joe_mcentire

Objects and their impact on everything - effects detached from us players

As it stands, objects can be damaged, totally destroyed or even repaired and fixed. You can use all sorts of objects to hurt others: zeds, animals and players alike. The one thing all these features have in common?

They are attached to the player!

Yes, items degrade and can be damaged...

...in your/someone's inventory

Yes, you can hurt others with objects...

...when they are in your hands

But what about the effects of objects, detached from us players?

No, items can't be damaged...

...outside of anyone's inventory

No, you can't hurt others with objects...

...when they aren't in your hands (bullets excluded ;) )

So what's the point? Examples:

- How about destroying a rifle by running it over?

- How about ruining a pile of clothes by throwing a flare on them?

- How about kocking someone out by throwing a rock against his/her head?

You surely get the idea.

Effects detached (or at least not directly attached to) from us players. So my quite humble question: 

Are there plans to "detach" these object-effects from the characters, are there plans, or is it just a net-traffic overkill?

Cheers

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 5

I like it OP :)

It would have to be reasonable tho...

for example an AKM (made entirely of wood and metal) would likely not be harmed by being run over.

Throwing a flare in admidst assorted loot should not harm anything thats not inherently flamable/meltable

• Like 2

I like it OP :)

It would have to be reasonable tho...

for example an AKM (made entirely of wood and metal) would likely not be harmed by being run over.

Throwing a flare in admidst assorted loot should not harm anything thats not inherently flamable/meltable

this would be the obvious design decision. i agree.

I like it too but...can it be done?

I mean in order to burn items close to a heat source,it's prerequisite to impement some sort of heat waves mechanic.

This includes,an item temperature mechanic (temperature degration rate/resistance/etc) that offers unique variables depending on material,size and heat source temperature.

The engine already struggles with what we have, yes I know it's not optimized yet, but now you're asking it to do more?  We'll have to wait and see if they can get the game to run smooth first before implementing more animations and information to calculate the effects that it will need to do.

I do like the ideas tho.

Edited by Caboose187

I like it too but...can it be done?

I mean in order to burn items close to a heat source,it's prerequisite to impement some sort of heat waves mechanic.

This includes,an item temperature mechanic (temperature degration rate/resistance/etc) that offers unique variables depending on material,size and heat source temperature.

to put it in Dean's words "Everything can be done, the time given" (analogous). I wouldn't even focus on burning of items for the time being, more on the overall concept. how demanding is it? how much more load on the server does it mean to implement such a basic system? physics-midleware might playing also a big role and such.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't stop with player interactions on items. Time, Rain and Cold that are all part of the map that would also need to take effect on clothing and books left out in the open.

Find a TTsKO vest in barracks shower room? Wet. Book at a bus stop? Ruined (and soggy) if it's been raining. Apple on a table that spawned a week ago? Rotten.

The engine already struggles with what we have, yes I know it's not optimized yet, but now you're asking it to do more?  We'll have to wait and see if they can get the game to run smooth first before implementing more animations and information to calculate the effects that it will need to do.

I do like the ideas tho.

it's basically the litmus test right there. how much more demanding would it going to be? at what cost? as long as they can manage to pull of some sort of modular system where you can seamlessly add and retract mechanics with their according optimization measures it might be possible to "get the game to run smooth first". however from what i've heard and noticed it doesn't really work like that. you can't optimize (to a point where all is running smoothly) after every single step. it would take them 5+ years instead of 2+ most likely. (in an ideal world however...)

Edited by joe_mcentire

Unfortunately, it wouldn't stop with player interactions on items. Time, Rain and Cold that are all part of the map that would also need to take effect on clothing and books left out in the open.

Find a TTsKO vest in barracks shower room? Wet. Book at a bus stop? Ruined (and soggy) if it's been raining. Apple on a table that spawned a week ago? Rotten.

you still have the freedom to draw a (reasonable) line. which aspects would enrich the experience, which not so much. I didn't even consider weather or time at this point. 

I am all for more realism/immersion, and I certainly like the idea. Some really big changes though.

For example, take some clothes loot, like shirt. If you shoot or use a melee weapon on it you would expect it to degrade and that, you would expect, should be easy to implement. However with a flare and burning it? That opens up a whole lot more. Does the fire get limited only to that object, should the grass also burn, should table or chairs it is placed upon go up in flames? Simple "trauma" damage should be implemented fairly soon. Fire is a whole different kettle of fish though.

• Like 1

Each item in this game is its own entity not attached to the player anymore having its own unique stats (pristine- ruined damp wet soaked and maybe contaminated at some point) I guess this means that it also is possible to destroy or damage items outside of inventories or world containers.The question is how to implement...I think doing it via the crafting system would be a cool way...specific items could also be made flamable ( tents, player made structures or plants), others could be used as throwing weapons like cans, stones and bottles. 

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 1

Each item in this game is its own entity not attached to the player anymore having its own unique stats (pristine- ruined damp wet soaked and maybe contaminated at some point)

That was the impression given to use by DH some months ago: you can add any new property to any new item. i thought it would open doors into possibilites beyond believe tbh. however turned out to be way more restrictive and difficult atm to implement such a system. (see banana in holster e.g)

I'd like to see this implemented to some extent.

But I wonder, what would stop someone from going through a town with a sledge/axe and destroying every item they come across?

But I wonder, what would stop someone from going through a town with a sledge/axe and destroying every item they come across?

that's really a design question and a bit a litmus test right there. are pros outweighing cons? i'd say yes but yes, no one might stop you destroying everything. you could, however, add noise and functioning zeds and there you have an convincing way to stop you from doing so.

• Like 1

Basic human decency, for one.  ;)

Have you played DayZ?  :P

Well, shooting people at random is mostly a crime of opportunity in this game. Going out of your way to ruin everything you're not taking is reserved for only the most elite of asshats.

• Like 1

Well, shooting people at random is mostly a crime of opportunity in this game. Going out of your way to ruin everything you're not taking is reserved for only the most elite of asshats.

Yes but you would be surprised how large their ranks are ... especially around games in this genre it would seem.

Currently? very little.

But once they add stamina and other things that are effected by what you do, it would be pretty dumb for someone to waste their time and energy destroying everything. And in doing so risk the chance of encountering someone before they even finish.(and thus being at a disadvantage because they waste all their energy/stamina)

Edited by Chompster
  • Like 2

stamina/fatigue is a "golden" balancing weight. Melee, movement, carrying capabilities even jumping (unlike vaulting) or climbing if these were to be implemented

being able to destroy items on ground was in design if i remember correctly. 

"in design" as on the roadmap`or in the mod?

This is one of the top things that the devs are thinking of, but not going to action about.

Once the system can handle it; these type of things (and even more) will be possible.