eugenharton

DayZ Vehicles (first implementation)

Vehicles , first iteration. (Experimental)

I wanted to preface this, as we are going out with vehicles this soon into their implementation, only to be sure that performance impact is as expected and we can continue on this course. Currently the vehicles (as a feature) are very rough, however the underlying structure is there. Ranging from visual bugs, to physics issues. You can expect anything. We are aware of most of them. 

Although the data for parts and some tech is there, the systems need to be configured. You can expect to drive the vehicle, use it for transport of you and your codriver from point A to point B. However for this experimental you dont need to repair anything and you can find vehicles easily. This will not be the case later in their development. We increased the number of available vehicles by a great amount so you can have fun and break them.

Many issues are part of polish that will happen over time. Some of them are critical, thus will have higher priority.

Please use our feedback tracker for any specific cases, with as much data as possible. It does help.

Now to the core of the problems that you can expect with explanation of each and every one (Most of the systems have been rewritten and the development time has been invested into having proper underlying tech for the modules of the new engine)

1. Animations 

Wheels overturning is visual bug with animation source and simulation itself . Its annoying, however we do have to ignore it for this experimental. As for other animation bugs. We removed the move in/move out animation for the release and will fix the issues we were having with its implementation. The wheel and doors are animated however the visuals themselves might change. 

2. Ragdoll/Collision/Physics

Most of it is tuning of all the knobs (weight,suspension,force, and a lot more etc.) and finding solutions for problems that are out of the normal range. The results can be go from minor to catastrophic, like, vehicle moving from shooting, player force moving a vehicle, not having right friction and sliding improperly,getting stuck and killing the codriver sometimes. But than again its just tuning (and that takes time). The system is there and its robust (bullet sdk).  Some of it is rare, some of it is much more common. Just understand that it will be better in next few weeks

3. Damage system

The vehicle can be damaged , however its rather rudimentary and only a placeholder effect. With more advanced underlying tech introduced later.

4. Driving model

The driving model (sliding and general feel of driving) is again matter of tuning. The underlying system is there and it works well. But it needs more time and dedicated work for the feel to get right. That is a big part of our work on vehicles.

5. Clipping

Expect a lot of clipping issues with player gear and objects around in the game. It can range from minor to major issues. 

6. Sounds

All sounds are placeholders before we set up a proper recording of v3s.

7. Persistence

Cars will be persistent in the future (once they are made of parts and repaired). This implementation however focuses more on data gathered from any desync or interaction with network code.

8. Crashes

Client crashes can happen, and will happen. Be aware that you can run the client with the option of -dologs to create crash dumps that can be attached to feedback issues. If you do encounter them please report and give us as much information as you can. 

I will try to answer some questions but I do have and update to prepare so please be patient.

• Like 29

V3S Here I come! >:]

first second post!

Edited by MadWookie
  • Like 1

Cheers! B)  :thumbsup:  Let's have some fun! I gotta say that was pretty fast from the point we saw the first leaked videos of the V3S. We know there's gonna be plenty of bugs and it's a placeholder, but this will definitely give a boost to data gathering and polishing of all the systems, while adding other vehicles as well. Fantastic. :thumbsup: Great job really.

Now let's have a good laugh and enjoy the ride! :lol:

Q: When will we be able to see a more advanced repair system come into effect?

A: I dont think it will be available by end of the year. At least not to its full design. Its already end of november and people will be on holiday during christmas. I expect early next year.

• Like 2

V3S Here I come! >:]

first second post!

Got rekt?!

Eugen, can you tell us where will we be able to find the V3S? Where will they spawn at and how common on experimental (per server wise)?

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 1

DayZ EXP is about to become V3S Demolition Derby.

Mark my words.

I would be surprised if it was not!

Got rekt?!

Eugen, can you tell us where will we be able to find the V3S? Where will they spawn at and how common on experimental (per server wise)?

20 vehicles per server, dynamic event for spawning, I will not specify the areas, but they are easy enough to find.

• Like 1

Finally, now we can have people STFU about when vehicles are coming to DayZ. xD On another note, YAY! Vehicles are gonna be great! Although I am sad for no repairing them and I love the low number of them!

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

I'm so happy the vehicles are almost here. The V3S here I come.  :)

One question when we find drivable vehicles are we going to do repairs like fix a flat Tire, Engine repairs , fill the gas tank. any of those being added to dayz  

Edited by Thumper1999

20 vehicles per server, dynamic event for spawning, I will not specify the areas, but they are easy enough to find.

Thanks.

So this is expected to happen on next experimental update ?

Yes, this is for the Experimental update today/tomorrow.

wow this may be a good time to install my gtx 970 and get back to SA.

jesus fuck, i just moved and dont even have a computer desk setup yet!