Sign in to follow this  
BillyBobJoe (DayZ)

How persistence works?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can explain persistence a bit to me...or at least try.

I've been looking on reddit, google, and on here and I've found about 5/6 different definitions. I'm not mad about persistence, but I am somewhat confused on how it works.

One definition I've come across a few times is that loot spawns, decays to a certain point, then unspawns and respawns somewhere else. Though is definition seems somewhat broken. By this definition there is a set amount of loot on each server determined when it first comes online. So maybe food will be more scarce, or guns, or ammo, because of the way that severs loot table first initialized. 

Other definitions seem to vary and talk about dropped loot unspawning after x restarts, but when does loot respawn? Or new loot spawn?

Just curious if someone can properly explain this. Thanks.

Edited by BillyBobJoe
  • Like 2

It works with magic, you have to believe in it to work

This right here :D

Coming back to reality, I never thought about this before, maybe someone more enlightened can tell us.

This right here :D

Coming back to reality, I never thought about this before, maybe someone more enlightened can tell us.

Don't disbelieve in the magic, it will never work if people don't have blind faith in the magical properties of the mighty Dev. Team!!

Don't disbelieve in the magic, it will never work if people don't have blind faith in the magical properties of the mighty Dev. Team!!

You sir are quite right, please, PLEASE, forgive me for my insolence :(

Hah! Thought this post was dead. Looks like everyone is in the same boat on this one: magic. But I want to know moar! I guess it's not a huge deal since it's always evolving but  I'd really like to know how the loot system works. It was very clear-cut in the mod, here it seems there is definitely some sorcery at work.

Hello, I know a lot about persistence, I'll try to enlighten you about it with my best.

At this current build persistence works fine, first of all, what is persistence?

Persistence is some (weird) and sort of magical thing which somehow doesn't let items properly respawn, atleast at this build.

Anyway, this part I'll write down is the part I am not sure about, if its completely true or not:

The main idea of a persistent enabled server is to keep dropped / spawned items on the floor even after a restart. At the current stage of the game, persistent servers mostly will not spawn loot. However, at the current build, there are some areas which persistent servers have loot spawning enabled, specific parts of the map will ALWAYS have loot. And most important after a server restart the loot will not get deleted, but rather stack up in large amounts, so you get more loot than you can ever see. This is why at some servers you can come across with a huge amount of stacked loot, these servers are also called "christmas loot" or "lootgasm servers" 

I am pretty sure of this part though:

At the other hand, the real intention of the persistence enabled servers is to use them as storage servers, when loot is dropped it should stay there.

The only place tents will stay after getting pitched is on persistent servers. At other servers, after a server restart is fired, It will not stay there.

At the other hand, persistent servers these items will stay on the floor aswell:

- Tents

- Backpacks with items inside, all items inside the backpack now stays inside the backpack, even after a server restart, the backpack will still be there.

- Weapons (firearms), all firearms stay on the floor with all of their attachments.

- Mags and clips will also stay on the floor.

- Protector cases will stay on the floor with all of their items inside.

- Ammo boxes stay on the floor aswell.

These items don't stay on the floor:

- All clothing (glasses, helmets, shirts, pants, vests, balaclava, glasses, etc etc)

- Melee weapons (as far as I tested only with the firefighter axe though)

- All other items (rags, sewing kits, grenades, anything, rounds alone will not stay aswell, they must be in clips / magazines)

Note: Persistence enabled servers are getting wiped every Wednesday, causing all items on the floor to be deleted.

Edited by Yazar8

Pretty much like above, but I have noticed that loot spawns pretty well since 0.5.

Also helicrashes dont spawn on persistence on-servers. Propably because heliloot spawns on ground and it would result piles of high end loot on every possible crash site after dozens of restarts.