Foxfall

Problem with loot cycling causing persistence to crash, delete, restart

So we just recently started hosting a private server and we're starting to get regular users online. yay! BUT...some idiot has been loot cycling in the military areas. At first this caused other players frame rate loss in those areas and obviously ruined the game for people that don't want loot to be easy to get. The new problem is that apparently there was so much loot that a fail safe must have kicked in and the old persistence database has been deleted and it basically reset. Our tents have vanished and any loot that was previously on the ground anywhere has gone too.

How can we deal with players that are loot cycling so that we don't have this fail safe kicking in all the time and deleting players tents and other gear? People won't want to play on servers where any long-term goals get wiped in a random database reset. Getting some admin controls so that we can deal with players doing screwy things would be great.

You are running a Standalone server right?

You are posting in the DayZ mod parts of the forums.

You have the necessary tools to deal with those kind of players - you have the whitelisting.. It's on your side to make sure this doesn't happen.

EIther way: Moved.

Make sure you're posting in the correct section..

We'd rather not implement white-listing unless we have to.

It also won't really stop anyone from being on the white-list and doing this anyway. It would just narrow down the possibilities for who is doing it, but we would still struggle to find and deal with the culprit.

Also sorry for posting this in the wrong place originally.

It's likely that tents/persistence will be wiped regularly during weekly maintenance for a little while anyway while the new loot distribution tech is being implemented. (I believe it was wiped last Wednesday and has a high probability of being wiped this Wednesday also) I don't think there is anyway for you to determine who the culprit is really, it's just something all persistent servers are going to have to deal with for a while until the new tech for spawn distribution is done.

I believe I may have read GSP's can do persistence backups (maybe check your control panel or with your GSP), that might be something you can look into and have it restored if the database is wiped due to crashing again in the meantime?

It will get better as they tweak it and implement more tech for control though.

It's likely that tents/persistence will be wiped regularly during weekly maintenance for a little while anyway while the new loot distribution tech is being implemented. (I believe it was wiped last Wednesday and has a high probability of being wiped this Wednesday also) I don't think there is anyway for you to determine who the culprit is really, it's just something all persistent servers are going to have to deal with for a while until the new tech for spawn distribution is done.

I believe I may have read GSP's can do persistence backups (maybe check your control panel or with your GSP), that might be something you can look into and have it restored if the database is wiped due to crashing again in the meantime?

It will get better as they tweak it and implement more tech for control though.

I can confirm that Fragnet does allow for persistence backups. They backup the file every 24 hours and allow you to restore once every 24 hours. With that in mind folks could in theory restore to Tuesday's backup or possibly Wednesday's before everything is wiped. Below is a screen shot from our control panel within fragnet. As mentioned above while we await more tech for loot spawning, I've decided to turn off persistence and just wait tell its a little further developed. 

15595287807_7b2ca647a0.jpg

So we just recently started hosting a private server and we're starting to get regular users online. yay! BUT...some idiot has been loot cycling in the military areas. At first this caused other players frame rate loss in those areas and obviously ruined the game for people that don't want loot to be easy to get. The new problem is that apparently there was so much loot that a fail safe must have kicked in and the old persistence database has been deleted and it basically reset. Our tents have vanished and any loot that was previously on the ground anywhere has gone too.

How can we deal with players that are loot cycling so that we don't have this fail safe kicking in all the time and deleting players tents and other gear? People won't want to play on servers where any long-term goals get wiped in a random database reset. Getting some admin controls so that we can deal with players doing screwy things would be great.

There is no fail-safe. Persistent items not on your person was cleaned up from the dev's side during yesterdays maintainence period. There were warnings here as well as BEC messages on your server that you must have missed.

Here is part of my tweet to dev Eugen Harton as posted by the dev tracker: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215351-reddit-eugen-stable-may-get-persistence-wiped-this-wednesday/

Here is the tweet in full to dev Eugen Harton from my post in General Discussion: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215332-megaloot-cleanup-tomorrow/

Also, loot farming doesn't work like that. Not all area's are farmable. Some area's produce junk loot quickly, some area's take 30 minutes or so to respawn items, some none at all. The mil bases do not produce high value mil loot on respawn from loot farming just so you know.

Reason we know this as fact is we had so much megaloot on our private shard that we had cleanup teams touching objects to create ownership (loot lifetime) so said loot would despawn. Some would pick it up and drop it in the spot the picked it up from, some chose to pick it up and throw it out of the area as to not confuse which items they picked up. Either way, it was a losing battle as the items re-puked all at once and the loot was everywhere…not just high-value area's.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 2

There is no fail-safe. Persistent items not on your person was cleaned up from the dev's side during yesterdays maintainence period. There were warnings here as well as BEC messages on your server that you must have missed.

Here is part of my tweet to dev Eugen Harton as posted by the dev tracker: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215351-reddit-eugen-stable-may-get-persistence-wiped-this-wednesday/

Here is the tweet in full to dev Eugen Harton from my post in General Discussion: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215332-megaloot-cleanup-tomorrow/

Also, loot farming doesn't work like that. Not all area's are farmable. Some area's produce junk loot quickly, some area's take 30 minutes or so to respawn items, some none at all. The mil bases do not produce high value mil loot on respawn from loot farmers just so you know.

Reason we know this as fact is we had so much megaloot on our private shard that we had cleanup teams touching objects to create ownership (loot lifetime) so said loot would despawn. Some would pick it up and drop it in the spot, some chose to pick it up and throw it out of the area as to not confuse which items they picked up. Either way, it was a losing battle as the items re-puked all at once.

Very true Weyland, I tested it for 2 days about 20hrs of moving loot, there are 2 kinds of spawns MEGA and Normal, Normal are NWAF tents MEGA are NWAF raised floor tent barracks, just an example there are other spots like the news stands and some chicken roosts.  

On a side note…I haven't seen a single instance of megaloot in the new 0.51 exp build. Not to say it isn't there, but I haven't run into it and FPS is great in 0.51 exp.