threedogification

Results of killing (insanity, morality)

In the act of mercilessly killing, a person tends to lose their mind. Stress and fear can add to this.

Wow, stress, fear, and endless killing. Sounds like our favorite game, right?

All of these are the perfect cooking pot for a new status effect: insanity.

In the game, if you kill a certain amount of people in a certain amount of time, you will lost sanity. Perhaps 3 people a day, and you will lose a fair chunk of sanity.

With losing sanity, the world should become darker, and the ambient noise should become more frightening.

If someone mercilessly kills 10 people, their screen would look noir, and they would shake and even maybe cry.

Although these are severe, it will go away, but not back to normal, only to the equal of 1 kill. Over time, it will add up until your character has completely lost his mind.

To quickly regain sanity, one can retreat into the woods and stay there with no contact for an hour

Again, PVP is still an important factor of the game. If I lose my sanity everytime I kill 2-3 freshspawns then whats the point of pvp.

But Claws, why would you kill freshies? They haven't done anything to you and are only trying to start up. Now if they attack you, then just shoot them in the leg and leave them alone, it won't be you that kills them

But Claws, why would you kill freshies? They haven't done anything to you and are only trying to start up. Now if they attack you, then just shoot them in the leg and leave them alone, it won't be you that kills them

I'm sorry bro but handcuffs, burlap sacks, force feeding, cannibalism, breaking legs and lots of other torture methods were added into the game for a reason. If everyone was friendly and no bandits existed then we might as well go play club penguin.

Edited by Claws4life
  • Like 4

Ok then they should increase the threshold for this to at least 15 then, because if you kill 15 people you are definitely identifiable as a bandit lol

As caboose says its been shot down a few times, but I don't think any of us saw the  laughing from eating people coming, and this is in that spirit. I wouldn't want us to see our sanity level anywhere but like cannibalism its behind the scenes apart from maybe the status message.

I would lean more to providing first aid, giving food, even just being around people to help keep you sane. I would guess an insane person alone in the woods would just get worse. Also maybe just use it as a detrimental effect like hunger or thirst. No building your way up to hero or social god...your either sane, insane or somewhere inbetween. I am think of a good "realistic" way that lone wolfs could regain sanity though....maybe an anti-depressant tablet spawning in hospitals.

Thank you karma, that's exactly what I meant with this. It's not a status effect more like a subtle thing effecting your perception and other statuses

I dont like beeing shoot at, but... If someone gets the chance to shoot at me, he saw me first and this tells me that I wasn't careful enough. But if they add more/smarter/dumper infected I guess someone shooting in a big city will have to deal with a horde on his heels :D

Also, people massacre others without going insane all the time. Look at the middle east or ww2 or any time in history

Also, people massacre others without going insane all the time. Look at the middle east or ww2 or any time in history

And you're telling us those people in the middle east are sane and Hitler was sane?

Ok then they should increase the threshold for this to at least 15 then, because if you kill 15 people you are definitely identifiable as a bandit lol

Says who? I've killed about that many and I am definitely not a bandit.

As caboose says its been shot down a few times, but I don't think any of us saw the  laughing from eating people coming, and this is in that spirit. I wouldn't want us to see our sanity level anywhere but like cannibalism its behind the scenes apart from maybe the status message.

Except the laughing/crying is the symptom of a brain disease, not a measure of your sanity.

Except the crying is the symptom of a brain disease, 

You mean to tell me that each time girls and woman break into tears for no good reason is not because they :

A. Use it as emotional extortion 

B. Are emotionally unstable

Bur rather have brain disease ? Damn seems like 99,9% of female population should visit neurologist asap. 

As for OP

NO!

Stop telling others how to play. 

And you're telling us those people in the middle east are sane and Hitler was sane?

They might be delusional but who knows, they're definently not full blown schizos after killing people. My point is morality is thrown out the window pretty quickly once people don't have food to eat and society collapses. A sanity and morality feature is plain stupid. It should be up to me to decide what my moral limits are in this game not some developer. In DayZ I dont go looking for people to kill but if I see a potential threat I Won't think twice about eliminating that threat.

They might be delusional but who knows, they're definently not full blown schizos after killing people. My point is morality is thrown out the window pretty quickly once people don't have food to eat and society collapses. A sanity and morality feature is plain stupid. It should be up to me to decide what my moral limits are in this game not some developer. In DayZ I dont go looking for people to kill but if I see a potential threat I Won't think twice about eliminating that threat.

Oh I very much agree. I was more debating about Hitler being sane

If this were the realistic case, certainly Simo Häyhä would have been a complete mad hatter.

@caboose, while in layman's terms you could call them insane, I'm willing to bet that a good amount of those people are simply brainwashed, not necessarily insane in the technical sense. Hitler is arguable, but for the most part even Nazis were mentally stable. Not that they weren't ruthless killers, but they didn't just go off on a rampage and kill random people; (except for the ones who did.) they were actually quite friendly if you were fortunate enough to be in good terms with them.

Edited by Geckofrog7

Oh I very much agree. I was more debating about Hitler being sane

Hitler was a madman with a Napoleon/Ramses sized ego who sent millions of his own people (who he supposedly cared so much about...) to march to their deaths because he wanted an Empire. He was a genius when it came to politics and only started losing it towards the end of the war. Many soldiers who committed atrocities (on both sides) never lost their sanity like OP is suggesting.

Edited by Jhunt7507

In the act of mercilessly killing, a person tends to lose their mind. 

May i see your clinical proof of this statement?

Insanity is still a very subjective word. It is far from a black and white "you're insane".

What IS insanity anyway? Scholars still debate it today. The only real definition we have is  "When one deviates from the social norm or what society deems acceptable behavior

Guess what?

When the moral safety-check that society imposes on us is removed through natural disaster, war, famine, and plague, morality also loses its grip on us and we do terrible things to each other.

We cannot even begin to imagine what would happen to humanity if a dayz scenario actually happened, but i am 100% that it would be even worse than the game is now.

When people are dehumanized killing them becomes a non-event. this has been repeatedly demonstrated in countless wars. Every Government/War Leader knows the first step in any military action/campaign is to dehumanize the enemy so that killing them is not like killing people. 

The genocides earth has witnessed both past AND present are made possible because the aggressors don't see the victims as human.

Killing is not about insanity, its about personal perception/belief.

That is NOT something you can model in a video game.

So, to conclude... people do NOT "tend" to go insane when they kill others.

Edited by Bubbajones
  • Like 3

What IS insanity anyway? 

Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy.

You walked into that one. 

When people are dehumanized killing them becomes a non-event. this has been repeatedly demonstrated in countless wars. Every Government/War Leader knows the first step in any military action/campaign is to dehumanize the enemy so that killing them is not like killing people. 

The genocides earth has witnessed both past AND present are made possible because the aggressors don't see the victims as human.

This. 

Except the laughing/crying is the symptom of a brain disease, not a measure of your sanity.

yeah I get that, but its a audio effect from a gameplay choice. I see them as very similar because if you choose to eat someone you get the laughing ect, same would go for sanity...choose to kill someone umpteen times and get some form of audio. Both systems share that spirit of choice leading to effect, not that they are portraying the same symptom :)

Ok, now that I see that you guys who are against this have no morals in life, I'll add this:

• This was a suggestion

• I didn't want a flame war

• Constructive criticism is wanted, not a "lmao this is dumb lol this is my irrefutable opinion"

• I wanted you guys to help implement a morality type system not based on the mod, but rather, people irl who are ptsd from killing innocent people

•This wouldn't affect your play style at all if you played it right, you can still be a bandit and kill 10 people a day and not have insanity set in, only a moral drop

Thanks for all of the hate and arguments you guys