Jhunt7507

Remove random laughing as a side effect for cannibalism please.

Because not knowing what you're eating and actively butchering a human and cooking it have the same impact on the psyche.

Sanity shouldnt have a place in DayZ. The only person that should be going insane should be the the person playing the game.

How about this as a balance? If you pump your victim full of lead a lot of the human meat would be ruined.

Also a body shouldn't disappear after being skinned. It should be bloody with chunks missing out of it. The fresher the body the more recent the kill has been. So if I see a skinned body that's fresh then I should know there are cannibals nearby and be on the lookout

Edited by Jhunt7507

Sanity shouldnt have a place in DayZ. The only person that should be going insane should be the the person playing the game.

Utter nonsense.  We aren't the person eating fresh human meat, our "toon" is.  Just like when our "toon" get shot, it's him that dies and the person playing isn't left with a gaping chest wound IRL.

Please think.

In reference to Kuru (the real life disease), which supposedly originated in New Guinea, who was patient zero? If the disease is only transmittable by eating someone who is infected, how did that first infected person become infected? To my understanding it has to do with "prions" (proteins) that the human body processes incorrectly? & even that is a very vague definition, so don't quote me on that. I think the "slight hint of realism" you're looking for Solodude is the in-game brain disease. Maybe the devs will take the route of 'you can only become infected if you eat someone who was already infected', but again, how would patient zero succumb to the virus? I personally think the devs are on the right path.

It was a random mutation speculated to have originated around the early 20th century. It would have died with patient zero if the savages didn't eat his CNS. Learn to google man. And, as stated earlier in my post, some examples of CJD are simply inherited.

I cannot stress this enough: prion disease can be resistant to heat, so cooking may or may not make it safe, however, simply avoiding the CNS would eliminate the chance of Kuru (which as stated numerous times is essentially gone, and generally limited to a new guinea) by 100%.

The devs need to learn to use google. The skeletal tissue is innervated by the PNS, not the CNS. There is 0% chance of contracting Kuru. My mind is blown.  The devs are straying away from the initial path of not forcing certain playstyles and trying to implement karma. Remember how well that bandit skin worked? Hey let's just heal our buddies, and we'll all be heroes herpderp. I'm going to purposefully shoot, incapacitate, and force feed everyone I meet human meat, and I suggest others do the same. Let's make everyone a giggling ninny.

I was thinking instead of a cannibal disease it is tied in with the infection story.  Maybe we all have the infection but we are immune to it, but when we die it mutates into somthing you can injest and have ill side effects.

• Like 1

No, keep laughing and crying as a side effect. Devs are on the first steps of making consequences to actions that are realistic. Good job Dev team for this.

Utter nonsense. We aren't the person eating fresh human meat, our "toon" is. Just like when our "toon" get shot, it's him that dies and the person playing isn't left with a gaping chest wound IRL.

Please think.

Cannibals are normal people too. Just because someone decides to indulge in cooked human flesh now and then doesn't mean he is doing anything "wrong" or "unnatural", you are no better than then. I find your bigotry appalling and it's probably because you're a closeted cannibal. This is the 21st century and I think you should end it with your anthropophagousaphobia.

But seriously, morality or sanity is just plain stupid in a game like DayZ. Morality is pretty much thrown out the window whenever society collapses and this isn't Hollywood, people who go crazy from traumatic events don't end up randomly laughing and shaking.

You're telling me that watching people be killed by zombies, randomly gunned down, and have bleach poured down their throats won't make someone insane but eating someone will? I don't even thinking the shaking and laughing is meant to represent insanity, it's meant to be your player getting kuru. Which is so rare and only found in New Guinea and you have to eat someone with kuru to get it. On top of that you will only get it if you eat the brain or spinal tissue, not the steaks. Might as well have your player randomly get ebola when he eats someone.

No, keep laughing and crying as a side effect. Devs are on the first steps of making consequences to actions that are realistic. Good job Dev team for this.

Tell me how that's a realistic consequence.

I was thinking instead of a cannibal disease it is tied in with the infection story.  Maybe we all have the infection but we are immune to it, but when we die it mutates into somthing you can injest and have ill side effects.

Maybe have weird side effects when eating zombies. That would be realistic. And how can everyone have an infection but be immune to it?

Edited by Jhunt7507

Cannibals are normal people too. Just because someone decides to indulge in cooked human flesh now and then doesn't mean he is doing anything "wrong" or "unnatural", you are no better than then.

All credibility gone.

ikOiq.gif

Edited by _Mandrake_

Cannibals are normal people too. Just because someone decides to indulge in cooked human flesh now and then doesn't mean he is doing anything "wrong" or "unnatural", you are no better than then. I find your bigotry appalling and it's probably because you're a closeted cannibal. This is the 21st century and I think you should end it with your anthropophagousaphobia.

What is it with these anthrophagophobists? I'm feeling so triggered.

• Like 1

Awwww how cute, the KoS warriors attempting to justify eating someone by having the effects removed from it. If you don't want to get caught laughing or crying, don't eat another player. Rather simple really.

It's not that at all with me.

I just see it a silly artificial balance attempt.

Far better one would be to force would be cannibals to only eat human meat one they have consumed some.

Imagine the desperation of cannibals when they are hungry but eating regular food causes the player to vomit losing hydration and adding to the hunger.

This in my opinion would be a far better balance mechanic since it is far harsher and really would dictate how people play.

Cheesy negatives like laughing and shaking randomly is the wrong approach.

In DayZ they do. I eat a rotten fruit. BAM!!! I'm sick....    It's a game.

That at least has *some* backing to it, as it's totally possible for rotten fruit to lead to food poisoning symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, headache, etc. so I don't really mind that they lump it together as "sick". It's not a great idea IRL to eat rotten fruit either and the game reflects that.

Why are our characters in DayZ immune to this "rage" virus? Why everyone calls the infected zombies as they are not, even though they look, act and sound like them...

Who knows, but immunity is also a totally real and possible thing. Certain genetic mutations (already existing within populations) could have hypothetically led to immunity to the virus and thus been a naturally selected trait.

If we want authenticity or "realism", DayZ is not the game to play. 

-Infinite running

-Fictitious creatures in the form of infected/zombies

-Characters unable to move while eating or drinking

-Melee weapons such as axes, shovels, crowbars, etc....  is magically attached on the right shoulder. This one is one of the most immersion breaking and stupid thing I hate in DayZ. Always keep my melee on the backpack because of this...

-Chernarus is a place where birds, insects and a lot of creatures simply don't exist...

-etc

-etc....

You get the point. It's a video game. 75% of what's in it doesn't make sense at all...

Certainly, and some of your examples I hope to be changed in the future such as being unable to move while drinking or eating or infinite running. You can move during the light flare animation so I imagine that animations will be smoother as development progresses. Running/sprinting already has quite the drawback now that movement effects your temperature and therefore causes excessive sweating and finally leads to greater hydration needs. Maybe there will be even more to combat infinite running in the future.

The fictitious creatures part I don't mind. As long as there's some sort of backing to support it from a semi-scientific standpoint I'm happy. I just imagine it as a rage-type virus that's similar to rabies but doesn't kill the host so quick.

But many of these are trivial flaws in terms of realism/authenticity which there will always be in even the most realistic of video games. I feel as though the cannibal system brain sickness is a larger component of the game and thus needs to make a *bit* more sense, that's all. 

Thanks for the respectful reply.  :)

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

It's not that at all with me.

I just see it a silly artificial balance attempt.

Far better one would be to force would be cannibals to only eat human meat one they have consumed some.

Imagine the desperation of cannibals when they are hungry but eating regular food causes the player to vomit losing hydration and adding to the hunger.

This in my opinion would be a far better balance mechanic since it is far harsher and really would dictate how people play.

Cheesy negatives like laughing and shaking randomly is the wrong approach.

Irrelevant, they'll complain about that too.

Irrelevant, they'll complain about that too.

They would probably use the good ol Naw Brah this here a game too much realisms ruins fun even though bohemia interactive makes sims. I want to keep mah wall peeking,xray building vision and tour de France cyclist race speed cause I don't have 20 hours of day to play and don't want to spend 10 minutes to run to ma friends.

Did I cover all of the common excuses?

They would probably use the good ol Naw Brah this here a game too much realisms ruins fun even though bohemia interactive makes sims. I want to keep mah wall peeking,xray building vision and tour de France cyclist race speed cause I don't have 20 hours of day to play and don't want to spend 10 minutes to run to ma friends.

Did I cover all of the common excuses?

pretty much

I think we could keep the laugh but not freeze your running but also make it where you can use the leather kit to make a leather mask

Would that balance things??

All credibility gone.

ikOiq.gif

Butthurt anthrophagophobist detected.

I was simply making a point & didn't feel that googling was necessary. herpderp.

Google ignorance.

In reference to Kuru (the real life disease), which supposedly originated in New Guinea, who was patient zero? If the disease is only transmittable by eating someone who is infected, how did that first infected person become infected? To my understanding it has to do with "prions" (proteins) that the human body processes incorrectly? & even that is a very vague definition, so don't quote me on that. I think the "slight hint of realism" you're looking for Solodude is the in-game brain disease. Maybe the devs will take the route of 'you can only become infected if you eat someone who was already infected', but again, how would patient zero succumb to the virus? I personally think the devs are on the right path.

Yeah, prion based diseases are quite different from other types of diseases, but they still don't come from nothing. In rare cases (5-10% of CJD cases according to wiki), the prion disease is acquired through a genetic "mutation of the gene that codes for the prion protein" which leads to the misfolded proteins (prions). So in extremely rare cases, it's genetic. Patient zero of Kuru was very likely to have either been born with said genetic mutation (and was later eaten) or ate someone who already had a genetic mutation that led to CJD.

I'll love DayZ regardless of what happens with this, but I strongly dislike the idea of getting a disease from nothing just to counter cannibalism. If there were to be a system added in which some players spawn as asymptomatic or genetic carriers of some sort of disease that could be spread, awesome! That'd be a sweet way to counter it - you'd never know who or who isn't a carrier to begin with so it'd be risky to be a cannibal and perhaps only worth it under dire circumstances. And the best part is it'd be a "real" disease in-game, not something you get simply by eating a human.

Edited by solodude23

Here is a comprise, can't resort to cannibalism until the red hunger status.  You know, realistic, desperate and needing food, weak, barely walk, hallucinating, willing to kill another human to survive.

Oh who am I kidding, you guys would go ape shit over that, the one simple option that's an either, "do it or you don't seems a lot simpler."

Truth is they should push kuru right now is the best time to test new features.

Test it if it works keep it.

If not why not try my much harsher idea of having cannibals no longer able to eat regular food due to having an acquire taste for human flesh

Shemaghs are the bomb-diggity.  I have a brown one, olive one, white, and a crimson for hikes, so in case I get hurt or something I can use it to signal aircraft or whatever. Point is, they're super useful and need to be in the game.  They can be tied into facemasks, neck scarves, slings for arms (or a sling in terms of a crude weapon), it can be folded and used as a water filter, it can be used as a blanket, sunshade, improvised bag, the list stretches about as far as your imagination.  

How 'bout a stylish scarf?

In rare cases (5-10% of CJD cases according to wiki), the prion disease is acquired through a genetic "mutation of the gene that codes for the prion protein" which leads to the misfolded proteins (prions). So in extremely rare cases, it's genetic. Patient zero of Kuru was very likely to have either been born with said genetic mutation (and was later eaten) or ate someone who already had a genetic mutation that led to CJD.

I think this is the key right here. Why not have a small percentage of new spawns spawn with this genetic mutation, & not show any signs that they have it. Only players who happen to eat said new spawn with the mutation would contract the disease (Kuru) & display symptoms.

& any player who happens to eat another who has already contracted the disease would contract it as well, obviously.

• Like 1

I think adding kuru at all is a mistake. If anything it should be a 1 percent or less and never get higher. There have been several cannibal tribes all over the world forever but one tribe in a totally different part of the world suffers from kuru so it has to be implemented? Just doesnt make sense. Not to mention kuru was from eating the brain not steak. Cannibalism is a viable method of survival and should not be discouraged at all. Even the butchering of the meat would only mentally damage the weak minded. A human is an animal like any other. If its chop you up and feed you to my family or let them starve... i dont think i would feel that bad.

• Like 1

We're not in new guinea, we're not eating the CNS, kuru shouldn't be in the game. Too much book of Eli.

If you want to add a disease for cannibalism why not go all out? After eating enough people, you become really strong, can climb walls, and move really fast. Only heart shots or decapitation can kill you. However, the sunlight is blinding unless you wear sunglasses or a hat, if not both.

Now that'd make an interesting game.