Cartoonrboy

What are Map Markers for?

Epoch has map markers. I understand their intention, but I do not condone their use. They diminish much of the mystery and intrigue a server has by supplying intel informing the nature and location of loot/vehicles/Ai. Markers encourage the mundane and dilute any desire of traversing the environment for reasons of exploration.

It is preferable for such a large and open world space to explore, and discover specific events/missions dynamically. My missions spawn in key locations such as high loot areas, army bases, towns, airfields etc. The missions are held in context with their location and are often discovered whilst players search these locations systematically. In addition I have wrecked vehicle missions spawning with plumes of smoke telling of the location of said event, one only has to look to the horizon. The same is true of helicopter crash sites and supply drops. Although an obvious sign, the smoke/fire provides almost no further details, encouraging investigation.

tbEPp6t.jpg

This is an apocalypse therefore there is no intel. Rely instead on visual cues and intuition to refresh ones status, instead of discouraging independent thought or actions.

Edited by Cartoonrboy
  • Like 1

Children have similar attitudes to prevent exertion. As an adult, I rapidly tire of any occupation I find easy.

Edited by Cartoonrboy

Map markers are there for one reason, to provide a better gaming experience overall for those who might not be so inclined to have a instant military simulator out the door.  It represents each soldier/character who would already have been trained in this detail/fashion, then allows the player to role play in the same form.  When you want to play sim and you want it quickly you always need options.  Providing players with the ability to go deep into a military simulation however not crossing to far over is the median accommodation to provide an in-depth experience in land navigation without forcing the player into a ultimatum of get here on your own or die, this is especially true in a leadership role which is always the case when not playing a multiplayer option in Arma. You want to be able to lead and you want to enjoy the game, thus separate levels of difficulty are born.  The further you wanted to test your abilities the deeper you would go into the position you were simulating.  Its quite common for simulations to have a base line which is comfortable for most then leads towards the more dedicated groups which may consist of even those who have already participated in said simulation.  All this said, majority of the mod etc like you have pointed out is all based on a specific difficulty level which allows map markers :).

Best Regards,

Steak.

• Like 7

Great answer. Thanks for taking the time to put that down. I'd like to differentiate the discussion and focus specifically on mission map markers. These are added by the server administrators specifically, or they are part of an Ai package (but can be switched off).

Regarding a baseline of difficulty; it's odd to necessitate such a premise particularly in a combat simulation, where it's possible to die through inaction as well as engaging the enemy. If you want to play easy; there's an entire industry providing instant PvP gaming. But DayZ/Epoch is an emergent open environment that demands a baseline of ability. I understand their function; that I'm not disputing. But I feel strongly that they ruin an essential part of playing the game in its setting, an element of discovery is more interesting and resides in our very nature.

Currently, mission markers act as focal points for PvP/PvE. I've killed whilst mission camping because I knew it would serve to attract players within my scope, particularly because it's content had been broadcast to everyone. Experienced players may know to be wary of these lures or may even make them an opportunity in the same manner. In that respect they actually make the game harder for new/less savvy players whom may not have considered that. I've also seen dummy markers; missions spawn several signs where only one actually contains the mission, sending players on a hopeless search. That is counter-intuitive to the function and wastes valuable time and resources.

In my error I concluded Epoch as an extension of DayZ. But there are subtle differences between each, which actually make vast differences in play-style and intent. Epoch is Arma II with zombies, not DayZ with build-ables, and it is apparent there is a bitter rift between Epoch and DayZ players which extends to discontent on either side. It's extraordinary that such different games emerge within the same code base. But I find it surprising that DayZ server administrators have not taken advantage of the versatility of Epoch to produce a DayZ style game, carefully extending the feature-set to provide enhancements, rather than changing it so much it attracts a different type of player entirely.

Perhaps the actual problem is where missions spawn. Instead of idly allowing the code decide their locale; usually within a field somewhere far from the beaten path, tailor them to spawn in context with their content. To list some examples:

Disabled helicopter mission. It spawns upon the airfield. The airfield is already a focal point due to it's high grade loot.

Broken down Ural mission. It spawns at one of the working repair centres. These are already focal points due to their nature.

Building supplies mission. It spawns within an industrial site. This is already a focal point due to its loot content.

And it's entirely possible to refresh the locations randomly (within context) rather than relying on one location for each event.

When approaching any developed area it is rudimentary to scope the environment to check for zombies/players/vehicles etc. At a glance it's clear to see whether a mission is there and a decision is made whether it's worth tackling. Buildings and fences provide cover for both parties and dilute the sniping of entire missions. It's more exhilarating and interesting than shooting 10 Ai stood in a field running to and fro. In addition, removing the completed mission statements force players to maintain their vigilance, as they should.

So I'll need to revise this question: If missions spawned in key loot areas, would we need mission map markers anymore?

Edited by Cartoonrboy