Sign in to follow this  
Rags!

Give Us the Option to "Give" Players Items

DayZ should implement some sort of command, animation, or option to simple put things into the backpacks of another player, or place them in their inventory. 

Dropping things on the ground to give them to somebody is very clumsy. It makes no real sense and it takes up unnecessary time. It is the cause of much frustration as well, since things do not often drop where you are standing and items like to teleport to the outside of buildings, different floors, or simply phase out of the current plane of existence so Booker DeWitt can wear them to his next racial equality conference in a world where the grass is blue and hamburgers eat people. 

Here's some ideas on how it would work...

- When facing a player, open your inventory. Right clicking on an object you have will pop up a new option, but only when you are looking at a stationary player within arm's length of you: 

Give 7.62 x 51mm to Rags

Give Green Ushanka to Rags

Give Pen to Rags

Give Rags to Rags

This will begin an animation that will only last a second, maybe two, maybe three. During this animation, the receiving player will receive a notification...

Rags is giving you something

At this time, the player may cancel the gesticulation by simply moving. Any movement will cancel the giving animation and the process will fail. Changing items in your hands will also cancel the gift. A player can, however, simultaneously give you an item back at the same time. This would cut down on time spent giving items, especially if there is only one item you wish to give somebody. A failure message can optionally be displayed...

Rags is moving

Rags has declined 

Rags is moving too much to give him the item

Cannot give Rags the Green Ushanka

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat

Items will be placed into the first open space in the person's inventory that has enough space. If there is not enough space another message can be displayed...

There is not enough room in Rags' inventory

Rags cannot carry the Green Ushanka

Rags doesn't have enough space

There is no room for the Green Ushanka

Hopefully, this will make it into the game. This will act as an option to dropping items on the ground, which will still be doable. It's only a suggestion, and I don't think it's immensely elaborate. Hopefully an idea like this will make it's presence in the game so that we all don't end up staring at the ground looking like a bunch of lemons. 

• Like 4

A better idea would be a "animation" button, like the wave, flip off, hands up ect

however this makes you hold out your hand, and whatever item being held can be taken out of the player extending his hand.

• Like 4

It is a must do, and the sooner the better. I don't know if it is that hard and long to implement.

Btw, I think instead of giving from backpack to backpack, the player should take the object he want to give in hand. Then if there is a player near enough the message pop up in the action menu.

I'd like to be able to unpin a grenade and place it in someones backpack, with or without their knowledge. Then GTFO while they either ditch the backpack or end up painting the surroundings red.

• Like 1

Animations for:

Digging through your backpack

pulling/placing items in your backpack

picking up items/objects/weapons

wiping forehead when getting hot

rubbing arms/shivering when getting cold

holding the head of your enemy while they are on their knees begging for mercy before you slit their throat because they attempted to steal your can opener so they could open a can of peaches because they were starving and they were friendly but were scared because you looked like someone who had just ate another human which in turn you chop them up and cook them and have a good meal.

etc

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

I'd like to be able to unpin a grenade and place it in someones backpack, with or without their knowledge. Then GTFO while they either ditch the backpack or end up painting the surroundings red.

Yeah, we all played Fallout3, didn't we :D?

hard and long

Had to.  :P

On topic: I don't exactly dislike the idea, but I just feel that simply placing the item on the ground for someone to pick up is both quicker & more practical. Yes, we've all placed items on the ground that disappear & are lost forever (alpha), but this will be fixed eventually. I"d rather see the devs optimize the game so that we can efficiently trade items, opposed to making a trading system.

• Like 1

Had to.  :P

On topic: I don't exactly dislike the idea, but I just feel that simply placing the item on the ground for someone to pick up is both quicker & more practical. Yes, we've all placed items on the ground that disappear & are lost forever (alpha), but this will be fixed eventually. I"d rather see the devs optimize the game so that we can efficiently trade items, opposed to making a trading system.

Totally agree but the optimizing will most likely come once beta hits.  I still would like to see more animations such as the ones posted above but it is definitely not something I would want to be a priority.

I still would like to see more animations such as the ones posted above but it is definitely not something I would want to be a priority.

I agree as well. I've especially wanted to see an animation when accessing the inventory similar to the way they did it in The Last of Us. Open inventory - character removes backpack & places it on the ground - character continues to rummage through backpack (looped animation) until the player closes the inventory. Upon closing the inventory, your character then stands back up & puts the backpack back on. But as you've said Caboose, not exactly priority.

Edited by blunce

Animations for:

Digging through your backpack

pulling/placing items in your backpack

picking up items/objects/weapons

wiping forehead when getting hot

rubbing arms/shivering when getting cold

holding the head of your enemy while they are on their knees begging for mercy before you slit their throat because they attempted to steal your can opener so they could open a can of peaches because they were starving and they were friendly but were scared because you looked like someone who had just ate another human which in turn you chop them up and cook them and have a good meal.

etc

Awesome....... just awesome

Yeah, we all played Fallout3, didn't we :D?

Never played any of the Fallout series, now I know you can do this in it, I may have to buy it and play.

The whole fallout series is fantastic on so many levels..... so great. Wont let you kill everyone in 3 and new vegas tho kids and storyline npcs seem to be invincible.... only disapointment.

Give this man (OP) a job!

A better idea would be a "animation" button, like the wave, flip off, hands up ect

however this makes you hold out your hand, and whatever item being held can be taken out of the player extending his hand.

this seems like a useless step, HOWEVER it would also be a great addition to the game.

Hold out gum to your friends, they can each take one (or not)

Edited by Ugly