long distance with a backpack is around 5km/h. That's six times slower than the speed we can currently move at over long distance in game (if your 30km/h figure is correct). 

I think the only change to the running system should be through a stamina system. Maybe a slower standard run speed could be introduced, but the current run speed could still be achieved with a 'sprint' ability or something?

The mod run speed was 18 km/h I believe.  Keep in mind, the map is the same dimensions as the mod.  It felt appropriate.

As I mentioned though I think SA run speed was even faster than that when it launched, but not as fast as it is now.  Even that speed would be more appropriate.

I think an encumberance system would be good as well.  I hope no stamina bar is implemented though.  You should run a consistent speed, just dependent on weight.  I've played arma mods with limited stamina, and it just gets really annoying to have to slow down all the time.  Much more annoying than just running at a constant slower speed.

Here's the relevant tweets: 

Edited by Bororm

Vehicles are not persistent yet so you just can't simply rely on them as a main mode of transport, because you only have your hands on them for 2 - 4 hours until they are taken off you and sent to a new location. Vehicles are no way near full release and the running speed should only be tweaked when they come completely into the game (e.g; Persistent, Repairable). Your sacrificing fun for realism here by reducing the running speed

I clearly don't want my travel time on foot to take even longer, because longer running = longer time not having fun

The only reason it was brought up now is because in every past conversation about realistic movement and stamina all of the manic speed proponents use vehicles as the magical harbinger for a realistic movement change.

So now that they can no longer use that silly excuse the topic arises.

Wait..... You actually like the sonic the hedgehog speed.

The only reason it was brought up now is because in every past conversation about realistic movement and stamina all of the manic speed proponents use vehicles as the magical harbinger for a realistic movement change.

So now that they can no longer use that silly excuse the topic arises.

Wait..... You actually like the sonic the hedgehog speed.

Read up a changed my full opinion on the situation

I am really saying that vehicles have not been completely implemented yet and they are not a reliable mode of transport due to persistence issues. I go on to say that geared players should be taxed for their speed with a weight system. When vehicles are properly implemented I will strongly agree upon a change. 

Edited by GriefSlicer

Yeah, I'll make it clear that regardless of vehicles the run speed should be decreased.  The reason it was increased was due to lack of vehicles, which is why I think it's relevant to the discussion of toning it back down.  However, this should not be based around access to vehicles.  Some players, even with vehicles implemented and especially when they are made to be rare, will not always have a vehicle.  So everyone needs to get used to a slower run speed regardless.

This is why I think it was a very poor decision by the devs to begin with to increase it.  It's a lot more difficult to take something away from people than to give it to them, and a lot of people aren't going to like it when it changes.

I'm not opposed to waiting until vehicles are actually in, like Griefslicer suggest.  My personal opinion is to just get it over with though.

Edited by Bororm

Yup on foot movement will be the most abundant form of transportation vehicles implemented or not.

So why should it matter if the vehicles are 100

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll make it clear that regardless of vehicles the run speed should be decreased.  The reason it was increased was due to lack of vehicles, which is why I think it's relevant to the discussion of toning it back down.  However, this should not be based around access to vehicles.  Some players, even with vehicles implemented and especially when they are made to be rare, will not always have a vehicle.  So everyone needs to get used to a slower run speed regardless.

This is why I think it was a very poor decision by the devs to begin with to increase it.  It's a lot more difficult to take something away from people than to give it to them, and a lot of people aren't going to like it when it changes.

I'm not opposed to waiting until vehicles are actually in, like Griefslicer suggest.  My personal opinion is to just get it over with though.

I can see where you are coming from here. It was definitely a poor decision to increase, because mugs like me get used to the shorter travel times via foot. I guess with slower running speeds this will make combat a bit better seeing that people can't just dash and zig-zag around like sonic and dodge every single one of your shots. I have though noticed that movement speed has been decreased while holding a double handed melee weapon (E.g. Fire Axe). For me it makes the weapon feel more believable and gives it weight. This has also been carried through with the guns now taxing movement speed heavily when raised. One day we will all get over the speed decrease, but I do actually hope there is a day where holding more stuff = slower running speeds. I never want to see stamina introduced in the game as I feel it killed off Arma 3 for me a bit. You get taxed to a snail crawl movement within second making movement in combat just plain boring and to be honest annoying. 

Stamina is absolutely vital.

it also needs to be realistic too.

However unlike arma 3 there is no situation where you are carrying 100 kilos due to plate carriers and missile launchers so stamina will not feel as bad.

Then again there is always the option to not carry every thing you see.

There is simply no argument to keep the running speed as it is and it was a mistake putting it in to begin with as most people will be running around. If people can't occupy their minds whilst they travel from place to place then that's their problem. As other people have said, movement speed should be based on weight - ground too - you shouldn't be able to run through water.

The people that will complain the most are the pvp'ers who want to gear up and get to their favourite city as quickly as possible so they can start pew-pewing. These people have no place in a game like this. If the devs were smart with each new patch they would slow the running speed down a little.

• Like 1

Game would feel do much better immediately with the Sprint speed halved.

For one the map would once again feel larger.

• Like 1

As long as you have to park your vehicle on a hill to clutch start it or need three players to push start it,then Im find with running slower.

• Like 1

There's already the overheating system. Last time i went from NWAF to Berezino i had to stop and sit under a tree with my pants off for 10mins.

This slowed my travel speed down alot.