jiggyjoe

Cannibals Recognition Suggestion

On a couple posts on the forums i've noticed that some proportion of the players would like to VISUALLY be able to tell if a person his a cannibal in-game... There are simple things that could be implemented on that level, 

Something like blood stains on the clothing, blood around the mouth and on hands would be a rather fair enough and realistic visual recognition of a cannibal...

Giving zombies some dark blood (Coagulated) and human that natural red blood would add to immersion IMO... Skinning a human would obviously leave blood splatter all over the gear / face ! 

What are the community's thoughts on this ?

• Like 1

On a couple posts on the forums i've noticed that some proportion of the players would like to VISUALLY be able to tell if a person his a cannibal in-game... There are simple things that could be implemented on that level, 

Something like blood stains on the clothing, blood around the mouth and on hands would be a rather fair enough and realistic visual recognition of a cannibal...

Giving zombies some dark blood (Coagulated) and human that natural red blood would add to immersion IMO... Skinning a human would obviously leave blood splatter all over the gear / face ! 

Apparently they laugh maniacally which, again, has apparently been implemented 

Killing a zombie with a fire axe would, realistically, also leave blood splatter all over the gear/face. And human blood goes a dark brown pretty fast if you've ever scraped your knee and got it on your clothes.

The suggestion of cannibals shaking visibly, plus the random laughs implemented, seem good to me.

Edited by bobotype3334
  • Like 1

I agree, I believe that we should have a way to distinguish cannibals easier, but most smart cannibals will cook their food before eating it, lest they get sick. I tried my hand at cannibalism and ate 3 fresh spawns in elektro. Mmm tasty. I believe that they will work on implementing visual cues and signs of damage once they implement the new renderer. TL;DR The Dev team is diligent in developing this beast of a game

There is literally no way to tell a cannibal from a non cannibal irl. Despite what you may have seen in the Book of Eli, the "shakes" ie Kuru, Creutzfeldt-Jakob, etc. is not very common. Some cases of CJD are inherited, and the transmissible varities are often from contaminated medical products. If it is from ingestion (such as Kuru, which was only really found on new guinea, and now nearly gone anyway), this only occurs from eating the CNS. You're eating steaks, not the CNS. There is literally no way to get "the shakes". And why would cannibals be covered in blood? Can't they properly butcher, cook, and eat people like any other civilized person?

I think the best way to tell a cannibal apart from a non-cannibal is this: after they shoot you, do they try to eat you?

• Like 7

I don't really support this. If I wanted to be a cannibal in this game, I'd want to do it with some secrecy, not have blood splattered all over my clothes. I can see maybe the blood on the face being better cause you could just cover that up with a mask, most likely.

Having something that identifies cannibals (or bandits) is the same as destroying a small but important apsect of metagaming in Dayz....whats the next move, names over players heads?...maybe a playerprofile u can access...no thx.

When u meet someone u dont know anything about them...finding out who they are is part of playing the game. Its like putting a minimap in the corner so u can see where u are all the time...u just make the game more convenient and easier by replacing something that was part of the gameplay (finding ur way) with something thats automated (minimap/GPS).  

How do u find out if the guy u meet is a cannibal...maybe he tells u, maybe he wants to eat u, maybe u kill him and find human flesh in his bag...maybe u two become friends and he tells u later and u have to decide if u wanna continue be friends...

...or u could just have something that tells u immediatly that hes a cannibal and therby destroying all the potential metagaming that I mentioned.

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 5

I like the idea of blood on hands and cloths, but not just for cannibalism....for any action where it could happen. Would add another layer of tension when you have to question the guy you just met as to why he has blood on his hands/cloths/face. There should be subtle ways to tell if they lieing like blood on face means some melee combat happened, so if they sayits all just from searching body that was shot they probs not being honest. Really like having a diff blood colour (only slight though) for zeds.....just adds to the detective work when meeting someone  :)

• Like 1

No I don't think there should be visual clues. You should not necessarily be able to recognise a cannibal just as any other playstyle even though there might be more authentic drawback giving them away.

Though in gameplay terms there should be a drawback to eating human meat - and thats what "brain disease" is. The chance to get it from eating uninfected people or cooked/burned human meat should be pretty low though. Its not true that steaks would not infect you - its a much lower chance but still a completely different thing from "no chance" (same applies to cooked/burned meat - prions are tough). another thing is getting other diseases the victim had when eating hi/her flesh.

Given the way PC games in general and DayZ in particular work there has to be some drawback attached to eating human meat and introducing something like Kuru is a good idea. But: It should be more of a risk instead of a punishment. The brain disease should exist and it should have severe effects but it should not be too common (add more negative effects but greatly reduce the chance when eating non-diseased flesh). Most cannibals should not have brain disease but there should always be a small risk that makes you think: "Should I really eat this guy?"

In short:

1. No visual or other clues for cannibalism in general.
  2. Brain disease should be much harder to get if not eating an already infected human.
  3. Brain disease should stay permanent but also get more severe effects and stages.
  • Like 2

There is literally no way to tell a cannibal from a non cannibal irl. Despite what you may have seen in the Book of Eli, the "shakes" ie Kuru, Creutzfeldt-Jakob, etc. is not very common. Some cases of CJD are inherited, and the transmissible varities are often from contaminated medical products. If it is from ingestion (such as Kuru, which was only really found on new guinea, and now nearly gone anyway), this only occurs from eating the CNS. You're eating steaks, not the CNS. There is literally no way to get "the shakes". And why would cannibals be covered in blood? Can't they properly butcher, cook, and eat people like any other civilized person?

I think the best way to tell a cannibal apart from a non-cannibal is this: after they shoot you, do they try to eat you?

Like you say, IRL of course they can butcher properly, but on an post-apocalyptic scenario, knives ain't always at their best state, it ain't everyone who can quarter a human with a surgeon's precision... 

Why would they be covered in blood ? DIdn't say that they have to get covered completely but blood stains at least, blood on the face (I don't think people would always wash themselves during apocalypse)

This is a game, not real life, otherwise, a whole lot of aspects of the game should be removed (ie : 3rd Person Camera, super stamina that gets you to sprint for ages etc...)

The disease itself in my honest opinion is not enough, especially with cook meat having only like 5% chances of infecting a player with Kuru, i still think that cannibalism should be the LAST resort way to feed yourself !! Coming with it's visual clues AND the disease, like someone else said, if you get blood stains on your clothes/hands/face, they can EASILY be bypassed by changing clothes, put on gloves and facemask...

That could create more player movement and useless clothes that people leave left and right in the buildings would FINALLY have a use instead of just being there...

Edited by docjiggy

Like you say, IRL of course they can butcher properly, but on an post-apocalyptic scenario, knives ain't always at their best state, it ain't everyone who can quarter a human with a surgeon's precision... 

Why would they be covered in blood ? DIdn't say that they have to get covered completely but blood stains at least, blood on the face (I don't think people would always wash themselves during apocalypse)

This is a game, not real life, otherwise, a whole lot of aspects of the game should be removed (ie : 3rd Person Camera, super stamina that gets you to sprint for ages etc...)

The disease itself in my honest opinion is not enough, especially with cook meat having only like 5% chances of infecting a player with Kuru, i still think that cannibalism should be the LAST resort way to feed yourself !! Coming with it's visual clues AND the disease, like someone else said, if you get blood stains on your clothes/hands/face, they can EASILY be bypassed by changing clothes, put on gloves and facemask...

That could create more player movement and useless clothes that people leave left and right in the buildings would FINALLY have a use instead of just being there...

Dude, are you a child? You've never prepared poultry or gutted a deer? This isn't rocket science. My character can gut a deer, but not a person? He's not a bloody mess from that. And why should cannibalism be the last resort? It's like saying murder is okay, but god forbid cannibalism. If I shoot somebody, why would I venture off into the woods to look for an animal or spend time scrounging for bland canned beans when I can have tasty tasty fresh meat right here and now? Furthermore, humans have a flavor and texture, unless super old, rather like veal. Would you rather eat a can of beans or some fresh veal? How about a chicken or veal? With the exception of the red deer, it would seem to me that humans would be the tastiest food to be had. And even then, that would only rival human, not necessarily beat it. I do like sirloin and flank steak, and veal does lack the "pungency" if you will, to truly capitalize on these cuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Seabrook

• Like 1

Dude, are you a child? You've never prepared poultry or gutted a deer? This isn't rocket science. My character can gut a deer, but not a person? He's not a bloody mess from that. And why should cannibalism be the last resort? It's like saying murder is okay, but god forbid cannibalism. If I shoot somebody, why would I venture off into the woods to look for an animal or spend time scrounging for bland canned beans when I can have tasty tasty fresh meat right here and now? Furthermore, humans have a flavor and texture, unless super old, rather like veal. Would you rather eat a can of beans or some fresh veal? How about a chicken or veal? With the exception of the red deer, it would seem to me that humans would be the tastiest food to be had. And even then, that would only rival human, not necessarily beat it. I do like sirloin and flank steak, and veal does lack the "pungency" if you will, to truly capitalize on these cuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Seabrook

Unlike you mister knowledge i ain't talking just for myself but on a general note... So, following that logic, it ain't EVERYONE who knows how to do that shit properly, even if YOU do it, it wouldn't be the same at all during an apocalypse scenario, especially with damaged knives and all, add to that the constant fear of being interrupted by somebody else or a zombie, nobody reacts the same under pressure... We don't give a damn about the flavoured side of the human meat...

You pretty much look like one of those kids that are getting their hype by killing on sight... sadly, this game just takes the same turn as the Infection... All lined up towards PvP leaving the cooperating people short, that cannibal crap just adds to the problem... Lots of kids running around just for the kick of going cannibal... Without even a SINGLE NEED for it with LITTLE RISK and LITTLE CONSEQUENCE (Like Laughin and Crying is a REAL downside *Sight*)... This game truly didn't need that crap that makes survival so easy... 

And in a REALISTIC point of view, YES cannibalism WOULD be the last resort... Any sane individual would rather eat a can of cold beans than just kill someone in cold blood just for the kicks of having human meat... And a MAJORITY of people would simply prefer dying of starvation than just eat another human... 

So, to come back on your point about hunting... Of COURSE when you prepare a deer as example, you hang it, open it and empty it from it's internal parts and blood... BUT you trying to tell me that, skinning a deer, right on the ground would leave no stains ? No blood marks ?!? Hmmm... I suggest you to think about that part as the answers are IMPOSSIBLE...

Especially if you add the lack of ressources, equipment and for a majority knowledge in how to do it properly, 

Edited by docjiggy

Sry was double posting by mistake !  

Edited by docjiggy

So, this being the apocalypse, the knives will all turn to crap? How many people are going to loot a kitchen for its knives. There's knives everywhere man. Plus, you don't even want some big knife for gutting a deer. You might puncture something and ruin the meat. Get a little knife, make sure it's sharp, and don't puncture the intestines or you'll taint the meat. Listen man, the heart isn't beating, it's not going to spray you. Let's maybe look at something a little more mundane. Say you buy a chicken, and it has all its innards in it. Now, usually the blood is drained, but it's similar. You reach in, grab the guts and heart, and throw it out, or make gravy/stuffing out of it. You're not going to spray your face and body down with guts, and your hands might get dirty, but wash them.

Also, laughing and crying is a death sentence. How can you not see that?

If i were a cannibal i wouldn't wander around with bloody clothes and lips.

Cannibals bathe too you know!!

• Like 1

In the blood of their enemies  :o

• Like 1

I agree that there should be no downside to cannibalism. If you dont like it then dont do it. Shakin in your boots at the thought of being eaten maybe be more careful who u trust. In the apocalypse you should trust no one anyway. And before you childishly post it... yes i am one of those people who would enjoy gaming as a cannibal i dont see the big deal. Not lile i would eat everyone.... maybe just the judgy ones...

Don't bloody do this. Public Service Announcement for those like you who think unimplemented features mean the game doesn't value realism: super stamina is a placeholder for an actual stamina mechanic and the current lack of vehicles. Not a lack of value for realism on the devs' behalf.

Not that I like plebbit, but this search took me seconds. http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2c0ty2/suggestion_stamina/ http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1vwby6/recap_of_rockets_ama_filtered_for_only_dayz/

You know what, yeah. We don't even NEED a way of telling if someone's a cannibal.

But still, speaking of "washing", a great addition would be a simple blood overlay being applied to your character after close-quarters shed of human [red-brown stains] or zombie [brown-black] blood. If anyone's played Mount and Blade Warband, you know when you slaughter 200 dudes alone and your shoulder goes full tomato sauce from their blood? That sort of thing, would let you know if  the Survivor in front of you had been recently killing at melee range, And it could be washed off with soaps and detergents, and maybe just minimised by running water, and all zombie-looted clothes could be bloodstained.

This would make detergents and running water more valuable, and add to realism IMO.

• Like 1

Though i agree blood would be cool i dont think this tells u if they were in a fight recently maybe they killed a boar or a cow and want to invite you to a campfire.

Yeah but still you would have to do that in-game (Maybe not take a bath, but have at least to look for new clothes or go on a pound to wash clothes) would add another type of immersion for those cannibals wannabees :D

Though i agree blood would be cool i dont think this tells u if they were in a fight recently maybe they killed a boar or a cow and want to invite you to a campfire.

It would defenitively add to the ''Paranoia'' side though, could be cool... Maybe my topic ain't named right, should be blood suggestion rofl ! 

To much, because when you "skin" a person you can easily not get blood everywhere. Why make every one be "clumsy" with the bowie knife?

Skinning a human would obviously leave blood splatter all over the gear / face ! 

Using the same logic, skinning animals should leave blood splatter on your clothes.