Jhunt7507

Remove random laughing as a side effect for cannibalism please.

the whole random laughing thing just seems like an artificial punishment for a morally wrong action in DayZ, just

Like the bandit skins. I guarantee that if I fed you guys human meat that you thought was chicken nothing bad would happen.

• Like 2

Speaking about the bandit skin. It would be really cool to be able to find the headwrap thing

the whole random laughing thing just seems like an artificial punishment for a morally wrong action in DayZ, just

Like the bandit skins. I guarantee that if I fed you guys human meat that you thought was chicken nothing bad would happen.

I don't like the laughing bit but cannibalism has some serious side effects for a regular Long Pork Eater. To wit prion disease or kuru this is an almost universally accepted fact. The symptoms vary a great deal so every time a player eats a Long Pork steak there should be a 1% chance of getting a prion disease symptom and that should be a cumulative effect 10 Long pork steaks (20 full portions) should equal a permanent 10% chance of developing a nervous system disorder such as 'the shakes'. The more Long Pork you eat the higher the chance of developing Kuru symptoms.  

From Wikipedia, "Kuru is an incurable degenerative neurological disorder endemic to tribal regions of Papua New Guinea. It is a type of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, caused by a prion found in humans.The term "kuru" derives from the Fore word "kuria/guria" ("to shake"),[2] a reference to the body tremors that are a classic symptom of the disease; it is also known among the Fore as the laughing sickness due to the pathologicbursts of laughter people would display when afflicted with the disease. It is now widely accepted that Kuru was transmitted among members of the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea via funerary cannibalism."

So you are not being punished for a morally wrong action you are reaping the rewards of some mindbogglingly STUPID behavior.

The good thing for the would be cannibal is that you would have to eat a good bit of human meat before showing symptoms. Perhaps when the symptoms do arrive morphine could be a temporary fix for the shakes but then with frequent use of morphine you would suffer from withdrawal symptoms when you can't get  fix. 

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 5

I don't like the laughing bit but cannibalism has some serious side effects for a regular Long Pork Eater. To wit prion disease or kuru this is an almost universally accepted fact. The symptoms vary a great deal so every time a player eats a Long Pork steak there should be a 1% chance of getting a prion disease symptom and that should be a cumulative effect 10 Long pork steaks (20 full portions) should equal a permanent 10% chance of developing a nervous system disorder such as 'the shakes'. The more Long Pork you eat the higher the chance of developing Kuru symptoms.

From Wikipedia, "Kuru is an incurable degenerative neurological disorder endemic to tribal regions of Papua New Guinea. It is a type of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, caused by a prion found in humans.The term "kuru" derives from the Fore word "kuria/guria" ("to shake"),[2] a reference to the body tremors that are a classic symptom of the disease; it is also known among the Fore as the laughing sickness due to the pathologicbursts of laughter people would display when afflicted with the disease. It is now widely accepted that Kuru was transmitted among members of the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea via funerary cannibalism."

If you killed me and ate me you would not catch kuru.

Isn't the only reason kuru was so widespread there because infected people continued to eat each other.

• Like 2

Chicken statement is correct.

However here, you know you are eating human flesh.

This cannibalism thing is gross enough.

Lets just hear those cannibals and shoot them on sight.

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 2

Speaking about the bandit skin. It would be really cool to be able to find the headwrap thing

Shemaghs are fun.

SlGbatil.jpg

• Like 1

If you killed me and ate me you would not catch kuru.

Isn't the only reason kuru was so widespread there because infected people continued to eat each other.

Read the entire entry sport..you MISSED these components either intentionally or through carelessness on your part.

Xbow wrote, "The good thing for the would be cannibal is that you would have to eat a good bit of human meat before showing symptoms. Perhaps when the symptoms do arrive morphine could be a temporary fix for the shakes but then with frequent use of morphine you would suffer from withdrawal symptoms when you can't get  a fix."

Xbow also wrote, "cannibalism has some serious side effects for a regular Long Pork Eater.

You have now been fully informed and brought up to speed. ;) 

I don't believe there should be any mark put on cannibals, no wannabe bandit scarfs, no visible shakes (the shakes would manifest themselves to the player when doing something that requires fine motor control like shooting). However, if you find human meat in someones gear you have wounded and rendered unconscious...finish the job with one to the scum-suckers head.

By the way they say human meat tastes like PORK not CHICKEN guys. Hmmmmm...does a ham sandwich taste like a chicken sandwich?  

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

In reality from eating cooked human meat you're not going to get any diseases unless you eat nervous tissue, which most people would not eat on any animal.

Theres not a big market in chicken, turkey or pig brains for sale so why would you eat a human brain?

I understand they put it in for some sort of differentiation but its a hollywood one. Which is pretty much fine since this is a game and zombies sure as hell don't exist. Other than this patch, ppl will probably get bored of cannibalism fairly soon until loot tables are fixed. But its good to have the option. You should be able to do something like this but it doesnt really mean you HAVE to or have arbitrary penalities assigned if you do

Shemaghs are the bomb-diggity.  I have a brown one, olive one, white, and a crimson for hikes, so in case I get hurt or something I can use it to signal aircraft or whatever. Point is, they're super useful and need to be in the game.  They can be tied into facemasks, neck scarves, slings for arms (or a sling in terms of a crude weapon), it can be folded and used as a water filter, it can be used as a blanket, sunshade, improvised bag, the list stretches about as far as your imagination.  

Edited by nettles
  • Like 1

Considering the taboo concerning cannibalism. In real life people will resort to cannibalism only on brink of death\sanity, otherwise they will soon be hunted down like the vermin they are and even might be blamed for the infection.

Considering that in Dayz, cannibalism can become a cheat tool for those interested in PvP deathmath, while dayz mechanics doesn't offer anything that can mitigate the phenomena, I consider the method in use to be the minimum necessary balancing act

-1 to the idea.

• Like 1

the whole random laughing thing just seems like an artificial punishment for a morally wrong action in DayZ,

It's not an artificial punishment but a disease you might catch when eating human meat. You do not have to get it even - a lucky cannibal will eat all the human meat he/she likes without showing symptoms especially when only consuming it in cooked form (currently, I would like to see a very small chance of infection even on cooked/burned human meat).

As you wrote there is also the possibility of someone geting force fed human meat so you really cannot say if it was intentional or not. People could go full zealot mode killing off any of those "cannibal beasts" - but here they might also catch innocents ithat got infected while missing cannibals not showing symptoms.

Simply for the sake of gameplay we can assume people in Chernarus have a good chance of carrying a prion infection that may break out if their meat is digested. we could even go further and speculate its this infection preventing survivors from becoming zombies.

Though I would like the infection chances to be tweaked - a low risk when consuming raw meat of people without the disease, a very low risk when consuming their meat in cooked/burned form and a much higher risk when eating the flesh of people with accute brain disease.

• Like 1

Sorry Duenan cooking has no effect on prions as they are just mutant proteins (folded). Ask the Anasazi Indians of the American southwest and the New Guineans why they like to crack open heads and split open vertebrae and chow down on nerve and brain tissue. As a matter of fact the cooked the brain while it was still in the shell and the cracked open the skull like a coconut and sucked out the brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72aYa8KTO7U

Note: When some Canadian cattle ranchers detected prion disease in a great number of their cattle they skinned them, cooked them, ground them up, dried the remains, added some grain products to the mix and sold it to GB and Argentina as high protein animal feed. Millions of Steers that had been fed this 'High Protein Feed' had to be destroyed and burned to ash .   

Edited by Xbow

I just posted this in another thread:

There is literally no way to tell a cannibal from a non cannibal irl. Despite what you may have seen in the Book of Eli, the "shakes" ie Kuru, Creutzfeldt-Jakob, etc. is not very common. Some cases of CJD are inherited, and the transmissible varities are often from contaminated medical products. If it is from ingestion (such as Kuru, which was only really found on new guinea, and now nearly gone anyway), this only occurs from eating the CNS. You're eating steaks, not the CNS. There is literally no way to get "the shakes". And why would cannibals be covered in blood? Can't they properly butcher, cook, and eat people like any other civilized person?

I think the best way to tell a cannibal apart from a non-cannibal is this: after they shoot you, do they try to eat you?

Unique to this thread:

Many forms of prion disease are either spontaneous mutations or are genetic. It is a result of the protein adopting wrong folding patterns, while retaining the same primary structure. This being said, in order to make your proteins form to the alternate confirmation, they need to be exposed to the protein. This is not a virus or a bacteria, just a protein causing other proteins to misfold. It is nearly gone is new guinea, and furthermore, we're not in new guinea. Thus, there should be essentially no exposure to the prion. Furthermore, the prion is only ingested (in the truly exceptionally rare case that it is found) if you eat the CNS. We are not eating the CNS. We are not eating the CNS. I cannot stress this enough. We are literally eating steaks. There are far far more common diseases that are far far more easily transmitted than "Kuru". 

This is not the Book of Eli. There is literally nothing wrong with eating human skeletal meat. The only thing I could find would be psychological damage. But that is highly subjective, and I hate playstyles forced upon us.

• Like 4

I thought as long as it was cooked it didn't do you any harm. Eating any meat raw in dayz is always gonna be a bad idea :)

I will mention again that there should be a certain risk involved when eating human meat but no direct punishment. I think it might be a good idea to reduce the risk of getting brain disease from eating somebody that did not have it should be very low but the effects of brain disease should be much more severe than just random laughter/crying when the sickness processes. In return cooked/burned meat should also a small chance to infect the consumer (maybe only if the victim was infected).

I think both "eating human meat has no further ill effect" and "eating human meat should be punished by the game" are unhealthy for gameplay and its probably best to replace it with "eating human meat has a small chance of  causing a severe sickness". Most cannibals should not have brain disease but they should be at risk every time they eat human meat.

• Like 1

You can't get Kuru (or any prion-related disease) without eating someone who is already infected which is very unlikely to happen considering how rare any of these diseases are. Only something like 1 or 2 per million have CJD, there's been only 229 cases of vCJD since 1996, and Kuru is basically wiped out.

There are many more types of diseases that would be far more realistic than a prion disease.

Edited by solodude23

Awwww how cute, the KoS warriors attempting to justify eating someone by having the effects removed from it.  If you don't want to get caught laughing or crying, don't eat another player.  Rather simple really.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 2

Awwww how cute, the KoS warriors attempting to justify eating someone by having the effects removed from it.  If you don't want to get caught laughing or crying, don't eat another player.  Rather simple really.

No need to attach a stigma to someone just because they don't like a certain implementation. I have no intention of eating other people and I avoid KOS, but I'd prefer a more "realistic" (authentic) counter to cannibalism than a prion disease. Realistically there's no real dangerous disease you can catch by eating another human if you cook them. I suppose it'd be better if they implemented a back story that would explain the expansion of a prion disease, but it would still only make sense to get the disease if you ate someone who already had the diseases. Diseases don't just pop into existence because you ate another human.

There were some good ideas on Reddit - like you could only eat your first human if you were starving to death. Then perhaps you can only eat humans after that - or maybe it can always stay so that you can only eat humans if starving. Or perhaps mental health related effects could add up over time. Something along those lines.

Edited by solodude23

Cannibalism is in game, it's a viable survival method, & it needs to have it's cons. The devs are on the right path.

To those who are referencing what would/wouldn't happen in a real-life cannibalistic scenario -- Zombies are as fictional as can be, & they're the theme of this game. So that being said, this wouldn't be the first game design that's strayed a bit from ultra-realism.

• Like 2

Cannibalism is in game, it's a viable survival method, & it needs to have it's cons. The devs are on the right path.

To those who are referencing what would/wouldn't happen in a real-life cannibalistic scenario -- Zombies are as fictional as can be, & they're the theme of this game. So that being said, this wouldn't be the first game design that's strayed a bit from ultra-realism.

It certainly needs its cons, I just don't like the idea of getting a disease from someone who doesn't have a disease. That's not asking for ultra-realism, that's asking for a slight hint of realism. Diseases don't pop up magically by eating a human - and that seems to be the way that the cons are going in terms of cannibalism.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

It certainly needs its cons, I just don't like the idea of getting a disease from someone who doesn't have a disease. That's not asking for ultra-realism, that's asking for a slight hint of realism. Diseases don't pop up magically by eating a human - and that seems to be the way that the cons are going in terms of cannibalism.

In DayZ they do. I eat a rotten fruit. BAM!!! I'm sick....    It's a game.

Honestly I don't really like this cannibalism thing, but I just don't do it cause it's me.

But DayZ is a game... I try to never compare it to real life...

Why are our characters in DayZ immune to this "rage" virus? Why everyone calls the infected zombies as they are not, even though they look, act and sound like them... 

If we want authenticity or "realism", DayZ is not the game to play. 

-Infinite running

-Fictitious creatures in the form of infected/zombies

-Characters unable to move while eating or drinking

-Melee weapons such as axes, shovels, crowbars, etc....  is magically attached on the right shoulder. This one is one of the most immersion breaking and stupid thing I hate in DayZ. Always keep my melee on the backpack because of this...

-Chernarus is a place where birds, insects and a lot of creatures simply don't exist...

-etc

-etc....

You get the point. It's a video game. 75% of what's in it doesn't make sense at all...

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE DayZ. It's one of my favorite games! But, it's a game, and I'm not the one creating it so I have no control on how things are or will be. I just try to deal with everything that bothers me.

• Like 1

In reference to Kuru (the real life disease), which supposedly originated in New Guinea, who was patient zero? If the disease is only transmittable by eating someone who is infected, how did that first infected person become infected? To my understanding it has to do with "prions" (proteins) that the human body processes incorrectly? & even that is a very vague definition, so don't quote me on that. I think the "slight hint of realism" you're looking for Solodude is the in-game brain disease. Maybe the devs will take the route of 'you can only become infected if you eat someone who was already infected', but again, how would patient zero succumb to the virus? I personally think the devs are on the right path.

Remove random laughing as a side effect for cannibalism please.

Absolutely not.  This topic is being beaten to death with a stick at the moment, and I'm in the "More drawbacks please" camp.  What you are asking for is, in my opinion, extremely self centered and ultimately toxic for the game.

And please don't dare complain about "your playstyle being punished".  It isn't a playstyle, it is barbarism and "free" food in the form of even more dead bambis - like we need more.

Edited by _Mandrake_
  • Like 1