Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

[Controller Users] VOTE UP THIS BUG

One of the new bugs in 0.50 is that controller users can't disable controller support via Configure>Controllers>Devices.

The result is that if you use xpadder or motioninjoy you can NOT use your controller.

This bug is not on 100% of the time, more like 75%. Not sure what triggers it or not.

Please vote up this bug ASAP. Thanks for your time.

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=18578

• Like 1

C:\Users\Username\Documents\DayZ

Username.dayzprofile

edit the top line 

version=2;
blood=1;
singleVoice=0;
customScheme=1;
trackIR=1;
freeTrack=1;
controller="Default";
sensitivity="Medium";
vibrations=1;
class ControllerSchemes
  • Like 1

C:\Users\Username\Documents\DayZ

Username.dayzprofile

edit the top line 

So your saying change version=2 to version=1?

EDIT: If so, it doesn't work.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

Possible to get a response? Very frustrating with this issue. Thanks!

I meant top lines. You can probably disable the controller support by editing the line about controllers. 

You don't need to do this !! All you need is both motioninjoy ds3 tool , AND Xpadder ... Configure your controls with Xpadder , load up ds3 tool , you might need to go to a section in ds3 tool that allows you to load drivers (if you're controller doesn't register with ds3 right away) after doing that choose the xbox profile (regardless of what kind of controller you have , although ps3/xbox 360 seems to work the best) .. Make sure not to set the controls for your controller in ds3 tool as it will mesh with the controls you mapped with Xpadder and mess things up...

After all that's done you don't even need to disable the controls in the assignments section of dayz , you just play .. Ds3 tool activates the controller even more so it seems , because without it (only using xpadder) my controller only half works..

Hope this helps I will post a video in this thread when I'm home later showing you that mine works at least ... Oh and the right analog stick seems to be the only one I can make the mouse act as ... I can't seem to figure out how to make the mouse move with the left analog stick but that's not a big deal really just makes you a bit slower in the inventory screen..

And after this recent patch I swear they made it easier for us controller users because the sensitivity is jacked up ! My character using a controller can now move just as fast as a mouse user , and I can still make it more sensitive ! A nice touch If the devs really did change something there ...

• Like 1

I am not trying to be judgemental here, but why do you willingly put yourself in a HUGE disadvantage using the pad in an enviroment where mouse/keyboard is the norm? Do you win some firefights?

• Like 1

I am not trying to be judgemental here, but why do you willingly put yourself in a HUGE disadvantage using the pad in an enviroment where mouse/keyboard is the norm? Do you win some firefights?

Its a good question really , my friend always asks me the same question .. We both normally get 2-3 bandit kills a session , last time I played with a controller I only got one compared to his 3 lol but I still survived and i can adapt to this in time . I'm sure I'll be expert on the controller in no time so although controller players are at a disadvantage they just have to practice harder to get to that L337 (elite) status again lol... And also it's so much more comfortable playing on the couch / bed with a controller rather than Kbm on desk . (In my opinon cuz my desk setup sucks ).

• Like 1

I meant top lines. You can probably disable the controller support by editing the line about controllers. 

So you saying change controller="Default" to controller="Disabled"?

You don't need to do this !! All you need is both motioninjoy ds3 tool , AND Xpadder

I use Xpadder and its not working properly. (post #1, sentence #2) 

Not going to get into details but I've broken each hand 2x (5th metacarpal on each hand). After an hour or two both hands hurt. I don't feel like I'm at any disadvantage as DayZ isn't a fast twitch-muscle shooter. Its actually easier as I use controller/kb/mouse together. The only disadvantage I experience is slower turn around times…everything else feels just as accurate…even shooting.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 2

Learn to kb + mouse, noob. B)

Ignorance is bliss and you Kelsh need to learn to read the entire post before making such an rude and useless statement.

• Like 1

To my surprise he's actually not too shabby.  You wouldn't know he used one by playing with him.

• Like 1

I use Xpadder and its not working properly. (post #1, sentence #2) .

Like I said , you need both ds3 tool and Xpadder .. By saying Xpadder is not working properly do you mean when you configure your controls it just doesn't work in game ? Because besides plugging in your controller you need to make sure it's actually been recognized by your computer and the driver installed correcty...

Here's how it works for me : i plug in my Xbox 360 or ps3 controller , make sure your computer installs the driver so it actually responds , then open up ds3 tool and go to the driver managers tab ,load the driver that states your controllers name (it might not but it should be the only driver listed) and then go back to the main page of ds3 tool (profiles tab) and activate an xbox profile over it (if you're familiar with ds3 tool you will know what I'm talking about , but it's pretty self explanatory it basically loads drivers for you and masks that controller/driver as any type of controller you want , and I find masking it as xbox controller works best ) after doing all that open Xpadder and make sure you have mapped every button that you need onto the controller via Xpadder , then just keep both applications (ds3 tool and Xpadder) open while you play the game ..

When using ONLY Xpadder the controller seems non-responsive, so if that's your problem I'm pretty sure you just need to activate and profile your controller with ds3 tool which is what made mine work . So if you're using Xpadder correctly and you know that your controller driver was installed correctly then it comes down to what controller you are using , I've used an xbox 360 controller and a ps3 controller and they both work as long as I first install and profile it with ds3 tool and then open my Xpadder (make sure your dayz standalone controls are showing , if not load them in Xpadder otherwise it doesn't know what control scheme you're using) , and then I just jump into game ..

So if you're a little more detailed into what's going on with Xpadder that could help :) I trouble shooted this for like two weeks when the game first came out and I've been making little tweaks to my control scheme so that it's almost up to par with my Kbm skills , I just need To figure out how to make the inventory mouse move with my left analog stick instead of the right for quick inventory management ..

• Like 1

You're right hfu575.  :(

Admitting to a mistake is often hard to do.  You have my beans sir.

• Like 1

I've made a video for Weyland or anyone else that is having trouble with their controllers... this way is basically fool proof as long as you have an Xbox 360 controller, or a PS3 controller ... I HAVE NOT tried this on any other controller but i assume it works the same on any controller , the drivers might be stubborn for certain controllers which is why i recommend using the tested xbox/ps3 controlers.. 

Basic Steps:

1.) Plug in controller to usb port

2.) Make sure your computer is installing the device software (controller) it should show you a message in the bottom right in your taskbar saying its installing driver software, if it asks you to install driver software say yes

3.) Download and install Motioninjoy's DS3 tool (just google it )

4.) load your controller in DS3 tool (ive noticed that some xbox 360 controllers DO NOT SHOW UP in the DS3 tool , thats ok as long as your computer has installed the "driver software" which should happen automatically after plugging in your controller [step 1])

5.) Download and open Xpadder (google it) and set up all your controls for the controller VIA xpadder (AFTER you have set Xpadder up by finding a bitmap image of a controller and mapping each button accordingly).

6.) Open dayz and PLAY !

NOTE : some users have told me that they NEED to disable the controller under the Dayz Controls tab in the configure options at the main menu , i DID NOT HAVE TO DO THIS FOR ANY OF MY CONTROLLERS , but if you are having troubles in which TWO commands are being executed at once then YOU WILL NEED TO DISABLE THE CONTROLLER IN THE DAYZ OPTIONS AT THE MAIN MENU!

EDIT : to disable your controller scheme in game (only do this if you are having double mapping issues ) : Press escape in game (or just go to configure in main menu) and then click on "configure" then "controls" then "devices" and then it should show your controller name , click on it and there should be a button on the bottom of the screen saying "disable" or "disable controller".

EDIT #2 : if you have an xbox 360 controller chances are YOU MIGHT NOT NEED DS3 TOOL, as the xbox controllers USUALLY configure themselves properly BUT if its not working in game after setting up xpadder and you cannot seem to get the xbox controller to show up in DS3 Tool then first  make sure its driver (xbox controller) is installed by windows correctly and then go to your taskbar and find the icon that states that the driver was installed correctly(alternatively, open your start menu and look for "devices and printers" your controller should be listed there then you right click it and click "Game controller settings" a new window opens up showing the highlighted controller , click properties in the bottom right and it will bring up yet another box which allows you to calibrate it ) , if you click on it you can then open a window which allows you to "calibrate" your controller , make sure to "calibrate" it correctly  (it basically tells you how) and then your xbox controller should then work as long as there are no issues with your computers drivers/ capability to install them...

Watch the video to the end theres a SEMI-useful comparison of the sensitivity of the controller versus the mouse at the end of the video (only 3:45 minutes long)

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 2

EDIT : to disable your controller scheme in game (only do this if you are having double mapping issues ) : Press escape in game (or just go to configure in main menu) and then click on "configure" then "controls" then "devices" and then it should show your controller name , click on it and there should be a button on the bottom of the screen saying "disable" or "disable controller".

One of the new bugs in 0.50 is that controller users can't disable controller support via Configure>Controllers>Devices.

Sorry you went through such an elaborate reply…I do appreciate the sentiment. But reiterating, there is no option to disable right now. I've been using controllers to play DayZ since 10/2012 and currently use the wireless xbox controller with the wireless receiver. Thanks though!

Oh it wasn't elaborate , took me a few minutes but I always want to help controller users :) but like I said use one of the controllers I'm using (wired xbox 360 or ps3 ) and you won't have to disable your controller in order for it to work in game ;) .

Edited by Grapefruit kush

How could any controller issue be more of a priority than first fixing the incredible amount of lag one experiences when you hit the aim/raise weapon button? Controller, or no controller.... shouldn't the priority right now be that when you hit the button to aim down your sights..... it doesn't not take 2 or 3 freaking seconds?

I can't believe people are not protesting the horrible networking architecture.... That's fucking up every single persons game not matter what controller they are using. Hitting a button should not take 2 seconds for your character to respond.

We should get zero updates to the game until they make controls acceptably responsive. I would be embarrassed to release these patches until it is fixed.

Edited by danceswithzeds

How could any controller issue be more of a priority than first fixing the incredible amount of lag one experiences when you hit the aim/raise weapon button? Controller, or no controller.... shouldn't the priority right now be that when you hit the button to aim down your sights..... it doesn't not take 2 or 3 freaking seconds?

I can't believe people are not protesting the horrible networking architecture.... That's fucking up every single persons game not matter what controller they are using. Hitting a button should not take 2 seconds for your character to respond.

We should get zero updates to the game until they make controls acceptably responsive. I would be embarrassed to release these patches until it is fixed.

Hello there

This thread is about this particular issue, you are free to vote on the bug tracker for your particular  gripe. Please stay on topic.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

My apologies. You are very right I was off topic. At first I just thought any control question does relate to the long delay of any button use.

I do like the idea of controller support even though I don't use one now. I like the xbox controller for some games so I vote yes here.

Oh it wasn't elaborate , took me a few minutes but I always want to help controller users :) but like I said use one of the controllers I'm using (wired xbox 360 or ps3 ) and you won't have to disable your controller in order for it to work in game ;) .

I can't afford to buy another controller over a simple bug. Even if I could afford to, I wouldn't. I would rather see this fixed so I can keep using what I've been using.

Listen man, you got to reread my original post. I'm not saying this is a priority over anything. The post simply states this is an issue for controller users and I'm looking for folks to vote it up. If people don't bring up an issue to the people, it might get brushed under the rug which is why I posted this in the forum. Controller users are the vast minority so some additional light is needed.

Please don't speculate on what you think is acceptable from a developers perspective. You have no idea what their workload is like.