Sign in to follow this  
Schweinsteiger

Thoughts on the new .50 Update...

This sounds really noob-ish.  But what exactly do you need water purification tablets for?  I should also add in: are we at risk of over heating if we don't drink/cool off after travelling for awhile?   I can't wait to jump on tonight and try this shit out!

My hydration level was GREEN hombre and Drinking water doesn't cool you off directly it simply replaces water lost through perspiration and prevents the onset of heat injuries such as heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke by restarting the perspiration process. Limiting your exertions, removing clothing, moving to the shade and in extreme cases wetting the skin with water and even getting a saline bag are the correct actions. But that's real life

I use water purification tablets (That AFAIK actually do nothing at this point) to get used to purifying water from ponds and streams just as I do in RL. Sooner or later  those that are unprepared will be getting the shits and intestinal dysentery from drinking contaminated water. One should assume that all water not coming from a bottle is bad or will eventually be bad.    

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

Overall loving the update and the new towns. Toploniki and Novaya Petrovka have a cool feeling to them and really bring life to the NW. Have yet to visit Belaya Polana, gonna head there tomorrow. Also love the underbrush added to the Kamensk MB...gives it a real derelict feeling. Biggest issue I've had is with server-side lag/desync. Sometimes my hotbar don't work at all.

So....it has no use now.  Since all water is safe to drink yes?

Correct.

You need outrageous amounts of water to keep the temperature down. 

Have you been overheating or just hot? Because being "Hot" isn't so much of an issue and I don't believe it has any negative effect on your character. Been doing fine ignoring it - I figure being hot is a pretty regular feeling when you're jogging/sprinting long distances. Usually when I get to a town and slow down I lose the "Hot" status.

Edited by solodude23

Ive played the hell out of the experimental build.. so I have only 2 questions:

Is there still a whole hell of a lot of ambient sounds coming up at incorrect times (eating, rounds, zeds, etc.) ? Because this got somewhat worse for me in the exp. build.

Have they done anything with the loot respawning? The exp. servers seemed to get really messed up with the loot respawning, and the server restarts.. wondering if this has been fixed in any way. In the exp. build you would find no loot at many places, than at others it would be overflowing.. way out of control. Restarts would bring no new loot at all, and the only loot that would come in would be off of loot respawns.. which was far too easy to farm (exploit) from what I heard. 

And then my boots ruined. Now trapped in deep forest, no shoes, good.....

What type of footwear did you have? Also what surfaces were you running on? Found a pair of hiking boots and jungle boots and I jogged from kamyshovo to cherno staying off hard surfaces and my hiking boots were still pristine and then the jungle boots from cherno to zelenogorsk and still were pristine. Were you sprinting the whole way to where you were going?

Dont forget to MacGyver your coats and footwear, that is if you can find some duct tape

Ive played the hell out of the experimental build.. so I have only 2 questions:

Is there still a whole hell of a lot of ambient sounds coming up at incorrect times (eating, rounds, zeds, etc.) ? Because this got somewhat worse for me in the exp. build.

Have they done anything with the loot respawning? The exp. servers seemed to get really messed up with the loot respawning, and the server restarts.. wondering if this has been fixed in any way. In the exp. build you would find no loot at many places, than at others it would be overflowing.. way out of control. Restarts would bring no new loot at all, and the only loot that would come in would be off of loot respawns.. which was far too easy to farm (exploit) from what I heard.

It's happening at a way more frequent rate. In a forest in butt fuck cheranus and all I could hear was the sound of combining rags, zombies, canteen drinking, eating and chewing. About 20 times a minute. It's beyond annoying now.

• Like 1

It's happening at a way more frequent rate. In a forest in butt fuck cheranus and all I could hear was the sound of combining rags, zombies, canteen drinking, eating and chewing. About 20 times a minute. It's beyond annoying now.

Good to know, thanks man. I havent got my chance to hop in yet.. and only got a minute to talk to my clan and ask how it was.. 

Has anyone been through several restarts yet and seen how loot is spawning and respawning if at all?

Hmmm havn't even logged into .50 stable....can already tell there is balance issues. How bad is it is the question. Shit like this is the reason I wait now  :P

Edited by CJFlint

I am testing this.

I will be fully hydrated at the start.

1) I will run with my Gorka jacket and balaclava on until I get hot. 

2) I will recover and drink water if necessary to max out my hydration and then remove my Jacket and Balaclava put on my green T-shirt and run an equal distance and see if I get hot.

The pending Results will be posted here as an EDIT. .  to Chernarus!

• Like 1

I am testing this.

I will be fully hydrated at the start.

1) I will run with my Gorka jacket and balaclava on until I get hot. 

2) I will recover and drink water if necessary to max out my hydration and then remove my Jacket and Balaclava put on my green T-shirt and run an equal distance and see if I get hot.

The pending Results will be posted here as an EDIT. .  to Chernarus!

I can already tell you.. and there are numerous videos on the newer version of weather/season and its affect on the player.. 

But Ill let you have your fun first. ;) Just a tip though, its all based on movement now really.. still have heat values, but movement is what really brings your temp up. You can bring it back down instantly if you find out how.. again, Ill let you test it all out. Have fun man! 

• Like 1

Is there any foot ware effect videos? I would like to see which are the best currently. I logged in on stable just now. My avatar is still good. But I have military boots that I started with pristine, went to worn only after running for maybe 5 to 10 min. To me that seems like it will become an issue, or will it? What boots currently are the best? Were is the best place to find leather mending kits? The reason I ask is because on any given session I can cover much ground. 

I have to say I really like the changes to the mosin rap! Vary nice to see those colors darkened! That I am pleased with!

Aww no water pumps, shit now I know why I carry 3 water bottles. That is good to know! I will make sure to stay close enough to ponds and lakes 

Edited by CJFlint

I can already tell you.. and there are numerous videos on the newer version of weather/season and its affect on the player.. 

But Ill let you have your fun first. ;) Just a tip though, its all based on movement now really.. still have heat values, but movement is what really brings your temp up. You can bring it back down instantly if you find out how.. again, Ill let you test it all out. Have fun man! 

I just finished my half ass test and as predicted running and jogging heat you up pretty quickly but running jogging with just a T-shirt on seems to build up heat slower. However in both cases I was hot after running about a click and a half and it took water to cool me off even though I was still in the green hydration wise.

Now do tell me the real Deal Irish about how to dissipate heat instantly ...links to videos or whatever.   :thumbsup:

Beans?  :beans:

PS. I was wondering when they would put the hammer down on running with a Gorka Jacket on all the time. Actually it would be like running in a plastic bag since the Gorka Jacket is waterproof (But does that have an in game effect?).

Edited by Xbow

I have always been very positive and understanding of the development cycle and every new update, but...

...0.50 is a big disapointment for me. I REALLY dislike the direction this update took. Do we really need the Deringer? Really devs? That is the item that needs to get imported now? Several more types of AK rifles?

I know that making items is a seperate thing from making of new engine or coding and fixing new bugs ect. And it goes in its own pace regardless of the general progress of the development. But I do not even like new items. Derringer is completely useless and I am not talking about firepower. It is a weapon used with much concealment and you basically can whip it out of your sleeve. What good is that in DayZ engine (present one on the future one) when you have to hold it up high like a Magnum? Complete waste of development time IMHO. In what scenario would the Derringer be present in post-Soviet country in that time period? In know the game is fiction but hey lets put in dirt bikes and spaceships because they are "cool"...

Ak rifles? I am not even going to waste any more words on this...

I want more types of clothes, MUCH more variety in shirt type, color, hats, pants, new animals, new house types, new player models (short, tall, fat, slim), reworked Inventory ect.

One thing I greet are couple of new backpack types.

Oh yes, the Welding mask...who in the name of sweet Jesus is determining what items get worked on?

I think you (devs) need to step it up a notch, enough with this "we are happy with breadcrumbs" bs

Edited by Calvin Candie
  • Like 3

Any highlights?

So... the devs decided to implement an elegant solution to the sprinting across the whole map problem. Instead of reducing running speed, which would have upset a lot of people, they limited it by running->overheating->increased water consumption. I am not sure what effect it would have (since most people learned the trick of pumping themself full of water at every well, and maybe that why we get all those towns), but it sounds reasonable.

My touhts so far:

I play for one week now (40 hours) so can't really tell what all is different but after the 0.50 update loot just disapears. I see pants that might have better camo I put them on and my current pants disapear or drop else where (behind me, outside the house, one floor below etc). So now I drag my stuff to the pants on the ground but as soon as I do that, they are gone. No where to be found. Same with guns I see them, open inventory and few seconds later, gone. It happens to 4/10 items. On the other hand new gear seems cool, FPS seems a bit better for me (allthou I do play only up to 50 ping now, before I played up to 80). Zombies still triggerd miles away and hunt you down till one of us is dead and they just know I ran 2 blocks, through 3 houses and hide on 2nd floor in a room, close doors means nothing to them time to time and being really close to them does not trigger them. Unless I hit them.

They seem to have fixed the russian heli crashes, they are no longer in the ground, but with that said, loot around the one russian crash i found was pretty bad

Also I wonder if they changed the way helis spawn. I just found significantly less last night than before. Though that could just be a function of probability distribution

I was half-hoping they would release the first iteration of 0.50 on stable. You know, the one set in december/winter. Imagine...a stable patch where you have to eat every ten meters just to stay in orange "hungry" status, where shoes degrade 10% every step you make, where a simple drizzle make you hypotermic and where canned food spawn once every three real-world days. No matches anywhere, but deers and boars invading Chernarus, mocking you with their dull eyes and plump venison. Everyone is a n00bspawn forever, prowling the same cities at every log in...scavenging in vain for something - anything!

And the few able to reach, by luck or skill, as far as distant Khelm, lost in the fogs of starvation and dehydration? With their purple canvas pants and badly damaged pink hoodies would be kings.

Edited by DocWolf
  • Like 2

I was half-hoping they would release the first iteration of 0.50 on stable. You know, the one set in december/winter. Imagine...a stable patch where you have to eat every ten meters just to stay in orange "hungry" status, where shoes degrade 10% every step you make, where a simple drizzle make you hypotermic and where canned food spawn once every three real-world days. No matches anywhere, but deers and boars invading Chernarus, mocking you with their dull eyes and plump venison. Everyone is a n00bspawn forever, prowling the same cities at every log in...scavenging in vain for something - anything!

And the few able to reach, by luck or skill, as far as distant Khelm, lost in the fogs of starvation and dehydration? With their purple canvas pants and badly damaged pink hoodies would be kings.

I don't see how is that fun. 

I don't see how is that fun.

There are people complaining of a (gameplay-wise) balanced and enjoyable patch. A stable one, too...not too many crashes both server and client side. Learning the hard way there are worse things could be helpful. Or..I was just cracking a joke.

Ah, this forum. So refreshing in its "DayZ is serious business" attitude.

There are people complaining of a (gameplay-wise) balanced and enjoyable patch. A stable one, too...not too many crashes both server and client side. Learning the hard way there are worse things could be helpful. Or..I was just cracking a joke.

Ah, this forum. So refreshing in its "DayZ is serious business" attitude.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154460-so-kos-official-sa-kos-discussion-topic/page-120#entry2143644

My suggestion of what should be done to those people.

I'm really enjoying this build. The new towns are very well built, and some of the smaller ones remind me of the ArmA 2 Stary Sobor and feel like actual villages. North of Severograd there is a brand new run down military base, and it looks really awesome despite not being very valuable in terms of loot. I feel like the game itself runs better this update, at least for me. .49 I was getting maybe 25-30 average, now it feels far smoother.

The new animations for pistols are pretty fitting, while the running animation still looks a bit wonky. Really loving the derringer and the waterproof.

Oh, and did I mention...

5.45x freaking 39 is here!!!!!!

I have always been very positive and understanding of the development cycle and every new update, but...

...0.50 is a big disapointment for me. I REALLY dislike the direction this update took. Do we really need the Deringer? Really devs? ......................

................Oh yes, the Welding mask...who in the name of sweet Jesus is determining what items get worked on?

I think you (devs) need to step it up a notch, enough with this "we are happy with breadcrumbs" bs

Animals.

How about instead of a Welding mask we get Animals that Aggro under certain situations. 

1st Deer...there should be Bucks, Does and Fawns and the Bucks during rutting season should aggro on you if you get too close to their Does (getting impaled and trampled by a Bucks horns and feet should hurt)

2nd Hogs.. there should be Boar, Sows, and piglets when cornered or approached too closely the Bore and Sows should aggro on you and the piglets should scatter. (piglets are tasty morsels)

3rd Bows, and Guns  hitting a Deer or Hog in the butt or gut should not kill it instantly. Lung Heart and Head shots should be instant kills.

4th Where in the hell are those aggressive Russian brown bears?

5th Where in the Hell are those wild dog and wolf packs?

I know some of these items are planned but when will implementation be made?

Screw more military style weapons how about a scope for the CZ527 and a good scoped bolt action hunting rifle in 7.62 x 54r or .308 win?

The Derringer....useless!

The Welding mask...useless

Beans?  :beans:

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 2

I actually really like the animal aggression idea. Would keep lone wolves/hunters like me on our toes.

Along with alternately dying of hypo- or hyperthermia, and keeping our boots together with duct tape of course.

• Like 1