hotcakes

Shotgun nerfed

Its pellets went from dmg rating 60 -> 6.

I shot someone twice in the back while they were logging out and they lived long enough to log out.

• Like 7

Hmmmm, that would explain why my point blank shot to the face on some moron didn't kill him.  Shot to the face, then shot to the torso.  Still didn't drop him.

• Like 1

Why the hell would a shotgun even be nerfed? I thought they were going for a realism aspect with these types of guns? A shotgun blast is pretty damn devastating at close range. I would expect maybe a quite a bit of inaccuracy at long range but medium to especially close range should be doing damage.

• Like 4

Thats how it is supposed to be - there are 9 pellets each doing this damage. A headshot with a single one will kill a person without helmet (and knock out the rest). I also dropped people with five 9mm rounds (probably less but I do not kill people for gear so I just fill them with lead if needed) so at close to medium ranges its still enough.

Those 60 were because the shotgun only fired a single pellet that still got both dispersion and spread making it unbelievable inaccurate. They nerfed it back when they fixed the single projectile bug.

The "people do not die from bullets" thing is probably related to hitbox desync: You shoot the model but not the hitbox (which is standing in a corner getting attacked by zombies).

Edited by Evil Minion

I saw a guy shot in the chest one time by a 20 guage shot gun with bird shot at close range (within 2 meters) with shirt and jacket on. (Not going into details about this at all so don't ask) The man stopped in his tracks and he was in full on run.  The shotgun when used as self defense weapon in close range is a hideous man stopper. It does not require a second shot.

• Like 2

At everyone who thinks thats a recent thing: It was changed when they fixed the buckshot only firing one pellet and has been this way since.

At everyone who thinks thats a recent thing: It was changed when they fixed the buckshot only firing one pellet and has been this way since.

???

here's the actual history

multiple pellets dmg rating 6

one pellet dmg rating 6

one pellet dmg rating 60

multipe pellets dmg rating 60

and now multiple pellets dmg rating 6

When it was dmg rating 60 you could literally blast signs and bushes down with one hit. 

• Like 1

00 buck is about equivalent to 9 overpressure .32 ACP rounds being fired at once. Whats the nearest equivilent to .32 ACP in DayZ? Probably the 9x18 mak? How much damage does that do?

00 buck is about equivalent to 9 overpressure .32 ACP rounds being fired at once. Whats the nearest equivilent to .32 ACP in DayZ? Probably the 9x18 mak? How much damage does that do?

It does 5.5 so the pellets do (6/5.5)^2 = 1.19 times the damage.

???

here's the actual history

multiple pellets dmg rating 6

one pellet dmg rating 6

one pellet dmg rating 60

multipe pellets dmg rating 60

and now multiple pellets dmg rating 6

When it was dmg rating 60 you could literally blast signs and bushes down with one hit.

60 is obviously too much, that's 25 times as powerful as a Mosin, 5 times as powerful as M107. Also when the alpha was released it was 8, also too much.

Nerfed the shottie?? wtf is going on here?

If you shot someone in the face with 12 gauge buck shot, the amount of damage wouldn't matter at all since they would HAVE NO FACE!

• Like 2

Shotguns should be one-shot kills to the torso or head at close range. Legs or arms should be broken or hindered belong belief if hit there. Close quarters, the gun is crazy. Medium range, its only going to nip at people and cause injuries. Load slugs instead, however, which I hope we get, and the weapon will become much more formidable.

Buff, devs. Buff it again...

• Like 1

Shotguns should be one-shot kills to the torso or head at close range. Legs or arms should be broken or hindered belong belief if hit there. Close quarters, the gun is crazy. Medium range, its only going to nip at people and cause injuries. Load slugs instead, however, which I hope we get, and the weapon will become much more formidable.

Buff, devs. Buff it again...

Eh, it is really dependent on the load and on the choke.

In this video, the guy nails a gelatin block with buckshot from 40 yards. Now, you might not become beef stew with that shot pattern, it is still going to kill you.

• Like 1

6 is pretty low. I accidentally point blanked a friend in the face (he changed his clothes while I wasn't looking at an airfield) and he lived.

Realistically he should have had a stump where his face used to be.

Head and body shots should kill if the majority of pellets connect and limbs should be most health with heavy blood loss.

Buckshot is scary in the sense it has far greater opportunity for bleeding out due to the nature of the wound. So even if you survive you would probably be unconscious in a matter of seconds.

Yep. Not even including the chances for infection.

Why the hell would a shotgun even be nerfed? I thought they were going for a realism aspect with these types of guns? A shotgun blast is pretty damn devastating at close range. I would expect maybe a quite a bit of inaccuracy at long range but medium to especially close range should be doing damage.

Good point and I am not convinced that it has been nerfed. I have a sawed off that I use and just a few minutes ago I was looking for downed helicopters  to the south of the NWAF and ended up scavenging in Kabanino. I killed six Zombies in and around Kabanino with the thing. 1 shot each for the civilian zombies and two shots for the one military Zombie. I was playing on a 1st person server. It seemed  OK to me.

Have some Beans :beans:    

• Like 1

Good point and I am not convinced that it has been nerfed. I have a sawed off that I use and just a few minutes ago I was looking for downed helicopters  to the south of the NWAF and ended up scavenging in Kabanino. I killed six Zombies in and around Kabanino with the thing. 1 shot each for the civilian zombies and two shots for the one military Zombie. I was playing on a 1st person server. It seemed  OK to me.

They are saying for normal players as far as damage goes. But it SHOULD be the same damage on both players and infected.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 2

They are saying for normal players as far as damage goes. But it SHOULD be the same damage on both players and infected.

I'll have to claim ignorance on that one but now that you mention it, there must be a difference since Zombies don't bleed out or get crippled they just drop dead. So they must have a different and simplified set of conditions to determine death, probably just Health and Shock. And once again I agree, the same damage should be applied to both players and Zeds

Be nice to hit a Zombie in the legs and create a slow belly crawling Zed.

Beans?  :beans:

• Like 2

Negative. The shotgun has definitely been nerfed. You can't base your assessment of a weapon on how it performs against Zombies.

• Like 1

I'll have to claim ignorance on that one but now that you mention it, there must be a difference since Zombies don't bleed out or get crippled they just drop dead. So they must have a different and simplified set of conditions to determine death, probably just Health and Shock. And once again I agree, the same damage should be applied to both players and Zeds

Be nice to hit a Zombie in the legs and create a slow belly crawling Zed.

Beans?  :beans:

sawn off shottie has more dmg (by default) than the normal version and the MP-133, too.

So that may be the reason why you were able to kill civ. zombies fairly reliable.

Edited by irishroy

sawn off shottie has more dmg (by default) than the normal version and the MP-133, too.

So that may be the reason why you were able to kill civ. zombies fairly reliable.

Nope. Firearm damage is based on ammo type. 

• Like 1

The sawed-off has the exact same damage (determined by the ammo), the only thing that changed is dexterity and dispossession cone i.e. you can turn with it faster and has an increased area of effect making it easier to hit at close range, but harder at mid range.

Btw does anyone know the answer for this: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215186-how-many-pallets-in-a-buckshot/#entry2161603

Nope. Firearm damage is based on ammo type. 

The sawed-off has the exact same damage (determined by the ammo), the only thing that changed is dexterity and dispossession cone i.e. you can turn with it faster and has an increased area of effect making it easier to hit at close range, but harder at mid range.

Btw does anyone know the answer for this: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215186-how-many-pallets-in-a-buckshot/#entry2161603

I know that the dmg is made up by the ammo-type and the velocity, but I am sure the DEVs somewhere in a changelog said, they made the sawn off variant have abigger spread, and little more dmg..