Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Well Depletion

I really liked the bugged wells. I liked them so much that it got me thinking that wells could possibly have a lifetime before they run dry. Maybe 5k-10k hits or something. Naturally they would replenish with durations of rain.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

If they are going to run out of water after 5,000 - 10,000 hits, you might as well just keep them eternally usable. 

That's like saying your gun will jam every 3,673,238 bullets. 

I really liked the bugged wells. I liked them so much that it got me thinking that wells could possibly have a lifetime before they run dry. Maybe 5k-10k hits or something. Naturally they would replenish with durations of rain.

You do know how well's work right?

If not, they work from ground water.

This wouldn't really work it'd be a minor annoyance or a ridiculously harsh one.

Dry wells would be good though, if there are 30 wells in the map make like 5 dry.

• Like 1

This wouldn't really work it'd be a minor annoyance or a ridiculously harsh one.

Dry wells would be good though, if there are 30 wells in the map make like 5 dry.

Could be a random number of wells that are dry on each server. That'd be pretty cool. Maybe have the wells as a reliable source of clean water, but some (maybe even most) wells have dried up, meaning players will either have to stock up on water when they do find a well or they'll have to risk drinking from ponds if they don't have any soda or purification tablets.

Could be a random number of wells that are dry on each server. That'd be pretty cool. Maybe have the wells as a reliable source of clean water, but some (maybe even most) wells have dried up, meaning players will either have to stock up on water when they do find a well or they'll have to risk drinking from ponds if they don't have any soda or purification tablets.

So long as they add other methods for getting water that would be cool I guess so long as there was some kind of cap to it playing on a server where every well was dry would be sooo pointless :D

If they are going to run out of water after 5,000 - 10,000 hits, you might as well just keep them eternally usable. 

That's like saying your gun will jam every 3,673,238 bullets. 

Not really…the wells in Cherno would run dry within a month or two (guessing) on a fully populated server.

So long as they add other methods for getting water that would be cool I guess so long as there was some kind of cap to it playing on a server where every well was dry would be sooo pointless :D

Well, don't forget you can get water from ponds too. Right now there's no difference, but eventually drinking from certain water sources will cause disease (hence the water purification tablets). It'd be nice if wells were a pure, non-diseased water source and ponds had a risk of causing, I don't know, cholera. Given how common wells are, however, it makes no sense to drink from a diseased pond when a well is 5 minutes' walk away, so it makes sense to have a random number of wells per-server (preferably the majority, 60% ish) be dry so players are encouraged to stock up on water when they can rather than knowing that there's always a clean water supply nearby.

I also think that it should beimpossible to just drink loads and be fine for the next hour. I heard there were changes to stomach capacity, so maybe that's been fixed now.