5mirkeh

I kinda feel that chernarus needs to be "blown up"

DISCLAIMER: I understand that DayZ is slowly leaving the alpha phase and I am perfectly fine with waiting,  . . . Just as long as get my UxO shotgun dammit.

The more I play DayZ (and look at the DayZ DB map) the more I feel that chernarus as it is has felt crammed loaded with towns, Personally I feel that the devteam may have to stretch chernarus both north and west to add more breathing space between towns because it's starting to feel cramped for me, But hey A lot of other people have played both DayZ and the standalone for a lot longer than I have thus it would be interesting to hear from people who are a lot better than I am at this.

• Like 2

It is not feasible to extend the dimensions of the map.  SenChi has commented on this.

• Like 1

it would be interesting to hear from people who are a lot better than I am at this

git gud scrub.

Ur a noob.

:P

• Like 3

It is not feasible to extend the dimensions of the map.  SenChi has commented on this.

Really?, Phhuck.

EDIT: Time to delete this post

Edited by 5mirkeh

DISCLAIMER: I understand that DayZ is slowly leaving the alpha phase and I am perfectly fine with waiting,  . . . Just as long as get my UxO shotgun dammit.

The more I play DayZ (and look at the DayZ DB map) the more I feel that chernarus as it is has felt crammed loaded with towns, Personally I feel that the devteam may have to stretch chernarus both north and west to add more breathing space between towns because it's starting to feel cramped for me, But hey A lot of other people have played both DayZ and the standalone for a lot longer than I have thus it would be interesting to hear from people who are a lot better than I am at this.

Characters move as fast as vehicles.  That's why it feels crammed and small.

• Like 1

I agree but I liked the wilderness, although a lot of people called it "wasted space". Where's the "middle of nowhere" gone? Now it's just the middle of a few towns. No more truly isolated areas, there's always something to draw players nearby whether it's a village, "unique location" or military base.

Q: Will the actual size of the map ever increase?

A: Unfortunately we are limited by the physical size of map that was set at the Chernarus for Arma 2 (15.360km x 15.360 km) long time ago, perhaps in the future we will find a way to extend the border, but right now talking about it too early.

I agree but I liked the wilderness, although a lot of people called it "wasted space". Where's the "middle of nowhere" gone? Now it's just the middle of a few towns. No more truly isolated areas, there's always something to draw players nearby whether it's a village, "unique location" or military base.

Well, There it at least a bleak chance even if it may never be a possibility

I totally agree, too many towns are being put it.. deforestation is making me cringe somewhat.. those gorgeous rolling forests that engulf the mountains will soon be all gone for new apartments and condo's. Hopefully we wont see any more new towns...

However i would still love to see a destroyed town.. maybe the outbreak couldn't be contained there so they tried to bomb it.. the catacombs of a bomb out apartment would be pretty special to explore :D

No no no...on the removal of the new towns. What the hell guys? There was so much vast feilds with slabs and empty spaces, like in the NW above NWAF....Not forests, feilds of nothing!..Did any of you go up there above nwaf before this patch?..Good dam we will find anything to complain about with these new patches serously. Theres still tons of wilderness and if there isn't expand the map if its posible.

.50 is probably the best patch I have seen them put out in a while.....even the weather is better. Really cool new items, and mechanics. Not that many bugs. Everthing starting to shape up! Prob the best patch they put out in quite along time. Be happy while you can mofos, it X-Mas in dayz I tells ya.

Edited by CJFlint

Just remember, this is "Alpha", which means NOTHING is set in stone. All these towns could be moved, deleted, or even made smaller throughout the course of Alpha. This is a great reason why we all are here "testing" the game. Feedback is crucial. OP  message is feedback. Now does anybody else feel the same way as OP?

I've played multiples of hundreds of hours of the MOD(I dare say over 1000 hours) and nearly 300 hours of SA, and I "so far" appreciate having extra towns. Is it becoming too much? Perhaps eventually, but right now, seeing all the north getting filled up, is a relief and very very welcome to see for myself. w00t!  :D

There is plenty of open spaces and forest areas.  

This is the modern world and there would be villages and towns everywhere - if you want sparseness maybe we need DayZ - Australia where you run through the outback for 3 days and all you find is a dried up dam and towns are 600km apart.

• Like 1

It seems smaller because everybody spawns in an area that's concentrated to the coastal area, and most people die there as well. For many many characters, the sound of the beach is something they'll never stop hearing in an entire playthrough. 

There is plenty of open spaces and forest areas.  

This is the modern world and there would be villages and towns everywhere - if you want sparseness maybe we need DayZ - Australia where you run through the outback for 3 days and all you find is a dried up dam and towns are 600km apart.

This.

Forgot to mention as soon as you leave any city, It's a 45 minute drive at 110 km/h to get to the next town.

Edited by Preach

The 1st day I played the new patch I was up on the northern border of the map. Went all the way across NE to NW side. Theres the new base, but other then that nothing but forest. The places I know they really worked on were blank fields...not forests. I think some of the new towns filled some of the gaps. Theres still tons of forest guys.

if you want sparseness maybe we need DayZ - Australia where you run through the outback for 3 days and all you find is a dried up dam and towns are 600km apart.

8/8 would play m8, sounds gr8.

Solution maybe not lies in the removal of the new towns (after all the work they've done and the new towns are looking awesome), but in the removal of some old towns.

I mean, there are many small towns that people wouldn't even notice the removal. I don't know just remove the houses or replace them by some ruins covered with vegetation...

It sounds the best way for me.

• Like 1

Maybe they will work on the forests and make them REAL forests, not pine rows that are magically pine needle and undergrowth free.

And swamos.

Those empty fields? Make them full of like corn rows (imagine running from 3 axe wielding bandits through a cornfield XD) or overgrown with hay, wheat, broomstraw, weeds, ect.

Maybe if adding a town every 10 feet is the goal, then theyll at least make the forests so thick, so slow that itll take forever.

• Like 1

The northern expansion is a love/hate issue for me, I liked that previously it provided and empty wilderness area that's now gone, though the towns and settlements that Replaced it are awesome.

This is an exaggeration. There a plenty of locations in Europe where settlements have healthy amount of space in between them. The game is going to get a hell of a lot smaller when alternate modes of transportation exist.  

I want a northern expansion with a different feel to it. Small towns surrounded by extremely dense pine forests with wolves lurking in there. It should be a higher elevation so it could snow. Rifles should be easier to find in the houses and there should he at least one military base with unique gear such as snow camo.

• Like 2

Maybe they will work on the forests and make them REAL forests, not pine rows that are magically pine needle and undergrowth free.

And swamos.

Those empty fields? Make them full of like corn rows (imagine running from 3 axe wielding bandits through a cornfield XD) or overgrown with hay, wheat, broomstraw, weeds, ect.

Maybe if adding a town every 10 feet is the goal, then theyll at least make the forests so thick, so slow that itll take forever.

I agree with this completely. The number 1 priority for DayZ dev team should be fixing the engine. Then it should be adding atmosphere and immersion

I want a northern expansion with a different feel to it. Small towns surrounded by extremely dense pine forests with wolves lurking in there. It should be a higher elevation so it could snow. Rifles should be easier to find in the houses and there should he at least one military base with unique gear such as snow camo.

I really like this idea, gives it a Game of Thrones type feel to it. The north could require at least a down coat to enter safely, only because it has an average temp that is 15 degrees lower than normal. Fires would be essential and only the real survivalist/deathwisher would enter

Very cool idea, excuse the pun.

Let's say the temperature gradually goes down as you enter this hilly area until you see sparse amounts of snow, and that there are actually less zombies in the area and intact loot stockpiles exist in cabins. And maybe rarer loot, such as a very little of the WW2 era stuff people have been clamouring for, holdover Soviet military equipment kept by survivalist collectors who've gone missing, perhaps medals.

You have to have heat packs, fire, cooked food, warm clothes or a running engine to keep your body temp up in the snowy forests and rocky wastes, and stamina is greatly lowered.

Maybe not the military base bit though. You could just have the snow camo at extant bases.

all I can say i don't need more "generic" villages with the same 7,8,9 buildings. quality over quantity. litter, dirt, turmoil is all I seek. there is still SO many to do get from Rapture to Apocalypse it's almost a lost cause.