Sign in to follow this  
therandomredstone

How To Not Get Your Character Swiped

So my character is fully geared, I can do whatever I want, enough said. Anyways yesterday I was playing as usual, and I was looting a building on the SW side of berizino by the orchard. Anyways there was a server restart, it was 10-15 seconds in, so I decided to leave. I joined another server (was still on regular mode) anyways I spawned and I was on the beach, with NOTHING. I freaked out and I didn't hesitate to leave, didn't check my inventory, didn't try to go to third person, ANYTHING. I just joined, I saw I was on the beach, and I left. Then I connected to a hardcore server, my player was brand new and he had no clothes or even a flashlight, so I left that game too. I went to the main menu and saw my player had NOTHING. Anyways I reconnected to a regular mode server, and I had my player back. HUGE HUGE HUGE relief at that moment. And I continued along my way! :lol:  ;)  :beans:  :thumbsup: 

So if you join a server, and your player is gone, follow these steps:

1. Leave the game immediately, don't move or press anything else.

2. join the opposing mode (regular mode character gone-join hardcore server/vise versa)

3. then leave the game after you spawn in.

4. then go to the main menu and see if its a brand new character that is displayed.

5. then join back the same mode that your character got removed (but join on a different server)

and your player should be back!

There are many cases where this will not work. But in a desperate moment like this, there's nothing else you can do.

Something similar happened to you in the world of DayZ and infinite bugs? Post your story below!

Edited by therandomredstone

Just wait until enough time has passed on the server to fully boot up (odd times are the most reliable, like 9:01). Joining while it is not properly initialized is what causes the wipe.

Honestly, though, this should just be fixed so that either you cannot join while it is booting up or your character data cannot be overwritten so easily.

heres another tip

dont get attatched to your gear

especially when you are fully geared and looting fucking berezino 

• Like 2

If you are in a server and it restarts WAIT till the server time is updated don't just jump back in. The server hasn't had time to sync with the central hive(ever shut down Dayz and seen the sync message in steam?) it will reset you almost every time if you jump back in before it has time to sync. The servers that have SSD drives are good about not resetting your character. 

Heres how you get your character back. 
1) If you get Testing 1 2 3, log out the instant you see that . 
2) shut down the game and go in to steam and verify your game cache

MNEXOB8.png

3) When that is finished restart steam and 95% of the time you will get you character back. 
*** If you interact with the environment like get hit by a Zed or open a door and so on you will not get you character back ***

2nd
If you are joining a private shard server you will get that message every time, if its one that you have been on before you will still get that message because you are not logging in the the central hive. Join and see if you really did get reset or this the central hive message then report back.....

This all sounds very elaborate, I got hit by the bug few days ago, joined too soon after a restart. I just logged out, restarted the game, and logged back in (same server) all was back to normal. Maybe I jus got lucky :) 

• Like 1

This is a fairly common bug.  If you ever log in to a server and your character is reset just logout and into another one.  No reason to jump between 1st and 3rd person servers.

• Like 1

heres another tip

dont get attatched to your gear

especially when you are fully geared and looting fucking berezino 

I'm going to be attached to my gear, as long as I have my gear. If I die, I wont waste time going "aww man whyyy". Because id be focused on surviving again. If someone is fully geared, and isn't attached to it, that's how they die. They have no motivation. So if you at one point were fully geared and wasn't attached to what you had, and you died, its because you had no motivation. So while you are busy dying, ill be busy LIVING. Thank Youuu :murder:

I've tried almost everything, but there is no solid solution to this issue. People usually say switching to a different server immediately after you notice you lost your character is the trick, but this doesn't work for me. People also say to avoid freshly-restarted servers, yet I've gotten the problem when sticking to strictly 35+ player servers. The problem is so bad that I literally can't play the game anymore because I lost all my progress to this bug every single time I play. I wish I could say I was exaggerating the issue, but I'm not, it literally happens seriously every time I play the game. That's why I don't play the game anymore and I just stick to the forums. A few patches ago this problem didn't even exist for me, not I can't even play without encountering it...