Sign in to follow this  
Nebulae3

Water and food

I feel the start of a new character is somewhat questionable; - u never start with food or water which is essential in-game. A brief background story or variations should be optional before the game start for example. (Maybe u start with a water bottle and some rice for example in some scenarios.)

I also think the amount of time u get hungry and thirsty is annoying to say at least,

Why is the duration to starve to death or lack of water so brief in-game compare to real life?

It's really boring to drink and eat even though it's essential in a survival game - perhaps increase the duration before u die of hunger or water in real life u can go a week without food or more and couple of days without drinking. That aspect of the game is boring - it's fun when you meet and communicate with other

people in-game.

Edited by Ori42

I feel the start of a new character is somewhat questionable; - u never start with food or water which is essential in-game.

I also think the amount of time u get hungry and thirsty is annoying to say at least,

Why is the duration to starve to death or lack of water so brief in-game compare to real life?

It's really boring to drink and eat even though it's essential in a survival game - perhaps increase the duration before u die of hunger or water in real life u can go a week without food or more and couple of days without drinking. That aspect of the game is boring - it's fun when you meet and communicate with other

people in-game.

Not much of a survival game if you don't have to worry about basic necessities. You don't play 24 hours a day so making it like real life would take any threat from starvation/dehydration right out of the game and that means less to do to survive. Fixing wells will make this a non-issue once again. This may not be the game for you if you can't handle this mechanic since it will not go away.

• Like 2

Most video games are sped up to increase the challenge of it. If it were the same thing as it is irl where I could last a whole bunch of hours before I even got hungry, the game would have basically no challenge in that regard. Not everyone wants to play for 6 hours and then eat 1 can of beans and be good to go for another 6 hours. This is talking about even feeling slightly HUNGRY, by the way. Don't even make me talk about the time it takes to actually starve.

I don't really find it that difficult to find food. If you're looting the coast for food, you won't find much. Head inland.

Edited by Kirby12352
  • Like 1

I didn't say u should remove it completely. but u almost die when u run from a city (A - B ) of starvation before u arrive without food and water when u start at the coast for example. 

I think it should be adjusted - it's fine to be shoot or whatever, but dieing of water and food when u spend 1 hour to run to one location to another is kind of waste of time.

Edited by Ori42

I feel the start of a new character is somewhat questionable; - u never start with food or water which is essential in-game.

people in-game.

Do you have survival training?

Yes, you can live for up to three weeks without food, and 3 days without water, depending on personal condition, metabolic processes, etc. However, you will not be enjoying yourself. By the end of those times frames, you will be a literal near-mad, wasted-away lump of flesh. 

Are you inferring that it is too hard right now to find water or food? If so, I kindly suggest a different game. You can safely drink from ponds and streams (to find them, look at the bottom of hills, in valleys), and you only "need" to drink from ponds if you can't find a soda, which I find improbable. Same thing with food; it is literally everywhere. If you can't find any cans (again, improbable), eat what you find from apple trees, berry bushes, etc. As for the uncertainty of being a newspawn, it is both part of the "experience", and a background part of the story; We actually don't know when our characters last ate when we spawn in. For all we know, we could already be starving for 2 weeks when we generate a newspawn.

.....wait.

You are saying that you find "survival" (which is what having a source of food and water is, essentially)....boring?....Do you know what game you are playing? Survival is the main focus of the game here. Finding and interacting with other players is only an aspect of that. 

"It's really boring to drink and eat even though it is essential in a survival game". Boo fucking hoo. I enjoy it, so do a lot of other players

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 3

I didn't say u should remove it completely. but u almost die when u run from a city (A - B ) of starvation before u arrive without food and water when u start at the coast for example. 

I think it should be adjusted - it's fine to be shoot or whatever, but dieing of water and food when u spend 1 hour to run to one location to another is kind of waste of time.

Mate, it takes only about half an hour to run across the entire map. If you need food or drink, stop in the smaller towns and loot up. Stop running directly to military bases/ PvP zones as a freshspawn. 

Most video games are sped up to increase the challenge of it. If it were the same thing as it is irl where I could last a whole bunch of hours before I even got hungry, the game would have basically no challenge in that regard. Not everyone wants to play for 6 hours and then eat 1 can of beans and be good to go for another 6 hours. This is talking about even feeling slightly HUNGRY, by the way. Don't even make me talk about the time it takes to actually starve.

I don't really find it that difficult to find food. If you're looting the coast for food, you won't find much. Head inland.

It depends where u start, but I've the map of Dayz and I always aim to the airports, because it's always food and guns there.

But If I start at the coast and run to the coastal cities I usually starve to death before I arrive.

Edited by Ori42

Mate, it takes only about half an hour to run across the entire map. If you need food or drink, stop in the smaller towns and loot up. Stop running directly to military bases/ PvP zones as a freshspawn. 

I think u start a new game on a low populated server to gear up - I'm glad they added timers so people like u can't server jump too often..

Yes, that's my opinion; to eat and drink that often in a game is not exciting nor fun.

Do you have survival training?

Yes, you can live for up to three weeks without food, and 3 days without water, depending on personal condition, metabolic processes, etc. However, you will not be enjoying yourself. By the end of those times frames, you will be a literal near-mad, wasted-away lump of flesh. 

Are you inferring that it is too hard right now to find water or food? If so, I kindly suggest a different game. You can safely drink from ponds and streams (to find them, look at the bottom of hills, in valleys), and you only "need" to drink from ponds if you can't find a soda, which I find improbable. Same thing with food; it is literally everywhere. If you can't find any cans (again, improbable), eat what you find from apple trees, berry bushes, etc. As for the uncertainty of being a newspawn, it is both part of the "experience", and a background part of the story; We actually don't know when our characters last ate when we spawn in. For all we know, we could already be starving for 2 weeks when we generate a newspawn.

.....wait.

You are saying that you find "survival" (which is what having a source of food and water is, essentially)....boring?....Do you know what game you are playing? Survival is the main focus of the game here. Finding and interacting with other players is only an aspect of that. 

"It's really boring to drink and eat even though it is essential in a survival game". Boo fucking hoo. I enjoy it, so do a lot of other players

Not to be a dick myself, but the guy is expressing his opinion, a valid one at that, and you are all over his ass, even telling him to find another game.  You don't even know if these mechanics in their current state will remain the same.  Maybe you don't like his opinion, but attacking him for sharing his thoughts is pretty mean, what gives you the right?

It's fine I respect other opinios, perhaps I'm too lazy in-game.   :)

I had a long break from Dayz about a year so I repatched it and played some hours this evening and found some crossbow bolts and I was excited - I've no idea if they created crossbows which work in-game yet. But I'm lazy so I died of hunger.. loi

(Because I'm not updated.)

Edited by Ori42

I enjoy the need to eat and drink in game, as do many others. After-all, it is a survival game. The only boring part about it is the excessive amount of food loot that currently plagues persistent servers, making survival the easiest part of the game at the moment.

Edit: There is indeed a working crossbow in game.

While I'm sure the eating/drinking mechanics may change in time, I don't find them to be particularly over the top as it stands. It's very easy to stay well fed and watered and as long as you keep a canteen on you and keep track of water sources you're fine. Realistically with all the sodas and food you don't even need to keep track of water.

Edited by solodude23

Not to be a dick myself, but the guy is expressing his opinion, a valid one at that, and you are all over his ass, even telling him to find another game.  You don't even know if these mechanics in their current state will remain the same.  Maybe you don't like his opinion, but attacking him for sharing his thoughts is pretty mean, what gives you the right?

I am not attacking him for sharing his thoughts per se, I am commenting (a bit aggressively, I admit, but it irritated me.) on the  fact that he apparently wants to take the focus off of survival and focus on interaction (Based upon his later comments, he apparently means PvP). In a survival game.

He already admits to running straight to an airfield after spawning, and only really exploring coastal cities, which coupled are pretty much his whole problem. If he stops running straight to airfields, and leaves the coast, he would find more than enough food (Hell, with the current loot SNAFU, there is an abundance of food almost everywhere. Not saying a glitch is reliable long term, however). He also uses a map ( I am assuming this is an external map, like DayZDB which shows loot locations), which means he feasibly knows where food has the greatest chances of spawning. He also knows where the "alternate" food sources are, like apple orchards and water spigots.

To me, his problem sounds like a personal one, not a game mechanic one. No need to eliminate the "survival" of "survival game" because one player wants to be able to run to military spawns easier.

Edited by Whyherro123

In his opinion one of the survival aspects of a SURVIVAL game should be taken out. That is not a valid point at all buddy.

In his opinion one of the survival aspects of a SURVIVAL game should be taken out. That is not a valid point at all buddy.

He just says he wants the process of starvation and dehydration to be slowed down, not to completely remove it. Take a closer look at what you're reading before you bash the guy and tell him his opinion is invalid.

I think his point is valid, a bottle of water and rice would enable people to move inland easier. It is still a game and should be entertaining.

I am new and I have found that berry trees can save your life. After enough trial and error, I have learned to walk directly inland, stop at berry bushes or apple trees and spam them until my pockets are full.

Admittedly I am not on full servers, I am developing my strategies and map directions to avoid people on new spawn.

Much prefer not spawning with anything. In fact I would like to see the torch/battery removed from your spawn inventory. They were normally immediately dropped upon spawn, although with the stun batons I do keep the batteries now.

Starting hungry and thirsty at the start is maybe a different thing, but then again it's a survival game so I don't mind that.

• Like 1

I think the time it takes to fall unconscious should be lengthened, but only if (when!) they introduce gradually debilitating effects on your character. It'd add to the gameplay if you could survive for a long time malnourished and thirsty, but in the process have severe restrictions on your speed, stamina, strength, vision, etc. Even better, they could introduce appropriate animations, like stumbling and crawling, for starving or very sick characters.

Right now, the hunger/thirst/illness statuses are just ticking timers towards unconsciousness - while the timer is running, you carry on as before, like nothing's the matter. It doesn't feel right.

High hopes for future development!

It's really boring to drink and eat even though it's essential in a survival game -

Are you joking? I cooked a steak and rice dish the other day with a red berry sauce and we had canned peaches and banana for dessert.

There is a lack of food and water... 3 nights now Ive been playing and have found hardly any of them, and ammo and guns lol... Running simulator...

you made a lot of good points I just chose the two that kick ass the most in my book. I enjoy the hell of logging on to a server and going on food hunts. Loot a few buildings to stock up on my staples like Rice, Peaches, Tuna, sardines and then top it off with a pig or deer hunt and have a private cook out in the forest. My favorite is Rice 10 servings that takes up just two slots. Since there is plenty of chow, game and water & drinks around I keep myself perpetually stuffed to keep my hydration and energy reserves high so that I can take damage when it comes my way. The survival aspect of the game is one of the most important and desirable features of the game. And anyone that says there isn't enough chow out there for the taking has his head up his ass. 

here are a couple of tools I want.

Etool.jpg .....Handline%20fishing%20reel%20and%20line.j

I don't fish now because I wont sacrifice my ax for a stick.  

In relation to OPs post it seems alot of players dont understand the importance of reaching a healthy state for ur character. Once u reach healthy u dont have to eat and drink as often...unless u run all the time. Generally alot of players fail to understand how ur physical state and behaviour affect each other. U start out hungry and weak...ur goal in the beginning is to get from that state to healthy. But u need to balance ur actions, cant run all the time.

Fine let's have it your way.

You start with food and have realistic thirst and hunger on one condition.

Realistic movement speed, realistic fatigue and most importantly when you log out your character sleeps in game until you Log back in.

• Like 1

Fine let's have it your way.

You start with food and have realistic thirst and hunger on one condition.

Realistic movement speed, realistic fatigue and most importantly when you log out your character sleeps in game until you Log back in.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

you made a lot of good points I just chose the two that kick ass the most in my book. I enjoy the hell of logging on to a server and going on food hunts. Loot a few buildings to stock up on my staples like Rice, Peaches, Tuna, sardines and then top it off with a pig or deer hunt and have a private cook out in the forest. My favorite is Rice 10 servings that takes up just two slots. Since there is plenty of chow, game and water & drinks around I keep myself perpetually stuffed to keep my hydration and energy reserves high so that I can take damage when it comes my way. The survival aspect of the game is one of the most important and desirable features of the game. And anyone that says there isn't enough chow out there for the taking has his head up his ass. 

here are a couple of tools I want.

Etool.jpg .....Handline%20fishing%20reel%20and%20line.j

I don't fish now because I wont sacrifice my ax for a stick.  

Aww the E-Tool! I think both of us suggested that on sep threads. You suggested it 1st, so its all you. Regardless I fully support that item being added. It can cut, you can use it can be used to fight (vary effective) and most of all dig with. Its also pretty small when its folded, and what better add for dayz.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1