100ftjesus

Can zombies kill animals?

I have searched for an answer to this but no joy...

I was observing the hilarious spectacle of a couple of zombies chasing a stag around a field, never fails to amuse.

I turned my attention onto checking out the town I was going to enter.

I look back at the field a few moments later to see 2 standing zombies and a dead stag...

Could the zombies have caught and killed the stag??  Is this even possible?

More likely the stag was downed by a (silent) gunshot or an arrow, although with no other players in sight and the nearest cover being 100's of meters away it would have been a hell of a shot.  I was in pretty good cover myself and stayed there for quite a while expecting to see someone pop out to claim their prize, but no, the stag disappeared after a while.

Either way it freaked 7 kinds of crap out of me so I legged it...

My next experience was less weird but no less disturbing.  Aggro zombie chasing me, locked myself in a house to loot.  Could hear zombie outside, shuffling and clearing it's throat.  

Then silence...  

I go outside to see the zombie lying dead by the door...  No other sounds occurred, no gunshots, axe thumps, footsteps, nothing. 

I called out, expecting, almost hoping for someone to take a shot at me to prove they existed, but nothing...

Helpful ghost I guess.

I guess they can kill it. But I am not sure how they caught it cause animals run very fast when you try to get close to them. I never can catch them with my hands for example.

Edited by exec85

I have observed zeds chase, catch and kill animals on many occasions, the most frequent victims of this are cows. I have to admit it is one of my favorite things to watch from the hills overlooking the orchards of berezino.

• Like 1

I have observed zeds chase, catch and kill animals on many occasions, 

Thanks Elle.  i wasn't sure if they could actually kill animals, now I know.

(I was thinking the stag was downed by a player stalking me...  God this game makes you paranoid!)

So my next question, can zombies kill each other?  They seem to hit each other when they go aggro together, just never seen one go down from being hit by another?

• Like 1

Yea , they sure can. I watched 2 Walkers chase a deer and he ran into a fenced yard where he became boxed in and they got him :(     I wonder if you can still take the meat and hide , I didn't try.

Yup. Watched them kill a goat once. I tried to save that rare sacred animal, but unfortunately I was too late. I didn't even have a knife to skin and quarter it with, so it was a genuinely wasteful kill.

Thanks Elle.  i wasn't sure if they could actually kill animals, now I know.

(I was thinking the stag was downed by a player stalking me...  God this game makes you paranoid!)

So my next question, can zombies kill each other?  They seem to hit each other when they go aggro together, just never seen one go down from being hit by another?

Yes they can kill each other .. try it out get 3 zeds or more ( 2 is enough but results will be shown quicker with more of them ) stand infront of them and and just before the strike circle around ( you have to time it so the strike will still happen ) now if you circle in a manner to draw the zeds into a line they will start striking each other trying to hit you and sooner or later with you doing nothing more than moving they will start dying from each others hits ( the last one you will have to kill yourself.

Edited by SoulFirez

I often see zombies chasing or killing animals which can be helpful at times. This generally happens because of the lack of proper AI on both sides - zombies aggro over huge distances while animals only flee when danger is kissing them and even then only a very short distance - and animals currently being very easy to kill (you can kill a stag by shooting its leg with a Repeater).

With the implementation of animal/zombie AI and after giving them proper toughness this should get very rare.