Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Joe

An idea for when vehicles come..

I haven't heard about what I'm about to say, so I'm gonna suggest it.

Finding CDs.

In towns, such as apartments, some loot could include CDs that could be used on a radio/inside a car radio that would play music.

(Not 1 CD that players a wide selection as music; A variety of CDs that plays a few songs/albums)

There was a suggestion about a radio that plays music, but a CD would be much more realistic, and if people were killing for a drive with music than they could go hunting for a CD.

Would be useless to some players, but would be nice for those players that would want it. Would add a variety to the game ;-)

Sure, you could just open up youtube and listen to music, but this could be used for other reasons.

Placing a radio in town and blasting music outloud, survivors near by would hear it and perhaps be attracted to the sound, and the person playing it could be friendly and just looking for some friends. (Dumbass scenario but possible xD)

OR when the time comes when zombie respawning is a bit more realistic, a radio could be placed in town to attract most of the zombies at the town to the radio, so you can kill them all easily without clearing the town out by going everywhere.

There could also be some type of CD that plays music that relates to bandit actions, lyrics with "I'm gonna fucking blow your brains out and take your shit.."

which could keep other players away from such areas with this music playing.

Edited by MrJoe
  • Like 4

mosic from Everon plox.

(I like the idea tho. Had a lot of fun in Battlefield: Vietnam with similar feature.)

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Kinda like what Merle does in The Walking Dead to move walkers to a different area.

great idea, go suggest it on the link below please. That is the official list for all vehicles and vehicle-related ideas. Im pretty sure radios is on the list already but I know lootable CD's are not. Great idea, go suggest it so it doesn't get lost in the bowels of these forums.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/210326-the-communitys-official-vehiclevehicle-idea-thread-version-15-now-with-constantly-changing-polls/

I'd rather see some development with radios in the game. Not CDs per say.

Houses all have radios in them, I'd like to see them actually working. Even if they only play some static, or random tunes, etc.

Could be used to tie into the mountain transmitter site somehow. Perhaps people there can turn on or shut off the transmitter or do things that affect all the radios in the game. Would be kinda neat being up there and transmitting "over the air" and be heard throughout the game on the radios in the houses. Could absolutely be a massive creepyness factor. And could probably be tied into the voice chat very similarly to the way the walkietalkies are.

Programming wise, it's probably pretty darn easy using the same voip system as the walkies use already.

That said, I've suggested it before, I want to see the payphones/phones actually WORKING. Player can check number on phone and call it from another one.

How creepy would that be in the middle of the night, random payphone on the road rining, who has the balls to walk out there and answer it, knowing there could be a sniper scope aimed right for it.

EDIT: ^Yeah that's what I'm talking about! Thanks!

If I am not mistaken I saw a finished cassette model somewhere. Maybe something similar to your idea is already planned but using cassettes instead of CDs. Cassettes do seem to match the aesthetic of DayZ a bit better in my opinion. EDIT: Maybe the younger players don't know what cassettes are. Oh my god I'm getting old. 

That said, I've suggested it before, I want to see the payphones/phones actually WORKING. Player can check number on phone and call it from another one.

The only possible problem I see with this idea is that payphones would not be receiving any power in a zombie apocalypse. Handheld radios would still work because they run on batteries, but payphones run on an electrical power grid, if I am not mistaken, and the people that ran that power grid are most likely dead. I am all for suspension of belief, but with DayZ focusing on realism I am not sure many players would believe that the phones would still work. 

Edited by mfdayz

If I am not mistaken I saw a finished cassette model somewhere. Maybe something similar to your idea is already planned but using cassettes instead of CDs

It's not "my idea", it is the actual ingame model. It's in the gamefiles, but not used/spawning so far.

Good point...

I also addressed the thought of power in some other post ages ago... I'd love to see the idea of the main power grid be dynamic.

-Shoot out transformers, building goes black.

-Knock out a power station, city goes black.

-Ability to repair power station.

-Ability to take down those power lines we see so frequently in the woods.

-Just the ability to turn the lights on or off in a house as well.

I mean it looks like power has actually been considered for most cities. I think all of them have some form of major power line going through the woods.

If it came to phones, they could be the same as the power situation, take out the power and you've taken out the phones. Call the place and you'll get a busy signal.

Yeah it gets a little complicated, but not too difficult to implement.

(LOL can you guess perhaps I'm a telecoms guy? I work as a Sysadmin for an ISP, and run a small local phone company...)

This is a great idea, would have to find some old music with open rights or a big chunk of the money they make would go on royalties. Still all for this idea, could have creepy stuff in aswell like a selection of childrens nursery rhymes ......but the tapes stretched over time and they all come out a little distorted and creepy sounding :)

It's not "my idea", it is the actual ingame model. It's in the gamefiles, but not used/spawning so far.

Oh yah yah I know. I was referring to the op's idea. Just saying his idea might already be planned but with cassettes instead of CDs. 

Cassetes actually sound much better than CDs, and seem to fit with Chenarus a lot better.

In my opinion totally useless and takes up spawn points for real useful items.
But that's just me...

(Can't you just play your songs in youtube or mp3?)

Edited by KiskilleAcronym